The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building an eCommerce brand

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Starting this progress thread to show the Fastlane kindergarten how it's done.

I'll update with solid action faking as I go on. Stay tuned.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
You seem to be sabotaging yourself from the start. What's the point of starting if you already title your thread "Watch This Kid Fail again" and mention action faking?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I agree with @MTF. Think, write, and act as the person you want to be. Be super careful of the words you use - they have the power to stop you dead or inspire you onto bigger things. I can change the title if you want and can’t.

Now then. Who will you help and what will you help them with?

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
For eCommerce brands:

Google search ads are where people learn and discover. Google shopping ads are where people buy.

Do you want a 0.5% conversion rate with an optimized landing page or a 5%+? The choice is yours.

Your perception does not equal reality.

If I want to buy something I can type "x widget" or "buy x widget online". The fact remains true: if I see the widget's image and a price then I click and buy. If I'm not yet ready to buy then I'm looking at options and I'll click on some links to discover the options.

Do you think I'm wrong? I probably am... I don't know. But I do have the numbers to back up my thoughts.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Great design is a cherry on top of a cake. A cake of intent. Unless the buyer is looking to buy, it doesn't matter how great your website will look - they will buy.

That's why those shitty dropshipping websites work and that's why not all websites look pretty either.

People don't buy because of the fantastic design. They buy because that's what they came there to do - to get the product that they already want.

TL;DR

Sell first, and then work on the design.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
There’s a lot more to conversion rate optimisation than nice looking design.

Actually nice looking design is barely a factor.

There are split test results to prove that it works.

I get what you are trying to say, but don’t dismiss conversion rate optimisation.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I agree with @MTF. Think, write, and act as the person you want to be. Be super careful of the words you use - they have the power to stop you dead or inspire you onto bigger things. I can change the title if you want and can’t.

Now then. Who will you help and what will you help them with?
Let's rename the thread. How about: "Learning From My Mistakes - Building An Ecommerce Brand"? I think it will reflect the future posts in this thread.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
Let's rename the thread. How about: "Learning From My Mistakes - Building An Ecommerce Brand"? I think it will reflect the future posts in this thread.

Your identity is a very significant influencer of your behavior. Who you ought to be dictates what you must do. And what you must do is oftentimes what you end up doing.

If you identify as a "stupid naive kid," even in a joking fashion, it will likely affect your decisions down the line... like starting this thread with an expectation of failure. How many high performer successful people identify as stupid and walk towards failure? I'd wager not that many.

One thing I say sometimes is "expect success, but prepare for failure." Failure is inevitable, but optimism helps fuel your perseverance. With perseverance, success becomes inevitable as well.

I recommend consciously addressing the language that you use and tailoring it more towards your desired outcomes.

Learning from your mistakes is great. It's fun and exciting and extraordinarily rewarding. How can you take this an extra step further? Can you turn your mistakes into an unavoidable victory? Can you build an empire on a foundation of mistakes? Can you power through your mistakes and reach a world-dominating eCommerce brand?

I think you can. Do you believe me?

Do you believe yourself?

Use your words to project your ideal reality, then transform your work into the bricks you lay to build it.

So... who is this person that will learn from his mistakes and build an (astounding) ecom brand? What does this person look and sound like? Who are the people this person helps? What is the value their effort creates?

WHY are they surmounting their challenges to reach their ideal future?

Answer these questions and align them with your goals, and you'll have a much easier time reaching them.

Anyway, nice lessons thus far. Hopefully, they're based on the action you've taken thus far and more are to come ;)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thread title changed to “Building an eCommerce brand”.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Guys, if you knew how much dirt I already ate with this new brand... lol. It's an insane emotional rollercoaster. Let me stabilize it first and then I'll write in detail day by day what the heck was happening and what lessons I have learned. XD

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Your identity is a very significant influencer of your behavior. Who you ought to be dictates what you must do. And what you must do is oftentimes what you end up doing.

If you identify as a "stupid naive kid," even in a joking fashion, it will likely affect your decisions down the line... like starting this thread with an expectation of failure. How many high performer successful people identify as stupid and walk towards failure? I'd wager not that many.

One thing I say sometimes is "expect success, but prepare for failure." Failure is inevitable, but optimism helps fuel your perseverance. With perseverance, success becomes inevitable as well.

I recommend consciously addressing the language that you use and tailoring it more towards your desired outcomes.

Learning from your mistakes is great. It's fun and exciting and extraordinarily rewarding. How can you take this an extra step further? Can you turn your mistakes into an unavoidable victory? Can you build an empire on a foundation of mistakes? Can you power through your mistakes and reach a world-dominating eCommerce brand?

