The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using a dead man's likeness for marketing - Should I?

Marketing, social media, advertising

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think you can without significant legal trouble. Right to publicity exists for celebrities, even dead ones. @AllenCrawley is also leveraging the likeness of a "dead person" and he had to get a license. You can't just draw a photo of Sinatra (or Lagerfeld) and call it your brand, or even in your marketing. You might not get caught, but I wouldn't...

Also look up the case law, Michael Jordan Vs Dominicks.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm making an addition to my company's line of products. I'm thinking up ideas for ads, and a pretty good one popped came to my head. It would involve a cartoon character, drawn in the image of Karl Lagerfeld. For legal reasons, id make sure to have the artist make changes so its not a carbon copy.

My target audience (fashionistas) LOVE that man. Unfortunately, he passed away not too long ago.

So long story short...in your opinion, would it be morally wrong to go ahead with this idea?
Do you think that the public would respond negatively to the ad?

If it’s close enough that your audience knows who it’s supposed to be... then you’re infringing aren’t you?

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
The law on this subject varies from state to state. There is no uniform rule of law governing the issue. But ... I personally would not go there. In the states where the laws exist and are strong, you could be cruising for a bruising. Even if you win, how much do you want to spend on legal fees? And if you lose ... you'll be paying their legal fees as well ...

Not worth it. Run with Plan B ...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
I'm making an addition to my company's line of products. I'm thinking up ideas for ads, and a pretty good one popped came to my head. It would involve a cartoon character, drawn in the image of Karl Lagerfeld. For legal reasons, id make sure to have the artist make changes so its not a carbon copy.

My target audience (fashionistas) LOVE that man. Unfortunately, he passed away not too long ago.

So long story short...in your opinion, would it be morally wrong to go ahead with this idea?
Do you think that the public would respond negatively to the ad?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.