The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Watch Me Build a Startup [12 Month Progress Thread]

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Dear fastlaners,

do you want to watch me build a project/startup live?

In the following 12 months*, I'm going to build multiple APP/SaaS projects** and I will use this thread to document my progress and learnings along the way. This will help me stay accountable for the next 12 months of my progress.

You will be able to watch me build this as I'm going to set up a private live stream on YouTube where you can witness every action I take along the way and listen to my comments. I'm going to work for 4 hours a day Monday to Friday. If on any given day I cannot invest 4 hours, I will catch up on the remaining days during each week.

*I won't be working the full 52 weeks on this, and am planning on 4-6 weeks of holidays during this year
** I do have a background in engineering but I'm new to web development, so in the beginning this will be mostly basic apps and projects

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Here is yesterday's second work session (2hrs):

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E01)

What I learned:
  • Still not sure if React Native is the way to go for my project
  • Could not manage to set up AWS Cloud9 to work on my project (maybe later)
  • Could set up Expo CLI to run a test project in browser

Next steps:
  • configure Expo so I can run test projects on multiple devices
  • start coding my first project

Here's today's session Part 1:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E2 Part 1)

Watch the live stream now:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E2 Part 2)

Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
What SaaS masterclass are you following ?

My SaaS / App / Software-Project resources are:
For coding:
  • The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0
    Completed this last year. Great to get a basic overview. Plan 60+ hours including exercises. Easy at the beginning. Challenging later.
  • React JS - React Tutorial for Beginners
    Did this last week. Great for modern Web Dev (Frontend). Plan 4-5 hours including exercises to get all basic concepts of React JS. Challenging.
  • React Native Tutorial for Beginners - Build a React Native App
    Finished just now. Great for iOS and Android App development (which is something I'm trying to get into now. Easy. Plan 3 hours.
  • The Ultimate React Native Course
    This is basically a continuation of the Beginners Tutorial above. This I will do next. Plan to finish by the end of this week. I need this to be able to finish my current (and probably my upcoming app projects).
  • Currently looking for a good resource for Python, to be able to do a bit more demanding backend stuff. But this is something for the future.
  • Also, I have very little clue about databases (MySQL) and I think this might come in handy in the future. Nothing planned. Probably going to learn about this when I come across the need to learn it.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Updates from last week:

1. I entered an accountability agreement starting on June 11th with a friend to release one daily short-form video on TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube. This week I held up my end of this agreement, and we're keeping ourselves accountable through a WhatsApp Group.

2. As my goal is to up my YouTube game, I spent the last weeks looking for an editor. This week I have had three editors do test work for me and was able to identify a fast and capable video editor, which makes my life releasing videos so much easier. We agreed upon a weekly retainer for him to edit seven short-form videos and two standard videos (8-15 minutes). This will be paid for by my ok-ish performing business (see INSIDERS section) and, over time, will allow me to build something even better.

3. I released a YouTube Video yesterday, currently split-testing two thumbnails from a thumbnail designer using thumbnailtest.com (no affiliation).
View: https://youtu.be/wGZ67Vozb68

4. Scripted and recorded 11 shorts yesterday (to be released next week).

5. Scripted and recorded my next YouTube video today.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
26/7/2023

• Quick facts since the last update:
    • released one short a day
    • released 3 videos (10-15 min range) and fulfilled my goal of two videos a week
    • with the help of my editor, I have built a small buffer, so I have videos waiting to be released. This is meant to serve as a backup for weeks when I'm sick or on holiday or feeling down.
  • I realized my videos perform poorly since I switched to my new thumbnail guy. I can see that the CTR has gone down from the 6-8 % range to 3-4 %. This isn't good, as the CTR is among the most critical factors for a new channel looking to grow it's audience. This is why, for now, I switched back to creating my own thumbnails. Not optimal, but necessary.
  • I re-watched my latest videos after a couple of weeks and noticed that my delivery is bad. This is probably due to my current process of writing and then learning scripts to be able to speak freely. But as English is my third language my speaking skills are insufficient. I think I'm decent at writing and I'm already using AI-tools to improve my writing skills. But in order to improve my speaking skills I would need to
    • A) spend much more time learning my scripts, so I feel secure when speaking into the camera
    • B) speak more with native speakers so I improve my conversational skills
    • C) get help to improve my pronunciation and accent

I will do all of these in the upcoming months and years but for the next videos, I'm switching back to using a teleprompter as I want to have perfect delivery with information-dense content. This of course is a crutch so I need to further improve my skills but for now I will focus on writing better scripts and most importantly: consistency

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Hello.
Where do you get money for living? Do you work?I think it is really important to show for others. Maybe firstly your fail was connected with such fact.
Thank you so much for sharing of your story. So helpful.
With regards.

