The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ecommerce - Journey to Fastlane while having 2 little kids and living in a developing country

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Hi. My name is Stefan and this is my execution post (2nd one).
The first one was after I read unscripted and got hyped. Turned out that I was the perfect example of MJ talked about people who after reading the books start an execution post and after that, they vanish. I was the guy who was referring to. I was ashamed to post because I actually didn't have anything because all I was doing was action faking. So I did not post anything after the introduction..

But things have changed now. I started doing something. I started my own business while still having a job.

In this execution post I will write about my struggles, my thoughts, my fears, my actions to an upgraded life, and also about results. Maybe this will help someone and maybe I will find support from the guys who did this.

So I will start with the begging. Of course I searched for online businesses that can make you a lot of money and one day I saw one guy talking about selling POD items in Brazil without being necessary to know the language lol. I am from eastern Europe and I said why not, let's try it. The whole thing was "look for the products which sell good in US and covert them to brazilian market". Make some fb ads and BAM, you will be rich. They even had a support email where you could send them the messages and they would translate them for you. The process was: find a design, make a fb page, post the design with the description, and after that make a fb ad using the existing post, all in a language that I did not know. One day, when I woke up, I saw that I made a sale of a tshirt. My mind went crazy "I will be rich, so easy. Just look for designs which sell in us and bring them here". But that was all. One single sale and after that I did what all others say all the time, especially the POD providers. "Do not quit. Keep testing until you find a winner". The thing was, they were the only ones who were making a profit. But I said ok, let's try one more time with this pretty design. So I tried again with a different product. But I hated their mockup. It had a strange color and the design looked bad on it. I messaged them and asked to change the mockup but they didn't give a crap.

So that was the time when the thought came to my mind: "What if I try to do my own products in my own country?" without using a third party. This thought stayed with me day after day. This is the first part of my journey. It all started on 08.06.2020.
I will come back with the rest soon.
Thank you for having the patience to read.
Stefan.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You're in Brazil?

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
You're in Brazil?
No, I am in my home country, in Eastern Europe. The thing with Brazil was that the third party (POD company) made possible to sell there, without actually be there. Your job was to find designs, upload on their platform, and they will send the products to the clients there. They were making and deliver the products. But it was a new "unsaturated opportunity".

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
So, on 8.06.2020 I decided with my wife and my 4-month baby to start a business in my home country doing personalized products.
Knowing nothing about this subject, I literally took a paper and put there what I thought I would need. So, tools and equipment, needed a site, needed a company, fb page, a domain, etc. Then I focused on one step at a time. I have read on this forum one day a message that stayed with me since "focus on the next step, not the 50th". So I did that.
Researched what I need, how personalized products are made.
I needed also a site where I will put my products. Asked for prices and got some huge numbers and I said "thanks but no thanks". So I started to learn shopify and how can I create a website that I like. Every time I have just focused on the next step.
I opened a company without paying anybody. I searched what documents I needed and did that. I researched where can I find a supplier for the packaging, the products, etc.
Every day I was battling with myself. After I have completed one step, my mind was like oh we did this, it is enough for today. So I still actioned faked a lot. Now that I look back, I see how much time I have lost on watching videos or reading articles and thinking that I have advanced. The thing was, I would forget what I saw because I was not at the step to implement. So wasted a lot of time.
After I bought the equipment, I have started to play with the products, to learn by doing. I would test all kinds of settings. I was frustrated a lot because I could not make the final product look the way that I wanted. But I kept trying. Again and again. I wanted to have better products. I wanted them to look special and awesome. Together with my wife, we made the packaging look different. We did not take a box and put the product and that was it. She put her creativity at work and made them look different. We were ready.
This was happening in November. So it took 5 months to become ready. I action faking a lot. I wanted to be live for Christmas. If it wasn't for Christmas, I think I would have continued action faking till next year.
The next part coming soon.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
So the day we went live arrived. On the 14th of November, we opened the store and we made a purchase test. All went good and after that, some of my friends shared my fb post and page. Nothing happened until the 16th. I remember the feeling that I had. Were having dinner and suddenly the sale sound arrived. We didn't run any ads and somehow we got a sale (probably from the shares at the beginning). I called my friends to see if they know that person and till this day I have no idea where it came from. I can not describe that feeling. It is something unique and wonderful.

One more sale came on 24.11 and then I said that it was time to learn how to do ads. We decided to go for fb ads. I posted on fb and use that post for my ad. Broad kw, because I did not know how to use all those different settings. Here is how we finished the month: 8 conversions :)

november.png

Then I added a new design, made for Christmas, made a new post and went for another ad with 5$ budget per day. December was the best month of the year regarding my journey. I worked with my wife until 2 am in the morning every day to make the products and ship them. It was hard because we had to make our program after we took care of the baby. So we will work at night when the baby was sleeping. We had to work in quiet to not wake her up. Pretty intense experience, but we loved it. We were working for us. I have never imagined that I will work at 2 am. I was lucky that the work at the job was pretty close to zero, so I could focus on our business. (I worked from home because of the pandemics, it was pretty good for us).

So the results of December were:
(we stopped the ads on the 15th of December because we were afraid that the products will not arrive till Christmas. So from 15, we did not accept new orders)

92 sessions converted
5,66% conversion rate
8.42 % returning customers (It seems that they liked the product and came back to order more. I was responding to them on fb and whatsapp even at 11 pm. I did not care about the hour. If I was awake, I was there for them.
december.png

So these were my results in 2020. I will come back with the post regarding the activity from the begging of the year 2021 to now.

Meantime, I want to start learning google ads. Do you recommend some free materials updated to 2021 to start? Some yt guy who you tested what he says and work?

Last edited:

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
So on the 15th of December, I stopped the ads and stopped the sales. On 1 of January, we had an organic sale. That was a wonderful feeling on the first day of the year.

We have started the ads on 2th of January. We thought that January will not be as good as December because people will not buy gifts anymore. We were WRONG. January was even better than December. We had a raise in sales by 5% according to shopify.
111 sessions converted
5,21 % conversion rate
6,14 returning customer

February - Even better than January
134 sessions converted
6,53% conversion rate
5,71% returning customer

Every month was better than the one before it. It was so nice to see these things. April was the best month of our business ever. We said that we wanted every month to be better than the one that passed. So we had a desire that May would have to be better than April.

Well, that is not what happened.

May was not as good as April. We saw a decrease in traffic.

In our best month, we had 3k sessions wherein in May we had 2.3k. So a decrease of 24%.

June is so much worse than May.

Trafic: 2k,
sessions converted,
Sales dropped by 27%.

This is when I begin to look at what was happening and what should I do.

My questions now are:

"Is it decreasing because of the summer? - I do not have a term of comparison because it is our first year.
"Why does the traffic decreased? - Then I looked at my fb ad account and saw there a notification that 2 of my 3 ads have "ad fatigue" and I should do other ads."

I did not have a products description and was not indexed on google. Started to look and learn about SEO and started to add descriptions using kw at my products.

What I think I need to do now is to learn some fb ads. Because I did not change anything since I started them in November.

I just let them do their job because it worked.

Traffic this month is 2k but in the last 4 days, I started a searched text ad on google - Watched a basic shopify course in the library about Google Ads. Started a campaign with 5$/day, got some visitors (like +20/day) but I did not get any sales from it. I think I will stop it in the following days and stick and try to learn better fb ads.

So right now the problem is with Traffic.

So now we work on adding descriptions to all of our products and finding ways to increase traffic.

So this is it. This is my ongoing journey with my online store.

We are going forward and look how can I increase the sales. We are working on new designs and we want to bring new products.

That is all for today :)

Thanks for having the patience to read.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Following.

See Andy Black's information about google ads, he shares a lot of free information

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Following.

See Andy Black's information about google ads, he shares a lot of free information
Thank you Lyinx. Will look for sure.

A quick update.

Since most of the sales are coming from fb ads, I have decided to postpone learning google ads for now and focus on creating and learnining more about fb ads.

So now I am working on creating a video ad. I do not know anything about creating videos and today I made some research and I found some useful free aps and I will try with those to see what I can create.

