The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

USA Trademark Required? (Canadian Company Selling To US Market)

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I own a Canadian company (Digital Marketing Agency) that sells primarily to the US market.

Should I get a trademark for my business name in the US? (Or any form of legal protection)

If so, what's the process?

I don't want to run into a problem in the future where someone steals my name in the US while I sell to the US market.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Good place to start is United States Patent and Trademark Office and read up.

You can register Copyrights there via net from wherever in the world you are so probably same is for trademarks.

From what I remember you'll need to choose classifications of your product to be protected under.
And decide on protecting image (aka logo) words or both.

Good luck.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
You'll need to hire a trademark attorney.

It used to be "do it yourself" but the USPTO changed the rules so now all non-US fillings must be made via a US-registered attorney.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
I own a Canadian company (Digital Marketing Agency) that sells primarily to the US market.

Should I get a trademark for my business name in the US? (Or any form of legal protection)

If so, what's the process?

I don't want to run into a problem in the future where someone steals my name in the US while I sell to the US market.

Thanks.
Let me know if you need any help or have questions after you check the USPTO website. If you need to file, I am willing to help you for free of course, I have received so many from this forum that it feels good to give back.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Let me know if you need any help or have questions after you check the USPTO website. If you need to file, I am willing to help you for free of course, I have received so many from this forum that it feels good to give back.

Thanks Lucky. I really appreciate that.

I will DM you as soon as I read through everything.

How long is the process typically?

You'll need to hire a trademark attorney.

It used to be "do it yourself" but the USPTO changed the rules so now all non-US fillings must be made via a US-registered attorney.

Good place to start is United States Patent and Trademark Office and read up.

You can register Copyrights there via net from wherever in the world you are so probably same is for trademarks.

From what I remember you'll need to choose classifications of your product to be protected under.
And decide on protecting image (aka logo) words or both.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was originally debating how necessary a trademark really is before you scale, but the thought of someone trademarking my name when my biz is at scale isn't fun.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Thanks Lucky. I really appreciate that.

I will DM you as soon as I read through everything.

How long is the process typically?

Thanks for the advice guys. I was originally debating how necessary a trademark really is before you scale, but the thought of someone trademarking my name when my biz is at scale isn't fun.

In reality it would take them around 4 months in order to assign an examiner and get the application stated as correctly filed if you don´t have to correct any error and there is no previous similar filing. After that the challenging or opposition time initiates. It would take between 9 to 12 more months in order for the trademark to be granted.
In any way, you are protected since the day of the filing, since no one can file a similar brand without the USPTO raising an objection regarding an older filing with confusion potential.

After the moment you initially file, you can use the letters TM after the brand. After it is finally granted you can use the "r" inside a circle. ®

Hope that helps, if your address is outside the US and your business has no address in the US, you need a licensed attorney to do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.