I think you can. Do you believe me?

Do you believe yourself?

Use your words to project your ideal reality, then transform your work into the bricks you lay to build it.

So... who is this person that will learn from his mistakes and build an (astounding) ecom brand? What does this person look and sound like? Who are the people this person helps? What is the value their effort creates?

WHY are they surmounting their challenges to reach their ideal future?

Answer these questions and align them with your goals, and you'll have a much easier time reaching them.

Anyway, nice lessons thus far. Hopefully, they're based on the action you've taken thus far and more are to come ;)

Thanks for the write-up! I mainly state that not because I actually believe that, but because I get to realize this every single day. I'm more than sure by now that I'm the most stupid person out there. It just helps me realize that I must stay humble, learn and prepare to fail at every step - because that's how I learn and that's ok.

I was born not knowing anything and yet here I am at 24 expect to think that I know something. The fact that I've lost everything I gained and got bankrupt and then the steps I take just show how dumb I am. But not because I lack intelligence, but simple just because I have no experience.

That out of the way, I'll use your phrase from now on. I believe "expect success, but prepare to fail" describes my attitude much better. I can't guarantee success, but I'm 100% confident I'll fail. If not today, but certainly tomorrow or the day after.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
I'm more than sure by now that I'm the most stupid person out there.

Relative to what?

You were born knowing nothing. That's true. But haven't you learned things along the way?

Then you're less ignorant than your past self. Sure, you may not be smarter than *insert arbitrary smart person here* but you sure as hell are smarter than a whooole lot of people out there, including your dumbass past self that has failed however many times.

I reject the notion that you're the most stupid person out there. Your presence on this forum and your many valuable contributions over the past 5 years prove that. Your progress and lessons learned prove that. You being humble enough to even humor the notion proves without a shadow of a doubt that the notion is absurd.

We all lack experience. That's why we must continuously learn. But trying and failing and getting up and trying some more... that's what makes us smart, not stupid. We act to reach our purposeful goals. That's what makes us human. We use our (incomplete) information to deliberate the best course of action, then we follow through.

That's smart!

What's stupid is being carried along by the wave of society without questioning anything, like a mollusk. Being told what your path looks like and following it without question, without deliberation. As a matter of fact, most people are mindless drones shambling down the slowlane, cursing their circumstances they are too stupid to disavow.

You're not one of those people. Therefore, at least in my eyes, you're one of the smartest people out there. You may be naive. You may be ignorant. I don't know enough about you to judge, and I don't care. But I hate seeing people who are conditioned to hold themselves back, burdened by invisible chains they've accepted as a matter of fact.

Being humble is good. Being aware of inevitable failure is good. Being prepared to face your errors and your roadblocks is good. These are all traits that make someone smart.

Being smart doesn't mean you no longer have to learn. It doesn't mean never making mistakes or failing. It doesn't mean knowing everything or being capable of everything.

Hell... I'm gonna be a little mean and give an example here. Ben Carson is a world-renowned neurosurgeon, has many awards and even a movie. He published books and has spoken in front of countless people with great authority. Most people would probably say that guy is really smart. He surely is extraordinarily accomplished. But most people are dumb as bricks, because Ben Carson is genuinely one of the dumbest people I've ever seen in my life... and I've met people who've failed first-grade multiple times, then dropped out before 6th-grade because "school is too hard" and they were already of working age.

Seriously. Just look him up and listen to anything he has to say about anything that isn't neurosurgery and it'll temporarily drop your own IQ by 20 points.

You're smarter than Ben Carson, guaranteed, and he successfully graduated from a top school, operated on people's brains, made millions of dollars, raised a family, and whatever other conventional indicators of success you might think about probably.

What's the difference, really?

Carson had one path. He committed to it and focused on it until he became one of the best in the world at that one particular thing. Specialties are very valuable, so he was rewarded with success. In exchange, he lacks the context and nuance to be smart about things in general. He's got books and a steady hand. Great for him; hope he's happy.

You, on the other hand, are not only already more aware of reality, but you've also learned lessons on your own that most people never learn throughout their entire lives. And you're just getting started! You may not have a successful elite career with a top-tier skill. But you'll continue working and learning and getting smarter. It's only a matter of time before you catch your own big break that justifies everything.

So be at least a little bit proud sometimes. It's not a sin. Proud of your mistakes and the lessons they've taught you. Proud of your bravery to even attempt to deviate from the conventional path of uncertain success and guaranteed servitude. No need for hubris, but confidence sure as hell makes things a lot easier.