I have a semi-working business that I cover in the INSIDERS section. Besides that I work as a startup consultant at a Tech University which I cover pretty much in every video I make. Maybe I need to elaborate on that further...

Nicely done! The accountability group will prove useful.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you agree on with the editor? I need to make short form videos and I’m very stuck coming up with things. And on top of that, you have to edit them. What do you ask from the editors and what kind of footage do you provide them with?! F Creative block!

My editor creates 7 shorts and 2 videos a week (10-15 minutes), and I'm paying him 280 USD a week for that.
Here's my process for shorts and videos:
- research video idea
- script video
- add annotations in script for editor
- record A-Roll (me talking into the camera)
- record B-Roll (me enacting scenes that I think support the video)
=> Share script, A-Roll and B-Roll material with editor and provide feedback if needed

Don't waste your time with writer's block / creative issues. Just follow through.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
keep going @Kirk84 keep on truckin! i just dont have time to watch YT but i took a few glimpses and looks promising. coding is something I just cant wrap my head around lol i have much respect for those that can and do it daily.
Thank you for your kind words. I'm a beginner so everything that seems basic takes forever. I took a basic web dev course last year and am now expanding on that knowledge by starting my own projects.

No need to watch the whole thing, I'm just recording this as an accountability measure. I will probably create a time-lapse video at some point.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Yesterday's top learnings:
  • Solved wiggly problems by using fixed size (flex:1)
  • Understood basics of functions and => command
  • Figured out how to make keyboard disappear on mobile devices using <TouchablieWIthoutFeedback> and Keyboard.dismiss() from Keyboard library
  • Figured out how to shink screen on mobile devices when keyboard appears using <KeyboardAvoidingView>
Today's goals:
  • App stores note locally (on the device) even if the user closes the app
  • Note self-destructs after 24 hours
Join today's session live now:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E5 Part1)

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
  • I'm able to save and retrieve data, even when the app or browser window closes
  • I'm still struggling with the basic issue to show the data in the input window when app / browser starts
  • Took a step back and learned basics on React
  • Understood how to create jsx-components and how to use them
  • Understood class structure with state, render and methods
Today's goals:
  • Get more fundamental knowledge of how to use React and React Native through the free Course on YouTube
Watch today's sessions:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E8 Part1)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E8 Part2)

EDIT: Stream broke off again. Got my 4 hours in today.

Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
  • Handling components with parent and child components
  • handing over between child and parents components via .props
  • Switched from brackets to Visual Studio Code and understood it's advantages and used most important shortcuts
Today's goals:
  • End my first course on react js
  • Rebuild everything from the course on my own
  • Start a course on react native to get a more basic understanding of react native
This week's goal:
  • Finish courses by tomorrow at the latest and finish the first app project ASAP

Watch today's sessions live:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E9 Part1)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E9 Part2)

Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
  • Finished the basic course on React JS. Sadly I found out the course I did was 4 years old. Features have moved on so there might be even better React JS features today. Especially using and setting state. So I won't recreate the app I built for now.
  • Started the course on React Native (2 years old, should a good start for now)
  • I should write down more in my personal notes (Obsidian), because I keep googling the same basic questions. I plant to take more notes and build my own knowledge base.
  • Set up iOS Simulator. Working. Nice! :)
  • I keep putting too much on my plate for one day. So I want to plan less.
  • FUN
Today's goals:
  • Go as far as possible with the React Native course (important, as I'm building an App)
This week's goal:
  • Finish courses by tomorrow at the latest and finish the first app project ASAP (Update: Not sure if this is feasible)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E10 Part1)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E10 Part2)

EDIT: Got super sidetracked today for 45 Minutes (important call). Need to add these to my second session .

Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Last Friday's top learnings:
  • Got halfway through the course
  • I really need some basics before building my app
Today's goals:
  • Finish free YouTube Course on React Native
This week's goal:
  • Finish React Native Course
  • Build and release my first App
  • Finish SaaS Masterclass

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E11 Part1)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E11 Part2)

Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany

• Tech:
    • Dove deeper into passing properties from parent to child
    • passing function calls from parent to child components (the parent should implement the function)
    • Rendering FlatLists with custom render components
    • At the moment I'm moving very slow with my RN course. Go much faster! I want to stop understanding everything 100 % and just know where I can look up stuff
  • Biz:
    • Got some pretty decent ideas that need some kind of validation
    • Interview former colleague with buiz idea
Today's goals:
  • 3-4 hours of solid programming (GO FASTER!)
  • 2 hours of SaaS Masterclass
This week's goal:
  • Finish React Native Course (won't succeed)
  • Build and release my first App (won't succeed)
  • Finish SaaS Masterclass (maybe will succeed)

Today's session:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E15)

Today's learnings:

Biz:

• Process to creating a successful SaaS
    • FIND AN EXISTING SaaS, study it and find out everything about it: How many users? What's their revenue? What's their cost structure? Do they spend on ads? Do they have an affiliate offer?
    • If SaaS is successful (researched metrics look good) JUST COPY IT! Do not copy super hyped VC backed startups, that are far away from break-even-point and just pumping money at Google and Facebook Ads). This is not something you want to do. You want something that's already working.
    • ADD YOUR OWN SPIN ON IT (find something that's bad about it and make it better; if it's a desktop app, make a cloud app out of it; if it looks shitty, make a nice design; or just build an amazing landing page)
  • KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID (no extra features, clear value)
  • Draw out exact user flow and logic of SaaS to copy (except the standard stuff covered by boilerplate) and the backend-calls
  • Hire developers (I'm ignoring this for now, because I want to be able to develop my own stuff. Also, I think it's fun. I think it's fun and I don't have the funds to outsource atm. So outsource later.)
  • Figure out traffic BEFORE launching. Get feedback from top 100 users
  • Launch your SaaS, as soon as possible. People spend way too long polishing their SaaS.
  • Never get married to an idea! If it doesn't work out after 3 months. DROP IT! Hahah, I think I definitely made some mistakes here in the past

Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
I'm reviving this thread to show everybody what failure looks like.

But not any kind of failure. The worst kind of failure: Giving up!

My original commitment was 12 months of building SaaS products. I gave up after the first month.

Never shipping a product.

Never even finishing my first product.

Never fully admitting my failure but simply moving on.

What happened? I'm glad you ask. I could start looking for excuses. It would be easy to say that I got tangled up in a promising startup project that went nowhere (shiny new object syndrome). I could say that my original business got some traction (see the INSIDERS section). I could even say that my day job demanded more time, or my health declined. While all of these facts are technically true, it still makes them nothing but excuses!

I should have ignored shiny new objects.

I should have committed myself to a feasible workload.

I should have planned for unexpected workload in my day job.

I did not. So this is my failure, and I take full responsibility for my dire situation, which is my life circumstances. I am no further than I was 12 months ago. No, actually, I'm worse off today because I'm one year older with one more failure to my name.

But enough crying. Time to man up, cut my losses, pick myself up, and move on.

So, I went back to the drawing board. What had I done wrong? What do I need to change? What can I learn from this failure? How can I make sure this never happens again?

YouTube has always been in the back of my mind. I know other threads question the validity of YouTube being Fastlane. But at this moment, I really don't care. I need to commit myself to something, really anything, and stick with it for a longer period. Develop real skills and turn these into a thriving business. This is why I made 18 simple rules in January this year. Rules that only apply to me because I know my strengths and weaknesses. Here's a shortened version of my rules:

Rule 0 - Never stop, never quit, never give up
Rule 1 - Prioritize your mental & physical health
Rule 2 - Work in Zone 2
Rule 3 - Ignore the woman in the red dress
Rule 4 - Post at least one video per week
Rule 5 - Strive for perfection, and accept that it is unattainable
Rule 6 - Follow the best practice you have learned
Rule 7 - Write the best possible scripts
Rule 8 - Don't change your rules for at least three years
Rule 9 - Ignore the statistics
Rule 10 - Be helpful but know your value
Rule 11 - You are a creator, not a consumer. A Leader, not a follower.
Rule 12 - Do not forget your goal of delivering value
Rule 13 - Maximum speed and no mistakes
Rule 14 - Nobody will save you
Rule 15 - Be humble and self-confident
Rule 16 - Do not question your daily plan
Rule 17 - Confirm your rules every day

Now I know I'm not perfect. As you can see, I already broke some of my rules. I have not released one video per week. In the past, this would have been a reason to stop altogether. That is okay. I accept my yesterday's failures. Today is a new day.

Why is this time different? Frankly speaking: I'm sick of it.

I'm sick of failing.

I'm sick of giving up.

