The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! Vegan / Vegetarians Only (Chat about lifestyle, opportunities, food, whatever...)

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Antifragile

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 15, 2018
Vancouver, BC, Canada
And what do you do for fitness @MJ DeMarco? How was it affected by your decision to go vegan?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Matt Sun

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
On the note of very successful vegan athletes. Novak Djokovic just won 3 of the 4 most important tennis tournaments in the world in 2021. He has been vegan since 2017 and says changing his diet has really helped him.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
And what do you do for fitness @MJ DeMarco? How was it affected by your decision to go vegan?

Going vegan hasn't affected my fitness. Missing gym workouts has.

I usually go to the gym 3-4 times a week, but I'm in the middle of a move right now, and before that I was working to get a book deadline out. Before that, it was C0VlD BS. So any fitness issues I have (I could stand to lose about 7lbs is due to workout neglect) is due to lack of gym time.

On the note of very successful vegan athletes. Novak Djokovic just won 3 of the 4 most important tennis tournaments in the world in 2021. He has been vegan since 2017 and says changing his diet has really helped him.

Tom Brady, Chris Paul, and many others keep their "veganism" on the "down low". I think it helps older athletes stay in the game longer.

SaharaSnow

Contributor
Oct 20, 2020
South Africa
I've been vegetarian for the larger part of my life (20 years now), simply because I don't enjoy the idea of chewing on my friends.

I take a Vitamin B12 supplement and for exercise I do a 4 km nature hike per day - that's it. I don't get sick, I don't get depressed, I don't feel lethargic. I abstain from caffeine, alcohol and negative humans. I remain at optimal weight and the digestive system works.

I've noticed many newbie vegetarians / vegans tend to go for ready-made meals, preserved foods like tinned beans / pulses or carb-loaded fast food junk. Personally, I find recipes boring and prescriptive. Just raid your kitchen, slap what you can find together ... and see what transpires. You will be surprised. It is like art.

Toddo

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 16, 2021
Big Island, Hawaii
After going vegan for a few years my fitness was unaffected, Ive noticed my physical recovery times have shortened and stamina increased

Getting a vitamix was a gamechanger for nutrition. You can blend unsoaked nuts no problem in smoothies as well as seeds. Always have some homemade cashew dip variant in my fridge and its delicious. My wife has some killer recipes for icecream, smoothies, and cheeses that I so badly want to bring to the market.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Getting a vitamix was a gamechanger for nutrition.
^ THIS ^
My wife also has many recipes she's come up with. I keep telling her to write them down and put together a cookbook.

Something I realized a while back...Cleanup on this diet is super easy. No greasy oil messes anywhere, no clogged drains, and the dishes clean so much easier in the dishwasher.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
've noticed many newbie vegetarians / vegans tend to go for ready-made meals, preserved foods like tinned beans / pulses or carb-loaded fast food junk.

The market is sure making it easy to eat vegan junk. I gained some weight in my first few months. For many newbs, "vegan" means processed fake meats, fake this, fake that. All of that is still processed.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Alferez

New Contributor
Nov 27, 2018
Hello veggies,

Today I had a moment of pain. Do you guys have problems finding ALREADY prepared vegan/vegetarian meals?

For example today I did not have anything prepared and I had like half hour to eat. And guess what, no available vegan alternative for eat in a supermarket. (In Spain, in other countries like France, there are options, but they taste awfull, serious, you feel like in Alcatraz eating that shit)

I'm really tired not having a decent meal to eat if I'm out for whatever reason. I don't like food companies, but who cares, if there is a need, I'm going to fill it.

What are your thoughts, would you like a healthy (as much as possible, not all that junk food) already prepared for those days you forget to cook, you are lazy, whatever?

I would be happy to hear your experiences eating outside.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Going vegan hasn't affected my fitness. Missing gym workouts has.

I usually go to the gym 3-4 times a week, but I'm in the middle of a move right now, and before that I was working to get a book deadline out. Before that, it was C0VlD BS. So any fitness issues I have (I could stand to lose about 7lbs is due to workout neglect) is due to lack of gym time.

Tom Brady, Chris Paul, and many others keep their "veganism" on the "down low". I think it helps older athletes stay in the game longer.
I do not eat vegan, but Tom Brady’s success and longevity has to speak to something.

Could it be superior genetics? Maybe. However he is not genetically gifted from an athletics perspective whatsoever. His success was born from unrelenting discipline and a desire to win.

Which leads me to believe his diet has played a significant role in his longevity.

I should probably get on the bandwagon :clench:

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
It's been over a year since I turned vegan. I recently did blood tests to compare them to the ones I did last year. They were all pretty much the same or very similar, with no issues.

What I do have issues with, though, are digestive problems. Never before in my life have I had such frequent and terrible issues. Before, it was extremely rare for me to feel stomach pain or suffer from diarrhea. Now, it happens at least once a month, with stomach pain several times a month or even more often. It doesn't seem to be related to fiber alone as I have issues both on lower-fiber days as well as days with higher fiber.

As for other changes, I don't feel more energy, I actually gained weight, and I don't see any differences in my skin, recovery, or anything else. Actually, I'd say I get injured more often. But I train different stuff so maybe it's unrelated.

I don't want to give up veganism because I'm doing it for ethical reasons but I definitely wouldn't say it's a perfect diet, at least in my case.

OMJ

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Speedway Pass
Feb 2, 2020
As for other changes, I don't feel more energy, I actually gained weight, and I don't see any differences in my skin, recovery, or anything else. Actually, I'd say I get injured more often. But I train different stuff so maybe it's unrelated
When I went veggie decades ago, I thought my skin would glow, I'd look younger, the epitome of health.

Nothing changed.

The only time that happened was when I fasted for six weeks.
Yep, six weeks.
Only pure maple syrup, water and chili powder.

On another note.

Are potatoes truly vegan?

After all, they do have eyes...

Andy Black

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's been over a year since I turned vegan. I recently did blood tests to compare them to the ones I did last year. They were all pretty much the same or very similar, with no issues.

What I do have issues with, though, are digestive problems. Never before in my life have I had such frequent and terrible issues. Before, it was extremely rare for me to feel stomach pain or suffer from diarrhea. Now, it happens at least once a month, with stomach pain several times a month or even more often. It doesn't seem to be related to fiber alone as I have issues both on lower-fiber days as well as days with higher fiber.

As for other changes, I don't feel more energy, I actually gained weight, and I don't see any differences in my skin, recovery, or anything else. Actually, I'd say I get injured more often. But I train different stuff so maybe it's unrelated.

I don't want to give up veganism because I'm doing it for ethical reasons but I definitely wouldn't say it's a perfect diet, at least in my case.
Has it affected your mood at all @MTF?

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I do not eat vegan, but Tom Brady’s success and longevity has to speak to something.

There are a lot of older athletes that are vegan that keep it on the "down low" knowing its a caustic subject. Chris Paul (NBA) is another. Tom Brady also has some weird dietary stuff too, like no tomatoes. I eat a ton of tomatoes.

Might be related, might not be.

I was going to suggest in your publishing thread to check your vegan diet and see what might be potentially missing, from B12 to Vitamin D defiency. If you ask me, that's what it sounds like which majorly contributes to seasonal depression, or in your case, location depression.

Also, may I ask how old you are? The body goes through significant changes in the late 30s ... that's when you start to notice poorer recoveries, poorer energy, everything seems to go downhill fast... the question is, how fast?

This is also why most pro athletes can't stay pro once they hit their mid/late 30s.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
I was going to suggest in your publishing thread to check your vegan diet and see what might be potentially missing, from B12 to Vitamin D defiency. If you ask me, that's what it sounds like which majorly contributes to seasonal depression, or in your case, location depression.

I checked both. B12 was fine - range between 180-914, mine was 311 (302 last year). D was also fine - range between 30-100, I had 80.90 this year (whopping 174 last year after 5 months of living in the tropics).

Also, may I ask how old you are? The body goes through significant changes in the late 30s ... that's when you start to notice poorer recoveries, poorer energy, everything seems to go downhill fast... the question is, how fast?

I'm 31, soon to hit 32...

The-J

Dog Dad
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
There are a lot of older athletes that are vegan that keep it on the "down low" knowing its a caustic subject. Chris Paul (NBA) is another. Tom Brady also has some weird dietary stuff too, like no tomatoes. I eat a ton of tomatoes.

Rookie QB Justin Fields (CHI) has been vegan for years.

Another vegan athlete which may surprise you:

don_dolittle

New Contributor
Aug 29, 2020
Scandinavia
Hi folks

I am looking for a tool/service to help me navigate vegan products in super markets on the fly. Like https://www.happycow.net/ solves the need when it comes to restaurants and take away, I am looking for something to help me navigate the jungle both locally and while abroad.

Instead of taking the tedious approach looking for Vegan logos and inspecting the product label for ingredients, I would really appreciate a more intuitive way to go about it. There are tons of preprocessed foods that are vegan, but your intuition tells you that the product contain dairy, e.g, cookies, crisps and frozen foods.

I have tested Open Food Facts - World but don’t find it intuitive to use. I imagine an app that based on a geo location or a specific supermarket can list al vegan friendly product, despite its labels and branding.

Can’t wait to hear from You!

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Hi folks

I am looking for a tool/service to help me navigate vegan products in super markets on the fly. Like https://www.happycow.net/ solves the need when it comes to restaurants and take away, I am looking for something to help me navigate the jungle both locally and while abroad.

Instead of taking the tedious approach looking for Vegan logos and inspecting the product label for ingredients, I would really appreciate a more intuitive way to go about it. There are tons of preprocessed foods that are vegan, but your intuition tells you that the product contain dairy, e.g, cookies, crisps and frozen foods.

I have tested Open Food Facts - World but don’t find it intuitive to use. I imagine an app that based on a geo location or a specific supermarket can list al vegan friendly product, despite its labels and branding.

Can’t wait to hear from You!

Love the idea, would have used it today.

SaharaSnow

Contributor
Oct 20, 2020
South Africa
You may require beneficial gut bacteria. Probiotics.

Ingesting some good old dirt from mother earth is helpful ... picking your fruit & vegetables and eating them on the spot. As long as they were not treated with pesticides and other chemicals.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
With 300+ students, the method and/or main sources of traffic don't saturate? Seems web design...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom