The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Underemployed Dropout That Never Quite Fit In (Did I Mention That I Was Diagnosed with MS?)...And Even More Fun

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
So....I was raised in that "sidewalk" lifestyle discussed in Fastlane. Growing up with welfare and government cheese, I hungered for the middle class life, so I studied and got grades so I could get into college. Yet, something always tried to steer me from that path. The money order I saved to go to FSU, I ended up trying to cash it for gas money.

I went to community college...which actually was cheap and went straight through....but it was a general degree (Associates with some Education credits)

I decided to try the "four year" college degree again....I got to the last semster and ran out of financial aid and had to work two part-time jobs (which had both cut an hour from me).

I thought maybe a bit city like Atlanta would appreciate a dude with 120 credits (out of 125)....Not really. I ended up depressed, tried to commit suicide, applying to Mcdonald's (then skipping when they called)...and discovering a thing called freelancing and the gig economy

The only thing was, I approached gigs and freelancing like an employee, not business. I eventually got tired of doing surveys, chasing clients, etc....so I went back to "real work"....I ended up working in retail as a receiver

I did that and was laid off a total of 3 times (This was during COVID)

It was also at this time that I started to develop symptoms of multiple sclerosis. I knew I had to do something, so I visualized a new career, got 2 certificates, and bought the computer for a remote from home job.

I did remote work for the last two years...and then I was laid off again in January

I have since been rehired, but I've always been a person who would read LOTS of entrepreneurial books and had good ideas but never followed through.

This time, however, something is a little different....My diagnosis was refined to Progressive MS, so it's supposed to get worse.....and this is causing my mind to make a major shift. I can't continue the games of "I'll just make things up and somehow be an entrepreneur". I have to get a plan in place soon while I am able to move and think OK because even if I do end up in a facility, I don't want mt story to be "Well, that was sad."...I want it to be "He kicked a** and set up a foundation for the next generation to do the same."

And then I read Fastlane...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bing

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Aug 5, 2011
I'm sorry to hear about your medical diagnosis, but don't let stop you from living your life. Regardless if you have 60 years left, or 6 months, we all are on a clock. Spend your time wisely, it's all we have.

That said, if you want to go Fastlane, I hope you understood the book's point that this is an exponential curve, not a logarithmic one. You don't make $1m in year one, you make it year six with the previous five at $10k/year (obviously these numbers are all made-up, but they are examples of "you can get rich fast or easy, pick one" where "easy" means 40 years of savings).

This is not a "get rich quick" forum. I'm not saying you can't do it (if you can provide tons of VALUE to EVERYONE tomorrow, you might do it!), but most of what you'll find here is more grounded.

heavy_industry

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2022
This is not medical advice, but some people have managed to reverse MS through the carnivore diet (and other elimination diets). This might work because MS is fundamentally an autoimmune disease.

The fact that you went through debilitating depression might be a sign of chronic systemic inflammation, and perhaps the depression and MS are both symptoms of the same underlying condition.

Again, this is not medical advice, but I would really suggest looking into it, because this diet saved lives.

I really hope that you will improve all areas of your life, prioritizing health (physical and mental).
Best of luck, and keep us updated on your progress!

we all are on a clock. Spend your time wisely, it's all we have.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2021
I really hope that you will improve all areas of your life, prioritizing health (physical and mental).
+1 on this. Seems like your physical and consequentially your mental health are at a level which can be debilitating for starting a business.
So focus on those first ! Without health there isn't much you can do.

Then reading the GOLD posts will cause some great mindset shifts.

Jokes on you... I worked at McDonald's. And got laid off. So don't feel so bad about not being able to get a job. (Even though it seems you are not so underemployed, if you managed to freelance and go remote. You can probably do it again then)
I know I felt very bad about it for a long a$$ time... but we can change, and now I am much more "employable" than before.
Again mental health played a huge role.

Best of luck !

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Zeta

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Nov 17, 2019
Sweden
I'm also sorry to read about your medical diagnosis! I think you should prioritize your health first of all!!

Like other fastlaners mentioned here, there are people that have managed to reverse MS through diet.

One that manage to reverse here’s MS is Dr. Terry Wahls.
Now she shares her knowledge with others with MS, maybe you will find good info in her book and site.

Best of luck!

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
I'm sorry to hear about your medical diagnosis, but don't let stop you from living your life. Regardless if you have 60 years left, or 6 months, we all are on a clock. Spend your time wisely, it's all we have.

That said, if you want to go Fastlane, I hope you understood the book's point that this is an exponential curve, not a logarithmic one. You don't make $1m in year one, you make it year six with the previous five at $10k/year (obviously these numbers are all made-up, but they are examples of "you can get rich fast or easy, pick one" where "easy" means 40 years of savings).

This is not a "get rich quick" forum. I'm not saying you can't do it (if you can provide tons of VALUE to EVERYONE tomorrow, you might do it!), but most of what you'll find here is more grounded.
Thank you! I am not looking for a "get rich" scheme... I've gone through many of them and just have gone tired of the "free webinar" situation and constantly switching. I didn't spend a lot of money, but I did spend a lot of TIME going through the whole "get ricj quick guru" circle and came out with nothing...

Fastlane, with its very colorful language, helped me see how futile that system was.

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
This is not medical advice, but some people have managed to reverse MS through the carnivore diet (and other elimination diets). This might work because MS is fundamentally an autoimmune disease.

The fact that you went through debilitating depression might be a sign of chronic systemic inflammation, and perhaps the depression and MS are both symptoms of the same underlying condition.

Again, this is not medical advice, but I would really suggest looking into it, because this diet saved lives.

I will agree with you. I grew up on the lower income, highly processed food for ALL of my life. I had some periods where I tried to eat "healthy' but it was basically getting protein shakes and getting bored with eating chicken breasts because I'm not really a cook.

I also was Crohn's disease in middle school...probably from the years of junk food, processed food, and milk (Both my mom and the US Department of Education believed I need to chug down milk despite feeling crap after)

So...it's most definitely related to autoimmne

I have looked into elimination diets as well...Currently, I am SLOWLY following the advice of a bulking coach (offered to give some advice when I mentioned my MS story) who advised me to first just focus on eating noncrappy food on a regular basis and to pay attention to how my body reacts. That is the best advice from anyone "medical" because when I was diagnosed, there was no in-depth questions about diet...They were like "OK, let's figure this out. You have Progressive MS...let's start you on treatment."

I Googled answers and saw that more than a few people with MS had switched to Carnivore or keto...so I completely agree with what you are saying

Regardless of what happens, I do know that eating less crappy food is definitely a good idea.

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
I'm also sorry to read about your medical diagnosis! I think you should prioritize your health first of all!!

Like other fastlaners mentioned here, there are people that have managed to reverse MS through diet.

One that manage to reverse here’s MS is Dr. Terry Wahls.
Now she shares her knowledge with others with MS, maybe you will find good info in her book and site.

Best of luck!
Have the book...I agree with the idea that eating less processed food is the KEY vs just taking medication

Implementing the diet might be a little expensive, but I like the principles behind it

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
+1 on this. Seems like your physical and consequentially your mental health are at a level which can be debilitating for starting a business.
So focus on those first ! Without health there isn't much you can do.

Then reading the GOLD posts will cause some great mindset shifts.

Jokes on you... I worked at McDonald's. And got laid off. So don't feel so bad about not being able to get a job. (Even though it seems you are not so underemployed, if you managed to freelance and go remote. You can probably do it again then)
I know I felt very bad about it for a long a$$ time... but we can change, and now I am much more "employable" than before.
Again mental health played a huge role.

Best of luck !
Yes, I'm slowly unraveling the "script" that "I grew up poor so that means I should only eat crappy, processed food that helps the food companies (like McDonald's, Burger King) make profits while my body is suffering...

I am SLOWLY eating more unprocessed food on a regular basis and have an accountability partner along with a boxing app & human guide....so we'll see how all of this shapes up.

Also tai chi and meditation...

But, I digress. I was actually as a call center rep for 2 companies....but it's definitely underemployment...and I'm just getting tired of the "job" process: the recruiters, the assessments, the Application Tracking Systems, the interviews, the lies about "workplace culture" and "flexibility: when I know they are lying.

That being said, for one of the jobs, I have NOT received the computer yet...after 2 weeks

What makes job searching a little more difficult is that I walk with a cane and can't just jump and do whatever job I could (like I used to)....I have to do remote now only...and keep getting funneled into call center work, which I am not thrilled to join, but will do

I've been a freelance, but it was "struggle" freelancing, not freelancing. I just started doing surveys and Upwork and survived from there. I do not want to do that route again. It might be OK for a extra cash doing something I like, but I want to do "grown up freelancing"

Hence "fastlane:

heavy_industry

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2022
I will agree with you. I grew up on the lower income, highly processed food for ALL of my life. I had some periods where I tried to eat "healthy' but it was basically getting protein shakes and getting bored with eating chicken breasts because I'm not really a cook.

I also was Crohn's disease in middle school...probably from the years of junk food, processed food, and milk (Both my mom and the US Department of Education believed I need to chug down milk despite feeling crap after)

So...it's most definitely related to autoimmne

I have looked into elimination diets as well...Currently, I am SLOWLY following the advice of a bulking coach (offered to give some advice when I mentioned my MS story) who advised me to first just focus on eating noncrappy food on a regular basis and to pay attention to how my body reacts. That is the best advice from anyone "medical" because when I was diagnosed, there was no in-depth questions about diet...They were like "OK, let's figure this out. You have Progressive MS...let's start you on treatment."

I Googled answers and saw that more than a few people with MS had switched to Carnivore or keto...so I completely agree with what you are saying

Regardless of what happens, I do know that eating less crappy food is definitely a good idea.
Then it's most definitely diet related.

Not medical advice, but I would hop on clean keto as soon as possible, and after 3 months of adaptation I would switch to carnivore. Then would do carnivore for another few months and observe the improvements.
From there I would start adding back foods one by one, and see if any bad symptoms arise from re-introducing said food items.

Giving up food that makes you ill is very hard, since most of it is highly addictive (by design).
But if your health and/or life is on the line, perhaps it's time to throw away all the "food" in the trash can.

EmotionEngine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Sep 15, 2020
United States

I agree with this.

Not medical advice as well, but I'd do research on Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. McDougall, and Dr. Neal Barnard on YouTube.
MJ's bookshelf also has a book recommendation: "The China Study" which Dr. T. Colin Campbell wrote.

The future is in your hands.

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
Then it's most definitely diet related.

Not medical advice, but I would hop on clean keto as soon as possible, and after 3 months of adaptation I would switch to carnivore. Then would do carnivore for another few months and observe the improvements.
From there I would start adding back foods one by one, and see if any bad symptoms arise from re-introducing said food items.

Giving up food that makes you ill is very hard, since most of it is highly addictive (by design).
But if your health and/or life is on the line, perhaps it's time to throw away all the "food" in the trash can.
Thank you for your insight...and soulds like a plan.

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
I agree with this.

Not medical advice as well, but I'd do research on Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. McDougall, and Dr. Neal Barnard on YouTube.
MJ's bookshelf also has a book recommendation: "The China Study" which Dr. T. Colin Campbell wrote.

The future is in your hands.
Guess I got homework!

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
Thank you all for giving insight, advice, and wisdom to my desperate (and dang, it was desperate!) cry for help...but it was also an expression of where I was in life.....and where I will still be if I keep taking the "blue pill"

What I am realizing today is that having MS is not an excuse for taking the "blue pill".

That being said, I see that my priority must be health...and not in the modern, everyday use of that term for people with MS, meaning "Eating crappy, processed food not exercising while getting medicated and living on disability" U say this with respect because I know of some people from Facebook who live that way.

While I don't control how this disease will progress, I can choose what I do while I can do it.

Health
I am now doing a couple of things: Planning meals so I don't have to forage around and end up eating unhealthy food, learning to cook (This will be a work in progress), and learning to meal prep. In addition, I have to be more honest with myself about tracking the food I actual;y eat vs describing the food I should eat. These were not skills I learned growing up, I delegated that to fast food companies and junk food.

