The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Udemy censored my tinder texting course

D

Deleted78083

A while back, I created a course to help men connect with women on tinder. This came after several of my female friends complained how rude and weird many guys were on the app. Since, without bragging, I was quite good at it, i thought i could help men and women have better relationships if i taught men to communicate better.

Then today, Udemy decided to censor all courses related to dating because they are not "safe".

Here is what they sent:

Hello,

We’re reaching out from Udemy’s Trust & Safety team regarding one or more of your courses.

Fostering a safe and productive learning atmosphere is critical to the success of students, instructors, and Udemy alike. To that end, we are currently reviewing some of our content and behavior policies which have been flagged either on the site or through social media platforms.

As part of the review, we conducted an audit of the courses involving romantic relationships and intimacy. As we looked into course materials and the data around refund rates and reports of abuse, we believe that this category as a whole is not contributing positively to the student experience. Going forward, we have decided to remove courses from the site on topics such as attraction, dating, and sexual performance.

We appreciate that this is a difficult change for some instructors, especially those who specialize in these subject areas. We are allowing for a retirement window so that instructors can handle any administrative or support tasks necessary to retire the course.

Courses will be retired on July 31, 2020. All enrolled students will retain access to the course in accordance with the lifetime guarantee, but the instructor will unfortunately lose access via the instructor dashboard. If you wish to advise students about the course’s closure, you may do so via one educational announcement. If you would like to wind down new enrollments immediately, you can change your course settings to privatize or unpublish your course as directed in our help center.

If you are considering creating a new course in a content area adjacent to romantic or intimate relationships such as reproductive health or counseling, please reach out in advance to discuss your plans further. We are happy to guide you through the Restricted Topics or other Course Materials Policies.

Thank you for your understanding as our policies evolve to meet the needs of learners. If we can be of any assistance to you, please let us know. For information on other recent updates, please see the Teaching Center.

Best Regards,
Udemy Trust & Safety Team

I have retained two lessons:

1. Don't be dependent on others' platforms
2. THERE IS NOW AN OPPORTUNITY TO CREATE A PLATFORMS FOR COURSES REJECTED BY UDEMY.

Best,

M.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Hmmm. That’s interesting.. somebody I know wants me to make a course on dating. I had no idea there were courses on Udemy on it.. dating stuff online seems so .. unnecessary.. but I don’t have a problem meeting amazing ppl.

I’ve wanted to bring this topic up and hear what ppl say but I totes don’t want to be the person who brings it up. Lol.

Do guys really need or even want dating courses??

klm79

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 25, 2014
This idea is really fun and kind of great.

I toyed around with something like this years ago.

I'd keep working on it and just do it on your own

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Why do you need to put this up on udemy?

Just build your own funnel website, use Facebook ads and promote it.

The reason I would not be doing this type of thing is that I really hate being associated with all this pickup/dating stuff. But if I had to promote a guy, it would be an opportunity for me.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
A while back, I created a course to help men connect with women on tinder. This came after several of my female friends complained how rude and weird many guys were on the app. Since, without bragging, I was quite good at it, i thought i could help men and women have better relationships if i taught men to communicate better.

Then today, Udemy decided to censor all courses related to dating because they are not "safe".

Here is what they sent:

Hello,

We’re reaching out from Udemy’s Trust & Safety team regarding one or more of your courses.

Fostering a safe and productive learning atmosphere is critical to the success of students, instructors, and Udemy alike. To that end, we are currently reviewing some of our content and behavior policies which have been flagged either on the site or through social media platforms.

As part of the review, we conducted an audit of the courses involving romantic relationships and intimacy. As we looked into course materials and the data around refund rates and reports of abuse, we believe that this category as a whole is not contributing positively to the student experience. Going forward, we have decided to remove courses from the site on topics such as attraction, dating, and sexual performance.

We appreciate that this is a difficult change for some instructors, especially those who specialize in these subject areas. We are allowing for a retirement window so that instructors can handle any administrative or support tasks necessary to retire the course.

Courses will be retired on July 31, 2020. All enrolled students will retain access to the course in accordance with the lifetime guarantee, but the instructor will unfortunately lose access via the instructor dashboard. If you wish to advise students about the course’s closure, you may do so via one educational announcement. If you would like to wind down new enrollments immediately, you can change your course settings to privatize or unpublish your course as directed in our help center.

