The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unscripted - do as I say, not do.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Tanisha

Bronze Contributor
Jun 16, 2017
sacramento
THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY, this man made no more than $14,000 a year and some guy comes up to him and said i'll make you rich, and he's like how i only work at ups make $14 grand, he replys invest 20% of your income and he did he eventually ended up with $70,000,000 at 90 freaking years old, Tony Robbins should know better he's telling us the slow lane when he charges at least $10,000 for 1 of his seminars, and the sad thing is millions are buying his book

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VHjX1CdNmk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kubaoo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 18, 2017
Poland, Europe
He's not the only one who gives this kind of advices. People must think more by their own what is better for them.
On the other hand his book is named "unshakable". Keep in mind that there are introvertics in the society riding on slowlane which think and are confident that they simply don't want do a business because they are too shy or want to, in their opinion, have peace, so these advices for them are kinda not that bad

Summarizing: people must think by their own what's good for them in any case

Greets

Aardvark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
May 16, 2017
England
I've always been a big fan of Tony Robbins and his stuff helped me through a particularly bad time but his recent stuff just screams of the paradox of practice. Did you know that he's on the board for the wealth management company he endorses?

Good job we've read Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted so we can see the smoke and mirrors.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
His advice isn't aimed at fastlaners, he's trying to help the masses, people like our friends, and family.

The advice he gives sure beats spending 100% of what you earn each month on consuming like a large majority of people do.

It's like you being in fitness model physical shape, and then seeing the following advice:

Take a 20 minute walk, 3 times a week. Your body and mind will love you for it!

Great advice... but not for you.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ah another Wizard of Oz...

Paradox of Practice
: The advocation of a particular wealth strategy that you neither use, nor is responsible for your own wealth -- and yet, advancing the hypocrisy makes you wealthier.

G

GuestUser450

Wonder why he still takes this route - does it even work for him any more?

I get that it's the top of his funnel, but who's still buying it? It's a mass market book without a mass market.

Boomers his age are looking to survive retirement, not value invest - they've also heard it all before (especially from Tony), it's not novelty.

Middle aged X'ers have deaf ears for long-term investing because they've been inundated with stories of exponential gains (for the worse). They're looking for hail marys so they don't end up like their parents.

Most everyone else on down who have the means to invest are savvy enough to ignore it.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
A couple observations.

First, I think Robbins did save a good percentage of his income to get where he is. It works slowly if you save 10% of a small check and it works faster if you save 20% of a seven figure a year income. The more you make and the more of it you stash, the faster you get a nut that can pay you. Yes, he makes a ton. Yes, he charges handsomely for his services. As best as I recall from what I've read, he advises the same.

Huge income only creates wealth if you hang onto some of it. Look at washed up entertainers who made fortunes and squandered them. I don't think Robbins advocates getting and keeping the lowest possible pay so that a small fraction might magically turn into a fortune. As I understand it, he advocates saving a piece of whatever you make, find ways to make more, save more of that, and so on.

Last and most important observation. Too many, maybe even most Americans today are arguably not even on the slow lane. They are driving in reverse in an underground parking garage. They save nothing, abuse credit and generally behave like the obnoxious child characters in a "Willy Wonka" movie. The unwashed masses need to stash some cash. They need to blow less money on stupid crap. They need to invest. If they have what it takes to start a business, great, invest in that. Maybe real estate is for them. Maybe not. Maybe they should just stuff it into index funds like Warren Buffett says. In short, they need Tony Robbins advice. Start saving now. Harness the power of compounding. Increase your earnings and savings wherever you can. Plan, execute, re evaluate and adjust the plan as you go. Really, not bad advice.

It's not "do as I say, not as I do" if he did in fact save a percentage as he was on his way up. He made and makes as much as he can, saves as much of it as he can, and advises you do the same.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
A lot of business people preach lies simply because it is necessary to keep enslaving people with misinformation so they can build financial wealth and as long as they can convince the sleeping masses with their advice that's what matters to them.

Many of them do not like sharing their true stories about wealth, not necessarily because they are afraid someone may come along and do their 'type of business' better, but mostly because they believe that financial abundance belongs only to them and no one else.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
First, I think Robbins did save a good percentage of his income to get where he is.

This really isn't about saving. It's about wealth created from a Fastlane metric.

Of course Tony saved a lot of money.

This is about the difference between saving $10/month from your $1,900 paycheck and thinking that somehow, someday, it will make you rich, and the difference between saving $750,000 last month because you just concluded a seminar that generated $4.5M for your company.

One creates independently wealthy individuals, the other creates slaves to Wall Street.

I wish Tony had stuck to his bread and butter, psychology and seminars, instead of this duplicitous BS.

uupro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 21, 2017
Colorado
I read Tony's "Awaken The Giant Within You" and I think it was a great read. This book particularly does not give business advice but will help you find who you are. It teaches us self-awareness. A lot of people who read Fastlane know this is the route they want to take but there's many different options. Awaken The Giant will help you do a 360 around your life by asking yourself the right questions and analyzing who you really are. Will be especially effective AFTER readying the Fastlane.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Slowlane advice isn't bad. The Slowlane (aka the SCRIPT) is bad as a life plan.

Saving 20% of your income and investing a large portion of that 20% is an excellent thing to do. It's smart because it instills financial discipline. It's smart because it allows for a retirement money system that allows you to never work another day in your life.

It's not a smart thing to rely on. It's predicated on hope and time. It has you living a shit life for a pie in the sky. (And if you think entrepreneurship is the same way, do something else. The Fastlane/UNSCRIPTED life is about living a life you love while you work toward your goals.)

Tony knows better (dude's probably got a 9 figure net worth). But he wants to keep making that money.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
From what I make of it, (I have read Master The Game before) he decided to consult the "experts" he found. It was a strategy that he used in his early days : consult and model those who already know how to do what he wanted to learn, aka NLP modelling.

I'm still a fan of Tony for his books and tapes. He was instrumental to my early development.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have a hard time criticizing Robbins, because I know that he has helped hundreds of thousands of people.

Just this last week, my son was in a trying, stressful situation. I reached out to a friend here on the forum, who recommended Robbins' Hour of Power audio series.

Before I sent it to him, I listened to it. And it was solid. That is just one hour of thousands of hours of materials that Robbins has recorded for those who find him.

MJ and I are personal friends, and I consider his entrepreneurial advice as literally best in class. However, I could find something MJ and I disagree on, and then we could parse it and spin it and debate it. However, that wouldn't negate MJ's entire body of work. En total, the reason I wouldn't do that is I am not looking for a reason to discredit someone who doesn't need nor deserve discrediting. MJ's life work is life changing.

So is Tony Robbins.

If you don't want to listen to his stuff, don't. Life is too short.

However, I can tell you that Robbins has done more to positively impact people's lives than most of us (myself included, but excluding MJ specifically) will ever accomplish.

He sets people free. Do I agree with everything he says? No. Do I agree with everything ANYBODY says? No. Not even ::gasp:: @MidwestLandlord . You don't have to.

All I can tell you is that in certain situations, certain aspects of Robbins theories have been beneficial to me. @LightHouse was admonishing me last week to let things go that don't move me closer to my goals... to not get hung up on the minutia of details that simply don't matter. He was paraphrasing one of his takeaways from a recent Robbins seminar he attended. It was beneficial to me.

Take the good. Discard the bad. Roll on, and move closer to your goals.

Your OP was a great example of what @LightHouse was teaching me last week. For a Tony Robbins video to make you angry... let it go. If it doesn't move you closer to where you want to be, don't let it affect you in any way. Like water off a duck... take the good, discard the bad, and roll on. The video in the OP has exactly zero bearing on my life. It shouldn't on yours either.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I read Tony's "Awaken The Giant Within You" and I think it was a great read. This book particularly does not give business advice but will help you find who you are. It teaches us self-awareness. A lot of people who read Fastlane know this is the route they want to take but there's many different options. Awaken The Giant will help you do a 360 around your life by asking yourself the right questions and analyzing who you really are. Will be especially effective AFTER readying the Fastlane.

...and this is understood because this is how he built his multi-million dollar business, by actually "changing" people's lives for the better. He created a value-centred business as he proceeded to change people's lives for the better as a Life/Spiritual Coach; however, he's now giving common financial advice in his new book, neither of which got him rich, nor was it what we knew him for; I'm not saying that people can't change lanes, but, the advice is the common advice EVERYONE else gives and they rely on the sales of these books to further their empires' wealth than to actually educate people.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
It's not a smart thing to rely on. It's predicated on hope and time. It has you living a shit life for a pie in the sky. (And if you think entrepreneurship is the same way, do something else. The Fastlane/UNSCRIPTED life is about living a life you love while you work toward your goals.)

Tony knows better (dude's probably got a 9 figure net worth). But he wants to keep making that money.

...and the timing for such is just perfect, we're living in a time where Society is actually telling us to be "Your Own Boss" because of the drive of the marketminds to ditch jobs and build businesses.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.