The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Turn Any Protein Powder into an Ice Cream Like Dessert - Need Feedback on FREEZINda™

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So you trademarked the name already, big deal. Spend another $250 and get a new trademark. Launching with a name people don't like is going to cost you way more than $250.

The ingredients list is really important. It should have been the first thing on your mind when you started this product. The fact that you say that you will have it soon bothers me. It makes me think there are some things in there that people won't potentially like and you are re-formulating.

The price is very high. Is it $4 per serving? Are you saying that I need to pay $1 for my scoop of protein powder and then another $4 to turn it into ice cream?

In my opinion, the fact that you launched your website without an ingredient list is telling me that you don't understand your target market at all. Everyone I know that uses protein powder, the first thing that they do when they find a new supplement is turn the container around and read its ingredients. To me, that is the #1 most important piece of your product. I feel it was an afterthought to you and the fact that you filed the trademark 6 months ago first tells me that your priorities aren't right.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
All jokes aside, I have a few opinions about your product and website.

The Website:

17s8if.jpg

1. The font looks tacky. Use a more professional looking font.

2. The picture of the ice cream looks cheap. Replace the whole product image with the actual product and a white backdrop.

For example:

5pn57s.png

*this product looks beautiful and real.

3. Remove the color scheme completely. Remove the snowflakes, too. Looks like a product for children. Your target market are adults.

The Website (Pt. 2):

345lu74.jpg

1. What is the purpose for the puzzle? Again, are you targeting children or adults? Remove this completely. It's tacky and unnecessary.

2. Change the subscribe button to orange. The color orange promotes optimism and action.

3. Remove "Luke 10:27". This is a turn off. Everyone has a different religious view. Keep religion out. This is a business, not a gospel. (No offense to any religions).

The Name:

1. Change your name. Drop it. Freeze-in-the
Is not memorable and causes confusion. This turns people away.

2. Use another name. Use a name that's easily memorable, easy to spell, and sounds fun.

Here's an example:

11ajz3q.jpg

Frotein. Combines frozen and protein together. More logical in my opinion and kinda clever.

Note:
• Re-do your website. Take an artisan approach. Get creative and make your website unique. Not typical.

• Focus on WIIFM (what's in it for me). Instead of stating features, focus your copy on benefits.

• Like @MJ DeMarco said, consider your focus to dessert replacement. Your target market are females after all.

In summary, here's the formula:

artisan approach + female target market + dessert replacement = x

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
What's stopping me from just pouring milk and protein powder in a bag and placing it in another bag with ice and salt?

How does FREEZINda make it easier?

I saw that it takes 14 hours. What?! I can make a single serving of ice cream in less than an hour. Why does it take so long?

People who drink protein shakes tend to be pretty serious about their health. Is it natural ingredients? Does it contain gluten, MSG, gelatin, trans fats, artificial preservatives or flavors, dyes? Is it vegetarian? Will it fit my macros? Does it have added sugar?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I like the product idea - very unique.

The website and video honestly looks like a bunch of Fiverr gigs pasted together, and for a consumable product, it makes you seem untrustworthy.

The theme is more for kids or young girls, so if your market is people who workout and drink protein powder, I think you're way off.

Show pictures of fit people making/eating your product.

Make the theme black and metal/edgy looking like a gym or a workout program would.

Protein powder drinkers typically want to know macros and micros - show a nutrition table.

The website says 50 calories in one place and 150 in another, and only mentions low sugar (which is relative).

This is more of a personal thing, but if your product is all carbs (13 or 37 carbs depending on correct calorie count), I wouldn't buy the product.

Protein powders should have a lot of protein, but less than 5 carbs and fat - otherwise it's not a protein powder, but a calorie powder.

If you add 13 or 37 carbs to a protein shake, it defeats the purpose of consuming protein powder since you're not really getting a protein surplus.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My target market is women aged 19 to 34, as they eat the most ice cream :) So the packaging is as such.

Ding ding ding :clench:

...because women who like ice cream buy tons of protein powder and make their own ice cream.

...meanwhile guys who go to crossfit gyms with containers of protein just snort it

I actually would ask the original poster this question seriously...

Do you even lift bro?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hot damn I missed this thread!

The name has been set

Why, sunk cost fallacy?

Freezing Linda isn't going to appeal to women, especially Linda, and friends of Linda. (Thread tagged appropriately.)

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Can you explain the snorting?

Yes, I try to live a healthy lifestyle. I enjoy working out and cardio! Been working 4-5 days a week since June of 2015. Feel free to PM me and add me on Facebook if you wish :) How long have you been lifting?

Question.

Who do you think drinks more protein shakes? Men or women? Why do people drink protein shakes in addition to their meals?

Probably because people in this demographic watch what they eat.

If I find a clean protein, the last thing I want to do is mix it with something else that contains unnatural ingredients and adds carbs or sugars to it.

My shake is mixed with strawberries, blueberries, banana, nuts, almond milk, spinach and wheat grass. I'm not going to put some powder in it that has no nutritional value just to add flavor to it.

I'd venture that hardcore fitness people will eat and drink what's best for them regardless of taste.

And on top of that you want them to pay $4 for no added nutritional value. I think that even if it were free many people would say no thanks.

I think you may live a healthy lifestyle but you are completely missing the mark on your demographic. You should poll a bunch of people who use protein powder regularly and find out their opinions.

This is why people are reacting to this thread in such a manner with jokes and rolling eyes. I fear you are going to lose a lot of money in your current direction.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can you explain what Freezing Linda is?

People tend to skim words, not read them. Our brain connects the dots using context.

Ths is y undrsntd wht ths sntence meens.

The way you've structured your name, people's brains will tend to default to "Freezing Linda."

I think it's how your labeled it, with the caps and no caps, FREEZINda.

On it's own, FREEZINDA I think is decent. But the lower capped "da" makes the effect worse.

My opinion.

As for the product, I've used protein mixes my entire life -- I might actually use this as a desert replacement, not as a supplement. That might be a better marketing position for your female demographic.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Here's my feedback.

Ingredients list, what's in it? People who drink protein powder usually care about that.

Also, if you're drinking protein shakes regularly, I wouldn't say you're tired of it.
For me, I usually enjoy my shakes or it's a quick way to fill out my macros.

Instead try talking about the limited dessert options for a healthy diet.

"Have a dressert craving but don't want to kill your macros? Pour Freezinda into the protein powder you already have and enjoy healthy icecream you can't buy at the store"

Make sure you point out there really isn't protein icecream out there, stress the convenience of already having your own powder too.

Website looks good on phones too.

Maybe make the first thing I see on the landing page a bowl of icecream instead of a video.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
You married to the Freezinda name?

I kind of echo some of the other copy/design reactions but those are easy enough to fix.... I just can't get past the name.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I have a strong suspicion he came here to drop his site link and never come back. If he genuinely wanted feedback on his business concept, you think he wouldn't have logged off 10 min after his post and not come back since...

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I have a strong suspicion he came here to drop his site link and never come back. If he genuinely wanted feedback on his business concept, you think he wouldn't have logged off 10 min after his post and not come back since...

The freezinda twitter account is him announcing himself as the company's "sweepstakes winner" :clench:

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Did a quick google and he's spamming this shit on other forums too. Ban him.

7ttwVp9.png

Last edited:

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
What a joke. The value provided in the responses (if he read them) would have been highly beneficial for this poor fella, but instead he's probably still spamming a ton of other forums and reddit and will continue doing so until the business dies a slow and painful death. #landfill

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funnily enough, I actually revisited his website and social media a few weeks ago. Not much has changed.

Hmm... killed by either the Desert of Desertion or a lack of product validation. Ordering is disabled and still says "coming soon." Or maybe it's in the middle of Act, Assess, Adjust. I was hoping the bump would alert our friend and he'd return with an update.

I still believe that a "desert replacement" is the best avenue for this.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Check out a YouTube review right here:
View: https://youtu.be/0b6cdp4qhv4?t=2m21s

Oof, that’s brutal.

I also did not realize this would add 18g Carb to any protein. That’s kind of a BIG deal to anyone using protein. My protein (Pro Jym) is only 4g carb/serving. So quadrupling the carbs for ice cream... ouch.

Honestly, it’s easier to get diabetic ice cream like D’Lites if that’s the case...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey there - if you aren't already familiar with the Ninja Creami - I recommend taking a look. Or go on Instagram and look up #ninjacreamirecipes. There is a machine out there that you can make protein ice cream. I know because I have one. I am very particular about my macros and making sure I hit my protein and this is a way that I can have "sweets" and still have high protein snacks. It sounds like a semi simliar concept except maybe without the device? But I would still recommend looking into it if you haven't already because all the IG influencers in fitness are promoting and using the Ninja Creami as a high protein ice cream option.

So it looks like his idea had great merit, but ultimately, poor execution.

Great case study about it's not having the right idea, but the right execution.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
You married to the Freezinda name?

I kind of echo some of the other copy/design reactions but those are easy enough to fix.... I just can't get past the name.

I keep wanting to call it Freeze Linda...

Raaa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 22, 2017
UK
Hi, Welcome!

The fitness market is huge right now and continuing to expand... personally, I can think of many people in your target demographic that will be interested in this product..... so well done to you for finding a potential gap in the market!

However, I don't think you should be celebrating just yet...

Just a little food for thought...

The following webpage is very slow to load and the design is probably the worst here:

Protein Powder Ice Cream Like Dessert Mix | Protein Powder Recipes

This instantly kills credibility and professionalism.

