The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trouble Breaking Wasteful Habits

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

Deleted50669

Habits take time to break, and new habits take time to form. The degree to which you hold yourself accountable to doing something in the present, overtime, will become habits.

An example: I decided I wanted to build an app. When I made that decision, I had some awful habits. I'd come home and watch youtube videos, or chat with people, or do other unfocused things. Then one day (literally, a specific point in time) I said "right now, I'm going to start learning programming." I remember the exact moment I made that declaration. The next day, I said the same thing. And the day after. That was almost 200 days ago. Now I'm staring at an app that's almost ready to deploy. It's because I held myself accountable to action each day. It takes patience and sacrifice, because changing sucks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Recently I've come to the conclusion that I suck a$$ at making good habits, or at least I have been thus far. Largely because I didn't understand why habits are so important.

To correct this, I've started focusing on habit forming, and more pertenaint to this post, breaking bad habits. Something that has begun to give me quite a bit of trouble. Go figure, breaking addictive habits is hard.

So I uninstalled all of my video games to make it more difficult for me to play them, but I have this constant feeling that I need to go reinstall them. I justify it in my head even though I honestly believe these games have no real positive effect for me. Games can be good but not to the extent that I have become addicted to them.

Anyhow, what are your experiences with breaking bad habits? What has worked. What really doesn't work I'm your experience?

Easy, get a child locker on your computer and set it to block certain things so you can't access it, then give the recovery account email address to someone you know and get them to type in the password so you can't just type in the password yourself and get around it as you don't know the password. One that will need a password to uninstall it also.

I had the same issue but this was really effective for me.

Connor_Motivasis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 15, 2019
Tucson, AZ
Recently I've come to the conclusion that I suck a$$ at making good habits, or at least I have been thus far. Largely because I didn't understand why habits are so important.

To correct this, I've started focusing on habit forming, and more pertenaint to this post, breaking bad habits. Something that has begun to give me quite a bit of trouble. Go figure, breaking addictive habits is hard.

So I uninstalled all of my video games to make it more difficult for me to play them, but I have this constant feeling that I need to go reinstall them. I justify it in my head even though I honestly believe these games have no real positive effect for me. Games can be good but not to the extent that I have become addicted to them.

Anyhow, what are your experiences with breaking bad habits? What has worked. What really doesn't work I'm your experience?

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
At the end of the day, think of all the things you accomplished, that wouldn't have happened if you were playing video games. This should help motivate yourself to NOT reinstall these things.

Keep going !

Connor_Motivasis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 15, 2019
Tucson, AZ
Easy, get a child locker on your computer and set it to block certain things so you can't access it, then give the recovery account email address to someone you know and get them to type in the password so you can't just type in the password yourself and get around it as you don't know the password. One that will need a password to uninstall it also.

I had the same issue but this was really effective for me.
Thanks for the tip. Do you know of any specific child locks that I could look at?

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Do you write down your tasks for the day ? Like a To-Do list ?

If you're busy all day long, it's easier to forget about gaming.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.