The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trying to reset...Thinking about selling insurance

faromic

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Hey everyone,
It's been a while since I posted. I took a job about 4 years ago as a consultant (I'm an engineer) and the job has taken up a lot of my time. It's definitely not a 9 to 5, and they are very focused on me getting the most billable hours possible. Anyways, I've gone away from my Fastlane mindset in the last couple years, I fell into the routine of my job. I have a couple kids so I have to do what I have to do. I've tried a couple things along the way, including an online self help course. It was called "Emotional Engineering". I worked on that for a couple years and put a lot of time into it but was struggling to find the right people. I was targeting people that liked self help, getting help with depression and anxiety as best I could. In the end, I spent a lot of time and money on ads and ended up closing it up. I then tried selling on Amazon a couple years ago and had a 1.5 year run before having too many problems with my partner and differing philosophies. We were selling products that were too general in nature, with increasingly saturated markets and competition. Ever since then, I haven't taken action on anything. I've had ideas, but like I said I got away from that mindset and didn't have as many as I used to.

So I'm now thinking how to go forward. I want to make more money because my wife lost her job (company was sold and relocated). She's doing some part time stuff but it's not enough. A friend of mine has a stake in an insurance broker and I'm thinking of getting a license and beginning to sell insurance. The work I currently do is related to the insurance industry (a forensic engineer) so I can speak intelligently about buildings, etc.

I know it's not fastlane, but it is more scalable that what I do now, working for someone who always wants me to put more time in in the evenings, to satisfy hours and all my clients. At least if I sell, I have recurring commissions. Maybe in the future I can buy into an agency. I was talking with a friend and saying how I don't know if I'm crazy or what, wanting to leave engineering for something more interesting, just because I have a degree in it. Just because I have a degree doesn't mean I have to do it forever. It's also a pride thing I guess, which makes no sense. I have this degree and why would I sell insurance?

I'm not sure what other kinds of businesses to start. I have a bunch of ideas but don't have a lot of clarity on them and capital and time is an issue. With insurance I can try to sell to all my friends, family etc to start at least.

I'm just looking for input/thoughts from outside as I'm in my own head a lot with this one.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I'm an Architect that pivoted into construction. So it's doable. The pivot probably gives you a better chance early on due to your industry contacts/knowledge. The cold turkey switch can work also but has a longer timeline.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.