The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Undeleted - How to break into sales & never go hungry?

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
I wrote this post and deleted it because I was embarassed but i'm putting it back up because I got called on it and made me realise that I gotta own up to it.

I don't remember the exact wording but i'll re-write it as best as I can.

My fastlane goal is licensing and invention, long-term to manufacture my own products.

But this is gonna take a while, this is a long-term thing and any revenue is not gonna show up, successful or not for months, maybe a year or more. But I got a family to feed.

I'm in a job I hate, but it pays enough to provide but I don't know how long I can put up with this.

Currently i'm looking into what else I can do and my two best possibilities may be copywriting and sales.

What i'm trying to figure out is how to get into independent sales. As a manufacturers rep or maybe sourcing suppliers and products for retailers.

I don't know much about sales, but I know there is real upside potential, maybe enough to fund my fastlane long-term.

Someone replied below to stay in my job and that's what I will do for now, even though it makes me mad, depressed, F*cking furious. But maybe those are the lashes I gotta take for now. So I will. Another one is re-writing this post when I got called out on it.

If anyone wants to discuss the topic further, let the question be:

How to break into sales? Or more specifically, telemarketing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Bad form man. You should not be deleting your posts like this after you ask for and get advice. Someone else may learn from your post even if you don't like or agree with the advice given.

Deleting posts like this will cause others to not give you future advice when requested.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Bad form man. You should not be deleting your posts like this after you ask for and get advice. Someone else may learn from your post even if you don't like or agree with the advice given.

Deleting posts like this will cause others to not give you future advice when requested.

I guess I was just embarassed man, but you're making a real good point. I'll fix it.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
I heard dealerships are always hiring. Go to a high end dealership and
try to get hired..maybe even intern for awhile to learn the skills

Cheers, that is one avenue. I have had bad experiences with car salesman and would want to do it the right way for sure. There's a lot near me too so a very strong possibility, thank you.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Do you have any assets you can sell to make extra cash? Sometimes, another job won't solve your financial problems. Sometimes, your spending habits are the reason you're here in the first place.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Do you have any assets you can sell to make extra cash? Sometimes, another job won't solve your financial problems. Sometimes, your spending habits are the reason you're here in the first place.

I've never had many assets, i've sold or am in the process of selling as much as I can. It's all listed on ebay. Always been as frugal as I can be.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
As someone that runs a telemarketing room, I can tell you that the only way to break in to phone sales is to pick up the F*cking phone and quit being a little bitch. Most people won't do that and that's why most people don't make any money.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
As someone that runs a telemarketing room, I can tell you that the only way to break in to phone sales is to pick up the F*cking phone and quit being a little bitch. Most people won't do that and that's why most people don't make any money.

How do you assess what to sell? Or find it in the first place?

Still gotta have a product to sell, currently approaching a few local web dev firms to rep for them.

Have you heard of the website Commission Crowd?

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
How do you assess what to sell? Or find it in the first place?

Still gotta have a product to sell, currently approaching a few local web dev firms to rep for them.

Your already in sales, you just don't know it. ABC, always be closing. Remember that blonde that wouldn't take her shirt off? The point is, it doesn't matter. Sales is sales. You either got it or you don't and you won't know until you jump in the pool. Like anything, you can't get shit upfront unless you sacrifice before hand.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Your already in sales, you just don't know it. ABC, always be closing. Remember that blonde that wouldn't take her shirt off? The point is, it doesn't matter. Sales is sales. You either got it or you don't and you won't know until you jump in the pool. Like anything, you can't get shit upfront unless you sacrifice before hand.

Yeah man but you still gotta have something to sell, right?

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Every business on the planet needs someone to bring in the money. Sales is universal. So choose whatever you want (quickly) but start by opening the yellow pages and cold calling for a job, that will be your first closed sale. If you can sell one thing, you can sell anything. The important part is to just get started.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Every business on the planet needs someone to bring in the money. Sales is universal. So choose whatever you want (quickly) but start by opening the yellow pages and cold calling for a job, that will be your first closed sale. If you can sell one thing, you can sell anything. The important part is to just get started.

Aight i'm pumped. Cheers mate!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
my job ..... ...... makes me mad, depressed, F*cking furious

I know you reached out for business advice - plenty of people on here to give that to you.

But what I do for my business is allow others to have a positive experience in their life, while working towards their goals.

For now, I'll just say this - take it or leave it, because this worked for me (when i used to feel the same way about my old job).... All of these emotions are controlled and caused by something internally. In my experience, it's never the job that has the negative thing attached to it...our mindset attaches the meaning.

This is why 3 people can see the same picture of a clown and one could get scared, one amused, and one doesn't care.

I'll be blunt - You are the one that is choosing to feel mad, depressed, and F*cking furious (normally I say this nicely after building rapport).... And I only say this so bluntly because I have experience releasing negative emotions like this in the matter of minutes (100% success rate so far).

If you want to not feel those emotions, regardless of what happens on the outside of you...so you can enjoy the journey as you build your business....shoot me a PM and I'll send you some youtube videos that you can use as resources. In the past, I helped others through sessions for free (and these emotions are literally released in a matter of minutes in a lot of cases)...but I just sold part of my first business and my time is full right now getting it over to the new owner....so I have no time to go through a session in the near future...so pm me if you are wanting to release those emotions and i'll send you some youtube training videos.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
I know you reached out for business advice - plenty of people on here to give that to you.

But what I do for my business is allow others to have a positive experience in their life, while working towards their goals.

For now, I'll just say this - take it or leave it, because this worked for me (when i used to feel the same way about my old job).... All of these emotions are controlled and caused by something internally. In my experience, it's never the job that has the negative thing attached to it...our mindset attaches the meaning.

This is why 3 people can see the same picture of a clown and one could get scared, one amused, and one doesn't care.

I'll be blunt - You are the one that is choosing to feel mad, depressed, and F*cking furious (normally I say this nicely after building rapport).... And I only say this so bluntly because I have experience releasing negative emotions like this in the matter of minutes (100% success rate so far).

If you want to not feel those emotions, regardless of what happens on the outside of you...so you can enjoy the journey as you build your business....shoot me a PM and I'll send you some youtube videos that you can use as resources. In the past, I helped others through sessions for free (and these emotions are literally released in a matter of minutes in a lot of cases)...but I just sold part of my first business and my time is full right now getting it over to the new owner....so I have no time to go through a session in the near future...so pm me if you are wanting to release those emotions and i'll send you some youtube training videos.

PM Sent, thank you.

Your right in that I choose to feel this way, and I could choose to feel better about it. I've spent time learning about mindfulness and the art of letting go of bad feelings. My favourite method is what I call the flush, where I envision the bad thoughts in my mind and imagine flushing them away. It works for a lot of things, but I am having trouble coping with the job. More specifically the boss.

Eager to try the videos you mentioned, thank you.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
You've gotten some golden advice and the difference between success and failure is if you take action on it rather than just consider it. I'll throw my hat into your ring as well because I've been at a place that made me feel all those emotions and I did sales for 7 years, knocking on doors and cold calling.

Your Job:
You hate your job because as it was mentioned before, you chose to feel these negative emotions. View everything as a lesson or a blessing. If you're feeling negative then it's a lesson for later. You know what the most amazing thing is about your position? You have what's called "motivational dissatisfaction" which is a huge driving force behind taking more action. What if you loved your job? That's great but you'd never try anything new or get out of your comfort zone. Being dissatisfied causes cognitive dissonance which is your mind telling you to do something about it.

Your Emotions:
As others and I have said, you're choosing these emotions. So chose something else. But I love actionable advice rather than abstract observation so here's some actionable advice.
- when you're feeling dissatisfied, demotivated, or stuck make a list of 10 things you're grateful for. Your family, your reliable car, the fact that you have running water, etc. There are always things to be grateful for and if you focus on those you'll be a happier person. Doesn't mean you'll love your job but you don't have to let your job ruin your life.
- Be introspective, write down why you're feeling your emotions and either fix them or forgive the person (in your head) that you feel causes these emotions. Here's why: feeling negative towards someone is like drinking poison yourself and hoping they die. Is someone being mean to you? That's fine, usually mean people are having a battle with something in their life and you're just getting the side effects, trust me they are more miserable than you.
- Stop watching TV, I know you're doing it, you're probably wrapped up in a drama series that you keep up with every week. That causes artificial negative emotions and doesn't help you.
- Listen to motivational podcasts or educational books, learning and growing will help you more than anything.

Sales:
- There are huge upsides because there are huge downsides.
- If you don't starve when you're learning or hit a dry patch then you're either the best salesman alive (doubtful) or you're not outside of your comfort zone.
- The hunger is what drives you to figure something out. Without the hunger for achievement or the literal hunger of starving you won't be motivated to be better.
- I've run a call center to. Dialing is the only thing that equals dollars, period.
- Decide the one thing you can do that will help everything else and do it. Repeat everyday or multiple times a day.

Get it done man and good luck!

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
You've gotten some golden advice and the difference between success and failure is if you take action on it rather than just consider it. I'll throw my hat into your ring as well because I've been at a place that made me feel all those emotions and I did sales for 7 years, knocking on doors and cold calling....

Liquidglass, thank you so much.

