The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Warning: Coinbase might be closing profitable trading accounts

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
TL;DR: I believe that Coinbase terminated my account for being profitable using "buy low; sell high" technique.

I just started trading btc & eth on coinbase as of this year (January 2017). By watching the trends of mostly ethereum, I've been able to land on the winning side of the majority of my trades.

A few days ago, I get a letter from coinbase stating they are closing my account due to violation of the Terms of Service in accordance with FinCen.gov. Unfortunately, their customer service is non-existent and has not respond to me.

I don't know why I would have been targeted as I would not have been required to file these gains for another 8+ months.

This may be a coincidence, but this notice of account closure came two days after I broke 15k profit.

This is not a boo-hoo pity party for me, as there are plenty of other ways to buy/sell crypto with far better privacy. I will definitely spend more time in learning about these.
Anyhow, this is mostly a heads-up warning.

If you are doing what I was doing, might want to chill for a while until we know what FinCec is up to..

P.S.: Willing to try to answer questions to any questions about my limited foray into the world of crypto trading.

D8IS9zF.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Yup that's what it looks like. At least they are giving you a chance to withdraw your remaining balance.

Those are really good returns not bad. How much did you start it with. I have some coins laying around I might start doing this too.

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
Yup that's what it looks like. At least they are giving you a chance to withdraw your remaining balance.

Those are really good returns not bad. How much did you start it with. I have some coins laying around I might start doing this too.
My initial investment was $300 on eth and $500 on btc. I did far better with eth. My biggest win was when I bought about $4000 USD when it was just unde $30 USD per 1 ETH early March and sold out at $310'ish per 1 ETH. If you are just getting in now, I'd recommend watching patterns of one currency for a few weeks before spending any serious amount of money. Eth is in a weird funk right now and it's not something I feel confident about guessing their fate.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
My initial investment was $300 on eth and $500 on btc. I did far better with eth. My biggest win was when I bought about $4000 USD when it was just unde $30 USD per 1 ETH early March and sold out at $310'ish per 1 ETH. If you are just getting in now, I'd recommend watching patterns of one currency for a few weeks before spending any serious amount of money. Eth is in a weird funk right now and it's not something I feel confident about guessing their fate.

Do you know any cryoto currency platforms strictly for trading? Also is crypto currency trading regulated like the currencies in wall street by the feds.

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
Do you know any cryoto currency platforms strictly for trading? Also is crypto currency trading regulated like the currencies in wall street by the feds.

I'm fully aware and will be declaring my profits on my 2018 returns. I'm totally fine with that.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I'm fully aware and will be declaring my profits on my 2018 returns. I'm totally fine with that.
I was not trying to imply that you had to report your earnings. I only wanted to know if there were any regulations that you know of.

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
I was not trying to imply that you had to report your earnings. I only wanted to know if there were any regulations that you know of.
Yes, you have to pay on any crytpo that you have sold and made profit on. That said, I believe you can hold your earnings in a temporary account that is not subject to capital gains.

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
Sorry, I misread it. I don't know a ton about it. I've heard that bigger exchanges are getting pressured to turn over records to the IRS and they have been fighting it in court. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they lose (if they haven't already) and regulations will get much tighter.

Regarding trading systems, I have heard of a few, the one that I've heard about most is Features - Coinigy, Professional Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Trading Platform but I have absolutely no experience with it nor heard enough about it to vouch for it. After losing my coinbase account, I will probably do some research and check out coinigy and see what else is out there. Someone also recommended Bisq - The P2P exchange network too but that looks like it might be more work, but you get more privacy. I'll report back once I've had time to play with them.

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
Any update for us OP? Did you ever find a better trading site?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England
And you talked about getting taxed on your earnings why would you want to sell bitcoin? Its brightest days are ahead in 2-10 years bitcoin will have been adopted by alot of stores so you can use your bitcoin to buy a lot of things

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
Any update for us OP? Did you ever find a better trading site?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I have been told Gemini is good but they don't allow sign-ups from my state (Oregon). As other mentioned, bittrex looks good but I have only looked at it for a few mins. Right now I'm on Kraken and while I've only exchanged some eth for btc, it looks promising.

I'm all honestly, after coinbase shut me down, I kind lost interest. I took my profits from crypto and started an account for day trading and I've actually had some success in that and I have come to enjoy not having to worry about having my account shut down out of the blue.

I might come back to cryptos as I think there is good potentia, but I'm not sure when. Sorry to leave everyone hanging.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.