The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Uninstalled every other game, can't quit Counter-Strike

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Aight I had the nerve to delete all games on steam except CSGO. I can't believe I wasted 4000 hours (only 500 were worth because of friends) on this game. I love this game but I spent most of the time playing it alone. I used to no life 12 hours every day. It's a lot better today, about 2 to 3 hours playing two or three matches. I still remember back in May 2019 I played this game, and I still have so many memories with friends online to this day. After reading @RHL's post I deleted all my games but I can't press the uninstall button of Counter-Strike.

I know if I get rid of Counter Strike I'd be happy but I can't, too scary to live without it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

strobe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Aight I had the nerve to delete all games on steam except CSGO. I can't believe I wasted 4000 hours (only 500 were worth because of friends) on this game. I love this game but I spent most of the time playing it alone. I used to no life 12 hours every day. It's a lot better today, about 2 to 3 hours playing two or three matches. I still remember back in May 2019 I played this game, and I still have so many memories with friends online to this day. After reading @RHL's post I deleted all my games but I can't press the uninstall button of Counter-Strike.

I know if I get rid of Counter Strike I'd be happy but I can't, too scary to live without it.

Its alright to play if you can get all your other things done in a day, like work, going to the gym, eating healthy etc. If not then delete the game, come back to it when you are rich and ripped.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
2 hours isn't too bad, as long as you are working hard the rest of the day I think it would be grand.

But if you think you should then you should delete it.
If you feel you can't delete it, get someone you trust to go on your PC and do it.
If they don't live nearby, setup TeamViewer and get someone you trust to remotely access your PC and uninstall it.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Don't uninstall it. Have it on PC and focus on work.

If you're too exhausted from work and need some
entertainment, pop CS for hour or two.

I have Brawhalla installed as only game on my setup.
In last quarter i played it maybe twice.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
This was me about three weeks ago. I was tired of myself playing video games.
I've sold my video card, RAM memory and both screens.

Now I'm "stuck" with my Macbook, and I f*cking love it. Never felt the urge to start gaming (after gaming +15y for many many many hours). If you're actually done with playing videogames, get rid of the PC.

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
From my experience it’s very hard to quit something by removing it from your life, I think it’s way better to replace it with something you care about more.

Find a deep meaning and purpose to start a business. If you have a job that should be enough.

If you are stuck with your life, change your environment. NOTABLE! - Stuck? Change Your Environment!

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I had this problem with league of legends for a while. It is easier said than done but you just need to quit cold turkey and put as many barriers up as possible.

I sold my league account, uninstalled the game, used a website-blocker and set-up a random password for it. I have no clue what the code is and can't recover it since it's connected to a burner email with no recovery details and another random password.

Like @SEOguy said, I then got Chromebook for work (mac works too). That thing can't download/run games.

Finally, I consciously stay away from any content related to the game. Similar to how a former alcoholic may stay away from bars, I no longer go to sites like Twitch.

Even with all of this, the first month was hard but it has since become smooth sailing.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The Mac comments are funny.

I have never owned a PC but I tried to instal a flight simulator on a Mac recently.
It felt like I was trying to kill it.

I guess owning a Mac is a natural game blocker lol.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
I think it’s okay to play once in a while for an hour or 2. I play sometimes with my xbox but usually no more than 2 hours. I still work on my business projects, go to the gym often, eat healthy and sleep well. Sometimes I go weeks or months without playing, but now and then I like to play something and think about something else.

D

Deleted78083

You can't play CS on a mcbook?

I guess you can but it will look horrible.

I googled it and learned that mac aren't designed to play games cuz the processor and graphic card aren't as good as for PCs.

And yet, they're much more expensive.

Why the hell do people buy mac then?

The keyboard?

Last edited by a moderator:

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I googled it and learned that mac aren't designed to play games cuz the processor and graphic card aren't as good as for PCs.

The keyboard?
Apple.

It used to be that Macs were the go-to for design stuff. But Windows software very much reached Apple's. Still, people will tell you Apple products are better for it.

Apple are also considered better for sound engineering work (go to any DJ set and you'll exclusively see Macs). Again, I think Windows has caught up by now, but it's hard to overcome beliefs radically ingrained in people's heads.

D

Deleted78083

Apple.

It used to be that Macs were the go-to for design stuff. But Windows software very much reached Apple's. Still, people will tell you Apple products are better for it.

Apple are also considered better for sound engineering work (go to any DJ set and you'll exclusively see Macs). Again, I think Windows has caught up by now, but it's hard to overcome beliefs radically ingrained in people's heads.
This is weird cuz so many softwares are available on both windows and mac now.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
This is weird cuz so many softwares are available on both windows and mac now.

Yeah it's more about "we've always done things this way" at this point. Tradition.

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018

Turn your gaming rig into a crypto miner. Should be an easy choice between CS or generating a few more dogecoin lol.