Your point about motivational dissatisfaction is spot on. Before landing this job I had no interest in the fast lane or even knowledge of it's possibility. But it was definitely this frustration that drove me to search for more. I knew after a few months that there was no career here, no future and no opportunities to learn, grow or expand. And I knew for sure that I no longer wanted to pursue Finance after seeing it from behind the curtains. It was all of this that led me to search and ultimately here and beyond. Spot. On.

I will try and focus on the good, my situation is not awful, I have enough money to survive, enough time to work on my fastlane, a loving partner and an adorable puppy. I have a bright future ahead and I think that I can make today all the more brighter while keeping all of this in mind. And I will remain grateful and optimistic.

It is my boss who is awful, but I think that my resentment comes from a place not so much his fault, but rather mine. My disappointment with the role, with him and with the lack of fulfillment here. I bring no value because the job is a joke. But I need to find value elsewhere, this is just a job and I will survive it til I no longer need it. A very dissatisfying stepping stone, but a step nonetheless.

You're right about the TV, but it's more for when I hit a halt in my work or am in a funk. I only follow 3 shows, and have put all others on halt until I am in a place I can slow down, a long way away from now. I still devour a book a week, but I will try more podcasts when I need to tune out, rather than TV.

For Sales, Do you think it is worth trying if it is not the end goal? Could it be something you do 2-4 days a week (including weekends)?

Hunger is something I have been lacking in life, as I've coasted along so far, and am trying to learn to cultivate it. I push myself harder, I set goals and build habits, I lift and eat better and am working towards honing my mind. But I don't know if I feel hunger the way I see it in others.

I have been writing a list of goals each day to complete, but I like your mention of focusing on the one thing you can achieve today. My goals tend to be scattered, or too general, often times just errands. It is satisfying to cross them off the list but I don't think I have spent the time to lay out a solid plan of attack. This is something I will work towards, when I have it, then I know what can be done each day to bring me closer.

Thank you so much. +repped

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well done rewriting your post and putting your hand up.

Lots of good advice in here. I'll add my thoughts...

I took a couple of AdWords jobs to reskill from I.T. and then went back contracting/freelancing, but with my new skill/service.

My priority is supporting my family, not "running a business". I have no problem flipping burgers to keep the wolf from the door. I'd just see it as part of "the rich tapestry of life" (while I chip away every evening on my side project and great escape).

"A stream with no rocks is a stream with no song."

So you don't like your boss?

Learn from it.

Can you put yourself in his shoes? What keeps him awake at night? How can you make him sleep better at night? How can you make him look good?

When I sell my digital marketing service into a business I have to think exactly this way with all my clients. I don't work for the company, I work for the person who signs the invoice.

I was talking to a business coach last year.

At one point I said: "My problem is ...". He interrupted and told me I didn't have any problems. I have running water, a roof over my head, and no-one trying to shoot me.

Nuff said.

I try not to see obstacles anyway. My mindset is in this video.

Scrap your 3 TV shows. Maybe just watch one. And then watch Gary Vaynerchuk's "DailyVee" on YouTube. Hurry though... he's prolific and up to episode 27 or something already.

As @458 says, you're already in sales. Even me writing this post is me trying to sell you on yourself and take action.

What action?

Read this post and watch the 4 videos I dropped into it.

What do you think different now?

What will you DO different now?

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Well done rewriting your post and putting your hand up.

Lots of good advice in here. I'll add my thoughts...

I took a couple of AdWords jobs to reskill from I.T. and then went back contracting/freelancing, but with my new skill/service.

My priority is supporting my family, not "running a business". I have have no problem flipping burgers to keep the wolf from the door. I'd just see it as part of "the rich tapestry of life" (while I chip away every evening on my side project and great escape).

"A stream with no rocks is a stream with no song."

So you don't like your boss?

Learn from it.

Can you put yourself in his shoes? What keeps him awake at night? How can you make him sleep better at night? How can you make him look good?

When I sell my digital marketing service into a business I have to think exactly this way with all my clients. I don't work for the company, I work for the person who signs the invoice.

I was talking to a business coach last year.

At one point I said: "My problem is ...". He interrupted and told me I didn't have any problems. I have running water, a roof over my head, and no-one trying to shoot me.

Nuff said.

I try not to see obstacles anyway. My mindset is in this video.

Scrap your 3 TV shows. Maybe just watch one. And then watch Gary Vaynerchuk's "DailyVee" on YouTube. Hurry though... he's prolific and up to episode 27 or something already.

As @458 says, you're already in sales. Even me writing this post is me trying to sell you on yourself and take action.

What action?

Read this post and watch the 4 videos I dropped into it.

What do you think different now?

What will you DO different now?

