The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wait....Grabcar did what???

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I opened my news feeds today, only to find some headlines blaring all about Grabcar buying Uber.

The words 'monopoly' and 'corporate strategy' blew up in my head.

Then I looked further, and found it was just the Southeast Asian Uber that got bought by Grab.

Uber is selling its Southeast Asia business to competitor Grab

Grab Officially Takes Control Of Uber's Southeast Asia Operations

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

I'm feeling rather funny on the inside at this news....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I opened my news feeds today, only to find some headlines blaring all about Grabcar buying Uber.

Then I looked further, and found it was just the Southeast Asian Uber that got bought by Grab.

Uber sold off its Chinese unit as well. Uber has had a hard time expanding to some countries. So they cut their losses and sell off the business unit.

It makes sense business wise.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Uber sold off its Chinese unit as well. Uber has had a hard time expanding to some countries. So they cut their losses and sell off the business unit.

It makes sense business wise.
Yes.

Still, in my country, which happens to be under the geographic region where the acquisition is concerned, I didn't feel that Uber was having the pinch at first.

I used a lot of Uber to pre-book trips, something that Grab didn't really get around to doing so.

I did notice some strange things happening though:
1. Uber in my country suddenly started doing ads. Although any company will get to that stage of marketing, it felt 'unneeded', given that they didn't exactly start and flourish that way.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg9LCwf6tlg

2. Price spikes especially during Chinese New Year became more apparent. The app would just say 'Demand has risen', but even the new amounts felt uncalled for. For instance, a trip from my accomodation to the central station usually cost RM19+, but then I saw a screaming RM50!

Grabcar somehow drew up about half-price for the same distance, so I picked the Grab. I had to risk getting to the station late lol due to heavy traffic.:rofl:

I guess that ride-sharing might become a price-slashing commodity soon, like bread and butter!:clench:

3. On rides on Uber and Grab vehicles, I have been asked by the drivers on 'which is better?'.
I have no idea whether they mean 'which gives the most take-home pay' or 'which one promises more volume of clients'...so I couldn't really give an accurate answer.

But when the drivers themselves start to weight options, the boat might have been beginning to tip on either side.

It would only be a matter of time when the drivers pick a majority stance. Freelance drivers aren't exactly 'loyal' workers.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia

Remember the protest that they did years back? All the taxi drivers demand this and that...

The power of the marketmind!

Sent from my Z130 using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.