I will share them here, maybe will help someone. Please have in mind that I did not created yet the video, but I am going to try using these aps. Will come back when I will have it and update the process.

So:

Gopro quik - free mobile app for creating videos
Canva - was using it for creating materials for fb posts and designs.

Update no 2:

I have received some samples from China for some products to sell for Christmas. I have not used alibaba since my first attempt with amazon in 2018. Was a little bit nervous because I did not know how and what to look at the suppliers, but I have searched the supplier to be gold. I did not talk about price at all, just asking about the factory and if they are a manufacturer or a trading company.

The samples are good quality and I like them a lot. Now I need to make some tests on them and then I will place the order for Christmas.

"Problem no 1" to deal with - sometimes I feel overwhelmed, it look like there are so many things to do and I do not know what to do first and this think block me and I end doing nothing. I have GSD trello system, I put a lot of things there but somehow when the day stars I do not look there..

If you have some tips that worked for you and can share, I would appreciate.

I wake up at 6:30 and work until baby gets up (usually at 9:00). I do not want to not be there for her, so I can only work when she sleeps. Usually, I do my job at work, and then work on the business. I am lucky that she sleeps 3 hours after lunch. But if I receive something to work from my job, these 3 hours reduce a lot. So the priority will be job, making the orders placed and then taking steps forward in the business. At night, I get pretty tired and I find very hard to learn new things and apply. So I think the best way for me now is to learn and apply new things in the morning. This is the battle that I am currently in. But it will get better, I am confident.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Hi guys. Time really goes fast! Haven't posted about my journey since July. Well, here is an update.

We closed the 2021 Year with 34K in Sales! Maybe these numbers don't seem much for you, but for us (me and my wife) is awesome. December was the best month ever since my journey. We had 6K in sales! Now we want this year to be better

Still struggling with time, but now I have downloaded and implemented MJ Daily Activity sheet and focus only on one thing that moves the needle. Our sales come 90 % FB, and some returning customers and organic (guess from other clients friends since I do not have at the moment much traffic from Google). The bad news is that the fb campaigns that went all the last year died, no longer being profitable with them. But I created others, using new designs and new creatives and they are ok, at least for now.

The plan is to lunch new designs for the product we sell now and also to bring new products. Our aim for this year is to bring 2 new products.

Now I am focusing on new designs (want to have 3 more this month) and also I want to learn how to use Klavyo. I want to have an email list and now is the time to start building it.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Hello. Wow, one year has passed since my last update. Time flies so fast..
So, regarding the progress thread. My plan for 2022 was:

- 2 new products - FAILED
- +10% revenue compared to 2021. - FAILED

Well, both of the goals FAILED.

A new member arrived in our family, so we had to change focus. We stopped the ads when the time came, until we were ready to come back to work. - this was the time when @MJ DeMarco words were coming to me (the business needs us to operate so it is not ok. We had some organic sales, but we worked hard even to send those. We just didn't have time). We said that 1,2 months we will get used having 2 little kids and after that we can start the ads and go slow.

We knew from the first kid that after 1, 2 months we will be more calm it will get easier to deal with business. Well, it seems that it was the exact opposite. It was very hard to take care of both and also concentrate on the sales, production and all the stuff.

The only time when we could have worked was when they were sleeping, but now we had two and guess what. They do not fall asleep at the same time so we had to split. So we could only work in the midnight, when we were exhausted. Some nights couldn't do anything, cause they were getting up so my wife would go back and try again.

Long story short, It was extremely hard for us.

I think we had the ads stopped for 4 months. So here is what 2022 was:

Total sales : - 7% compared to 2021
October, November and December - better sales compared to 2021. I think that if we didn't stop the ads, maybe we could have completed the target. But it doesn't matter now.
Still only one product all year and one very seasonal.

