The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Value skew: What discernible difference ultimately turned you into a buyer or x-buyer?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think it would be great to have a discussion on value skew as it works in the real world. Mainly, post your experience with a product or service you recently bought, and the core buying reason WHY you bought it.

Or, post negative skew items, a core reason WHY you STOPPED buying from a particular company.

I'll copy an example of "negative skew" from @biophase who posted this recently in the Random Chat thread.

This will give us a great digest of value attributes that compel purchases in business, or compel x-buyers. The more discernible skew you present in your offer, the more sales you will attract. The less negative skew in your offer, the fewer buyers you will lose.

Simple examples of skew:
  • They answered my email in 1 hour!
  • They had this great feature that no one else had!
  • They were $12 cheaper per month
  • They had an ingredient I was looking for
  • Just liked the packaging
  • They had a great cause that spoke to my identity
Note: Your skew could also be an experience relating to customer loyalty: Wow, Widget Company did X for me and that really makes me loyal to them!

Simple examples of negative skew:
  • Too many upsells in the cart process!
  • Confusing checkout process
  • Shipping prices were insane
  • Contained an ingredient I don't want (Aspartame, Red-40)
  • The company turned into a political activist or became "woke" or "anti-woke"
  • Failed to answer my support question timely
Ill start.

I recently joined a fitness program and after I subscribed, the company offered me a "free fitness accessory". Naturally, I expected the item to be FREE, but have a $12 shipping cost -- so it still was a profit center. To my surprise, the item WAS free, and so was shipping! This totally increased my loyalty to this company.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MAlLChimp is now a censored word, replaced with MailCheat.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I wanted to give a young guy about my age a shot as a new contractor to repair the siding on my garage - but he showed up to my house stoned out of his mind and smelling like weed. Negative skew! Sorry bro!

I went with the older, slower, more expensive guy.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another example...

I've mentioned Native Deodorant several times (sold for $100M to Proctor/Gamble) about how they skewed a boring industry. Here is their body wash product, and how they created skew...

IMG_2403.JPG

All labels of personal care products seem like a chemistry list. Instead of accept that as the way things are, or how business is always done, they observed the normalcy and changed it through skew. They deciphered the chemicals... a simple idea creates positive value skew.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
F*ck MailCheat(Chimp), now owned by Intuit. As expected, let the towel squeezing begin to appease the shareholders.

They are forcing me to UPGRADE my account because I have exceeded my audience list. And then, when I try to delete the audiences, they tell me I'm not allowed. In other words, I'm basically being extorted to use my email list, as I cannot delete audiences and I cannot send email without upgraded.

F*ck MailCheat(Chimp).

Mind you, I send out about 20 emails per month via this account and now they have arbitrarily changed the rules. So they want me to pay 100s per month so I can send 20 emails.

F*ck MailCheat(Chimp). And F*ck Intuit, another shitty public company that I refuse to do business with.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I wanted to give a young guy about my age a shot as a new contractor to repair the siding on my garage - but he showed up to my house stoned out of his mind and smelling like weed. Negative skew! Sorry bro!

I went with the older, slower, more expensive guy.
he actually showed up?? looks like the home services industry is getting more competitive.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The website smartfares lost me as a customer today.

I want to purchase a plane ticket and it was $100 cheaper on smartfares. While going through the checkout process I was hit with so many upsells that I eventually exited and bought the plane ticket for $100 more on another site.

What got me was the part where I was supposed to select my seat. Look at the shady text above it. By choosing items 1-3 you get charged $20 and you don't even get the seat guaranteed. And then you have to pay for customer support?

2.png

These are the other upsells that I declined.

3.png
At this point it just felt like a shakedown and I just exited and went straight to the airline site where I paid $100 more, but I also got to pick my seat and had better peace of mind.

1.png

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Wow, amazing that most of the replies (thus far) are about NEGATIVE skew.

This is typical. And why "news" is all depressing. We are wired to notice negatives more and rant about them. Ironically, it's where the positives are hidden.

I'll give a few examples of positive value skews:

1. Garmin released a watch called Enduro. It's for ultra marathoners. It addresses one big thing - battery life. Most gps watches need daily charging or at least once every few days. This one can be used as a watch for a month! Run it with GPS and it'll run enough for any ultra marathon. Here is the thing - I am not an ultra runner. But I bought it and love it because I hate having to charge my sports watches every damn day after my workouts.
2. Because of the pandemic, many retail bike stores were shut down and move to online sales. That's great, it's the future. I was in the market for a new gravel bike. The ability to walk into a store and have a look, touch, feel of the bike you want has become a value skew! Instead of the shop I used to buy from (that re-invented itself as an internet business now), I went to a new store, closer to home that had doubled down on the old way of retail! I talked to a guy who helped me choose the right bike and I ordered it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ve been using MS-Excel since 1992. I’ve been paying the monthly MS-Office fee for years, switched laptop, and couldn’t figure out how to move the license over. It was just too complicated for something that should have been seamless.

So I cancelled and switched to Google Sheets, which is free anyway.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
Here in Thailand, fish sauce is big business. I was at the store the other day with my girlfriend and we noticed a new brand that had a lot of value skews:
  • 30% less sodium
  • 0% sugar
  • No 3-MCPD (whatever that is)
  • No potassium added (not sure why you wouldn't want potassium)
  • Vitamin B12 added
None of these value skews interested me, except for the 0% sugar. What caught my girlfriend's attention was the WHITE label. The bottle stood out from all the others. We decided to give it a try, even if it was a little more expensive than the rest. In the end, she didn't care for the taste.

Lesson learned; you never know what value skew will catch the attention of a customer. It could be just color and graphics. But, the product still has to be good to get repeat purchases.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Here is a positive value skew for where we bought our house. Our location is just minutes away from downtown AND this:

59D4358D-42C8-4D23-ABB8-635F551029A9.jpeg

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
On the negative side, during the rioting that took place in 2020, I was using an app on my eCommerce store called Privy. It provided a pop-up to capture email addresses for my list. The owner sent out a nauseating letter, basically apologizing for his whiteness and saying how they would be donating to BLM and other black organizations.

I wrote back and told him how I considered BLM to be a racist, marxist and terrorist organization. I didn't want the money I was paying for the app to be going there. (By the way, the founders of BLM just bought a multi-million dollar mansion in California for themselves).

I soon realized that Klavio, which I was already using, had it's own pop-up form. So, I dropped Privy and started using it instead. Getting into politics is definitely a negative skew for a company. You're going to lose half your audience, whichever way you go.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
My gym: Offered a new, lower pricing tier which has successfully brought a ton of new customers in. At the same time, they expanded the restricted personal training areas footprint.

Now we have 2x as many people in less space. I haven't been to the gym and enjoyed a workout once in the past month as every single time I want to move to a piece of equipment or set of weights I need to wait 10 mins or beg to work in. Where my workouts normally took ~45mins I'm now spending closer to an hour & 15 mins while constantly substituting exercises so as not to have 2-hour workouts.

Almost everyone I know at the gym feels the same. I'm about to join a new one that is 10 mins further away and more expensive.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I think that even if there are 100 reasons to buy a product, a single reason not to buy that hits the wrong nerve could be the deciding factor.

SPM_ENT

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Aug 1, 2017
Los Angeles
Negative Skew: Payroll, switched from ADP to Gusto.

ADP had me waiting 4 hours for a call back for support to answer simple questions. Gusto answers the phone within a few minutes every time I call. The platform is also pretty intuitive. Ease of use and support are usually my #1 priorities.

I'll finish with a positive skew... bought a new to me Gretsch. Compared to my previous guitar it sounds amazing (plugged in or not), and it looks awesome on my wall.

unnamed.jpg

hammiesink

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 6, 2021
Positive skew:

Dave's Killer Bread.

