The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

USANA - any advice here?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Mr K

New Contributor
Jan 14, 2008
Hi there

So I'm looking at ways to offset my day job income & I chatted last night to a couple of guys who sell USANA products & fanchises. I'm always a bit skeptical of these type of things - for a start the encourage floggin' stuff off to your family and friends - which I always dislike doing (although I guess if the product is that good, then yeah I have no probs).

I'm wondering if anyone here has advice about Direct Selling businesses, these MLM type (USANA say they are not MLM, but you do earn your points based on the people below you). www.usana.com is their global site

Cheers
K

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
* Reserving space .... will comment later ***

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
Not to detract from what I'm sure will be a fun post for MJ, :), but I believe the general rule on this forum is no discussion of MLM-type businesses...

Some people love MLM, some hate it, and while there are probably decent MLM businesses out there (maybe), most of them look to take advantage of the "greater fool" theory.

It's MJ's forum, so it's his call, but based on what I saw over at RD, these types of dicussions eventually start to permeate every thread, every sig, and generally detract from the goodness of the forum.

Just my $.02...

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
most of them look to take advantage of the "greater fool" theory.
:notworthy: Thx J ... How about we start with an explanation of the "greater fool" theory. I never heard that but want too!!!!

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
well, I saw this thread and thought "oh boy, another thread to lock down" but was surprised that MJ didn't do it first.

I can only assume that the main point is again the same... if you are the one buying the franchise you are somebody else's fastlane plan. If you are the one selling the franchises then you are creating your fastlane business.

The problem here, in my opinion, is that Mr K is just looking for offsetting his day job income. He does not want to make this his fastlane idea or business development. Problem is, you are probably not offsetting it, you are just changing jobs.

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
Wikipedia says it better than I can:

"The bigger fool theory or greater fool theory (also called survivor investing) is the belief held by one who makes a questionable investment, with the assumption that they will be able to sell it later to "a bigger fool"; in other words, buying something not because you believe that it is worth the price, but rather because you believe that you will be able to sell it to some one else for an even higher price.

It might be on some occasions a valid method of making money in the stock market -- however, the market participants eventually realize that the price level is too outrageous and the speculative bubble pops. The bigger fool theory relies on market optimism concerning a particular stock, an industry, or the market as a whole."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger_fool_theory

The greater fool theory is often responsible for those things we consider as "bubbles." For example, the tech bubble of the late 90's, people were buying stocks at ever higher prices -- REGARDLESS OF THEIR ACTUAL VALUE -- because they believed they could find some other "fool" who would pay even more. Eventually, it all came crashing down. And the biggest fool ended up without a chair... (how's that for mixed metaphors :))

OP
OP
M

Mr K

New Contributor
Jan 14, 2008
Mr K goes red in face - makes noobie mistake bringing up forbidden topics ... sorry all. Thanks for responding.

@JScott
You are 100% right, I wasn't particularly looking for endorsement of a particular product. I am itching for a way to offset my income. I desperately want to put something in place that allows me to generate passive income.

Thanks all, the general advice I'm getting from all places is - create a real business :) he he

Feel free to lock this thread MJ

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
New Course! Upwork Client Psychology I #UdemyApproved! Upwork Client Psychology I is designed...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom