The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Two Style Ideas

Idea threads

Should I pusue either of these?

• FiveRR Gig

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoe Healing Operation

• Combine?

• Total voters

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Hey fastlaners/unscripters,

I have been reading the forum for the last two years on and off and have read both of the books, but most of the ideas I've had or come across just kind of go and I don't have too much interest in or don't think they have any potential. I could be wrong, but anywho...

I've recently had two ideas and wanted to post here for some feedback and market validation.

I'm hugely into menswear and style, so the first idea is basically a fiverr gig that well, offers to help you understand style better and build a better wardrobe.

I'm not sure how great I would be as a stylist because I only know what I like and what looks great timelessly. I like to stick to a lot of simple pieces and classics because I know I won't ever have to worry about them becoming invalid, and because I can't really afford to experiment otherwise.

Anyways, the link to that is here: schuettlerw : I will help you to become the best dressed man wherever you are for $20 on www.fiverr.com

If I'm not allowed to post that here, I will take down and apologize for doing so. Just wanted to provide a look at the gig and its copy I've written.

The second idea would be to start up some kind of "Shoe Healer" operation. I don't want to steal that name because that is a uk based footwear retailer that deals some of the shoes I could work on, but the name conveys what I would do well. Not resole or repair, but recondition, shine, and buff leather shoes. I'm just having a hard time seeing how it would work without a physical brick and mortar location because I see all kinds of business people walking around in leather shoes that are all scuffed up and the sole edges haven't been recolored or conditioned since they got them out of the boxes.

Thanks for all and any feedback and criticism!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
What it sound like here is that you already know what you want to do... You're just looking for validation..

Get out there and do it.. Find out what works and what doesn't

Only one rule in business... follow the money

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I'll go out on a limb here - I actually like the idea of your design service.

The things I like:
1. Useful service
2. Value priced
3. I'm going to assume you are good at it.

Things I would adjust:
1. Your "copy" is focused more on you than the customer. Think - Instead of "I will help you..." to "Be the Best Dressed Man Everywhere you go!"
2. Take pictures of clients you've helped (not yourself). Testimonials would be awesome! Give your services away for free if you need to build your portfolio.
3. Eventually you are going to need to distance yourself from the commandment of TIME. Maybe consider clothing affiliate that rolls into clothing manufacturer, etc? Lots of ways to go here.

I'm 42 and have no clue how to dress. I would pay for this service if it was marketed/sold to me in a more value-providing manner.

Good luck man!

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee

The things I like:
1. Useful service
2. Value priced

Things I would adjust:
1. Your "copy" is focused more on you than the customer. Think - Instead of "I will help you..." to "Be the Best Dressed Man Everywhere you go!"
2. Take pictures of clients you've helped (not yourself). Testimonials would be awesome! Give your services away for free if you need to build your portfolio.
3. Eventually you are going to need to distance yourself from the commandment of TIME. Maybe consider clothing affiliate that rolls into clothing manufacturer, etc? Lots of ways to go here.

I'm 42 and have no clue how to dress. I would pay for this service if it was marketed/sold to me in a more value-providing manner.

Good luck man!
Another idea I’ve had is to start a tie line. Both of these invalidate the time commandment in the end. It’s hard to find real, quality and value in great ties. Chip neckwear and Kent want are good, but not super value. If I could sell a grenadine silk tie for $40...I may have something.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I would love to have someone show me around the city, what shops to look out for, how to identify quality garments for cheap etc.

Also, in the last two years here, what action did you take towards your business?
There are millions of needs out there.
What kind of service would you be a user of? Will you buy your own ties?

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
What genuinely stands out to me in both TMF and Unscripted is the Major Bottomline: Creating Value While Solving Problems." This is the basis I adore with both books.

I can understand you seeking validation because you not only wish to be sure that you're going to do something good, but, you also want to hear what we would think, and that is actually cool; however, the best I can say is, if from both options you can see either, or both, as a means to fulfilling a need, while building and creating value in the lives of your potential clients, then, you've already got something solid that you now must take and build a solid foundation using the principles of TMF and Unscripted.

Based on the option you choose to work with, you're literally just going to have to dive in (Action) - build your clientelle; (Assess) - listen to your Customers, what they like, what they dislike about your product/service/platform etc. and (Adjust) accordingly, especially as it helps you to build success, while ensuring your Customers are happy.

Talk about a win-win. Lol, as I always say, it's not going to be as easy as I typed it, as we both know; but it is SO going to be worthwhile and to have TMF and Unscripted as our playbook in making this a great reality - How Cool?

Kudos on your ideas and whichever option you choose, may you be successfully Unscripted ALL the way

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
I would love to have someone show me around the city, what shops to look out for, how to identify quality garments for cheap etc.

Also, in the last two years here, what action did you take towards your business?
There are millions of needs out there.
What kind of service would you be a user of? Will you buy your own ties?

I would definitely buy my own ties. I'm very much a value shopper, so I usually never buy things at retail unless they are priced extremely well or on sale. But, I wouldn't produce ties that I wouldn't want to wear myself. That being said..I don't really like wearing ties...unless I'm in a full suit. I just like styling and I keep things super basic.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee

The things I like:
1. Useful service
2. Value priced

Things I would adjust:

Good luck man!
Thanks for the reply. I changed the title. I'm not sure if I'm good at it. I haven't had any customers yet. I'd like to think I have good style and could help others dress well.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Check out what the women fashion bloggers and stylists are doing on instagram.

Maybe that's a better place to be than fiverr.

What better way to sell your styling abilities, than lots of fab pictures of you being stylish?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

What better way to sell your styling abilities, than lots of fab pictures of you being stylish?
Agreed. Just not sure how many people perusing fiverr are interested in style advice.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

Also, Instagram is where brands are going to be looking for influencers to promote their stuff. No one will be looking on Fiverr.

Become a fashion expert on instagram, and you will have an endless supply of clothes to model, and will be paid to do so. This seems to me an easier path to monetization, than just "providing style advice".

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
I have an Instagram. I could link if you guys would like to see for critique

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Agreed. Just not sure how many people perusing fiverr are interested in style advice.

This makes sense. Most people going there are looking to outsource a product or service. Not sure why I thought mine would be a good idea to post there.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Also, Instagram is where brands are going to be looking for influencers to promote their stuff. No one will be looking on Fiverr.

Become a fashion expert on instagram, and you will have an endless supply of clothes to model, and will be paid to do so. This seems to me an easier path to monetization, than just "providing style advice".
my instagram is kalebschuettler if you want to look at my posts? I usually just post what im wearing that day or shoes or something..

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
my instagram is kalebschuettler if you want to look at my posts? I usually just post what im wearing that day or shoes or something..

If you're going to do this seriously, you need to get better backgrounds for your shots. Sell the lifestyle, surround yourself with the city, the streets, or whatever vibe you're going to go for.

I wear t-shirts and the same pair of shorts and flip flops every day... so I'm not going to comment on the style. :)

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
If you're going to do this seriously, you need to get better backgrounds for your shots. Sell the lifestyle, surround yourself with the city, the streets, or whatever vibe you're going to go for.

I wear t-shirts and the same pair of shorts and flip flops every day... so I'm not going to comment on the style. :)
For sure. I will take that into consideration for the next posts.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee

honestly though, im not sure that would be enjoyable for me. I like my tie idea and have contacted a manufacturer on alibaba. There is a certain kind of tie that I would like to make cheaper than is on the market, but im not sure why it isnt cheaper on the market. They say they can make something similar, but...I need to find out first haha

I messaged my favorite style blogger and he had a somewhat negative responsive to it specifically, but I'm not sure whether to take his word or find out on my own...and I always like to find out for myself and be wrong rather than be swayed by someone else telling me no.

Kaleb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 3, 2015
Tennessee
Didn’t really follow through with this. The manufacturer doesn’t really understand what I want made and I’m skeptical how the quality will be. There is already available options for these at low cost and grenadine silk is very niche and a high quality fabric. Most people outside the loop of style don’t even care to know the difference or seek it out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.