Be smart about it ;)

And let us know about the dirt you've digested and all the gold nuggets you've pooped out after haha

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Relative to what?

You were born knowing nothing. That's true. But haven't you learned things along the way?

Then you're less ignorant than your past self. Sure, you may not be smarter than *insert arbitrary smart person here* but you sure as hell are smarter than a whooole lot of people out there, including your dumbass past self that has failed however many times.

I reject the notion that you're the most stupid person out there. Your presence on this forum and your many valuable contributions over the past 5 years prove that. Your progress and lessons learned prove that. You being humble enough to even humor the notion proves without a shadow of a doubt that the notion is absurd.

We all lack experience. That's why we must continuously learn. But trying and failing and getting up and trying some more... that's what makes us smart, not stupid. We act to reach our purposeful goals. That's what makes us human. We use our (incomplete) information to deliberate the best course of action, then we follow through.

That's smart!

What's stupid is being carried along by the wave of society without questioning anything, like a mollusk. Being told what your path looks like and following it without question, without deliberation. As a matter of fact, most people are mindless drones shambling down the slowlane, cursing their circumstances they are too stupid to disavow.

You're not one of those people. Therefore, at least in my eyes, you're one of the smartest people out there. You may be naive. You may be ignorant. I don't know enough about you to judge, and I don't care. But I hate seeing people who are conditioned to hold themselves back, burdened by invisible chains they've accepted as a matter of fact.

Being humble is good. Being aware of inevitable failure is good. Being prepared to face your errors and your roadblocks is good. These are all traits that make someone smart.

Being smart doesn't mean you no longer have to learn. It doesn't mean never making mistakes or failing. It doesn't mean knowing everything or being capable of everything.

Hell... I'm gonna be a little mean and give an example here. Ben Carson is a world-renowned neurosurgeon, has many awards and even a movie. He published books and has spoken in front of countless people with great authority. Most people would probably say that guy is really smart. He surely is extraordinarily accomplished. But most people are dumb as bricks, because Ben Carson is genuinely one of the dumbest people I've ever seen in my life... and I've met people who've failed first-grade multiple times, then dropped out before 6th-grade because "school is too hard" and they were already of working age.

Seriously. Just look him up and listen to anything he has to say about anything that isn't neurosurgery and it'll temporarily drop your own IQ by 20 points.

You're smarter than Ben Carson, guaranteed, and he successfully graduated from a top school, operated on people's brains, made millions of dollars, raised a family, and whatever other conventional indicators of success you might think about probably.

What's the difference, really?

Carson had one path. He committed to it and focused on it until he became one of the best in the world at that one particular thing. Specialties are very valuable, so he was rewarded with success. In exchange, he lacks the context and nuance to be smart about things in general. He's got books and a steady hand. Great for him; hope he's happy.

You, on the other hand, are not only already more aware of reality, but you've also learned lessons on your own that most people never learn throughout their entire lives. And you're just getting started! You may not have a successful elite career with a top-tier skill. But you'll continue working and learning and getting smarter. It's only a matter of time before you catch your own big break that justifies everything.

So be at least a little bit proud sometimes. It's not a sin. Proud of your mistakes and the lessons they've taught you. Proud of your bravery to even attempt to deviate from the conventional path of uncertain success and guaranteed servitude. No need for hubris, but confidence sure as hell makes things a lot easier.

Be smart about it ;)

And let us know about the dirt you've digested and all the gold nuggets you've pooped out after haha

Thank you.

I just wanted to say this. I now believe that my previous actions have imposed limiting beliefs without even realizing it. From now on, I will not beat myself up for being "stupid", rather I will call myself a person who just lacks context, information, and a particular skill with past experience in certain fields in life.

It's okay that I may have felt that way. But I am better now - simply because I understand that mental torture does no good for me. Saying that I am a stupid naive kid does nothing good. It's simply not actionable. Truly understanding where the problems lie will help me move forward better and faster.

Therefore I now believe that I should let go of this attitude and treat myself fairly. Treat me as a young person who is just starting out. Who doesn't have much experience, but who is learning from his own mistakes. A person who has had achievements. A person who has had some failures. But most importantly - a person who is quick to adapt, learn and find creative and new solutions to the problems he consistently faces.

Thank you @Speed112 :clap::

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Guys, if you are just starting out e-commerce and are running ads to your product without having any relevant upsells in the funnel - you're literally burning money and giving yourself so much opportunity to fail.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.