Speaking of credibility, one way you could establish this at this current stage is to connect with with influencers for your target market.... so start connecting! for example, I see a lot of popular fitness enthusiastic instagram pages/youtube channels targeted at females, you could reach out to them to get reviews or even combine a joint venture negotiation to promote giveways, competitions (note: not a good idea to have competitions page on a website that has low traffic, stick this with social media instead) and special launch deals. The possibilites are endless.

Perhaps, instead of a "Free Prizes" page you have a "Free Samples" page since food products seem to work better with samples. In addition, you could include a countdown until launch on landing page and also capture emails so you can let interested prospects know about your launch.

I see that you have the strange brand name trademarked (the name is terrible, as other users have already stated).

Let's imagine that this product takes off. I see a huge issue with businesses with better branding to "steal" your concept and execute it better. What is stopping them?

Since it is not possible to patent ingredient lists or recipes.....you can only patent "new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof" as well as "novelty items" (In the US). I'm sure you already knew this... again, just food for thought to help you brainstorm....

Possible solution: Implement a form of "trade secrets" strategy, to avoid others copying and executing better; if/when successful (because someone with stronger branding and marketing will!).

Again, all this depends on your launch strategy and whether the product takes off or not.

Tdlr; at the surface level, fantastic concept but from where I'm standing....poor branding and execution.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
This thread is fcking hilarious. And props, the way you handle criticism is kind of amazing, which has me also suspecting you are some kind of android.

Anyway. I agree that 'getting stronger' is weak for this. You should use the word 'recovery' instead so you actually appear to be somebody who lifts heavy things and puts them down and then lifts them up again. Like me. WOOT WOOT. Also the advertisement looks like it was designed for somebody (man, woman or child) who would rather play with crayons in their Safe Space rather than pumping iron in the gym.

My suggestion is that you scrap the "James Cartoon" and ESPECIALLY scrap the line "James is tired of drinking protein shakes". Everybody loves protein shakes. If you don't, it's because you're an android and it clogs your inner machinery.

Also, at first glance, I thought: "Never in a million years". Why? Because nobody makes their own ice cream. I know that some fringe hippies might do it, but not anybody I know. Why? Because you can buy ready made ice cream anywhere and everybody knows that making ice cream involves some strange equipment that nobody cares enough to learn how to use. Especially considering the cost to time and effort.

But then I saw your 'how to' and, although a little rough, it made me reconsider. This stuff looks ridiculously easy to make, and unlike Jello, you don't even have to boil water. So scrap the line about Jello, and make the focus of your video the making and eating process. REALLY emphasize how easy it is, and because people don't like to do math, come up with a schedule following that 14 hour rule so people can just follow instructions. For example: Make at 10 pm, eat it after lunch the next day. Or freeze it in the morning, and eat it as your nighttime recover snack. Etc. Etc.

I think this product would be great for men and women, not just women. I already want to try eating it. I mean, even if it's not completely healthy - if it has high protein, I can allow myself to eat ice cream. The 'zero carb' people are a relatively small minority. If you can use some kind of parboiled brown rice carbs instead of sugar, that'd be best - low GI carbs.

So, emphasize recovery, taste, and how easy it is to make. And instead of that god-awful rainbows and sugar advertisement with that pussy named James (haha no offence to the real person), do something more along the lines of the Old Spice commercials with Terry Crews.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2SlCja3zo

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
I just changed the css slightly and think it looks a little cleaner with a white header and the logo a little small also:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.42.05.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.42.05.png
    564 KB · Views: 78

startinup

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jul 8, 2016
Honestly, I don't see the need...

I've been lifting for 4 years and I don't really think that protein powder tastes bad. Optimum Nutrition makes good tasting protein powder. Their "extreme chocolate milk" flavor tastes great with just cold water. They are a huge brand and are known for having good tasting protein powders.

Plus, a lot of cheaper brands are trying to make their protein powder taste better too. There is even a relatively new company Legion that makes their protein powder taste great without artificial sweeteners. Protein powder is tasting better and better, so I don't see this being something people really need...

You can already get greek yogurt ice cream bars that have decent protein content and taste really good. I crave them. They are pretty high in carbs so are basically a desert to make meal planning less painful, and you can buy them straight from the store.

For me, I'd rather stick to chicken for getting my protein content, and when I've used protein powder I've never had a problem with the taste.

I think it's an interesting idea, and one people will say sounds cool, but I'm not sure they will be willing to back that up with their cash.

This is just one lifter's opinion... If I were you, I'd do more research to find out if other bodybuilders/lifters would actually buy it. Maybe try on reddit.com/r/bodybuilding or it's little less fit brother reddit.com/r/fitness.

---

P.S. Please don't leave reviews and testimonials as the founder. It made me cringe a bit.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
That's pretty dangerous doing that. The Tai Lopez thread is usually # 3 or 4 on Google. Would be a shame if SEO ranks a thread like this at the top of google

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.