The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante's "Mind Your Business" Radio Show

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Tomorrow (5/23) at 11AM Eastern is the Walmart episode of the Mind Your Business radio show.

Next Saturday (5/30) is @Kak with some irreverent commentary and a special announcement of his own that will be of interest to Fastlane Forum members.

The Saturday after that (6/6) I have a huge profile guest lined up, that will be announced later. Working out the details. It was sparked by a discussion in a thread here in the forum, so I went out and found an industry leader to talk to Mind Your Business about it. I'll tie it all together for you later.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Another great episode, David! Can't wait for the next one. Here are my notes and several takeaways:

Into The Belly Of The Beast

The one takeaway: Walmart does not accept excuses from anyone (if only I can triple underline, anyone). Not their employees nor their executives.

This comes from Sam Walton’s philosophy of no excuses.

Expect more out of yourself, vendors, and employees. Don’t cheat yourself and create excuses as to why things aren’t where you want them to be.

Ruthless expense control. This means that you won’t see Walmart paying for the following:
- Large and aesthetically-pleasing offices.
- Class A office furniture.

Get used stuff, you don’t have to stock your company refrigerator with water that comes straight from the top of Mt.Fiji.

Be frugal with your business expenses; get only what you need.
------------------------------------------
I want to give my own opinion after hearing the ruthless expense control. I was actually talking to somebody about business and investing in your employees yesterday. Although it’s smart to cut expenses wherever you can, I think it’s important to continue to invest in your employees, make your team mates life more better, get them to enjoy working for your company and recommend to others working for your company. A big reason as to why places like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft have so many applicants is because people genuinely want to work there. Money is definitely a large part of that deciding factor, but they also know that if they work at those companies… those companies are going to invest in their people.

We have a term for those companies, golden handcuffs. It’s harder than usual for people working at those companies to leave them.

This means, providing better working environments for their team members, good benefits, and overall making it a place where they don’t want to leave. In my case, what I’ll be doing is investing in things that make my team members life more easier and enjoyable.

I know that it’s much more common and acceptable for people to job-hop these days. But I’d like to create a business that people are fine with staying there for the long-term.
------------------------------------------

Continuing on...

The sundown rule – Do your best to answer requests from associates, customers, vendors by the end of the day on the end of the day you receive them. Show people that you respect other peoples’ time and that they’re important to you. Don’t leave people hanging.

Walton's 10ft rule – Anytime a customer or associate comes within 10ft of me I will smile, look at them in the eye, and greet them.

David’s 10ft rule – Anytime a customer or associate comes within 10ft of me I will smile, look at them in the eye, and ask if I can help them.

If you want a successful business… your people should feel like you’re working for them and not them working for you.

Core operating philosophy of Walmart: Anything that I do that doesn’t benefit the customer is a waste of time. Be customer-centric.

Keep a monthly “Correction of Errors” journal that has your sales activity, actions, wins & losses for that month. Look back at it constantly not to only see what you’ve gone through but compare and contrast. See what’s working, what’s not, and what you can do differently. This journal isn’t only meant for you to write in. Give your team mates/employees one as well.

EXPECT. MORE.
Be the best at whatever you’re doing.
Apply it to every aspect in your business and life.​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
lol, ever spoke to him while you were drunk?

It’s my job to know.

Kyle and I will build these together, and separate. We will help each other while simultaneously competing against each other. We will grow them together using iron to sharpen iron. we’ll go bigger, and we’ll outdo each other and then cheer the results. He doesn’t need me and I don’t need him and that’s exactly why this works. We’ll help each other kill bigger. We’ve never discussed it because we don’t need to. I’m going to win and he’s going to win and quickly you will see lesser efforts in our wake. Anyone that thinks I am kidding when I make inference to Joe Rogan type of success should watch. We’ll pour gasoline on things that work. We’ll pivot from things that don’t.

I talked to an old school executive from Salem communications the other day that doesn’t understand where media on demand is heading. Ultimately they will die under her leadership. They could have lead, but she likes things the way they were, not the way they are. She’ll continue to struggle to hit her advertising budget her boss gives her every month while they destroy their future.
Then I spoke with an iHeartmedia exec who gets it. They’re already driving new content on demand and building out an infrastructure to support it. They care more about where things are heading than todays broadcast schedule.

It’s the tail of two cities. Fast forward five years. Who wins?

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
YOUTUBE :

We are going to start to develop the YouTube channel. This will include dropping some video onto YouTube that is not going to be anywhere else. If you have a YouTube account, please SUBSCRIBE. We have to get to 100 subscribers so that we can get rid of the stupid URL and get a custom URL.

