The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wantrepreneur looking to get his s*** together

Jadyndad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jun 1, 2017
Singapore
Hi all Fastlaners and aspiring Fastlaners, greetings from the other side of the world.

I am a 33 yr old, newly minted dad from Singapore.

I have been thinking about how to do this introduction, but I guess the best way is just to stick to the facts and hide nothing.

So here goes.

As the title suggest, I am a Wantrepreneur. I am always looking for the ONE great idea. The ONE killer product. The ONE ultimate trading strategy. In short, I was looking for the EASY and QUICK way to become wealthy. In my mind, as long as i nailed the next BIG thing, I was done! That one idea was just what I need.

And somehow, I managed to convinced myself that some of the ideas that I came up with was the ONE. Here are some of those ideas.

• Coffee beans distribution (The cafe scene is exploding in Singapore! If they all use my beans, I will be rich!)
  • Provide Barista Training (If I train these guys wanting to become a Barista, I will be rich!)
  • Web App targeted to the Construction Sector (These guys are rich, they would pay me to use my app, the app is awesome!)
  • Utility Mobile App for parents (This app is too awesome, every parent will need it!)
  • E-publishing (I am the next J.K. Rowling!)
The list goes on, I am not going to bored you with my fantasies.

The truth is, if I took continuous action towards any of the idea, I might have stood a chance. Even if it doesn't earn me millions, it would at least be something. Whenever the initial excitement about the "New Shiny Thing" dies off, I would start to conjure excuses and reasons on why it will not work. Then I will go on looking for the next BIG thing.

4 years later, no where near the fastlane, and not even on the slowlane.

Then the best thing happened. We had our son. Then the next best thing happened, I read The Millionaire Fastlane .

I had been an avid reader of business books, self improvement books and such. From The Rich dad series to The 4 hour work week. But none of them blew me away like TMF did. It was like @MJ DeMarco stood in front of me and slapped me with the book. I totally woke up from my dreams. I realised that I had been chasing after events instead of going through the process. I had the Sidewalker mentality. I failed to take REAL actions.

I am ready to get blown away the second time with Unscripted . Its gonna arrive by the end of the week.

But the crazy thing is, if I did not have my son, the enthusiasm and excitement will likely just fade away after awhile, like my ideas.

With no slowlane job, I am the one taking care of him at home while my wife goes to work. Shoutout to my wife. I love you dear. Thanks for always supporting me despite all my bulls***. With all the diaper changes, the milk bottles, the playtimes, the laughter, the cries. I realised I will never trade anything for this time with him. The chance of actually being there with him is priceless.

And that is the purpose. TIME is the purpose. Having the freedom to spend TIME on whatever you choose to do, is the destination.

It dawn on me after reading TMF that it is not about the fast cars, big houses, branded stuffs, fancy holidays, all of that is just bonus, if you choose to want it. It is just about the freedom to choose whatever we want to do with our TIME.

That will be something I will lose if I continue on this path of ruin. And it scares the s*** out of me now.

Now, completely awake from my dreams, I will begin to take my first step to join the ranks of the fastlane. I have an action step list waiting to to be completed and I am really glad that I took checked the first off my list. Joining the Fastlane Forum.

I know its not going to be an easy ride, and I know that I will need the frequent kick in the butt to keep at it. I told my wife to give it to me if she finds me slacking. Now I know that I can find that in here too.

My thanks to everyone who spent the time to read my introduction, you are very kind to listen to the words of a stranger. I hope that this introduction has not been too boring to read.

Thank you again @MJ DeMarco. Thanks for the slap.

See you guys around!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro and thank you for sharing. Glad you enjoyed TMF . Of all your ideas, I think all of them have merit. Pay attention to the value array/attributes I disclose in UNSCRIPTED -- it will show you how to engineer opportunities in those areas.

Jadyndad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jun 1, 2017
Singapore
Great intro and thank you for sharing. Glad you enjoyed TMF . Of all your ideas, I think all of them have merit. Pay attention to the value array/attributes I disclose in UNSCRIPTED -- it will show you how to engineer opportunities in those areas.

Thx for your reply MJ!

I fully agree that it was not the idea that was the problem. It was always ME.

I did not do the due diligence for the CENTS and follow up on the execution. Ashamed to say that I was always taking a few steps before my fire burned out.

I filed the papers for companies, opened bank accounts, even learned how to code in Ruby on Rails for the Web App. But ultimately I did not follow through with any of them.

Really looking forward to Unscripted now that you point it out. Will definitely review all of my ideas and find the one that I fully act upon with my current time allowance.

Feeling great!

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
What market research have you done regarding coffee bean distribution?

Jadyndad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jun 1, 2017
Singapore
What market research have you done regarding coffee bean distribution?

I was introduced to the business through the training school where I took my Barista Trainer certification. The owner was a small batch coffee roaster with the intention of expanding his business. Thus he needed distributors to aid in his expansion. Adding on to that the training school also held trainings to assist new cafes in setting up the equipments, training their staffs, even guiding day to day operations.

So basically it's, Cafe consultation, staff training, equipments supply, coffee bean distribution. A one stop shop service. Beans were a consumable and there's definitely reoccurring income to that.

Prior to diving in, all the market research I did was finding out how many competitors were there (about 4-5 major roasters), 400-500 active cafes in the market (100-200 either close down or change hands every year). When around tasting the blends from all the major roasters and the supplier was providing something or equivalent or higher quality.

It all sounds pretty good at this point, and taking the owners word for it, I did not question the margins that he was giving. And the best part, we were doing it on consignment. There was no inventory on our part. That's a great deal! And I jumped in.

1 month into the business, I made about S$2000 in profit (selling a machine to my wife's friend who just opened a cake shop) I made 0 sales to other cafes. ( Due to the lack of action on my part)

And my excuses began. Some could even be quite valid reasons.

- The supplier is doing his own distribution. Although he said that he is retailing at the same price, the distributors would never truly know.
- Majority of the market share is taken by 4-5 of the main suppliers. And if the coffee is good, owners were reluctant to change their blend as it will hurt their taste profile, and thus affecting their business.
- training from cafes were dwindling, the supplier did not promote the training course effectively, thus sources from it dwindle badly as well
- found out that the margin given to us was below market standards, did not do diligence on the prices offered by other suppliers.
- the consumers were not sophiscated enough to know the subtle difference between different beans. And with the major players being so established, it's hard to match it.

These are just some of the excuses/reasons, for not going on with the business. But I did learn a fair deal of what to look out for when dealing with something like that in the future.

TheNewRich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
May 17, 2017
usa
As the title suggest, I am a Wantrepreneur. I am always looking for the ONE great idea. The ONE killer product. The ONE ultimate trading strategy. In short, I was looking for the EASY and QUICK way to become wealthy. In my mind, as long as i nailed the next BIG thing, I was done! That one idea was just what I need.

The truth is, if I took continuous action towards any of the idea, I might have stood a chance. Even if it doesn't earn me millions, it would at least be something. Whenever the initial excitement about the "New Shiny Thing" dies off, I would start to conjure excuses and reasons on why it will not work. Then I will go on looking for the next BIG thing.

Jadyndad,

I feel like this is me down to the T... I spend so much time preparing to take action and I never do. I lose interest, I convince myself from reading in some forums it wont work. On some of my ideas (dropshipping, amazon fba, you know the youtube guru's 500 dollar plans) maybe it was a good call but I will never know....

Thanks for your post sir!

Jadyndad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jun 1, 2017
Singapore
Jadyndad,

I feel like this is me down to the T... I spend so much time preparing to take action and I never do. I lose interest, I convince myself from reading in some forums it wont work. On some of my ideas (dropshipping, amazon fba, you know the youtube guru's 500 dollar plans) maybe it was a good call but I will never know....

Thanks for your post sir!

Really Glad my post provided some value to you!

I now know that it isn't really about which business you should be in or which great idea. As long as you can deliver the maximum value, it's all that counts.

So right now I am in the midst of going through my list of ideas to narrow it down to the one that I can deliver the MOST value in my current situation.

Cheers!

Welcome Jady !!

Welcome to the forum :)

Hi Roy!

Thanks for the welcome! It's Nick by the way, Jadyn is the name of my son, so Jadyn-Dad?

He's my precious so :)

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
Hi all Fastlaners and aspiring Fastlaners, greetings from the other side of the world.

I have been thinking about how to do this introduction, but I guess the best way is just to stick to the facts and hide nothing.

So here goes.

And somehow, I managed to convinced myself that some of the ideas that I came up with was the ONE. Here are some of those ideas.

• Coffee beans distribution (The cafe scene is exploding in Singapore! If they all use my beans, I will be rich!)
  • Provide Barista Training (If I train these guys wanting to become a Barista, I will be rich!)
  • Web App targeted to the Construction Sector (These guys are rich, they would pay me to use my app, the app is awesome!)
  • Utility Mobile App for parents (This app is too awesome, every parent will need it!)

Then the best thing happened. We had our son. Then the next best thing happened, I read The Millionaire Fastlane .

I had been an avid reader of business books, self improvement books and such. From The Rich dad series to The 4 hour work week. But none of them blew me away like TMF did. It was like @MJ DeMarco stood in front of me and slapped me with the book. I totally woke up from my dreams. I realised that I had been chasing after events instead of going through the process. I had the Sidewalker mentality. I failed to take REAL actions.

I am ready to get blown away the second time with Unscripted . Its gonna arrive by the end of the week.

But the crazy thing is, if I did not have my son, the enthusiasm and excitement will likely just fade away after awhile, like my ideas.

With no slowlane job, I am the one taking care of him at home while my wife goes to work. Shoutout to my wife. I love you dear. Thanks for always supporting me despite all my bulls***. With all the diaper changes, the milk bottles, the playtimes, the laughter, the cries. I realised I will never trade anything for this time with him. The chance of actually being there with him is priceless.

And that is the purpose. TIME is the purpose. Having the freedom to spend TIME on whatever you choose to do, is the destination.

It dawn on me after reading TMF that it is not about the fast cars, big houses, branded stuffs, fancy holidays, all of that is just bonus, if you choose to want it. It is just about the freedom to choose whatever we want to do with our TIME.

That will be something I will lose if I continue on this path of ruin. And it scares the s*** out of me now.

Now, completely awake from my dreams, I will begin to take my first step to join the ranks of the fastlane. I have an action step list waiting to to be completed and I am really glad that I took checked the first off my list. Joining the Fastlane Forum.

I know its not going to be an easy ride, and I know that I will need the frequent kick in the butt to keep at it. I told my wife to give it to me if she finds me slacking. Now I know that I can find that in here too.

My thanks to everyone who spent the time to read my introduction, you are very kind to listen to the words of a stranger. I hope that this introduction has not been too boring to read.

See you guys around!
Hello Guy :)

It was not too boring.... Because I am feeling understood, I am exactly in the same case !!!!!

I am not at home, I have a slowlane JOB but I have many ideas who are wrote in a book and many plans and Goals !!!!

At this time, I already have create a society, open bank account, my website is OK, but I didn't do nothing more to sells my first products since months..............

I am always waiting something more to take ACTION, and my motivation lost far away.......

KEEP GOING my Friend.

You're in the right way :)

Gigi Rodgers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
May 30, 2017
Shanghai, China

So here goes.

See you guys around!

Hey yo!
Congratulations on your new baby boy and for getting past the "new and shiny thing" syndrome I think we all go in and out of from time to time.

I may be overstepping my boundaries but I feel like this should be said.
You said, "I told my wife to give me [a kick in the butt] if she finds me slacking". Don't have her do that.
Instead, work SO HARD that she has to tell you, "Baby, leave it for tomorrow, and come to bed".

You said you're doing this for: Time, your son, your wife, and don't forget - yourself.
Keep that in mind when you decide to give yourself "a break" to watch an episode of House of Cards (or whatever way you "slack off")

Breaks are necessary, don't get me wrong.
I, personally, have to walk away from projects all the time to clear my head.

But you know (as well as all of us do) when you're distracting yourself from the real work that needs to be done.
The phone calls you need to make.
The emails you need to send out.
The Skype meeting you need to prep for.

So make that conscious decision to just do the work.

And with that being said - what I usually do to keep myself on track:
1) Get a piece of paper and pen.
2) Make a grid on the paper and fill it in with numbers from 1-90
3) Every day that I get a specific task done, i.e., email 5 potential customer prospects, I 'X' out a grid.

And now I'm obsessed with not "breaking the chain" of X's I've accumulated.
Fun fact: I do this for flossing as well.

With that being said, let's jump into action, yes?

It's good that you have a book of ideas. That's good practice.
It's even better practice that you are looking around your current surroundings and seeing the 'need' for a service. Or a service that you can do better than your competitors.

I actually wrote a case study about a mother of 5, who worked in IT for 18 years, who saw a need - especially once she was laid off - to teach business owners how to build their website for their business. She's now making close to $3K per month, and will be on track to make her previous IT salary of $55K by the end of June next year.
Here's a guy that saw a need for dog walking in Staten Island. He's making over $100K per year.
And then there's Joseph Ades who created "the need" of a potato peeler. Listen to his sales pitch carefully. He made $1MM selling potato peelers just like this.

If you meant what you said, "even if it doesn't earn me millions, it would at least be something" - start your strategy with the mother of 5 case study.
She started from scratch and made $1K in a week of her starting.
That's something.

Start off with something small, local, and doable. Keep your customer base small at first and do that customer/market research.
That's something.

Find out things you can cut, things you can improve, how you go above and beyond their expectations.
Learn how to run a small business.
That's a BIG something.

Start making a profit of a few hundred bucks.
It's not one million. But it's something.

wanadowellson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 13, 2017
City

So here goes.

See you guys around!

33 year old? You're the real baby in terms of finally being woke. Glad that you finally realize that you found that spark in you that is going to push yourself to the next level. Excited for your journey ahead and keep hustling.

Jadyndad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jun 1, 2017
Singapore
Hey yo!
Congratulations on your new baby boy and for getting past the "new and shiny thing" syndrome I think we all go in and out of from time to time.

Hi @Gigi Rodgers! Thanks for taking the time to give me some guidelines, your case study and the other 2 guides you provided were really beneficial. It has never crossed my mind that you could sell a potato peeler this way and make a million out of it! The sales pitch was engaging and makes you want to try the peeler out for yourself!

I will need to brush up my copywriting skills. It will make a HUGE difference in getting sales for my business.

Learning as I GO!

You said, "I told my wife to give me [a kick in the butt] if she finds me slacking". Don't have her do that.
Instead, work SO HARD that she has to tell you, "Baby, leave it for tomorrow, and come to bed".

She actually did that just 2 days ago! I have been reading and marking down the important points in Unscripted these past few days and she actually told me to take a break and go to bed earlier that night. I can't tell you how good that felt!

33 year old? You're the real baby in terms of finally being woke. Glad that you finally realize that you found that spark in you that is going to push yourself to the next level. Excited for your journey ahead and keep hustling.

LOL. I wish I was really a baby in this sense. Commitments have started to pile up since my son is born. (He is the real deal!), you could seriously be dug in deep when life happens to you. I have seen friends around me basically giving up the dream and just lived for the day. Cash flows out way faster now.

We have made the decision to buy a car for the sake of safety and convenience for our son. And cars are crazy expensive here in Singapore. 90 Grand only buys you a Mitsubishi Lancer. Thats like the cheapest 1.6L sedan that I can find in the market now. (Yup thats the new ride). Wife doesn't like second hand so hence the new purchase. We are really tight now.

My little piece of advice for anyone who is thinking of spending on the next new thing. Before you take out the plastic card in your wallet. Think, Think and THINK! Do you really, absolutely have to buy that? What REAL change will it make to your life? Is the change mostly superficial and you will not even remember the difference between the time you have it and the time when you DON'T have it? Most of the time, at least for me, the card stays in the wallet. Thinking it through stops me from buying crap.

Now just a little update on what I have been up to.

Over these few days I have heard several mentions of my product niche and how it seems that it is always that 1 major company that the customers are always going to. It gave me confidence that there is a big market and its mainly dominated by that 1 Shark, with many little guppies trying to survive. And there are ways for me to get a piece of the pie by skewing the value attributes.

So far, I have been listing down the value attributes and making sure that I have covered ALL the primary and secondary attributes that I can think of for my business. After going through them all and visiting the current sellers in the market, I found out that I could skew in value for 1 of the primary attribute and a multiple of other secondary attributes. I was quite surprised that there was so much that can be improved on. With this, I have nailed down the NEED for the business. I could become the baby shark!

I would have CONTROL over the entire business as I will be funding it using my savings and doing all the work by myself. I will have dependents which will be my suppliers and manufacturers. But otherwise I have all the say.

If I were to do reselling of the product(s), the ENTRY would be violated as it would be quite easy to source for the same supplier if enough work is put in. That is why I will be going the manufacturing road for a main product and building up a brand. As I do not have a big pool of funds, the initial product lineup will be small, that is one of my concern. Will I be able to capture enough market attention with such a small lineup? However with manufacturing, I will be able to skew the primary value attribute, that is why I would still stick with my choice of doing manufacturing.

TIME and SCALE is too early to be covered at this moment. I need to start small and build towards a legacy value system, which I suppose would be my brand.

Next step in my path is to source out the manufacturers and negotiate with them. There's lots of work to be done there.

Thanks everyone that have seen this thread, I am honoured. I will be back posting my progress next weekend. Cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...