I'm sick of returning to base-line.

I call this: Fear of returning to Zero.

Zero is the starting point for anything. We start counting from Zero. When we start a business, we start at Zero. When we begin a workout routine, we're at Zero. I have developed a genuine fear of returning to Zero.

I know, I broke this forum's trust before by not delivering on my last year's promise. Why, then, should you believe anything I say?

You're right. It would be best if you didn't believe anything I wrote here. Talk is cheap. This is why I won't promise anything here. I won't keep up with you regularly. I won't update my progress. I won't even share all my new learnings and steps that I make. What I will do instead is: Deliver!

You will be able to witness my progress here.

See you on the other side.

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
May 24, 2021
I'm reviving this thread to show everybody what failure looks like.

But not any kind of failure. The worst kind of failure: Giving up!

My original commitment was 12 months of building SaaS products. I gave up after the first month.

Never shipping a product.

Never even finishing my first product.

Never fully admitting my failure but simply moving on.

What happened? I'm glad you ask. I could start looking for excuses. It would be easy to say that I got tangled up in a promising startup project that went nowhere (shiny new object syndrome). I could say that my original business got some traction (see the INSIDERS section). I could even say that my day job demanded more time, or my health declined. While all of these facts are technically true, it still makes them nothing but excuses!

I should have ignored shiny new objects.

I should have committed myself to a feasible workload.

I should have planned for unexpected workload in my day job.

I did not. So this is my failure, and I take full responsibility for my dire situation, which is my life circumstances. I am no further than I was 12 months ago. No, actually, I'm worse off today because I'm one year older with one more failure to my name.

But enough crying. Time to man up, cut my losses, pick myself up, and move on.

So, I went back to the drawing board. What had I done wrong? What do I need to change? What can I learn from this failure? How can I make sure this never happens again?

YouTube has always been in the back of my mind. I know other threads question the validity of YouTube being Fastlane. But at this moment, I really don't care. I need to commit myself to something, really anything, and stick with it for a longer period. Develop real skills and turn these into a thriving business. This is why I made 18 simple rules in January this year. Rules that only apply to me because I know my strengths and weaknesses. Here's a shortened version of my rules:

Rule 0 - Never stop, never quit, never give up
Rule 1 - Prioritize your mental & physical health
Rule 2 - Work in Zone 2
Rule 3 - Ignore the woman in the red dress
Rule 4 - Post at least one video per week
Rule 5 - Strive for perfection, and accept that it is unattainable
Rule 6 - Follow the best practice you have learned
Rule 7 - Write the best possible scripts
Rule 8 - Don't change your rules for at least three years
Rule 9 - Ignore the statistics
Rule 10 - Be helpful but know your value
Rule 11 - You are a creator, not a consumer. A Leader, not a follower.
Rule 12 - Do not forget your goal of delivering value
Rule 13 - Maximum speed and no mistakes
Rule 14 - Nobody will save you
Rule 15 - Be humble and self-confident
Rule 16 - Do not question your daily plan
Rule 17 - Confirm your rules every day

Now I know I'm not perfect. As you can see, I already broke some of my rules. I have not released one video per week. In the past, this would have been a reason to stop altogether. That is okay. I accept my yesterday's failures. Today is a new day.

Why is this time different? Frankly speaking: I'm sick of it.

I'm sick of failing.

I'm sick of giving up.

I'm sick of returning to base-line.

I call this: Fear of returning to Zero.

Zero is the starting point for anything. We start counting from Zero. When we start a business, we start at Zero. When we begin a workout routine, we're at Zero. I have developed a genuine fear of returning to Zero.

I know, I broke this forum's trust before by not delivering on my last year's promise. Why, then, should you believe anything I say?

You're right. It would be best if you didn't believe anything I wrote here. Talk is cheap. This is why I won't promise anything here. I won't keep up with you regularly. I won't update my progress. I won't even share all my new learnings and steps that I make. What I will do instead is: Deliver!

You will be able to witness my progress here.

See you on the other side.
@Kirk84 So what you have demonstrated here is exactly what is needed to succeed ie. The boring, every day random, 'I don't feel like' attitude and feelings we all go through.
Most of the journey as I have discovered, is this mundane persisitence and discipline which are 2 of the key ingredients.
KEEP TO THE RULES is what I tell myself. And take breaks in between.
It's a god damn marathon, not a sprint.

