The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I’ve noticed that in business and in life, peak performers tend to align with one of the two mindsets. Either they’re the “GO HARD” type who will do whatever it takes through sheer willpower, often motivated by anger and negativity, or the more “SPIRITUAL” (for lack of a better word) type that WANTS to do hard things, but goes about doing hard things not through FORCE, but rather by removing resistance.

1. GO HARD MINDSET – Whatever It Takes, You Will Do

Think about Elon Musk. The guy would do ANYTHING to make sure his businesses succeed. As he said himself, he would have to be dead or incapacitated to give up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5nQ4NwoJ8

And this leads to him working 100+ hour weeks, and neglecting many other areas of his life. People like Elon believe that your capacity with withstand and push through PAIN is what prevents you from reaching their level of success.

“Why is no one else doing these things?”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3GVC2RObuk

The same is true, not in business, but in life, for people like David Goggins.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcAWnsNEnw

Other people taking this approach: Andy Frisella, Dan Pena.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7h587FLllE

Dan Pena talks about creating “generational wealth”, 100M+ in a few years. This is the other feature of these guys… they always have to go for BIGGER and BIGGER and BIGGER, there is no end point for them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LOazB4DZ8Y

All these guys see MONEY and OUTWARD SUCCESS as supremely relevant.

2. “SPIRITUAL” MINDSET – Remove Resistance & Do The Work

The other mindset I call “spiritual” but really it’s more about balance and listening to yourself, working with yourself rather than pushing yourself.

A great example of this is Michael Singer. If you read his book, The Surrender Experiment, it shows how he built a billion dollar business WITHOUT resistance.

RESILIENCE IN CHALLENGING TIMES - Michael A. Singer

The mindset is about listening to yourself, and working at removing resistance rather than just trying to push yourself.

Another great example, not in business, but in life, is Wim Hof.

The Dark Secret Behind the Ice Man | Wim Hof | Goalcast

Wim also isn’t about PUSHING or FORCING change ("listen to your body, never force"), but rather removing his resistance to challenges.

But there is no question that Wim HAS achieved and will continue achieving extremely challenging tasks. In my opinion, easily rivaling Goggins, but with much greater internal ease.

The spiritual mindset is also not getting its motivation from negativity or anger, quite the opposite. These feelings are seen as obstacles to be removed.

Also, money and outward success is seen as less relevant, but will follow from a strong, stable, healthy mind.

Eckhart Tolle - How To Be Wealthy #clapalongifyoufeellikeha

Which Mindset Do You Find Better For You? Which Is More Effective Generally?

For myself, I use both but in different areas of my life. The “spiritual” mindset is what I use in business and in life generally. However, the “GO HARD” mindset is what I use in sports. I find that physical exercise and physical pain makes my mind want to quit really fast. And it’s hard for me to endure physical pain and physically pushing myself.

So the only antidote I’ve found to that is to take charge of my internal self-talk, and push myself harder. And physical exercise NEVER gets easier for me, quite the opposite, things get harder the more I do it. It's challenging because unlike people like Goggins, all my experimentation with mindfulness, makes it difficult for me to access anger (it just seems so irrational, I can't do it). I do experience anxiety/fear every now and then, but anger is extremely rare, and take a GREAT degree of effort.

As for more effective… hmm. I think in terms of money, if that’s the measuring stick, the “go hard” approach tends to work “better”, but I’m not sure if it’s because it’s better. Maybe the peak performers holding the other “spiritual” mindset just have different priorities, and they COULD outperform the “go hard” types if they shared the same priorities.

What’s your mindset, and what are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Wow, what a great and detailed write up! Thank you for thought provoking reflection on myself.

I’m definitely more with David Goggins on most things in life. I did my first GranFondo race without training and almost passed out. Same with most areas of my life for most of my life.
That said, over the past 5 years I’ve chosen to change and have been working on it. Erkhart Tolle lives here in Vancouver, I loved his books. Wim Hoff’s approach is something I once did for a full year and now back at it (3 months so far). I’ve also discovered meditation (TM). And guess what? I qualified for the world championships for GranFondo with this new to me approach, my business is doing better, I’m healthy and have a great family.
I believe it’s important to question everything you read and experiment on yourself to discover yourself.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, great write up. I tend to meander into both mindsets, one is unbalanced (Goggins insanity) and the other is balance (Singer/Hof). I don't think the Type-A "go hard" personality is good for health as a lifestyle choice, no matter how many marathons you run.

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
I'm mostly #2.

I use the words of wisdom from people in the first group to remove the resistance.

For example, Dan Pena says you are 2,000 cold calls away from your 1st million dollar deal. I tell myself this whenever I feel like what I'm doing is meaningless. Knowing I have to "get the reps in" removes internal resistance of it being pointless.

Knowing I'm 2,000 posts, Quora answers, Tweets, etc from a sale makes it easy to sit down and do the work.

I self-sabotage if I try to be in the 1st group.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm mostly #2.

I use the words of wisdom from people in the first group to remove the resistance.

For example, Dan Pena says you are 2,000 cold calls away from your 1st million dollar deal. I tell myself this whenever I feel like what I'm doing is meaningless. Knowing I have to "get the reps in" removes internal resistance of it being pointless.

Knowing I'm 2,000 posts, Quora answers, Tweets, etc from a sale makes it easy to sit down and do the work.

I self-sabotage if I try to be in the 1st group.
As someone who grew up playing the video game RuneScape religiously (and being a competitive swimmer), doing 2,000 of the same action, over and over, seems no sweat to me if the reward potential is there.

The hard part is knowing the action(s) to take.

edit: swimming is simple progression if you have a good coach - you just do exactly what they say. Kind of like being an employee. But coaching yourself - or starting a team training others - that requires more vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted68316

People like Elon believe that your capacity with withstand and push through PAIN is what prevents you from reaching their level of success.

I was thinking about it recently.

The assumption was that if you can't build physical muscles is because you get scared of the pain and quit too soon. The fact that if someone is able to change one area of his life, usually may be able to change also the others. The same is true for stretching and Yoga. You think you have arrived at the maximum resistance, but you can continue.

In terms of PUSH or PULL, makes sense to me to start pushing, and then once the spaceship is in the orbit, you go with the pull (once you activate the positive feedback loop, for instance).

At the same time, though, for some of us, the start itself has to be a "pull" or source of inspiration. Like Eckart Tolle and Michael Singer for instance.

Great post man. Thank you.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
"Go hard" mindset: keep convincing yourself that what you're doing is worth it. Force your product on the market.

"Let go" mindset: work with the reality around you. Figure out what the market really wants.

I respect Henry Ford a million times more than Elon Musk.

With either mindset there are still times for massive action and grinding, but when you "go hard" there seems to be as much flailing as is there is grinding because you're afraid to slow down and face some uncomfortable realizations.

"Go hard" is like app designers adding hundreds of menu items and buttons. It gets the job done, but it's shit and it's not sustainable.

"Let go" is like designing the iPod.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
"Go hard" mindset: keep convincing yourself that what you're doing is worth it. Force your product on the market.

"Let go" mindset: work with the reality around you. Figure out what the market really wants.

I respect Henry Ford a million times more than Elon Musk.

With either mindset there are still times for massive action and grinding, but when you "go hard" there seems to be as much flailing as is there is grinding because you're afraid to slow down and face some uncomfortable realizations.

"Go hard" is like app designers adding hundreds of menu items and buttons. It gets the job done, but it's shit and it's not sustainable.

"Let go" is like designing the iPod.
Well I think they serve different purposes in the examples you gave. The people like Elon Musk don't care about success or obtaining wealth as much as innovating and bringing something really new to the world, so they are focused on that
Instead seeking success in the market is different and you probably want wealth before innovation.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Both of these mindsets are about what YOU feel and what YOU think and YOUR opinion of if you're working hard or not.

You can compare one against the other all you want.

The market wants what the MARKET wants, and it doesn't care about you.

It doesn't care about how much effort you feel you put in.

It doesn't care if you stayed up 3 days in a row to work on your business.

It doesn't care if you were in a coma and your online business ran on autopilot.

Whether I build a trinket by hand and spend my entire life on it, or I wave a magic wand and produce it instantly, the market won't care about it any more or less.

Anything with a conscience has an issue with solipsism and overemphasizing things that are close to them.

Whichever 'mindset' helps create value in the marketplace for you in your specific situation is what matters. Because the market doesn't give a shit what you do or how you feel, only what you create for it. Now, there are good generalizations we can make to save some time.

All things the same, working more will generally result in more output.

All things the same, prioritizing one activity over another will result in more progress and output in that activity relative to others.

It usually is a given that you will have to work hard to accomplish your goals. Not because of any specific reason. You usually just aren't that efficient and smart enough to not need to work hard. It's very rare to be that effective in our actions that we can achieve great things without much work.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Both of these mindsets are about what YOU feel and what YOU think and YOUR opinion of if you're working hard or not.

It doesn't care if you were in a coma and your online business ran on autopilot.

Whether I build a trinket by hand and spend my entire life on it, or I wave a magic wand and produce it instantly, the market won't care about it any more or less.

Anything with a conscience has an issue with solipsism and overemphasizing things that are close to them.

Whichever 'mindset' helps create value in the marketplace for you in your specific situation is what matters. Because the market doesn't give a shit what you do or how you feel, only what you create for it. Now, there are good generalizations we can make to save some time.

All things the same, prioritizing one activity over another will result in more progress and output in that activity relative to others.

It usually is a given that you will have to work hard to accomplish your goals. Not because of any specific reason. You usually just aren't that efficient and smart enough to not need to work hard. It's very rare to be that effective in our actions that we can achieve great things without much work.
This post alone should be gold. This is the perfect explanation.

As a swimmer in high school I had a lot of friends on the team who refused to do "club" training. They would lose a race to a kid from a bigger city and be like "yeah, those damn club swimmers, I only train high school anyway so I'm better. If I did club I'd beat him."

And my point was like yours: The time on the clock at the end of your race will not change depending on who you are, your backstory, if you spent lots of money on a private coach or if you trained in a gutter. You don't get a handicap in a race - they don't subtract seconds.

There isn't a participation trophy that says "you did really well with your natural talent, despite not applying yourself."

Or "you worked so hard on this, and even though you did it a really stupid way that resulted in a subpar product, we're going to reward you for your efforts."

All that matters is effectiveness.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Hard to argue with what you stated.

I have been a very hard worker most of my life. I've learned that focused hard work pays dividends.

But I do feel that the 2 options go hand in hand. It would be very difficult to put my feelings down in a meaningful way on a post.

I can't tell you how many times that a great amount of money found its way into my pocket that from all appearances, looked like luck.

Also the many times that intuition and impulses steered me in another direction. But you have to realize that your inner self is communicating with you. Otherwise, you would just continue on.

I don't believe in luck. I believe that our energy pulls what we want into our path. We need to recognize it and make choices.

I have MANY examples. Once when I was still fairly early on in the apartment investing realm, I had a guy from across the country send me a spreadsheet. It was his evaluation on a deal. It was 100% financing. I gave him my opinion and told him it was very rare to find that type of money. A few days later I got a call from someone out of chicago. He asked me to fly back to meet him and said it would be worth my while. He got my phone number from the guy that sent me the spreadsheet.

So a guy with a very nice BMW picks me up from the airport and drives me to a fancy hotel lobby. Here I meet this man that introduced himself as a retired bank attorney. He offered me a deal of 100% financing. He would collect 8% of the sale profits along with the monthly payments on the building. My first deal with him netted me 1.1M on a 135 unit building.

Hard work? Yes. But that was my choice. I did a few more deals with him until he passed away.

Another. I was fresh out of the collapse of 2008 and had lost a lot of money. There was this small apartment complex that I was working on. This guy pulls up to the building and asks me if I might be interested in becoming a partner with 4 other people on 87 units in a supreme location of town. He told me the price was 18.5K per unit. He told me that if I could raise the money for the down payment through investors, I would become a 1/5th partner in the deal.

I asked about the other partners. Would they just let someone else into the deal. He said yes... they would let YOU in.

The deal was so good that I suggested to the team that we look for hard money instead of investors. He went to someone he knew to present this and came back with 100% financing, an additional 400K for repairs, and 6 months of no payments while we fixed the units up.

We sold the project in less than a year for 78K/unit. Significant amount of money for each partner.

Again, I worked hard on the fixup and again it was my choice. I wanted to do this. I was blown away that someone hunted me down to add me to the group. They were all big players that had suffered mightily in the downturn. Only one of them wanted me on board but he was insistent with the other partners. He had only met me once in his office for a few minutes. That was a year earlier. I met with him at the time to discuss financing on a different deal.

Another still. I had an apartment that was master metered for utilities. I wanted to submeter it so the tenants could be billed for their usage. I found a company that would put all of this in for 40K. After a few weeks of ironing out details, I was ready to pull the trigger, sign the contract and give them half the money. This was a large national company. I tried to call their number multiple times and the call would not go through. I talked to other people so my phone worked.

I saw this as a sign and after eight or so attempts decided to stop.

The next day, we had an offer on the property. Someone that just walked on and said to a tenant "is this place for sale?". The tenant happened to be a real estate agent and called the office to inquire. He offered a lot of money and we accepted. He did not want the sub-metering I was working on.

I called the company to let them know that I would not be proceeding with the work. While I had them on the phone I asked if they had phone issues a couple days ago. The answer was no. I got a kick out of that.

I have a lot more examples so here is a final one.

An investor that I had done some business with asked me about financing for a 200 unit apartment. I gave him a name. A few weeks later he sent me a contract stating that I would get some portion of money upon the sale of the property for giving him the contact.

Five years later he called me to let me know that $230K was on its way to me. It was at a time that I was tapped out on cash and trying to purchase an incredible deal on some land. My wife told me that there was not a chance. The deal had a potential of making us close to 1M with minimal work of splitting lots and parceling them out.

Once the money arrived my wife gave me the go ahead. I never expected that money and would never have asked the other party.

So I believe that you don't have to work hard for things to happen. I do believe that you need to move in the direction that you want to go and doors will open. It is fully a combination of both methods though.

I realize that these examples look like luck and coincidence. I don't feel that way though. There has just been way too much luck and coincidence in my life. But, you have to recognize the communications and steering from your inner self. Stay positive through the process because if your energy is going the direction of doom and gloom, you will create doom and gloom.

dimitritsik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 30, 2021
Hard to argue with what you stated.

I have been a very hard worker most of my life. I've learned that focused hard work pays dividends.

But I do feel that the 2 options go hand in hand. It would be very difficult to put my feelings down in a meaningful way on a post.

I can't tell you how many times that a great amount of money found its way into my pocket that from all appearances, looked like luck.

Also the many times that intuition and impulses steered me in another direction. But you have to realize that your inner self is communicating with you. Otherwise, you would just continue on.

I don't believe in luck. I believe that our energy pulls what we want into our path. We need to recognize it and make choices.

I have MANY examples. Once when I was still fairly early on in the apartment investing realm, I had a guy from across the country send me a spreadsheet. It was his evaluation on a deal. It was 100% financing. I gave him my opinion and told him it was very rare to find that type of money. A few days later I got a call from someone out of chicago. He asked me to fly back to meet him and said it would be worth my while. He got my phone number from the guy that sent me the spreadsheet.

So a guy with a very nice BMW picks me up from the airport and drives me to a fancy hotel lobby. Here I meet this man that introduced himself as a retired bank attorney. He offered me a deal of 100% financing. He would collect 8% of the sale profits along with the monthly payments on the building. My first deal with him netted me 1.1M on a 135 unit building.

Hard work? Yes. But that was my choice. I did a few more deals with him until he passed away.

Another. I was fresh out of the collapse of 2008 and had lost a lot of money. There was this small apartment complex that I was working on. This guy pulls up to the building and asks me if I might be interested in becoming a partner with 4 other people on 87 units in a supreme location of town. He told me the price was 18.5K per unit. He told me that if I could raise the money for the down payment through investors, I would become a 1/5th partner in the deal.

I asked about the other partners. Would they just let someone else into the deal. He said yes... they would let YOU in.

The deal was so good that I suggested to the team that we look for hard money instead of investors. He went to someone he knew to present this and came back with 100% financing, an additional 400K for repairs, and 6 months of no payments while we fixed the units up.

We sold the project in less than a year for 78K/unit. Significant amount of money for each partner.

Again, I worked hard on the fixup and again it was my choice. I wanted to do this. I was blown away that someone hunted me down to add me to the group. They were all big players that had suffered mightily in the downturn. Only one of them wanted me on board but he was insistent with the other partners. He had only met me once in his office for a few minutes. That was a year earlier. I met with him at the time to discuss financing on a different deal.

Another still. I had an apartment that was master metered for utilities. I wanted to submeter it so the tenants could be billed for their usage. I found a company that would put all of this in for 40K. After a few weeks of ironing out details, I was ready to pull the trigger, sign the contract and give them half the money. This was a large national company. I tried to call their number multiple times and the call would not go through. I talked to other people so my phone worked.

I saw this as a sign and after eight or so attempts decided to stop.

The next day, we had an offer on the property. Someone that just walked on and said to a tenant "is this place for sale?". The tenant happened to be a real estate agent and called the office to inquire. He offered a lot of money and we accepted. He did not want the sub-metering I was working on.

I called the company to let them know that I would not be proceeding with the work. While I had them on the phone I asked if they had phone issues a couple days ago. The answer was no. I got a kick out of that.

I have a lot more examples so here is a final one.

An investor that I had done some business with asked me about financing for a 200 unit apartment. I gave him a name. A few weeks later he sent me a contract stating that I would get some portion of money upon the sale of the property for giving him the contact.

Five years later he called me to let me know that $230K was on its way to me. It was at a time that I was tapped out on cash and trying to purchase an incredible deal on some land. My wife told me that there was not a chance. The deal had a potential of making us close to 1M with minimal work of splitting lots and parceling them out.

Once the money arrived my wife gave me the go ahead. I never expected that money and would never have asked the other party.

So I believe that you don't have to work hard for things to happen. I do believe that you need to move in the direction that you want to go and doors will open. It is fully a combination of both methods though.

I realize that these examples look like luck and coincidence. I don't feel that way though. There has just been way too much luck and coincidence in my life. But, you have to recognize the communications and steering from your inner self. Stay positive through the process because if your energy is going the direction of doom and gloom, you will create doom and gloom.
Steveo curious are you in the real estate business ...or some kind of broker?

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Great stories @SteveO, thanks for sharing.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

Each opportunity you acted on compounded/snowballed your skills + connections + capital + risk appetite + sharpness of your mind = preparedness. Fantastic!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Great stories @SteveO, thanks for sharing.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

Each opportunity you acted on compounded/snowballed your skills + connections + capital + risk appetite + sharpness of your mind = preparedness. Fantastic!
Thanks for that.

There is also opportunity missed.

I looked at an apartment that from a glance looked fantastic. In the area I wanted and a desirable look. The price was reasonable as well.

I parked in front of the building, closed my eyes, and meditated on it.

I saw a giant aquarium. As I looked at it, the glass front broke and a wave of water knocked my feet out from under me.

I opened my eyes and drove away.

I drove past the building after it had sold. The sewer and water pipes throughout the property were dug up and being replaced out to the street. Massive project that tore up all the beautiful landscape. Don't know if they had to bust out any of the slab or not. Was very pleased with the fact that my feet were only swept out from under me in my vision.

More than just skills...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
If you don't think ruining a building with the power of meditation isn't a skill then I don't know what is!
Not ruining. Just told me to stay away. :)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@Johnny boy. Both mindsets speak to the need to work hard. One through sheer brute force willpower of "I'll do whatever it takes" and the other through "removal of obstacles".

It's true that the market wants value. Invisible forces will judge if you are delivering value and reward you financially. I also disagree with the notion, for instance, that working an extra hour produces more results. Knowledge workers produce more as their experience and knowledge grows. Assembly line workers, on the other hand, are only productive based on how much time they spend at work. As business owners putting in 14 hour days, sleep deprived we are more likely to make global mistakes, like "running east and looking for sunset". Creative work requires mental clarity.

That's at least what I experienced in my life. As I was driving hard to succeed, I was succeeding but it was no where near the results I saw when I moved to "removing obstacles" mindset. And THAT surprised me!

I agree with the OP that Wim Hoff achieved as much and maybe more than David Goggins in every possible way to measure "achievement".

This is why this thread and topic is so fascinating. Some of us have had to experience both and were surprised at what we found. Take meditation. Strictly speaking - what a giant waste of time. Let me get it right, the premise is that you sit and do what? Nothing. That's as unproductive as one can be. Yet every time I meditate I am at a minimum refreshed and often come come back with a thought that helps me. Its an investment not a cost for me.

@SteveO, you replied from experience trying hard to explain the unexplainable. Thanks buddy!

Luck is a very big part of our success in life. I sincerely believe in that. Reading your examples prompted me to think how to explain this while tying into similar experiences.

You have to be in the business to benefit from examples you made. So again, hard work is just a given. But then there are times when you can't help but say "I got lucky". This year I tied up some land, found too many problems for quick development but my gut wouldn't let me drop it. I felt there was a 3rd way, something I didn't think about. My agent then calls me and says, don't drop the site I have a buyer, we'll flip it. Made high 6 figure pure profit for maybe 6 hours of work. As much as I want to say my example was a case of "being good, hard working etc." the reality was it had nothing to do with putting in more hours or brute force. It was a hunch and then a lot of luck.

Meditation helps me with hunches, it feels like my brain begins as a dirty glass of water and as I sit still, the dirt settles and water becomes clear. My brain becomes clear. I make better decisions.

Sounds so close to examples you listed @SteveO . And yes, without reputation, experience, relationships none of this would happen. My point is it was both: luck and the rest.

Luck must be there to benefit, but we must be hard working to be able to take advantage of luck when (if) it presents itself. The two go hand in hand.

dimitritsik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 30, 2021
More retired but mostly invested in apartments and commercial properties. Still playing with land and own a golf course as well.
Steve o any recommendations ...in land?
i deal with single family houses.....and all this nonsense from
the government is very bad..now they going after landlords.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Steve o any recommendations ...in land?
i deal with single family houses.....and all this nonsense from
the government is very bad..now they going after landlords.
Land has a lot less competition. But the people playing this game have a lot of experience. To me, it is much easier but you have to have patience, capital, and a game plan.

DavidL41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 30, 2021
I’ve noticed that in business and in life, peak performers tend to align with one of the two mindsets. Either they’re the “GO HARD” type who will do whatever it takes through sheer willpower, often motivated by anger and negativity, or the more “SPIRITUAL” (for lack of a better word) type that WANTS to do hard things, but goes about doing hard things not through FORCE, but rather by removing resistance.

1. GO HARD MINDSET – Whatever It Takes, You Will Do

Think about Elon Musk. The guy would do ANYTHING to make sure his businesses succeed. As he said himself, he would have to be dead or incapacitated to give up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5nQ4NwoJ8

And this leads to him working 100+ hour weeks, and neglecting many other areas of his life. People like Elon believe that your capacity with withstand and push through PAIN is what prevents you from reaching their level of success.

“Why is no one else doing these things?”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3GVC2RObuk

The same is true, not in business, but in life, for people like David Goggins.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcAWnsNEnw

Other people taking this approach: Andy Frisella, Dan Pena.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7h587FLllE

Dan Pena talks about creating “generational wealth”, 100M+ in a few years. This is the other feature of these guys… they always have to go for BIGGER and BIGGER and BIGGER, there is no end point for them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LOazB4DZ8Y

All these guys see MONEY and OUTWARD SUCCESS as supremely relevant.

2. “SPIRITUAL” MINDSET – Remove Resistance & Do The Work

The other mindset I call “spiritual” but really it’s more about balance and listening to yourself, working with yourself rather than pushing yourself.

A great example of this is Michael Singer. If you read his book, The Surrender Experiment, it shows how he built a billion dollar business WITHOUT resistance.

RESILIENCE IN CHALLENGING TIMES - Michael A. Singer

The mindset is about listening to yourself, and working at removing resistance rather than just trying to push yourself.

Another great example, not in business, but in life, is Wim Hof.

The Dark Secret Behind the Ice Man | Wim Hof | Goalcast

Wim also isn’t about PUSHING or FORCING change ("listen to your body, never force"), but rather removing his resistance to challenges.

But there is no question that Wim HAS achieved and will continue achieving extremely challenging tasks. In my opinion, easily rivaling Goggins, but with much greater internal ease.

The spiritual mindset is also not getting its motivation from negativity or anger, quite the opposite. These feelings are seen as obstacles to be removed.

Also, money and outward success is seen as less relevant, but will follow from a strong, stable, healthy mind.

Eckhart Tolle - How To Be Wealthy #clapalongifyoufeellikeha

Which Mindset Do You Find Better For You? Which Is More Effective Generally?

For myself, I use both but in different areas of my life. The “spiritual” mindset is what I use in business and in life generally. However, the “GO HARD” mindset is what I use in sports. I find that physical exercise and physical pain makes my mind want to quit really fast. And it’s hard for me to endure physical pain and physically pushing myself.

So the only antidote I’ve found to that is to take charge of my internal self-talk, and push myself harder. And physical exercise NEVER gets easier for me, quite the opposite, things get harder the more I do it. It's challenging because unlike people like Goggins, all my experimentation with mindfulness, makes it difficult for me to access anger (it just seems so irrational, I can't do it). I do experience anxiety/fear every now and then, but anger is extremely rare, and take a GREAT degree of effort.

As for more effective… hmm. I think in terms of money, if that’s the measuring stick, the “go hard” approach tends to work “better”, but I’m not sure if it’s because it’s better. Maybe the peak performers holding the other “spiritual” mindset just have different priorities, and they COULD outperform the “go hard” types if they shared the same priorities.

What’s your mindset, and what are your thoughts?
Peak performers have the best basic fundamentals, best skill set, and best ability to perform. They continually optimize their capabilities and ability to consistently perform at THE best. They keep improving capability and ability to perform in order to get the highest results. I suggest to look at how peak top level athletes go above the rest. It is a 'don't reinvent the wheel scenario'. By all means optimize a wheel.

Having higher level of capability, and higher level of performance/execution = a superior performance advantage(in relation to the competition) = superior results

Have a superior strategic ability, have a superior organization(business model), have superior management and employees, and being able to perform under the pressure to get the best performance and result. To my mind it is a bit like a faster runner out running the weaker runner. A great entrepreneur will continually pull ahead of the average competition given that it is scenario of who can get the most results over a course of years. They have the highest odds of success.

-------

At the end of the day, peak performance is your ability to be far better than the average competition, and not only be better but perform better. That is how superior results are obtained. That is how success is achieved.

In conclusion, keep at it to being better, keep at it to performing better, and keep at it to obtaining better results. This includes bootstrapping, growing a business, and getting it to cashflow. If it does not reach cashflow, cut losses, restart. A peak performer sees and acts on opportunity that are promising, and eventually finds situations where it's very high odds of success and can capture that success.

Last edited:

DavidL41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 30, 2021
Land has a lot less competition. But the people playing this game have a lot of experience. To me, it is much easier but you have to have patience, capital, and a game plan.
What you build on the land I think is the value add, right(building a farm, building a house)? Or, do people just sell it or rent it?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
What you build on the land I think is the value add, right(building a farm, building a house)? Or, do people just sell it or rent it?
Once you start building, I would not call it a land play. More of a development play. But, you can partially develop land; rezoning, subdividing, adding utilities, roads, etc... This is what I did on my current project.

Another play that I have going on is with the golf course. 135 acres with a business on it. The land is actually worth more than the business and is a great backup plan.

ArHS

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2021
I've noticed this dichotomy a lot as well because there is a side of me that definitely loves the Goggins mentality (especially when it comes to fitness) but also a side of me that recognises that spirituality and "balance" is also essential to life. Why not, when it comes to it, combine the fire of the Goggins mentality in the moment and the balance of Hof in planning - by this I mean, when you plan a training routine or an execution model for a business system and commit to a certain amount of time you use the "Hof" way to plan out periods of work and rest but ensure that in your periods of work you keep a hard Goggins mentality and get done what you have to get done. I experience this a lot in BJJ training - I am a little b**** to get there but as soon as I am there I will not give up or tap (obviously if I am caught I am caught) unless someone has me clean and all my energy reserves are gone.

DavidL41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 30, 2021
Once you start building, I would not call it a land play. More of a development play. But, you can partially develop land; rezoning, subdividing, adding utilities, roads, etc... This is what I did on my current project.

Another play that I have going on is with the golf course. 135 acres with a business on it. The land is actually worth more than the business and is a great backup plan.
I must admit that is a little too technical for me. For whatever reason I am only passionate about leading strategy and management of business models and process to output the desired outcome. I can only think in terms of how can I develop, and lead an organization to desired results for customers, me, and employees. I can't quite get good at the technicalities of specialized type of jobs.

Having said that would you recommend hiring someone that has the expertise to lead and manage buying land and developing it, and hiring firms to ensure the job gets done right?

Or, would you say in your opinion don't go into investments you aren't passionate in and stay within your realm of competence, even if I can hire someone that is?

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I must admit that is a little too technical for me. For whatever reason I am only passionate about leading strategy and management of business models and process to output the desired outcome. I can only think in terms of how can I develop, and lead an organization to desired results for customers, me, and employees. I can't quite get good at the technicalities of specialized type of jobs.

Having said that would you recommend hiring someone that has the expertise to lead and manage buying land and developing it, and hiring firms to ensure the job gets done right?

Or would you say in your opinion don't go into investments you aren't passionate in and stay within your realm of competence, even if I can hire someone that is?
Have you ever hired a single person yet? I’ve read your other thread and am not sure if you are being real or trolling. Tell us about yourself please. Thanks

DavidL41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 30, 2021
Have you ever hired a single person yet? I’ve read your other thread and am not sure if you are being real or trolling. Tell us about yourself please. Thanks
I have. And, no I don't need to tell you what, as you don't need to tell me what. You are the boss of you. Unless, you got an annoying wife..

What's your problem with people asking questions? I would think a person with the name antifragile wouldn't be a snowflake. Explain yourself.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I have. What's your problem with people asking questions?
I expect @SteveO to spend the time and explain his experience to you in detail. Then you will respond with some “I disagree, that’s your opinion, 98% of the time hire great people… I read on another forum… mu opinion is… I’m entitled to my opinion…
and so on…”

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.