I will be following a Paleo/keto scenario (Meat, 2-3 servings vegetables, 2-3 servings carb, fruit or two in the morning,.. Nuts plus smoothies) and tracking my body's reactions as well as detailing my failures and mishaps on social media.

I will continue shadowboxing, qigong, and walking.

Finances (Wealth/Legacy)
I now realize that I said I wanted to be an "entrepreneur" without actually considering what that meany. An entrepreneur generates income...Here I was (for most of my working life that I decided I wanted to be an entrepreneur) not accepting jobs (like McDonalds or whatever) because "I was better than that." At the same time, for the jobs I did take, I did not even save or invest anything for a business...because I didn't even know what kind of "business" that I wanted. I just kept chasing what others said is a "good business opportunity"

Figuring out what business I want to focus (single business) is my next adventure.

Being an entrepreneur is important because I don't know how many working years I have left. I might have 20-30 ...or I might have 5...Either way, I wanted to get out of the rat race, so MS should be as much as a motivator as anything to do it. I also wanted to teach my nieces and nephews that they can get out of the "rat race" if they wanted to...I was never taught that option.

Still working on the other section...I kinda want like a mantra to keep me inspired to continue on my goals (Health, Wealth...and something else)

heavy_industry

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2022
And for the diet, I would suggest doing only meat and salads at first. You don't know yet which foods cause your autoimmune response, so I would stay clear of nuts, since they contain many things that could be problematic.

Make sure you find a healthy way to relieve stress, since most people (myself included) will go straight to the junk food as a coping mechanism - it's programmed in our brain.

Here is an interesting story with diet and health. This girl was dying in her 20's from horrific autoimmune issues. She figured out an elimination diet, all her symptoms went away and now she's glowing with health (and beauty ;)).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39o_DI5laI&ab_channel=LowCarbDownUnder

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
And for the diet, I would suggest doing only meat and salads at first. You don't know yet which foods cause your autoimmune response, so I would stay clear of nuts, since they contain many things that could be problematic.

Make sure you find a healthy way to relieve stress, since most people (myself included) will go straight to the junk food as a coping mechanism - it's programmed in our brain.

Here is an interesting story with diet and health. This girl was dying in her 20's from horrific autoimmune issues. She figured out an elimination diet, all her symptoms went away and now she's glowing with health (and beauty ;)).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39o_DI5laI&ab_channel=LowCarbDownUnder
Thank you for sharing! I am a fan of Jordan Peterson, and I knew of the carnivore story with his story but I never watched the video.

mrchuckthetech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2022
Atlanta, GA
For the time being, I have decided to go on AIP Paleo for 30 days and see what happens. I'm not in a living situation or financial place where I can just go full carnivore...

I can already say that it won't be 100% yet. I have much to learn (I never did anything that specifically focused on the gut and immune system only tried and failed bodybuilding workouts and ignored any gut issues or acne as part of the process)

I can say that I will be eliminating junk and processed food, if nothing else.

Thank you all for your input and concern. I'm actually speechless that people thought enough of me to comment. I was just literally tired. "Unscipted" and "Millionaire Fastlane " have begun to expand my mind, so I shared a little more of my mind with the group that sparked the journey.

Thank you

I'm already scared enough....but LFG

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2021
For the time being, I have decided to go on AIP Paleo for 30 days and see what happens. I'm not in a living situation or financial place where I can just go full carnivore...

I can already say that it won't be 100% yet. I have much to learn (I never did anything that specifically focused on the gut and immune system only tried and failed bodybuilding workouts and ignored any gut issues or acne as part of the process)

I can say that I will be eliminating junk and processed food, if nothing else.

Thank you all for your input and concern. I'm actually speechless that people thought enough of me to comment. I was just literally tired. "Unscipted" and "Millionaire Fastlane " have begun to expand my mind, so I shared a little more of my mind with the group that sparked the journey.

Thank you

I'm already scared enough....but LFG
You'd be surprised how much food really influences our behavior and psychology !
Good luck with the experimentation !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore