The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Tubs Progress Thread

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
I first discovered 'The Millionaire Fastlane' & 'Unscripted' a little over a year ago. Soon after I found the forums and was blown away by the wealth of knowledge here. All the notable and gold threads were filled with valuable information and there's a lot you can learn if you dig deep into other threads as well.

But in all the time since I read MJ's books and found the forum I haven't actually done anything. I did attempt to start a few ventures that I didn't honestly think through that well and ended up either resulting in action faking or just generally wasting my time and money doing some money chasing idea. And then there are a few where if I put in some honest effort I could've actually made some money and gotten some good experience, but for whatever reason I just ended up action faking and quitting pretty fast without ever doing any real work that gave results.

During this time I moved out of my parents house and went to live in a different city with some friends, I've been financially supporting myself off savings while living frugally and working on a few ultimately doomed projects. Eventually last month the money dried up and I had to actually do something to get some income to pay the rent. I ended up doing some small jobs off of craigslist and selling some stuff on ebay which covered me for then.

Thanks to the experience of almost not being able to pay rent I realized how stupid I've been acting for the last few months. Really I've been action faking and money chasing to a massive degree because I was afraid to get out of my comfort zone and actually do something to provide value, but now that's going to change.

I got myself a job as a bank teller to support myself financially, and then I began doing copywriting jobs on upwork. Currently I've made about $250 in the last two weeks from upwork and that money will either be spent on books about marketing/copywriting or saved to put into my eventual business.

I've got a direction to move in and have some concrete actionable short-term(a few weeks or months to complete) goals which I will be working towards from now on. Each time I achieve a goal I will put a new bigger goal in it's place.

• Provide value via copywriting and earn $1500 on upwork in one month.
  • Save $10,000
  • Find a business model I like and either start a business or purchase one.
  • Reach 210lbs (Currently 236lbs)

I'll be posting either weekly or monthly updates in this progress thread to talk about what I've done in that time to move the dial, no action faking bull-crap anymore. I will be consistent with this and I will make consistent progress working towards my goals.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2019
Any examples of your work?

I hire copywriters off and on for simple jobs.

OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
September 2019 Overview

This was an eventful month, I got a job as a bank teller which I started today and I began copywriting on upwork.

Upwork earnings this month: $243
Weight at end of month: 235 lbs
Savings at end of month: $0

Currently still don't have a business idea, I'm probably going to try saving up some money and buying one. For right now though my goal is to just get settled in at work, improve my copywriting skills, and grow my upwork portfolio.

Honestly I'm not really sure about this bank job, on one hand it's a chance to get out of my shell and learn about the internal workings of a bank. On the other hand it's 40 hrs a week at $15/hr when I could probably be earning more if I put that time into upwork. I figure I'll just stick around for now and probably get out once I'm financially stable and more of a proven track record of earnings from upwork. Maybe about 6 mos not 100% sure right now.

Bekit

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
Congrats on the progress! Keep up the good work!

Honestly I'm not really sure about this bank job, on one hand it's a chance to get out of my shell and learn about the internal workings of a bank. On the other hand it's 40 hrs a week at $15/hr when I could probably be earning more if I put that time into upwork. I figure I'll just stick around for now and probably get out once I'm financially stable and more of a proven track record of earnings from upwork. Maybe about 6 mos not 100% sure right now.
I had a job as a bank teller. To be honest, it was really boring work, but once you have a bank position on your resume, you can typically get another job more easily. The reason is that if you are trustworthy enough to work at a bank, you probably don't have any background check issues that are going to crop up and cause drama down the road. It's a good stepping stone to bigger things.

I'm glad you found a way to come to the summit!

OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
I had a job as a bank teller. To be honest, it was really boring work, but once you have a bank position on your resume, you can typically get another job more easily. The reason is that if you are trustworthy enough to work at a bank, you probably don't have any background check issues that are going to crop up and cause drama down the road. It's a good stepping stone to bigger things.
You can say that again. Work is very boring, but on the bright side im at a pretty laid back bank so if theres nothing to do I can get a bit of work done for my business.

QUOTE="Bekit, post: 820880, member: 59397"]
I'm glad you found a way to come to the summit!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm really happy that I'm able to go! I look forward to seeing you there!

Mutant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 8, 2018
London
Work is very boring, but on the bright side im at a pretty laid back bank so if theres nothing to do I can get a bit of work done for my business.
Oh perfect - sometimes you just need the money to keep you rolling, the shifts for the structure, the boredom to keep your fastlane motivated, and the headspace and energy to work on your own shit.

Just Don't. Get. Comfortable.

You got this :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Update: 10/9/19

Having a great week! I managed to borrow some money from my family and was able to get a ticket to the fastlane summit. I had resigned myself to not going since I didnt have any cash and had no credit to get a loan or credit card, but I decided that I could sacrifice some of my pride and I was able to get the loan from family after some explaining.

I also finally figured out a niche to start an e-commerce store in. So I'm shifting my focus from copywriting and saving money to working on that. I'll finish up my last copy job this week.

Anyways current stats

Savings: -$1760(debts)
Weight: 234.4
Oct Upwork earnings: $138.4

Boychamp

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 13, 2019
Update: 10/9/19
I had resigned myself to not going since I didnt have any cash and had no credit to get a loan or credit card, but I decided that I could sacrifice some of my pride and I was able to get the loan from family after some explaining.
Just one quick thing, since it sounds like you haven't yet. Start building your credit ASAP! I'm not a credit expert but there's plenty of online resources to help you get started. The simplest way is applying for a secured card. Having a solid credit score and credit history will end up benefitting you a lot later on and the sooner you get started, the better (especially if you plan on purchasing a business). Just be smart, pay it off entirely every month, and don't spend out of your means just because you can.

OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Update: 10/15/19

Started work on my e-commerce website. It's going pretty well. I'm aiming to launch it as soon as possible so I can start learning from the feedback loop.

Looking through manufacturers of the products I want to sell at the moment as well. I'm planning to dropship the products and I'm not 100% sure how to go about making deals with manufacturers to do that. Will have to look into. Other than that I'm also saving up to buy the domain name I want.

Current stats:
Money: $250 cash, $1760 debt, $1116 owed to me (Total: -394)
Weight: 233lbs
Oct Upwork earnings: $258.4

OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Update: 10/21/19

Site building going well. Currently making a list of manufacturers and going to get in contact with them probably next week. Should be able to buy the domain name I want by the end of the month if I can make $250 off my freelancing, moneys gonna be tight though.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Vegvisir

Contributor
Jun 17, 2019
North Dakota
I did attempt to start a few ventures that I didn't honestly think through that well and ended up either resulting in action faking or just generally wasting my time and money doing some money chasing idea. And then there are a few where if I put in some honest effort I could've actually made some money and gotten some good experience, but for whatever reason I just ended up action faking and quitting pretty fast without ever doing any real work that gave results.
Hey Tubs,

I feel like i went through the same thing when i was starting out in my early 20's trying to figure out a business. In my experience if you stick with trying to start a successful businesses its a numbers game and you will learn something from both the successes and failures.

One of the things that helped me I see you are doing is tracking your progress with metrics/numbers for income, savings, etc. The numbers don't lie and will tell you if you are moving in the right direction or not.

Keep the progress thread going and make an honest effort in the direction you are and I feel pretty confident you'll see results. Let me know if i can help in anyway.

Vegvisir

Mark Trade

Contributor
Oct 16, 2019
Sydney Australia
Just to throw a curve ball, why do you need to save up, too buy a domain name. Is this name, one that has been bought and parked, by a total clown and uses a well known company name, or a brand name. If it is, then your inviting trouble. Run Forrest, run, run as fast as you can and dont look back.

There are 242 different domain name extensions, for your proposed domain name. Surely all 242 cant be taken.??? At best, it's only going to cost you roughly $10 to register a domain for 12 months. Don't follow the .com sheep, it's been done to death, follow your gut and be different. Then you'll have a name that will stand out.

If you really want to be different, write to the Domain Net Registrar and request a new domain name extension, make one up for yourself.!!!

OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Update:

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Been pretty busy recently. Ended up shifting my business idea slightly to a product I can manufacture myself in my apartment for a relatively small amount of money.

I've made a few samples of the product itself and settled on one I like. Now Im working on the packaging, branding, and trying to get on amazon fba.

November goal:
Release product and sell one unit.

Last edited:

broswoodwork

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2015
Update:

Sorry I haven't updated ib a while. Been pretty busy recently. Ended up shifting my business idea slightly to a product I can manufacture myself in my apartment for a relatively small amount of money.

I've made a few samples of the product itself and settled on one I like. Now Im working on the packaging, branding, and trying to get on amazon fba.

November goal:
Release product and sell one unit.
Hey @Tubs . Sounds like things are coming together. Congrats!

What type of product are you making? Like what class (home good, electronic, what have you)?

OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Hey @Tubs . Sounds like things are coming together. Congrats!

What type of product are you making? Like what class (home good, electronic, what have you)?
Personal care product.

broswoodwork

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2015
Personal care product.
Can you throw an Etsy listing up and see if moves over there?

It may help shortcut your first sale while you're getting your Amazon (admittedly a superior marketplace) house sorted.

OP
OP
Tubs

Tubs

SEE YOU AT THE SUMMIT!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Can you throw an Etsy listing up and see if moves over there?

It may help shortcut your first sale while you're getting your Amazon (admittedly a superior marketplace) house sorted.
Only considering Amazon atm. I'm going to use the next few days to get read up on branding and google ads. Then once I launch on Amazon I'm going to start using google ads to build the amazon page up as my big sales source.

If I expand the brand further and get more products to sell I might make my own site for it and launch on a few other platforms. But for now I'm aiming to build only the amazon page to get my brand out there and start getting market feedback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom