The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ways to Make Money by Helping Others

buckwild

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2010
DC area
Just finished a list of thing that give meaning to my life and things I love to do. Some of those things that repeated themself were: family, friends, freedom, helping others, living a life without limitations, and living life to the extreme.

What are some ways I can make money by helping others?

By the way I used How to Find Your Mission in Life by Dane Spotts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now

I think you have it backwards. People aren't in the business to help others and then turn around to make money on the side. I think that defeats the purpose of your charitable donation. People help others because they want to. You don't see people giving millions of dollars (or any monetary figure) and expect money in return. They feel better because they felt a person or group had a need where they thought their money could help.

The other day a guy came up to me and asked if I would buy him a rice krispies treat, brownie and soda. The lady behind the counter probably knew who he was but I could care less what she thought. I felt more comfortable buying him some food rather than giving him money (since he could turn around and go buy drugs or alcohol). But I bought him the food, saw him sit down and eat it. And you know what, I felt better because of that. Not because I expected him to pay me back. I think you should look for another avenue to make money and then from that make your donataions.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I was thinking about this post this morning. If you trully want to help others, why don't you start a business or sell something. Use your funds from this to help others.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Just finished a list of thing that give meaning to my life and things I love to do. Some of those things that repeated themself were: family, friends, freedom, helping others, living a life without limitations, and living life to the extreme.

By the way I used How to Find Your Mission in Life by Dane Spotts.

YOU are the only one that can answer this question, b/c only YOU know what really turns you on.

MJ often says that "do what you love, the money will follow" is crap, at least on the fastlane.

He does have a point: It's more important to have a business that people WANT-- provide a service or product that people will pay for, because they want/need it.

For me, this is where the "do what you love" part comes in:

Figure out things that you like/love to do.

Then, think of products or services involving these things that MILLIONS of people would want to buy.

Then, do your due diligence-- figure out if:

a) You will actually LOVE doing this all the time (100+ hours/week)

b) You actually have a market-- people who will actually PAY MONEY for the things you provide.

That's been my approach, and it seems to work well for me.

-Russ H.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
The way to make money by helping others is to start a business.

A lot of people think commerce is some necessary evil you go through so you can make money to "give back". What exactly did you take in the first place that now requires you to give back? If money was the answer, then you could just dump it on someone's head and walk away.

Honest business is a like-kind exchange of value for value. No giving back is necessary if what you exchange with your customers is quality. If you do not want a like-kind exchange, then by all means become charitable instead. There is no shame in that. But if you want simultaneous fulfillment of others combined with self-fulfillment, create something of value to millions of people and sell it to them.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Rep speed, Pinnacle.

This is EXACTLY what a great business does: Provides and product or service that helps others. And does it at a price that the buyer feels is a great value, while also making money for the business owner.

-Russ H.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
i think what MJ is doing here is an example of doing what you are asking.

Sure it will lead to financial gain but i think this forum/book will turn out better for us and himself due to the fact that he wants to do it and does not HAVE to do it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Start a business based on a need, a deficiency, or a pain point. If you enjoy helping others, "do what you love" becomes irrelevant because it is replaced with passion.

I had a passion for Lamborghini's and I was willing to do ANYTHING to get it, including pick up dog shit, mop floors, and get up at 3am.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
MJ Lambos must have been cheap when you purchased, i didnt know you can pick one of those up by picking up dog shit and mopping floors, i will be up at 3am tomorrow for sure. jk

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
That is true humility by MJ, he led by an example. Oh heaven, sometimes I want to quit my night job and do something else but even that won't solve my financial freedom.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
i understand what he is saying basically he made a mental outline of what he wanted, how to achieve it and made mini steps and did whatever it took to check them off one by one.

Many people think either too big or too small and forget to keep their eyes on the prize, do what it takes but do not slowly step out and go in different directions.

Even if you start making money with something it is not enough, stay fastlane in your head. I started making money doing something but its a trade for time and money. I now use that capital to take it to a step further, and i do whatever it takes to get that capital, but without that fastlane i am pushing to get up i would just be saving money and continue to trade time for money.

but do not listen to me i have not done the fastlane yet im just some guy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.