If you are considering creating a new course in a content area adjacent to romantic or intimate relationships such as reproductive health or counseling, please reach out in advance to discuss your plans further. We are happy to guide you through the Restricted Topics or other Course Materials Policies.

Thank you for your understanding as our policies evolve to meet the needs of learners. If we can be of any assistance to you, please let us know. For information on other recent updates, please see the Teaching Center.

Best Regards,
Udemy Trust & Safety Team

I have retained two lessons:

1. Don't be dependent on others' platforms
2. THERE IS NOW AN OPPORTUNITY TO CREATE A PLATFORMS FOR COURSES REJECTED BY UDEMY.

Best,

M.
Gotta love the corporate: "Thanks for understanding".
But yea, why not post the course elsewhere or on your own website?
Is not alot of work, I bet you can do it with wordpress.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I wonder if you can now run ads with "so good they banned it from Udemy" type headline?

Chances are that gets some clicks.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hmmm. That’s interesting.. somebody I know wants me to make a course on dating. I had no idea there were courses on Udemy on it.. dating stuff online seems so .. unnecessary.. but I don’t have a problem meeting amazing ppl.

I’ve wanted to bring this topic up and hear what ppl say but I totes don’t want to be the person who brings it up. Lol.

I don't know about a course, I have read books on the topic.

But you need a fisherman to teach you how to catch fish!

It's like me writing a book about how to date as a female and I'm a male writing it.

How would I know what's it's like?

If you would write a book targeting females with dating advice, even a course I think it would do alot better.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Guys still use Tinder?
It amazes me how people still look for shortcuts and don't realize that pick up lines are BS.

You can simply tell them that all that matters is how many pictures you have with a supercar in the background, or abs pics, but then they won't buy your course.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
They didn't censor you, they removed an entire category. You make it sound like they did it to spite you personally.

Sucks to feel the Commandment of Control like that. Amazon pulls shit like that all the time. All big platforms do. That's why you can't be reliant on one platform for too long. It's fine in the short term but in the long term, the bigger party can always just get rid of you.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
The first income stream I built, is one policy violation away from getting thrown in the dumpster by the person who controls the platform.

Commandment of control is very important.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
As we looked into course materials and the data around refund rates and reports of abuse, we believe that this category as a whole is not contributing positively to the student experience. Going forward, we have decided to remove courses from the site on topics such as attraction, dating, and sexual performance.

Makes total sense from Udemy's perspective, can't blame them. Sounds like a category that would only bring conflict to their platform and even be a potential liability. Beyond their cited high refund rates and reports of abuse, they could also thinking of the following:

1 - Guru saturated field with many out to exploit it and make a quick buck

2 - Difficulty in assessing good and bad content, hard to say who is right and who is wrong

3 - Liability - Someone may misinterpret course content, become too aggressive on a date, ends up in a legal battle and as a result sues Udemy saying their course told them to do it. Includes me too and cancel culture, making it so that allowing strangers to offer paid dating advice on your platform is just too risky

4 - Conflicting ideologies, The Red Pill (TRP), Female Dating Strategy (FDS), other general schools of thought that benefit one sex over the other

It's not just Udemy. I think the world in general is pivoting away from dating advice; one such example is Real Social Dynamics, an 8-figure dating company based on seminars and real life pick up help, is now almost exclusively focused on self-improvement and some kind of spiritual transcendence while avoiding pickup advice like the plague.

If you feel like you want to keep a course or two on Udemy for a passive income stream, there's nothing wrong with that given that you acknowledge that the commandment of control is not there. You could try transitioning from a Tinder course to something like "professional/non-professional communication for success".

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

There probably is a market. Buy I don’t think it is a texting course. There are men who want to date
have no time playing games online.

If there are Service providers who can arrange professional photo taking services, and do the texting for them to arrange a dinner appointment which the guy will meet the girl in a restaurant, with the promise that the guy will foot the bill, that can be a good “digital marketing service”.

The “online to offline” model seems more reliable. It is to remove the bots and fraudsters who post fake pictures and waste men’s time.

This can be a premium services that you charge a lot of money.

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen
Don't lie about the reason for the ban: "too good". In this market customers are looking for integrity red flags.

Udemy was a great way to test and iterate the course with a ready-made audience. Now you can make an informed choice on how to move forward.

D

Deleted78083

Thank you everyone for the replies. These comments to advertise the course "so good we got banned from Udemy" really, really made me laugh!

In restrospective, I regret having written this thread as it doesn't really bring any value to the community. I got the email at 2AM announcing they were cutting me off and the only place where I could unleash my emotions was the forum. I shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry. Furthermore, what happened is my fault, I chose the topic and I chose to post it on the platform. So, it's a really dumb thread.

I still hope this story can show you how the commandment of control works, and that it can impact your business, even though in my case, the course was more of a side-hobby than anything else.

Also I spend way too much on this forum since I deleted Instagram, so gonna take some time off.

Finally, if you're wondering about the relevance of the course/topic, I'll just say this: markets exist because they serve needs (duh), not the other way around. As such, it's not because a market disappears, that the needs it serves disappear as well.

Best,

M.

PS: in February, I started a blog on which I wrote as of today 45 articles. I got my first comment yesterday, which pleased me and surprised me a lot because I've done zero SEO on the website! Always cool to share this!!

If only you knew

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Interesting idea... I've been considering an app for a variation on this but it's on hold for now as this topic has such a bad image. If a way can be found to promote the positive aspects while minimising the negative you'd really have something... but alas its not a topic you can debate objectively online... too many scripted minds horrified at the thought the attraction is a Science that anyone can learn. Happy to discuss it in private with you as a web-based app might suit you best... no need to worry about the Commandment of Control then! :peace:

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
Too bad, that is what happens when you play in a platform you don't own. Commandment of control. I have all but abandoned my Udemy course because it's now dated. I am recreating them now and will publish on my own domain for reasons like this.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
In restrospective, I regret having written this thread as it doesn't really bring any value to the community.

It had value to me. I really.. have for sometime now.. wanted to have a serious convo about this with a bunch of men whom I respect, like the good guys on this forum. But in the past it was the not so good ppl bringing it up or they want to derail the business side of the convo or make jokes so I’ve not been brave enough to discuss it. The only reason I commented here is because it was so obvious that you’re thinking about the subject from a good place and a good purpose.

Anyhoo..this thread sparked some good ideas.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Thank you everyone for the replies. These comments to advertise the course "so good we got banned from Udemy" really, really made me laugh!

In restrospective, I regret having written this thread as it doesn't really bring any value to the community. I got the email at 2AM announcing they were cutting me off and the only place where I could unleash my emotions was the forum. I shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry. Furthermore, what happened is my fault, I chose the topic and I chose to post it on the platform. So, it's a really dumb thread.

I still hope this story can show you how the commandment of control works, and that it can impact your business, even though in my case, the course was more of a side-hobby than anything else.

Also I spend way too much on this forum since I deleted Instagram, so gonna take some time off.

Finally, if you're wondering about the relevance of the course/topic, I'll just say this: markets exist because they serve needs (duh), not the other way around. As such, it's not because a market disappears, that the needs it serves disappear as well.

Best,

M.

PS: in February, I started a blog on which I wrote as of today 45 articles. I got my first comment yesterday, which pleased me and surprised me a lot because I've done zero SEO on the website! Always cool to share this!!

If only you knew
It wasn't your best thread. It wasn't your worst though.
Upon buying clothes in a second-hand shop, two Belgians (the founders) suddenly came to realization that it wasn't really possible to buy second hand underwear

Last year I designed and published a course to help guys get dates on tinder. I sold it to one person on udemy

Let's hope it's not your bestseller.

D

Deleted78083

It had value to me. I really.. have for sometime now.. wanted to have a serious convo about this with a bunch of men whom I respect, like the good guys on this forum. But in the past it was the not so good ppl bringing it up or they want to derail the business side of the convo or make jokes so I’ve not been brave enough to discuss it. The only reason I commented here is because it was so obvious that you’re thinking about the subject from a good place and a good purpose.

Anyhoo..this thread sparked some good ideas.
I'd be happy to discuss this with you by message : )

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.