Andy, thank you for taking the time to respond, I've got a lot of respect for what you've done and what you do here. It means a lot.

I agree 100% with the family is my priority, I am not only looking at sales jobs but retail too (I, at least, have experience there). One of the things I noticed was I am actually happier working retail than in a fancy office space in the heart of the city. I am trying to keep it specific if possible to my invention fast-lane, i.e. kitchenware stores. All avenues are being explored. For now, I am (relatively) secure in my job and I will remain in it until I have something else lined up. I will not take the brash leap of faith and hope to land on my feet without having a soft landing set up.

I am unsure if I can put myself in his shoes, as it is essentially the case of an old rich man (inherited) playing at business. But I will try and shift this mindset too. Not thinking like that above sentence would be a good start, huh?

The shows are scrapped and I have put website locks on a few time-wasters.

I've also contacted by email and queued for calls a list of 30-40 web dev firms to pitch myself as a sales rep too. I want to push on with sales as I think that is an important skill to have, and one that I have lacked the need for so far. But that will be essential in the future. I have no problem on the phone, but I do have a problem closing. So I need to continue cultivating the hunger.
You are right that everything is about sales, started reading Grant Cardone's Sell or be Sold and it makes perfect sense man.

Watched and commented on the first video and am going through the 700+ pm thread now.

Thank you! I feel like i've crossed through yet another shift in consciousness tonight. Just another in the many I have had in the last 4 months, and each is another stepping stone.

Last edited:

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
If your long-term goal is to invent products of value and provide them yourself, you might consider getting a job in manufacturing as a project manager or sales engineer. These will give you some great skills to take with you.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
If your long-term goal is to invent products of value and provide them yourself, you might consider getting a job in manufacturing as a project manager or sales engineer. These will give you some great skills to take with you.

As much as I would love that, as a 23-year-old with an arts degree and a background in finance, it might be too much of a leap. Or do you think there's a way around that? The idea of being a PM had occurred to me and does seem very interesting. There's usually alot of corporate bullshit behind that too though. Which I am trying to avoid.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
You never know until you try. (But then again, there is no try, only do.)

I've seen some guys in project management and/or sales engineering that obviously had no background in the field. The barrier to entry in these jobs will vary widely from place to place.

If you want it badly enough, the guy hiring can see it. Motivation and attitude trumps education every time.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Update: Email blasted 30-40 web dev firms located in Australia, got a few rejections, mostly no response as yet (sent these on Saturday midnight-ish). Just got off a phone call with one of them and I was offered 30% commission on their affiliate program. To put that in perspective, at their lowest level packages I only need to sell 19 websites per month to make what I earn at my current job. 19 sales per month. That's it. And potentially more.

Holy F*cking shit man, I am shaking with excitement and nervousness. I am so pumped. I will continue to work the job, but I will have a lot of time off this month due to boss going on holiday, goal is minimum 100 calls per day. Going to start compiling an advertising strategy as well as a list of contacts for cold calling / emailing / physical mail.

It ain't fast-lane, but it's a huge potential step. Even if it fails and I sell zero websites, the experience alone is huge.

And I owe a large part of it to this thread and the massively insightful responses within. THANK YOU!

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Update: Email blasted 30-40 web dev firms located in Australia, got a few rejections, mostly no response as yet (sent these on Saturday midnight-ish). Just got off a phone call with one of them and I was offered 30% commission on their affiliate program. To put that in perspective, at their lowest level packages I only need to sell 19 websites per month to make what I earn at my current job. 19 sales per month. That's it. And potentially more.

Holy F*cking shit man, I am shaking with excitement and nervousness. I am so pumped. I will continue to work the job, but I will have a lot of time off this month due to boss going on holiday, goal is minimum 100 calls per day. Going to start compiling an advertising strategy as well as a list of contacts for cold calling / emailing / physical mail.

It ain't fast-lane, but it's a huge potential step. Even if it fails and I sell zero websites, the experience alone is huge.

And I owe a large part of it to this thread and the massively insightful responses within. THANK YOU!

Mojosells.com

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
How to break into sales? Or more specifically, telemarketing.

@Thiago Machado We should talk about this.

Answer to thread: Start selling for a company that has already produced revenue, preferably at least $500,000 to $1,000,000 per year.

Find the fastest growing companies in a specific region - companies doing $1,000,000 - $20,000,000 in revenue - and use Linkedin.com to find the identify of their head recruiter in sales.

Ask about the margins in the game.

Ask about business development agreements.

Aim for industries in which you can land $5,000 - $10,000 minimum paydays for landing clients, with the potential for $100,000+ paydays for larger clients.

Aim for the big industries: Energy, construction, tech, healthcare, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.