Good things about 2022:
  • In summer, we put reviews on site because on facebook I only got reviews when clients contacted us to thank us and I was asking for them. But in one year and half, we had like 30-40 reviews on facebook. Since we put on site and made an email where we ask for them, we have received till now 110 reviews, 5 star, in 8 months. People like the experience that they have with us and also the quality of the product.
  • The last 3 months of the year were better than the last 3 months of 2021.
  • We found a new product to lunch. (still working on it)
  • We worked faster and now we had more experience with tasks.
  • Having this business, we hired my wife (minimum salary) and I stayed home in what they call holiday for raising the newborn. So we were both home with the kids, and working on the business. We were slightly profitable, but a very very low profit (since my wife has a salary)
  • We understood for the first time what it means to work for you. We could go with the kids in the morning outside and enjoy the day, and we come back to work when they were sleeping. A feeling of freedom, that we did not sense till now. Nobody was deciding for us what to do, when to do. We managed our time and we loved it.

Not so good things:
  • We still have personalized products, so it takes a lot of time to make them. I want to bring normal products, which help people and to work only in the beginning at creating them.
  • Even if we bring more products to personalize, it will become more harder since you actually have to do them. So instead of freeing our time, we become more trapped.
  • I hate when people refuse the products when they arrive at them. In December, every day we had minimum one package refused. People change their mind so fast, it's incredible. We were sending the products second day... Since there are personalized, they go to trash, so a minus for us. We can't reuse them. And it is also the feeling, that you worked a lot for it and it was all in vain. You could have done other things..

So, here we are, today.

Total sales YTD: - 18% compared with the beginning of 2022. (yep, that is a minus).

I really wanted to start another business, but with the reviews and the messages from the clients, I am confused. So I was thinking, maybe I can make a hybrid shop. With personalized products, and also normal products, from the same niche. So, I started to read all @biophase posts and I want to find products that I can bring.

I am in a point now that I do not know what to do..

I will focus for now to get the second product up and maybe I will know after what do to next.

PS: We still work from our apartment.

Also, can someone help me with changing the title of my execution thread?

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Update:

I will start with the goals for this year

• Revenue: 50.000 $ sales
  • 4 products on my site

Where I am now.

Revenue till 20.05.2023 - 8.5k (-7% compared to previous year) so yes, the Goal that I set freaks me out, but I will do my best to achieve it
1 month ago I launched a second product (sold only 4 but didn't do much marketing, so I can not say yet if it is a failure). It is also a personalized product.
In discussion with a supplier to bring a 3rd product, this time not for personalization. The product is in the same niche that a lot of people bought personalized products from me.

Well, April month was the worst month since I started this business. 1287$

Look what happens when you stay only on one channel for traffic. Facebook had some errors with overspending and destroying the ads and my ads died. From 5-6 sales per day, I was at 1 sale or some days without sales.

Every month this year was worst than the previous year, so the sales are going down.

Will go back to work.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Update:

1. Pod business sales are still decreasing. I focus on bringing new designs and new creatives. My ads are slowly dying
    The second product sold very few. When I did ads, only sold 4. Ads were not profitable and stopped them. Since then, I sold 5 products when people were coming to my website from the ads with my main product. We will see in q4 if it sells or if it is a failure.

2. I started writing on Medium after I read @monnffffiiiiiii's post. My goal is to bring more money to the business. Made 0.09 $. My next goal is to make 1$.

3. I am working on bringing a product to life. Not a pod product. I want to slowly make the transition from pod to normal products. Or to have a hybrid shop (do not know yet). I want to use the database of people who bought from my website since I have started.

Regarding the last point, I was very frustrated over the last 2 months. I messaged a lot of suppliers and some answered, some not. When I thought I found the supplier who will make the product, we talked like for two weeks all the details. He even accepted that I want to do a test order first. Because of this discussion, I stopped searching for others. Well, after two damn weeks, he told me that the factory can not do it. LOL. Lesson learned: even if a supplier tells you he can do it, search for more. If someone makes a step back, you are not affected. I lost two weeks chatting with him and I was again at step 1. (that was not a 100% fail discussion because that supplier helped me with some 2d drawings and based on those I did a 3d model which I used after with other suppliers).

Started again to contact suppliers and was slowly becoming discouraged. I did not understand why is so damn hard for them to make a CNC small product. I even give them the file for the product. I also contacted suppliers in my country and did not receive responses.

I changed my approach and contacted the suppliers in China for the main part of the product. I will complete the product myself at my house.

