The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Value skew: What discernible difference ultimately turned you into a buyer or x-buyer?

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)

Jadus

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
Here's another negative value skew. I know a lot of people love Amazon but my newest experience was the 3rd in a row of utter frustration. I don't use it very much. Mostly to send my mother things in the states. For the last several days I've been trying to get a Mother's Day gift sent to her.

Negative skew #1: I picked out a gift for her last weekend but the shipping was too fast. It would have arrived well before Mother's Day. So, I delayed placing the order. The next day, it was still going to arrive too fast, so I delayed again. I rechecked it today and now the item is no longer available! Not only that, literrally everything else has an arrival time for AFTER Mother's Day.

Negative skew #2: The next product I picked for a gift (that will now be late) is supposed have free shipping. It says it right on the listing:

View attachment 43330

It also says it here:
View attachment 43331

But then, when I actually get to checkout, it shows this:

View attachment 43332

The only way to get free shipping is to join Prime. It doesn't mention that in the free shipping policy. To me, this is a deceitful practice. I know millions love Prime but I rarely order from Amazon and so I don't want to be paying for something that I won't use often. There is a 30 day trial, so I can just cancel it later, but that's a hassle to have to remember to do it. And if I forget, then I'm being charged for something I don't want.

Negative value skew #3: I wanted to call Amazon support to discuss this situation but finding a phone number on their website is next to impossible. I had to google it.

Negative value skew #4: Once I got connected to a real person, I was given absolutely zero satisfaction. There was no explanation for their bait and switch tactics. Nothing was offered to make me feel better about doing business with them.

I realize that it would be a tall order to go up against Amazon, but if someone with money could fix these negative skews; provide better shipping options, not try to deceive your customers, make it easy to get in touch with support and treat your customer like you'd want to be treated, there's a lot of opportunity there.
Update: To top off all of this, the package never arrived! After waiting an extra day and no delivery, all the robo-chat could do for me was to give me a refund. I'm done with Amazon.

I went directly to the Godiva website and placed a new order there. One negative skew there was that they required me to create an account. Never do that! You don't want put obstacles in the way of your customer's check out. In my store, accounts are always optional.

On the plus side, they had exactly what I wanted and the shipping options that I needed. (Since it's late, I had it sent 2nd day.) I'll use them again in the future and try to go directly to the source or a smaller retailer with other items I need.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Nice, I'm thinking about switching to Gusto from Quickbooks Payroll ... same type of BS, any type of call to the company gets no where, and costs me hours of time and frustration.

Also, I dropped Quickbooks Accounting in favor of Zip--Books which is 10X better.

Anything Intuit buys turns to dogshit, MailCheat(Chimp) their latest victim.
Just switched over from quickbooks to zipbooks. Value skew: Cleaner UI and easier to use, Love their basic income report layout

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just switched over from quickbooks to zipbooks. Value skew: Cleaner UI and easier to use, Love their basic income report layout

Yes thus far I am very impressed with ZipBooks, looks like I will become a long-term customer. Not being "quickbooks" or having anything to do with Intuit is a value-skew in itself.

DanGoldfield

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 26, 2022
Bristol, UK
Great thread, thanks MJ.

Positive skew:
- Desview T3 teleprompter: worked with my wide-angle lens
- Macbook: previous one did me 9 years
- IKEA houseplants: unbelievable prices
- IKEA wardrobes: no better options in budget
- oat milk: best calorie:taste ratio (+eco friendly)
- carrd.co: simple website builder that actually works, with hosting for just $20 a year.

Negative skew:
- Property rental: prices are inflating like crazy in UK cities right now, and demand is higher than ever. Hence, had no leg to stand on in negotiations and letting agent treated me accordingly. Trying to move to the slightly better scam of mortgaging by April next year.
- Elementor Pro (Wordpress plugin): this thing is hot garbage. Bloated, slow, and clunky. Elementor would routinely change things by itself, behave inconsistently, and generally be a nightmare for a beginner with no coding knowledge (which is exactly who their marketing is aimed at). Also, support tickets took up to 72 hours.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikecarlucci

tiktok marketing/fitness. Ask me anything.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Quest Protein Bars -

The reason I purchase these bars even though I know other bars will taste a lot better is because of the length of time that they last.

I always wondered what was so good about these bars, and why quest is so popular.

Oh wait.. Yea, I could get the protein bars that taste like candy bars, but how long do they last? about 30 seconds.

Quest on the other hand, the way it's made makes it so that it takes longer to eat.

If only quest took out the damn sucralose and replaced it with stevia (product idea? protein bars that take a while to eat, made similar to quest, taste great, and are flavored with stevia?) I'd be a customer for life.

Or if someone could find a way to make a BIG protein bar that tastes good but has the same amount of calories as a regular protein bar? not sure if possible lol. But throwing ideas out there.

Chris Sciora

Contributor
Feb 15, 2022
My limited experience with Gusto seems positive but still too early to give 100% recommendations on.

Ya, QBO just go 4x more expensive because I needed more in my chart of accounts . I would like to replace it but for now, it's not worth my time to find and learn another platform. Focusing on more clients which will pay for the BS extras from intuit.
I've been using Gusto for about 4 years since it was called Zen Payroll. Nice, simple, straightforward.

However, they did just drop the lowest tier plan which effectively doubles the monthly price.

Akita

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Dec 8, 2021
I think that even if there are 100 reasons to buy a product, a single reason not to buy that hits the wrong nerve could be the deciding factor.
Also because of working against negativity bias.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If only quest took out the damn sucralose

OMG this irritates the hell out of me. Companies advertise "all natural" and then list sucralose as a sweetener.

No, your product isn't "naturally sweetened" when you have this junk in it. Not sure how these companies continually get away with that. Sucralose is not a natural sweetener.

Zaratustra

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2019
Negative skew:
Went into a supermarket to buy something worth eating, but literally every product has a sugar or palm oil inside. It's unbelievable how shitty food there is. Even roasted nuts had some kind of oil inside. Why would you add oil in nuts?! just roast them!

Jadus

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
Negative skew:
Went into a supermarket to buy something worth eating, but literally every product has a sugar or palm oil inside. It's unbelievable how shitty food there is. Even roasted nuts had some kind of oil inside. Why would you add oil in nuts?! just roast them!
I couldn't agree more. Leave it to big food companies to make a healthy food unhealthy. I bought a bag of almonds the other day without reading the label. I must have know about this brand before but forgot. I read the label when I got home and couldn't believe the amount of crap they added!

hammiesink

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Jul 6, 2021
Positive skew:

Dave's Killer Bread.

I use whole bread for everything, and I usually buy Western Hearth Whole Wheat Bread:

But then I heard the story of Dave Dahl, and how he got out of prison and worked for his parents' bakery (for the third time), and created Dave's Killer Bread. I started buying his whole wheat bread instead of Western Hearth:

61Pwwe4NBbL._SL1000_.jpg

His bread skewed positive for me:
  • A human story instead of a faceless corporation (notice I'm saying "his" bread)
  • Very specific description of "21 grains" (I bet Western Hearth has the same, but they don't mention it)
  • It's twice as expensive (it must be higher quality!)
  • It has a lot of 5 star reviews
Ultimately, I switched back to Western Hearth, so the positive skew became negative for me, for the following reasons:
  • Dave's has a lot of sugar in it; the whole point of whole wheat bread is a slower blood sugar burn
  • The price
  • I recognized I was being fooled by excellent marketing tactics, but not necessarily a better product
Despite my switch, I often keep in mind the factors that got me to switch to Dave's and still think about them as I study copywriting and marketing. E.g. a human for branding, a higher price indicating higher quality, etc.

ArmanK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 30, 2022
I think it would be great to have a discussion on value skew as it works in the real world. Mainly, post your experience with a product or service you recently bought, and the core buying reason WHY you bought it.

Or, post negative skew items, a core reason WHY you STOPPED buying from a particular company.

I'll copy an example of "negative skew" from @biophase who posted this recently in the Random Chat thread.

This will give us a great digest of value attributes that compel purchases in business, or compel x-buyers. The more discernible skew you present in your offer, the more sales you will attract. The less negative skew in your offer, the fewer buyers you will lose.

Simple examples of skew:
  • They answered my email in 1 hour!
  • They had this great feature that no one else had!
  • They were $12 cheaper per month
  • They had an ingredient I was looking for
  • Just liked the packaging
  • They had a great cause that spoke to my identity
Note: Your skew could also be an experience relating to customer loyalty: Wow, Widget Company did X for me and that really makes me loyal to them!

Simple examples of negative skew:
  • Too many upsells in the cart process!
  • Confusing checkout process
  • Shipping prices were insane
  • Contained an ingredient I don't want (Aspartame, Red-40)
  • The company turned into a political activist or became "woke" or "anti-woke"
  • Failed to answer my support question timely
Ill start.

I recently joined a fitness program and after I subscribed, the company offered me a "free fitness accessory". Naturally, I expected the item to be FREE, but have a $12 shipping cost -- so it still was a profit center. To my surprise, the item WAS free, and so was shipping! This totally increased my loyalty to this company.
I am moving to Austin, TX next month so went with my fiance last weekend to check out some potential apartments/condos.

We toured 8 places and the one we went with was definitely impacted by the good energy from the leasing consultant.

It was not the cheapest place and not even in the best location.

But his positive attitude and friendliness and willingness to ask us questions and show interest in what we had to say got us to go with his place.

It also probably helped that he gave us free red bull before the tour :)

We were willing to pay literally hundreds of dollars more per month.

The others werent nearly as personable and honestly didnt seem all that interested in winning us over.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore