The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Two Questions

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Hey, I have two questions. One, I just read that the Google stock for each of the Google guys has their net worth at like $25 billion a piece (WHEW!). My question is, are they really worth that much, or is it sort of like how they said the Facebook founder was worth $5 billion, but that's very misleading...? Or are, for all practical purposes, the Google guys really worth $25 billion a piece?

Second, I am wondering, let's say you start a business and build it big and then take it public. But then let's say later on, you buy up all the shares. Does your owning all the shares of a public company make it private automatically, or is the company on paper technically public, but it's the same effect as if it was private since you own all the shares?

EDIT: Okay, I have a third question as well, which was, I read that for example, a small business like n auto shop may have to comply with over 100,000 Federal, State, and local regulations. My question is, how does an entrepreneur make sure they stay in line with all these regulations? Do you need to hire a lawyer and accountant and anyone else from the get-go?

I don't see how one person who isn't an expert could possibly make sure you are complying with so many regulations.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Okay, so a company can still be public but have all the shares owned by one person?
Would the difference in this case be that such a public company still has to publicly release its financial data the way public companies do, even though the company is owned by one person in this case, whereas a privately-held company, they don't have to do this? Thanks for the information so far.

Those damn Google guys. My goal is to get to at least $2 billion :) (though $200 million and I will be happy too!).

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Okay, so a company can still be public but have all the shares owned by one person?
Would the difference in this case be that such a public company still has to publicly release its financial data the way public companies do, even though the company is owned by one person in this case, whereas a privately-held company, they don't have to do this? Thanks for the information so far.

Those damn Google guys. My goal is to get to at least $2 billion :) (though $200 million and I will be happy too!).

i hve a queston for you however. I see you around a lot of exotic car forums aimlessly posting questions in every spectrum. To make a statement of your goal is $2B what exactley are you doing to even begin moving towords that? It seems like you talk alot about the finer things in life, but it also sounds like extensive dreaming, i hope ( and this is what my question is) tht you are acctually working on something and working twords your goal. So Mr. Wheels What is it?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
i hve a queston for you however. I see you around a lot of exotic car forums aimlessly posting questions in every spectrum. To make a statement of your goal is $2B what exactley are you doing to even begin moving towords that? It seems like you talk alot about the finer things in life, but it also sounds like extensive dreaming, i hope ( and this is what my question is) tht you are acctually working on something and working twords your goal. So Mr. Wheels What is it?

I've read a lot of Wheel's posts and he is very bright. I'd bet that he will succeed beyond what most people dream of. Like many folks on this board, if he was a stock, I'd be buying! :smxB:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I've read a lot of Wheel's posts and he is very bright. I'd bet that he will succeed beyond what most people dream of. Like many folks on this board, if he was a stock, I'd be buying! :smxB:
Haha...I was gonna post something like that, too. He is very, very bright. I'd even be willing to merge!

...like a partnership for those who don't get my lame jokes. :) (or I guess you could've taken it as a "fastlane" joke)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Dont get me wrong im not implying the inverse, I am simply asking a freindly question of what are your plans and goals to acheive 2B. I mean 2B is alot of money one would have to be working on something now unless s/he are banking on a facebook/youtube like e-startup that they are going to build and sell all in one shot

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I hope every member on this forum is working on something, doing something big or little every week to bring them closer to the goal.

I can't even read some of the stuff on other forums - people freak out over $200, teacher keep drilling "JOB!! JOB!! JOB!! And guess what, there is competition and a possible recession, so you will be LUCKY if you even get one!"

God bless people who are willing to show others that there is another way.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
PhxMJ and Yankees338, thanks for the support/compliments :)

i hve a queston for you however. I see you around a lot of exotic car forums aimlessly posting questions in every spectrum.

Mmm....I think that's a bit of a stretch of the truth, because the only exotic car forum I hang around at is LamboPower, not anything else.

I do post a lot of "random" questions in the LamboPower "General" section because the members there are very bright and they can provide a lot of good information.

To make a statement of your goal is $2B what exactley are you doing to even begin moving towords that? It seems like you talk alot about the finer things in life, but it also sounds like extensive dreaming, i hope ( and this is what my question is) tht you are acctually working on something and working twords your goal. So Mr. Wheels What is it?

HA HA HA, yes don't worry I am working towards it. I actually have been wondering if people thought that about me, because I always talk about wealth and prosperity and post HUGE insane goals sometimes. Anyways, well right now I am saving up to start up my ecommerce site and learning about website programming to program it. Saving for inventory is the toughest part. I also am writing up the business plan so that I can make sure I get it as close to right as possible.

$2 billion is a goal and a much-more long-term one, right now "the plan" is to build the ecommerce site to save up enough money to start up a bigger business idea I have (I have a few, ranging from franchises (there is a particular franchise idea I am VERY eager to start, it might be too late, or I could be like Wendy's entering with Burger King and McDonald's, I don't know) to some specific B2B businesses). I also intend to built a big ecommerce business made up of a bunch of smaller ecommerce businesses, each focusing on a specific niche (starting with this first one).

The bigger business I will build up to hopefully garner wealth in the nine figures (for example build up a big franchise then sell it, something like that). The ecommerce business will hopefully grow into a multimillion-dollar business too.

Then assuming I get to nine-figures, I intend to become a venture capitalist, and also I intend to start up a tech company in Silicon Valley. I intend to do a lot of investing and get into real-estate, and hopefully start developing resorts eventually, but that's further down the road.

The goal would be to build the nine figures into $1 billion, upon which I've read then it becomes easier to gain a second billion...

As for my rather lofty goals, well I am by nature a dreamer and I am rather poor right now so I keep my dreams in my head for inspiration.

I am a firm believer in the saying that, "Only those who try going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

A very inspiring piece of writing I saw goes,

"Forget the critics. Critics run rampant in today's world. Those who achieve greatness do not. It is easier to put a ceiling on your success than it is to live a life with infinite intensity.

I will never live with the belief that I cannot achieve a goal. I will bust my a$$ to ensure success. I've been called crazy, but in my mind, it is crazy to waste your life away.

Perhaps a ceiling does exist, but I will never be satisfied living with this mentality. If a ceiling does exist, I'm ready to bust through it, creating a window filled with opportunity."

Dont get me wrong im not implying the inverse, I am simply asking a freindly question of what are your plans and goals to acheive 2B. I mean 2B is alot of money one would have to be working on something now unless s/he are banking on a facebook/youtube like e-startup that they are going to build and sell all in one shot

Not necessarily. One real-estate mogul I read about started at age twenty, became wealthy, was making like $1 million a month by age thirty, then he went bankrupt because the market crashed and he was highly leveraged. He went from mansions to a tiny home with his family really fast! Then he got into the lumber business with a friend, and eventually sold his stake in the company for $20 million. Then he decided to get into real-estate, and now at fifty he's a billionaire.

Remember wealth creation is exponential, but IMO yeah it is good to start as early as possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.