I use whole bread for everything, and I usually buy Western Hearth Whole Wheat Bread:

But then I heard the story of Dave Dahl, and how he got out of prison and worked for his parents' bakery (for the third time), and created Dave's Killer Bread. I started buying his whole wheat bread instead of Western Hearth:

61Pwwe4NBbL._SL1000_.jpg

His bread skewed positive for me:
  • A human story instead of a faceless corporation (notice I'm saying "his" bread)
  • Very specific description of "21 grains" (I bet Western Hearth has the same, but they don't mention it)
  • It's twice as expensive (it must be higher quality!)
  • It has a lot of 5 star reviews
Ultimately, I switched back to Western Hearth, so the positive skew became negative for me, for the following reasons:
  • Dave's has a lot of sugar in it; the whole point of whole wheat bread is a slower blood sugar burn
  • The price
  • I recognized I was being fooled by excellent marketing tactics, but not necessarily a better product
Despite my switch, I often keep in mind the factors that got me to switch to Dave's and still think about them as I study copywriting and marketing. E.g. a human for branding, a higher price indicating higher quality, etc.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'll be honest, it is a lot easier to complain than it is to think and find examples of positive skew. Really requires some thinking-the negative examples are easy.

Positive skew: Needed termite treatment. Got 2 quotes, similar prices, one offered 5 months of payments interest free and was local, plus it was a guy I knew personally versus a big company out of a larger city. I went with the local guy. ALSO gave me free rat treatment cuz that was another problem I was having, no charge, totally solved that issue.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I remember when I sold cable I could do everything right for a customer. Give them a sweet discount, personally show up during the installation and make sure it went perfectly, and pick up the phone every time they called with a question or complaint. But if the service did one thing wrong, like the remote didn't work properly, or a channel didn't show up in HD right away, they'd blow up my phone and request to cancel.

I feel like a company could do a million things right but screw up once and we get the pitchforks out lol.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
ToDoist
Few years back, I needed a great app to manage my tasks. After researching plenty of them, I gave todoist a go and started their free trial. By the end of the trial, I had barely used the tool because of other priorities that took most of my time. Came time to the end of the trial, I cancelled. Rep reached out by email asking why I decided to not continue. I explained that I, unfortunately, did not have the time to test. He replied back within 30 min and told me he re-started the trial period. Have been a user since then.

On the flip side Evernote.... sigh. I have plenty of notes, and accessing them from everywhere is important to me. I gave Evernote premium a try when it was still in its infancy. And it was great. Access to my notes on all the devices I want, simple app that just works, amazing web clipper... I was hooked. As time passed, they gradually went from being innovators to having a clunky software and an infuriating pricing structure. I found Obsidian which is not only use local notes (no proprietary file, just a simple markdown - so better privacy), is flexible and powerful.

Freeletics: "AI" coach. Simple app, good workouts from anywhere...

Lufa farms: food delivery service of local products; convenient and healthy while supporting the local community.

oura ring: great sleep tracker on your finger. The form won me over. I track my fitness level with a watch but hate sleeping with it.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just spent an hour on a chat line with those assholes over at MailCheat(Chimp)/Intuit ... naturally, I wasted one hour with some idiot who had no authority to do anything. So right now my account is being held hostage, and useless, unless I "UPGRADE NOW!" Legal extortion.

Intuit has officially joined the ranks of dogshit companies like Facebook and PayPal.

Train

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
May 11, 2021
My example of positive value skew making me a happy and loyal customer is my local dentist's office.

Positive value skew:
  1. Quick service. I'm not left waiting an hour in the lobby and then another half hour in the patient chair.
  2. "Bedside manner" is decent to great. The dentist is very warm, empathetic, AND professional in performing her duties. I see too many doctors who act like automatons.
  3. The dental work is usually quick, efficient, and lasting. The dentist is very thorough and methodical in her work. Zero sloppiness.
  4. The front office is efficient, quick to respond, and accomodating. They were able to accommodate a request to ship Invisalign trays out to another state.
  5. The offices are clean, in good condition, and look very professional. I don't feel like I'm getting teeth drilled in some hole in a wall.
Negatives include just some miscommunication in coordinating the shipping of Invisalign trays but it's minor and not that troublesome to me. I'm happy they even do that.

The only other negative is the dentist is in a rush from patient to patient but they MORE than make up for it with their great work AND "bedside manner." I've had doctors rush me out of offices like some cattle and feel almost dirty I did business with them. Not the case here.