I'll drop the first bonus content video on there this week at some point.

Please subscribe to the YouTube channel here:

And THANK YOU in advance. - Dave

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
I really enjoyed it and I'm excited to see how it develops and evolves as time goes on. I'll definitely be tuning in every Saturday.

Some fun angles I thought of:

• Ask the guest to give their input in regard to a "Guest Challenge" such as, "If you only had x amount of dollars, what would you do to turn profit?" This would help get the creative juices flowing. It teaches listeners to stretch their minds. It helps to knock down limiting beliefs. It gives some insight into the guest's personality/mindset.
  • Maybe you could ask the guest to prepare some sort of exclusive information that goes beyond the scope of the interview and allow viewers to acquire it through either the newsletter, or giveaway, or even purchase. How cool would it be to know that my favorite podcast goes out of their way to give me exclusive advice or processes straight from the business owners that I respect and look up to.
  • "Critique and Coaching"- Where you take one listener call or email submission and the "Mind Your Business" crew and guest speaker offer up some unique advice on how to propel the person's idea/product/service etc.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
►►SHOW NOW LIVE FOR SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2014◄◄

MJ DeMarco, best selling author of The Millionaire Fastlane, joins us for a discussion of the fast lane commandments for starting a successful business.

Also, how to start a business for $400 or less.

Listen now or download it for later!

http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/media/podcast-mind-your-business-mindyourbusiness/

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We're streaming it on Saturdays for a specific reason. Allen... You just nailed the reason. I want to come alongside people precisely at the moment when they are concentrating on their own business. For some people, your employer owns your Monday through Fridays. You own your Saturdays.

Saturdays are a dead time for old media. However, Saturdays are owned by the entrepreneur.

I am thankful for your comments and your encouragement. We are having a blast with this so far. Like in your own private business, the only metric we are looking at so far is how we can be better than we were last week.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Great show with real content and without the upsell.I have recommended it to many on all continents. Congrats to all involved.

The only thing we're selling is freedom, and the only thing it costs you is some time. Invest in yourself. Thanks for your comments and for listening. Tomorrow's show should be epic. Although we're talking with Amazon in the US, he also talks about selling internationally with Amazon.com's international sites.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We're coming back this Saturday for the first blast of 2015 of Mind Your Business... with an "Entrepreneur's Tool Kit" talking about free resources we use every day, from how we use Gmail to Dropbox, etc...

We'll also touch on GoDaddy, BigCommerce, Feedback Genius, and a few other tools we use all the time. We'll also talk about how to negotiate office space or virtual offices with Regus.

Anything you want to add? We can make some honorable mentions if you have "must use" resources for entrepreneurs that don't cost much if anything.

What resources do you find critical for a start-up entrepreneur?

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If Clear Channel monetizes this, we will keep doing it for a while. If they don't, my interest will fade. So, if you like the show... grab 'em while you can. Nothing eminent... it's just that I have a ton of shit going on in 2015 including Rachel getting married, a move to the coast, and some crazy business expansion. We're talking about getting some studio quality equipment that I could use on the road (Blue Yeti microphone, etc...) but it's not as much a function of the equipment as it is the time factor. We'll see. The ratings are still at the top of the charts, and it is fun to do but everything has to have a reason. For today, you all are my reason.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Changing my opinion on trademarks.

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-app.../reduced-fees-teas-application-filing-options

for $225 now, you can register a trademark directly with the USPTO. $225 to sleep better at night.

I am changing my formal position from NEVER to AS SOON AS ECONOMICALLY POSSIBLE regarding to switching from a ™ to a®

What TEAS application filing options are available as of January 17, 2015?

Beginning January 17, 2015, the TEAS application filing options and fees are as follows:

TEAS Plus: The TEAS Plus application filing option, for trademark and service mark applications on the Principal Register, offers the lowest filing fee, at $225 per class of goods and/or services, but has the strictest requirements.

In addition to the minimum filing requirements, TEAS Plus applications must include the following at the time the application is filed:

• The filing fee for all classes listed in the application;
  • An identification of goods and/or services taken directly from the USPTO Trademark ID Manual;
  • Certain mark-related information, if applicable, e.g., translation statement regarding non-English wording, color claim and description for marks featuring color;
  • A correspondence e-mail address and authorization for the USPTO to send e-mail correspondence concerning the application throughout the application process.
In addition, TEAS Plus applicants must agree to electronically file, through TEAS, certain application-related submissions that may be filed during the application process, such as voluntary amendments and responses to Office actions. An applicant who files a TEAS Plus application but does not satisfy the relevant requirements will be required to submit an additional processing fee of $50 per class of goods or services. Further information about the TEAS Plus application requirements can be found at TMEP §819.01.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Oh hell yes, looking forward to this! Especially in a live talk show style format.

Will definitely be tuning in for sure.

Tuning in?

You'll be a guest at some point when you're ready and when your brand can use the publicity.

Cat Lady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Apr 26, 2018
Portland, OR
If you need help with figuring out the world of talk radio syndication and radio stuff, let me know. I am a co-owner at a radio station and have a syndicated radio show. It's a slow industry, very entrenched, but there's nothing like it.

Ironically, I got into it partially because I have had a very deep voice, even as tiny child, and everyone told me I had a voice for radio. But I always tell guests that they *think* they their voice doesn't work for radio, but only in extremely rare cases is that actually true. Everyone hates the sound of their own voice (at first, you eventually grow used to it if you work in the field).

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am going to turn off their advertising. The only sponsors that I need will be relevant to what I want to do.

Edited to add : Got the ads turned off. I assume that affects current and future shows? Also added an intro. The intro may be redundant on next weeks show because I think it might be both imbedded and automatic.

Next Saturday's show is down to 24 minutes (I want them all to be at the 30 minute mark or less until we go live... the live shows will be an hour but with caller interaction.)

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
View attachment 33019
You shouldn't let things happening in the external impact your internal.
What I got out of this is that we have to keep our internal checked. If our mental game is weak then how can we expect to beat what's going on inside. I'd say that a lot of people think about the external aspects of life. I.e. Sales, finding a job, going to the gym, etc... but not enough time making sure their mental belief and internal state is good. What good is going to the gym, dieting, or working hard towards a goal if all it takes is one small negative thing that impacts you to break it all?

Make sure your internal is right--your emotions and beliefs. Have it up to the point where even if external things go wrong you can say," okay this bad thing happened, but you know what, I can get through it... It's temporary..."

What're you doing about it?
Don't just be all talk. A good point brought up was that people were complaining they didn't have enough time to do something. Now people don't have that excuse. But do you want to know what's really stomach-turning?

People now have all this time at home to do something... read, educating and or growing in a new skill, making videos, etc... but they're not doing any of it? Instead, they're sleeping, relaxing, watching netflix, eating ice cream, etc... Not that any of that's wrong. But if you're !!!complaining!!! but you're still doing these things, that's an issue. You have all this time and you have some goals... What're you going to do about it???

How much more are people reliant on e-commerce now than 90 days ago?
C0VlD-19 has accelerated or has better shown the need of technology and e-commerce. It has shown a light on where the future is going and has opened many more opportunities! Don't see all of this as a negative instead, see it as many opportunities. How can you connect the internet and e-commerce to traditional businesses? How can you innovate?

I'll end this message with a Bruce Lee quote with the Ray Dalio Principles .gif.

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one”
― Bruce Lee

Both David and Stephen have gone through the trenches. They went to the lowest of the lows, but by going through all that and not giving up... They've become better and stronger people. Don't pray for an easy life, pray that you go through things and become a better person through it all.

Thank you for this week's episode David and Stephen!
The reason why your recap kicks a$$ is because you have already internalized what Stephen talked about, and used it as a springboard or launching point. It's not enough to listen and like something when a guy like Steve speaks. It's what do you DO with it that counts. Steve didn't do the show to entertain you. He did the show to encourage you and/or give you a kick in the a$$.

And your recap shows he effectively hit the target. Awesome. Excellent. Excited for you. Your comprehension is exactly what we were going for.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Congrats on the great restart Vigilante - first time I'm hearing you on the Walmart story. I love hearing about the titans that came before us.

Do you have any distribution channels where you can play at various speeds? Ex: 1.5x 2x...?

May I also make an observation?

Personally, I've read and listened to a couple of books on sales. The 2 that stick out like a sore thumb are:
  • Ultimate Sales Machine by Chet Holmes
  • Pre-Suasion by Robert Cialdini
The reason I remember both is because they each gave individual scenarios of 1 person, performing a particular action, in relation to the lesson being presented.

For example, in pre-suasion, Cialdini talks about how a little girl seeing a poster in a classroom of someone succeeding who looks like her. In effect, raising her own score because of the fact.

At the 12 min mark (sundown effect) in your podcast, I listened to it 3-4 times to understand it. I think a story afterwards would make a bigger impact. Just my 2¢

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
"Hey dock workers, if unions are so great why do you have one of the worst paying jobs in the country?"

LOL

I loved this. Unions exist for one reason... They are the anti business. They exist to help workers do the least amount of work for the most amount of money possible... And to do this... They literally charge the workers to be a part.