At the same time, get a Mac for your business.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
You are going to need to fill that space with someone else productive or something else potentially harmful will consume your life the way video games did.

When I am busy I have 0 thought to ever play video games. I like to play some PUBG every now and then with a buddy who lives in another city, but it is about one night every 3-4 weeks I get around to doing this now.

If you want to be busy go have some kids lol. They will keep you busy. It doesn't matter what you have going on or what you need to do, they always come first.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX

I feel that man, I had the same impulse as you to delete everything once or twice when I realized that my video game habit had the characteristics of an addiction.

There are some people that need to go cold turkey, but the problem with that is that if you slip up just once and play a game even if it's not counter strike. You end up falling into the same trap and more than likely you will be back playing but even more so this time. At least this is how it went with me.

It seems to me like you are managing ok right now but it could be a bit better in regards to time. There is a misconception that you need to be productive every second of every day to become successful. Though somedays this may be the case. I don't know of anybody personally who can work 24/7 and still remain productive and happy. Rest is important and video games can really help with that.

What I have found works for me is when you are learning to moderate with video games, buy a game where the matches only last about ten minutes or so, and play 3-4 matches before you go to bed every night. It feels like you are actually playing longer than you are and I have found it to be a good substitute.

That being said, if you feel like you really cannot control how long you play then there may be a need to quit and substitute with some other activities for a while to give you a reason to not play video games. Right now your default sounds like it's in the game so make your default 2-3 other activities. For me it's guitar and learning to code, this fills up most of my time after my slow lane gig, and the coding doubles as progress towards the Fastlane. I find both of them to be extraordinarily fulfilling. With those two things video games, which once were my entire world, are now only a small part of it. Just like anything you do habitually. You need a really good reason to stop, sometimes just willpower alone won't cut it.

best of luck

Last edited:

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
I have the same problem with Warcraft 3. It's not just about the time you spend on it, it screws your dopamine and energy in general. And makes me salty, lol (not surprised on a game where you lose 50% of the time and it's so competitive). I used to play Zelda for an hour a week, or every two weeks. But once I installed this game, things went out of control and I would play daily, often more than "just one game or two" as planned (this is the alarm bell).

I said enough and uninstalled that stupid game on Saturday (let's see if this time I don't reinstall it as I did a few months ago...). I spent the rest of the weekend doing housework, updating my blog, and researching about crypto and Machine Learning; things that I wasn't working on recently that much. Magic? None. Just remove the obsession for some time-waster, and you'll get your restless brain to look for something else, which hopefully will be more useful.

I still played for 30 minutes on Sun night some (offline) silly game on the Switch, and it was overall a happier weekend than thinking you've wasted the entire weekend playing with other noobs.

The moral is: you can still play games and it's even healthy for you if that's what you like, but avoid this kind of competitive, absorbing games at all costs. Rather install some mobile game you can play for 30 minutes a day and let your brain focus on more important stuff.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I have the same problem with Warcraft 3. It's not just about the time you spend on it, it screws your dopamine and energy in general. And makes me salty, lol (not surprised on a game where you lose 50% of the time and it's so competitive). I used to play Zelda for an hour a week, or every two weeks. But once I installed this game, things went out of control and I would play daily, often more than "just one game or two" as planned (this is the alarm bell).

I said enough and uninstalled that stupid game on Saturday (let's see if this time I don't reinstall it as I did a few months ago...). I spent the rest of the weekend doing housework, updating my blog, and researching about crypto and Machine Learning; things that I wasn't working on recently that much. Magic? None. Just remove the obsession for some time-waster, and you'll get your restless brain to look for something else, which hopefully will be more useful.

I still played for 30 minutes on Sun night some (offline) silly game on the Switch, and it was overall a happier weekend than thinking you've wasted the entire weekend playing with other noobs.

The moral is: you can still play games and it's even healthy for you if that's what you like, but avoid this kind of competitive, absorbing games at all costs. Rather install some mobile game you can play for 30 minutes a day and let your brain focus on more important stuff.
You stole my words man! This is what gets me. I lose a game to some guy with an edgy pic and I start getting tilted. The more I play the more salty I get. This doesn't stop with competitive games like CS. Guess should had stuck to Vice City.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

The keyboard?
Looks like you're the part of PC master race lol

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
I had the same situation as you, but not with the counter strike but with city-building games and I forced myself to uninstall all of the games.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I had the same situation as you, but not with the counter strike but with city-building games and I forced myself to uninstall all of the games.
I am not addicted to counter strike anymore. I stay away from competitive games and mostly play offline maps with chill music. That way I enjoy myself playing it

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

I've concluded one thing for sure. Competitive games will never make you happy. If I play CSGO now, I play offline maps with chill music and I enjoy those 30 mins very much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.