The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Travelling VS Business

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vlavoie

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 8, 2013
Hello guys,

I have not post in a very long time, but I'm back. I will introduce myself again.

My name is Vincent, 20 years old, I live in Montreal, Canada and I am currently in Business School.
I first read The Millionaire fastlane when I was 16 years old and it opened my mind. I have read hundreds of business books since and I always cultivate my mind. I have a lot of entrepreneurship qualities and experiences. I never worked with a ''regular student job'', I always found opportunities to make money and live on it for a couple of months before starting something else again. I have never made a ton of money, but enough to live very confortable and have plenty of time for school and other activities.

Last year, I started a program where you manage a paint business for the summer. You are like a franchisee for them, they teach you everything you need to know about the paint industry. Then you need to find employee, make sales and plan production. It was a lot of work, but at the end it paid well and I was able to have a lot of free time, because I was delegating everything and it was all automated. I still had a lot of trouble with clients and a lot of stress but overall it was a great experience. I made around 80kS of sales and made about 20k$ of profit at the end of the summer.

Now I have a dilemma. They asked me if I wanted to do this again next summer and I told them that I was interested without thinking too much about it. Now that I think of it, I would really enjoy just travelling next summer and explore the world. I have a couple of friends that are willing to come with me and just travel for 5 months and do as many country and as many crazy experiences as possible. I am kind of tired of all the school, work and repetitive life here. Always seeing the same people and doing the same things, I want change and discover new things.

I would like to have your advices on this. When I did the paint business, I made so many mistakes and so many things have gone wrong and I learned so many things about entrepreneurship and life. If I do it again, I could easily double my sales and make a profit of about 60k$. I already have about 40k$ so all together would mean I could have around 100k$ to start a business or invest it somewhere else. Considering I am 20 years old, it is a big sum for me.

So what do you guys think of this? Should I just develop my business skills and make a nice amount of money or just travel and get as many experience as possible while I'm young and slow down my entrepreneurship path?

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia
I tend to think this is the kind of question you really have to figure out for yourself.

I'm more than twice your age so I'd be inclined to say, go travel and see the world while you're young. You can always make more money.

If possible, make it a work and travel journey. I lived / worked / travelled around Europe for almost 4 years when I was younger and I came back with some great memories, a lot of life experience and a lot more money than what I left with.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
if you have an opportunity and a clear plan to make 5mil by 30, I'd go for it.

Otherwise I'd mix and match, doing nomad lifestyle - but you must have discipline to do this.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
I find it easier to travel with my family than I do to work 80hr weeks. Food for thought.

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Sounds like an interesting program! I'd like to hear more about it... I would say do it again and then travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Why don't you travel some now then come back for this job if it doesn't start till next summer?

Then, by the end of the summer you will have a nice fat bank account and can carry on with your travels. You are not going to be making that sort of money tending bar in Sydney, London or Paris so grab it while you have the opportunity.

Vlavoie

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 8, 2013
if you have an opportunity and a clear plan to make 5mil by 30, I'd go for it.

Otherwise I'd mix and match, doing nomad lifestyle - but you must have discipline to do this.

I dont have a clear plan to go 5M$ by my 30, but I want to start a business in 2-3 years maximum from now. I also think travelling can help me with that, discover new things and seeing the world from another perspective.

I'm more than twice your age so I'd be inclined to say, go travel and see the world while you're young. You can always make more money.

That's exactly why I am in a dilemma right now. It is a good opportunity, but I know I'll have others and plenty of time to make more money.
Why don't you travel some now then come back for this job if it doesn't start till next summer?

I'm in college right now and want to finish my degree. Here in Canada it costs almost nothing and I am in a very good school, so it's worth it for me to stay.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Do what you were already doing last year: automate and delegate everything.

Then go on a long trip.

It enlarges your world and if you're a real entrepreneur, you will come back and see more opportunities than ever before.

Last edited:

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
I am kind of tired of all the school, work and repetitive life here. Always seeing the same people and doing the same things, I want change and discover new things.

DO IT! Don't even think twice, go travel.
Whenever I was in a similar situation, feeling tired, overwhelmed and bored, the not allowing myself to take breaks and travel and all the prolonged forced work would only result in depression and in retrospect, wasted time (the results were poor and I would end up burned out).
And you might never had the chance to travel with those friends again. Life happens. So live the life man.

And by the way, it's funny because I met some people from Montreal who do exactly this business. Isn't it Seb or Jean-Francois? :D (I now, Montreal is a big city, but that would be an interesting coincidence)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I wonder how OP's life turned out 5 years later. Would be interesting to hear.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.