PS - I am beginning to trust that Youtube maybe be quite good to keep you focussed & on track.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
  • View can nest other components like View, Text or Texinput
  • Use <SafeViewArea> for iOS to place main window under the iOS top bar showing time, battery state and so on
  • Understood how to use padding and margin
  • Don't use dynamic TextInput height, as it results in wiggly TextInput (known issue)
Today's goals:
  • Solve wiggly TextInput area on iOS
  • understand dynamic height thing and arrow command
  • App stores note locally (on the device) even if the user closes the app
  • Note self-destructs after 24 hours
Today's sessions:
Watch Me Build an App (S01-E4 Part 1)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E4 Part 2)

Sadly there's one hour missing from the stream.

Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
keep going @Kirk84 keep on truckin! i just dont have time to watch YT but i took a few glimpses and looks promising. coding is something I just cant wrap my head around lol i have much respect for those that can and do it daily.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Watching this thread, good luck! :smile:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
  • Understood how arrow functions work in React
  • Understood State and updating State in React
  • Async Auto-Saving works - the user does not need to click on the button to save the inputs automatically
Today's goals:
  • Load the user note when browser/app starts
  • Delete note after 24 hours
Watch today's sessions:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E7 Part1)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E7 Part2)

Last edited:

sailorssoot

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 9, 2022
Just discovered this topic and thank you for doing this, I will try to watch your content as you are doing exactly what I am planning to do once I learn coding.
Just one beginner question, you went from react to android studio and maybe swift (for IOS), is it hard to do the transition from webapp to android/ios, are you building a native app for both environements or will your mobile app be a web app displayed on mobile ?
Most React Native (RN) applications will not require you to venture outside of the comfort of React/JavaScript. It is only when you are looking to extend functionality outside of what RN already provides that you will have to start using native languages for iOS and Android.

As a beginner it is not expected of you to be messing around with Native Java/Swift, especially if you have no prior experience with either of those languages. If you really never want to touch native code then Expo is they way forward, it is a much larger RN ecosystem that includes support for numerous community packages that allow you to streamline application development, but with limitations.

RN allows your JavaScript code to interact with the native API's provided by the OS, e.g. Android/iOS. It's too large of a topic to include in a forum comment, but it is worth taking a look at the React Native Architecture Overview page if you are interested in learning more.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Just discovered this topic and thank you for doing this, I will try to watch your content as you are doing exactly what I am planning to do once I learn coding.
Just one beginner question, you went from react to android studio and maybe swift (for IOS), is it hard to do the transition from webapp to android/ios, are you building a native app for both environements or will your mobile app be a web app displayed on mobile ?

As @sailorssoot wrote, it's not something to discuss or learn in a forum. I suggest you watch the first couple of minutes of this introductory video to React Native to see what it does. I'm currently in the process of doing this mini course.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
  • Learned how to structure my React Native projects in VS Code
  • Baby Steps
Today's goals:
  • Go as far as possible with Mosh React Native Course
  • Go as far as possible with the SaaS Masterclass
This week's goal:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E12 Part1)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E12 Part2)

Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
  • Structuring my project
  • Passing properties to child components and using them
  • Accessing Objects by name in React Native "object[name]" (although I don't fully understand this tbh
  • Not sure if I'm wasting my time with the course(s) I picked. So, I decided to go through it much faster and only code along if I think I will need this in the near future. It's more important to finish my first project now and release it ASAP, show it to users and track usage over a couple of weeks. Find out if users are returning and if the user base is growing organically. If so, try and monetize. In parallel to this, build my second project.
Today's goals:
  • 4 hours of solid programming along with the Mosh course on React Native.
  • 2 hours of SaaS Masterclass.
  • Stay focused and do not answer phone calls during work sessions.
This week's goal:

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E13 Part1)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E13 Part2)

Watch Me Build an App (S01-E13 Part3)

EDIT: Stream keeps breaking up, will upload a recording in the evening :)

Last edited:

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Thumbnails and video quality are really good. Only watched your latest but I see the potential. Good luck!

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
2/9/2023

• I've been consistently uploading two videos per week since the last update
  • My shorts production did fall short however
  • I am very satisfied with my editor, who is fast and reliable
  • I've had two videos cross the 1,000 views mark (not counting shorts) but also many failures with less than 100 views
  • Reading from the teleprompter has made life much easier for me
  • I'm still in search of my niche. Since my best-performing video is on AI, I will focus more on these topics as this is my background, and this is where I can compete with others very well.
  • I constantly remind myself that it takes time to build something of value and learn the skills

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France
What SaaS masterclass are you following ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.