The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

UPC Codes

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
if you want a "true" UPC code, you need to go through GS1.

Simply Barcodes get their numbers from GS1, so I guess they just bulk buy UPCs from GS1 and resell.

from their FAQ:
All of our codes originate with the governing body, GS1 and never previously used.

the $1.29 ones seems to be only generating UPC format barcode, but not assigning a ture UPC unique number, you cna print a UPC format barcode for free! but it's useless.

I would ask Simply Barcode if you can register with GS1 later if needed but I'm sur eyou can since they get their numbers form GS1 themselves... this would allows you to keep the same UPC forever.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Does anyone know the right way to obtain a UPC code? I was doing some research and I found that you can join GS1 for a first time fee of $750 then an annual maintenance fee of $150+ .

Then I found a website called simply barcodes that sells Official UPC codes for $89 and no maintenance fees.

Then there are companies that sell UPC codes that they claim are authentic for a ridiculously low price of $1.29.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know that to get your product into large retailers you need to be registered with GS1.

I'm not sure if I need to do this right away or if I can get a cheaper UPC to get the ball rolling and then change it at a later date when we're ready to approach large retailers with our product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.