The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

UPC Code/ GTIN Code?

lambo2021

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 3, 2019
So i'm fairly new to eCommerce, the past few weeks I've ordered a product from Overseas and it has just arrived. I am wondering now how can I get a GTIN/UPC code for this product??
Does anyone have any advice on this? Or are there any guides?

Specifically the GTIN/UPC code, how can I register my product? Or are there any work arounds to this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

John F.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Aug 29, 2018
Arizona
You will need a GS1 UPC bar code for Amazon. I just went through this process myself. Here is the US link. Others can be found by a simple search.

GS1 US - The Global Language of Business

Be ready to shell out a few bucks. You have to purchase a company prefix. $250 for a company prefix that will allow you to have 10 different bar codes. Next level is $750 for up to 100 bar codes. It goes higher than that if needed, too.

Once that is complete, you will be able to create your own bar codes for your products. They have some decent instructions on how to do it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BarCodesTalk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 19, 2019
There's only two ways to get a legal UPC/EAN barcode, you either rent it from GS1 like John F. said or you can go the ownership route since GS1 had a major class action lawsuit (in the USA) back in 2002.

It really depends on which store is asking for the UPC/GTIN-12. If it's one of the one's listed here: Support : Bar Codes Talk - If I have a Bar Code Will it Work in All Stores? you'll likely need to rent from GS1 directly. Otherwise you can own your own barcode for a one time purchase price.

Most stores don't care, but some as you can see there, are literally in business with GS1 and force you to rent from GS1.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.