The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Visiting Hong Kong through Slow Lane Job - Fast Lane Opportunity?

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Hi All,

Next month I am travelling first to HK and then Japan for work; this is through my Slow Lane job (some perks obviously around travel and nice hotels!). I have a question: I will have some time and I want to maximise it whilst I'm out there.

In Tokyo my intention is to see what ideas Japan has adopted as historically they tend to be early adopters of e.g. tech which is then adopted by others around the world. The idea is to look at connecting the dots/ideas that I can then implement in the UK/US markets.

In HK I intend to look at manufacturing facilities and how to make that work for one of my ideas. I have identified one manufacturer and have lined up a meeting (my work is flexible in that as long as I get the job done for my employer, I have enough time to do my own thing whilst I'm there).

What would you guys do if you were in HK/Japan with a Fast Lane mindset/maximise your time there??

Looking forward to the answers :)

Dubidu

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hey Dubidu, thats a great opportunity to have :)

I would deffinetly go to those meetings you speak of. Regarding getting ideas and bringing it back to UK/US market, that can also be interesting, I deffinetly always have a lot of ideas when I come back from travels.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
In HK I intend to look at manufacturing facilities and how to make that work for one of my ideas. I have identified one manufacturer and have lined up a meeting (my work is flexible in that as long as I get the job done for my employer, I have enough time to do my own thing whilst I'm there).
Just saw this thread.
How did your meeting go?
Did you find any other manufacturers?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Such a great opportunity to get an education on somebody else’s nickel

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Just saw this thread.
How did your meeting go?
Did you find any other manufacturers?

Hi - it was due to happen end of Feb/beginning of March. C0VlD-19 in China/HK (hadn't reached the UK yet) so the business decided to cancel all business travel to region - never mind!

Thanks for your interest Odysseus :)

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Hi - it was due to happen end of Feb/beginning of March. C0VlD-19 in China/HK (hadn't reached the UK yet) so the business decided to cancel all business travel to region - never mind!

Thanks for your interest Odysseus :)
I was in HK early Feb, but when CX cancelled flights to LGW I quickly headed home in case I got stranded.
Upon return I self-isolated for 14 days while the west made toilet paper jokes.
And then it came here. LOL

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If you like cities, HK has an energy to it that very few other cities in the world come close to. I even prefer it to Manhattan.

If you're looking for manufacturing opportunities, they're not in HK. Cross the border into China.

Shenzhen (you can take the metro to the border and walk across the border from there) is the tech capital. If you're looking to get into anything tech or electronics, your best factories are all there.

A little bit more west (hour and a half train ride) is Guangzhou. That's where a lot of manufacturing capacity is.

The Canton area in general has historically been the global center of trade. So opportunities abound. But like with anything, you need to know where to look. Have to line up meetings ahead of time whether that be with factories or people that are working on interesting projects. The expat community overall in that area is extremely friendly and working on impressive international trade projects, so it's easy to tap into the communities you're most interested in.

But if your plan is solely "I'm going to HK and hoping I find some opportunities," then you're in for disappointment business wise. You'll love the city but you'll hate everything else.

P.s. HK people will tell you different, but HK in general has some of the worst food at way too high prices. I'd hop into China just for the cuisine.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
If you like cities, HK has an energy to it that very few other cities in the world come close to. I even prefer it to Manhattan.

If you're looking for manufacturing opportunities, they're not in HK. Cross the border into China.

Shenzhen (you can take the metro to the border and walk across the border from there) is the tech capital. If you're looking to get into anything tech or electronics, your best factories are all there.

A little bit more west (hour and a half train ride) is Guangzhou. That's where a lot of manufacturing capacity is.

The Canton area in general has historically been the global center of trade. So opportunities abound. But like with anything, you need to know where to look. Have to line up meetings ahead of time whether that be with factories or people that are working on interesting projects. The expat community overall in that area is extremely friendly and working on impressive international trade projects, so it's easy to tap into the communities you're most interested in.

But if your plan is solely "I'm going to HK and hoping I find some opportunities," then you're in for disappointment business wise. You'll love the city but you'll hate everything else.

P.s. HK people will tell you different, but HK in general has some of the worst food at way too high prices. I'd hop into China just for the cuisine.

Yes - I had heard the manufacturing is in mainland China and the cities you mention. The business has said it is ''postponed'' rather than cancelled but it's unlikely to happen this calendar year. I will keep this thread in mind and follow instructions to maximise the learning on someone else's nickel as @Vigilante said :smile2:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Yes - I had heard the manufacturing is in mainland China and the cities you mention. The business has said it is ''postponed'' rather than cancelled but it's unlikely to happen this calendar year. I will keep this thread in mind and follow instructions to maximise the learning on someone else's nickel as @Vigilante said :smile2:
If you are going to spend time in HK it could still be worth your while checking out the manufacturing scene in that very interesting city. There are manufacturers still operating in HK, but there are no very large factories because of scarcity of level land.

Here are some of their Made In HK products:
  • Jewelry
  • Photographic & Optical Equipment including spectacles
  • Printing and Packaging
  • Plastic packaging - jars, bottles
  • Watches and clocks
  • Stationery
  • Clothing
  • Molds for plastic products and some other types of moldings
  • Electronic smart labels
  • Skateboards that imitate sensation of wave surfing
  • Toys, games, and sporting equipment
  • Baby products, including monitors
  • Drones
  • Pharmaceutical research chemicals
And many more.

Walter

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
If you are going to spend time in HK it could still be worth your while checking out the manufacturing scene in that very interesting city. There are manufacturers still operating in HK, but there are no very large factories because of scarcity of level land.

Here are some of their Made In HK products:
  • Jewelry
  • Photographic & Optical Equipment including spectacles
  • Printing and Packaging
  • Plastic packaging - jars, bottles
  • Watches and clocks
  • Stationery
  • Clothing
  • Molds for plastic products and some other types of moldings
  • Electronic smart labels
  • Skateboards that imitate sensation of wave surfing
  • Toys, games, and sporting equipment
  • Baby products, including monitors
  • Drones
  • Pharmaceutical research chemicals
And many more.

Walter

Thank you Walter - so helpful!

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Thank you Walter - so helpful!
Check out HKTDC, Hong Kong Trade Development Council website. You can plan your activities ahead of time.

HK people will tell you different, but HK in general has some of the worst food at way too high prices. I'd hop into China just for the cuisine.
If you know where to go it's cheap & tasty, I lived there 27 years.

The food in Shenzhen is good but it's not worth suffering the East Rail Line to get there.

Tip, take the direct bus from Jordan to Huang Gang, it's comfy & you get a seat.

Believe me, even first class on the train is no picnic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.