The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tools to work remotely.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I'm vacationing in Ireland for three weeks in June. I was thinking about buying a netbook or some such to be able to connect to and work thru my home computer while I'm away. Any recommendations on hardware & software? My home computer is a PC running Windows 8.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'm vacationing in Ireland for three weeks in June. I was thinking about buying a netbook or some such to be able to connect to and work thru my home computer while I'm away. Any recommendations on hardware & software? My home computer is a PC running Windows 8.

Windows Remote Desktop, free from Microsoft, should be all you need. It will be slow, maybe about a fifth the speed of working directly at the machine, much worse for anything video intensive like gaming or video editing.

I suggest you get the laptop before you leave home, so you can make sure the connection works and troubleshoot any issues.

You'll need to set up the desktop machine to accept your remote login, your router to allow remote desktop requests to come in from the Internet, and your laptop to make that remote request.

I recommend a laptop rather than netbook if you can spare the price, size and weight (which isn't much for basic laptops these days). A laptop is a lot more powerful so you can do some of your work locally in Ireland, rather than having to run everything through the home machine.

If you don't have cloud storage account, it might be nice to get one before you go so you can park some useful files and work in progress in the cloud, and access them from Ireland.

Do a web search on something like "how to set up Remote Desktop for Windows 8" and you should get plenty of good tips.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.