So you have some stupid organization that is supposed to hold your wages up... You pay handsomely for that and yet you could probably go get better pay at home depot.

Unions are organized crime. A protection racket. Bullshit.

I remember what the hostess cupcake factory did about 5 years back. They wanted like 2x the wages, the company couldn't do it. No one conceded... So they said screw you all and shut it down. No jobs for anyone now.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Find a new hand, get acquainted to this one or learn to kill what you eat. Who is John Galt?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What's SXM?

Audacity is cool. It's simple enough to get started. I don't know about all this normalisation stuff.

Andy.

When I started my last company, my first client was Walmart.

Similarly, when Mr. Kill Bigger set out to start a media company, he set his sights bigger than that. He's pursuing a deal with Sirius Satellite Radio. We know that there is a lot of content out there that is better than their current offerings on their business channel.

Kyle is also becoming proficient at sound technology. Similar to Sam Walton, who held every job at Walmart when he built it, Kyle (and I) want to understand every aspect of every job to produce content on demand. We have to know how to use the tools in order to eventually lead the charge.

Fun stuff. That's why I moved this to the execution threads. There's a lot more thought process going into this than just my pretty face and golden voice.

I'm releasing a special show for Independence Day (July 4th here in the states). A recent Gallup poll stated that 85% of Americans hate their jobs. If you haven't reached your own independence day yet, you will want to tune in Saturday at 11AM Eastern. At the end of the show, I will challenge you to pick a date certain on the calendar in the future, circle it and navigate yourself to your own INDEPENDENCE DAY.

Last edited:

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Dave,
Your last podcast, Independence Day was truly one of the best. I remember you sharing that story in a post here on the forum and it made an impression on me then.

This time, hearing you share that emotional story on your latest Mind Your Business podcast was major league.

This episode should go viral.
Period.

And everyone here should take the time to listen to it.

Perhaps I could have been there if I had made different choices in my life.
It helps me to always try to remain humble the more success I have.

Thank you for one of the best podcasts I've heard in a long time.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
how does one acquire said extension????????!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?
This LINK should get you there

If not, just go into your chrome extensions and search for kill facebook

Thank Neville Medhora at the Kopywriting course for this one

EDIT: fixed link

Last edited by a moderator:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If this was a regular person saying they're going to start a podcast in an already crowded space (interviewing startups) with everyone doing the same exact thing and a website that looks like it was made in 2001, I would tell them to either quit or do something different. (and there would've been 100+ replies saying the same thing by now as well)

But you know what you're doing so I'll just watch it evolve into something great :)

Everyone has a deal with clear channel communications, pending radio/syndication deal, access to iHeartMedia for distribution and streaming on their network, and a rolodex full of business leaders? Everyone is coming alongside entrepreneurs nationwide on Saturday mornings? Shit. I should have studied the market first. I better call my producer. Its not about a web site by the way, but the mobile version of it kicks a$$. Darn template. Interviewing startups? DAMN IT, I should have called you before I started this.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
***SPOILERS***

I listened to the whole thing. Here are my thoughts :)

1. I got pretty bored during the "worst 8 jobs" bit. I just felt it was a bit too long. I would click on an article about it, but I would quickly skim just to see what the jobs were. I was waiting to hear useful things that I could apply to my life.

2. I picture you as a chill cowboy sitting back in a luxurious leather chair and sipping on whiskey while recording this podcast. I think the podcast would do better with a little more energy from you, which is easier said than done, I know. I struggle with this myself and find that it helps to get into it with facial expression and body language even though your viewers can't see you. Your daughter, on the other hand, seems to have a knack for this kind of stuff. She sounds like a natural when it comes to broadcasting/presenting.

3. The part of the show with Sal was good, but not great. I didn't feel like there was much specificity in his process, which therefore didn't teach me very much. That's in part due to the fact that he said he "got lucky" with finding a manufacturer because he had friends hook him up. I was disappointed when I heard that because the process of finding a manufacturer would have been something I'd have liked to hear about. But of course that's nobody's fault.

4. The part I liked the most was his story about getting on Shark Tank. He sends the e-mail and they tell him they'll contact him for season 5. How often have we all been in a situation when someone has promised to contact us in the future and never does? I love that he e-mailed them again and eventually got their attention, leading to his time on the show. Pretty awesome lesson there. I mean, if he doesn't do that, how would this have affected his business? It would have delayed everything by a significant amount of time at the very least. Just one simple follow-up email got him the chance of a lifetime.

Just my take on it. For a first podcast it's a great start, and I'll be tuning in next week!

Super useful feedback. Thanks… Next week will be better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.