Update to date: I found a supplier and the samples are on the way to my house. Looking to have them on Wednesday. He accepted to do a test order of 50 pcs after the sample check. The product has 3 variations so a total of 150 pcs. I think that is a number that will tell me if the product is worth it or not.

The price of the product was ok. I paid double the price for the sample but it is much better than some suppliers asked me, like 200 dollars for 2 samples, for a product price of 2-4$. I remembered when @biophase was saying that there are suppliers that make money only with samples so I refused to pay that amount
The supplier that I bought the samples from said that the price will be deducted when I place an order so that is a good sign.

The air shipping price was 85$. I think that it's a lot but I do not know if those are the prices now. Maybe is someone who imported recently, and can tell me if this price is ok?

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
We closed the 2021 Year with 34K in Sales!

Clearly you're good at this.

I started writing on Medium after I read @monnffffiiiiiii's post. My goal is to bring more money to the business. Made 0.09 $. My next goal is to make 1$.

Why would you start writing online since you have such an extensive experience in e-commerce?

It's a completely different business.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Clearly you're good at this.

Why would you start writing online since you have such an extensive experience in e-commerce?

It's a completely different business.
I started writing with the goal of bringing money into my business to have for testing products. That was the only reason. If I can make an additional 500$, well I can test a lot more and a lot faster.

Update

I have received the samples and I like them a lot. Next week I want to place the order test.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
I started writing with the goal of bringing money into my business to have for testing products. That was the only reason. If I can make an additional 500$, well I can test a lot more and a lot faster.

Update

I have received the samples and I like them a lot. Next week I want to place the order test.
The fastest way I have seen people earning money is to become a free-tour guide.

I used to work with such a businesses for a long time, I can tell you what I know about it if you're interested.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
The fastest way I have seen people earning money is to become a free-tour guide.

I used to work with such a businesses for a long time, I can tell you what I know about it if you're interested.
Thanks @monnffffiiiiiii for your help. I do have a job and also working on my business. I have a salary from my job and my wife has a small salary from our company. My plan was to be able to pay her salary (500$) from writing articles on Medium and use the money from our business to test more products. That is why I started to write there. I thought that I can manage to write 3-4 articles per week and make that 500$. I do not know that I can make that with 3 articles, but I had to try, to get that idea out of my head.

Update:

Placed a test order of 150 products (3 variations).

I am excited and started to make the plans for the ads when the product will arrive. As soon as I receive them, the plan is to be ready with description, creatives and go.

Sales this month: 1400$.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Wow, time flies so fast.

So, a short recap of my journey.

In 2020 launched a POD business in my country, doing the products myself and my wife.

In 2022 we managed to hire my wife (minimum salary) while I was on newborn care holiday (2 years). So we both took care of our 2 little kids while trying to expand the business. Our sales stayed the same with only two products ( 24k $/year).

In 2023 sales dropped and the minimum salary increased (by the law) so at the end of the year we still managed to have ~ 24k $ sales (actually we were -2% compared to 2022) but we were on - 2000$. So that was a bad year, we lost money.

In 2023 we brought 2 products (one personalized, sold a few, but very rare) and one normal product from the same niche. Was very excited about the product that I found and thought I would sell a lot. Order 3 variations (50 pcs each for test order) and now they stay in my house in a box, a totally failed product. Apparently, although people in US were buying this product, in my country they don't give a sh*t about this product. So these 2 products failed. big.

So, fast forward to today's stats and news:

1. January was the worst month regarding sales since we opened in 2020.
2. Two years have passed and now I must return to my job, which I hate. But we need the money to take care of the family so I must come back and do my job.
3. Me and my wife decided to fire her and all the money that we make from business to start testing new products because the sales are dropping and our only chance is to test normal products (not personalized) with the little money that we make. I feel very bad about this step.

I feel like I failed, I thought that in these 2 years we will manage to make this business work and escape the need to go back to that shit job. The thought that I will not be every day with my kids kills me. I will not be able to take my little girl to kindergarten anymore because I will be at my job.

Optimistic news:

I have found a product that I want to test (samples are on the way, I hope that on Monday I will get them).
My plan is to test products from the niches where I have sold personalized products because I have a list of clients.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.