To summarize, customer service is king for me in being a loyal customer to this place. And what's fascinating to me is they didn't need to innovate some cutting-edge tech to lure me in. It's a "forever" business providing regular service like a flower shop, pizza shop, etc.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Plus, incidentally, I prefer to support a startup moving the needle rather than a behemoth whose principles I dislike.

Just starting a small business and making it clear you are not some technocrat in itself, is a skew.

Given a choice between a small local company and some mega-giant, I 100% will choose the smaller company.

In fact, I just did this and had great joy dropping Intuit like a hot steaming pile of manure.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If only quest took out the damn sucralose

OMG this irritates the hell out of me. Companies advertise "all natural" and then list sucralose as a sweetener.

No, your product isn't "naturally sweetened" when you have this junk in it. Not sure how these companies continually get away with that. Sucralose is not a natural sweetener.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
My gym: Offered a new, lower pricing tier which has successfully brought a ton of new customers in. At the same time, they expanded the restricted personal training areas footprint.

Now we have 2x as many people in less space. I haven't been to the gym and enjoyed a workout once in the past month as every single time I want to move to a piece of equipment or set of weights I need to wait 10 mins or beg to work in. Where my workouts normally took ~45mins I'm now spending closer to an hour & 15 mins while constantly substituting exercises so as not to have 2-hour workouts.

Almost everyone I know at the gym feels the same. I'm about to join a new one that is 10 mins further away and more expensive.
The same thing happened to me. The gym I go to took out some of their equipment and incentivized a ton of new members to join. I've tried going in at all hours of the day to get equipment and it's always crowded now. Moving to a new city anyways soon so won't have to deal with the problem for long but it sucks having to wait thirty minutes for some teenager to get done scrolling through Instagram so I can use the leg press machine.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or criticizing me. I'll express my opinions here and in other media as an individual. I'm not trying to build an audience. But I would never bring up politics in any communication to my customers, which is what that company (and many others) did.

I agree with your position on businesses not “taking a stand” on politics. That should be left to us as individuals. Customer loyalty is fragile at best of times, it’s sad when people start mixing their personal feelings with business core competencies. It’s more and more popular these days, and I don’t understand anyone who does that. Seems to have unlimited downside and no real upside.

Just look at Netflix’s loss of customers.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can you export your email list and import into some other platform MJ?

Yes, I will try to cancel by month end. Problem is, I have links everywhere which is a pain to switch.

This situation is just like SONOS when they violate some of the most basic principles -- I refuse to give that company another dime of my money, even if it inconveniences me or costs me more $$.

Add Intuit/MailCheats to this list.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
In the market for a new car. Going to go with a hybrid suv. I've wanted an SUV for a while, but I drive so much for work that the gas costs make them unwise for me. Now some of these SUVs get better gas mileage than sedans. So the gas mileage benefits are obvious, but not the sole decision maker.

I like how the electric motors put out more hp and torque. If you like driveability, I don't know why you'd buy a gas SUV. And now I'll have the ability to do some light off road for camping trips with my kids and I don't have to feel like I am driving a skimpy Prius. Plus they have less recommended maintenance vs their gas models, which means (hopefully) less trips/time to the shop.

It comes down to how I want to spend my time. For a little more, I get to spend the quality time with my kids that I want, and less time pumping gas or sitting in a service area.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I’ve stayed signed up to loads of SaaS products simply because they actually do the one thing I want them to do. Being usable is enough for me to recommend them to other people.
Agreed.

Too many SaaS companies try to become an all in one solution and water down their core offering. Looking at you Callrail.

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
Service provider- Amazon
Product provider - muscleblaze
Product- peanut butter
While searching for reliable peanut butter with zero trans fat and moderate to less "saturated" fats(and preservatives),i found that most of the stores that i know of in about 5 to 6km radius had products that did not qualified for required criteria.
Here comes first positive skew from amazon- provided service for product that i was searching for (with reviews)
2nd positive skew- muscleblaze provided peanut butter with zero trans fat and with fibers in it and chocolate flavour.
3rd - they also provided coupons for other products with discount
*4th - after reading reviews, most of which were asking about bigger package (1kg), they upgraded the current package of 750gm to 1kg with little price increase.
There are some negative skew too but they can vary person to person (for ex preservatives that are allergic)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.