The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Want to vs. Have to

Anything related to matters of the mind

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
While driving through St. Louis towards Colorado, I was listening to Ryan Holiday's latest book: Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work that Lasts. He said something that really stood out to me when it comes to aspiring authors.

"Everybody wants to have a book, but almost nobody wants to write a book."

Can you see the difference?

Do you WANT to build a business? Or do you HAVE to build a business?

I just got off a call with a client of mine and he said he had this aversion to cold calling businesses to sell his SEO services. My first thought was that he had a limiting belief or judgement about selling. We've been conditioned to think "selling = greedy".

But that wasn't it...

Ever since quitting his job the other month, he's been sleeping in late, playing video games, and for the life of him, he hasn't been making cold calls for his SEO services.

I asked him if he wants to make cold calls, or if he has to make cold calls?

It is something he has to do...

"Why do you want to build your business?" I asked him.

He wanted to get to the point where he didn't have to do anything, have a lot of money, a nice apartment, and a nice car. When he sells his business, he wanted to "be able to do whatever he wanted", and what does he want to do? Play video games and sleep late.

He's doing that already.

WHY do you want to build your business?

What do you have to do in order to build your business?

One of the steps to help you do the things you might have been avoiding to do in the past is to turn have to's into want to's.

How can he make the switch from having to cold call to wanting to cold call?

"Don't do what you love, but love what you do."
-Someone Famous

Pay attention to your language.

The first step to help grow your business faster is to identify your language patterns of what you have to do and figure out the things you've been avoiding in the past.

From there, how can you mentally and emotionally shift your perception to turn those into things you want to do?

Could he turn "trying to make sales" into a fun game of learning how to become the master of overcoming objections? So going back and forth with him, we turned his cold calls into something he wants to do. Because if you want to do it, you do it naturally.

Why do you want to build your business?

If you want to build a business so you can sit around and do nothing...maybe building a business isn't right for you? The video games are a few steps away.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.