The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tomorrow is not Guaranteed..

Anything related to matters of the mind

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
(This is a long one, so Ill give you all a warning before I bore anyone... :rofl: )

I know the importance of time is something most of the people surfing THIS site are probably aware of, but I wanted to share a thought-provoking conversation I had with my Father this Sunday that truly made me reflect on something many of us take for granted.

I don’t think I have ever talked about it on this site, but my Father is very, very ill. When I was a teenager, he suffered complete kidney failure and a slew of health problems that accompanied it. He has fought off cancer, calcification in all of his joints, and has been in and out of hospitals at least a few times a week for the last 10 years. Formerly built like a bodybuilder at 5’10â€, I watched a very proud man lose all of his hair and almost 40% of his bodyweight, becoming a very frail 130lbs. He very slowly began to recluse from almost everyone, and has had a hard time dealing with the fact that he worked hard to stay healthy all of his life, and hard to support his family only to get dealt a hand like this.

Very recently, his right leg became infected and having no other choice, they were forced to amputate it at the knee. As a well-known youth soccer and wrestling coach in our town, I think that was the last straw for him, as finding out he would never walk normally again was like a death sentence. He has remained strong since the surgery, but has seemed to give up emotionally now when my twin sister and I talk to him. (To make matters worse, WHILE he was in the hospital having his leg removed, his small apartment in Easton, PA was robbed and torn apart). To say he almost called it quits at that point would have been an understatement, and I think the only thing that held him up during that month was the support of our friends and family, and strangers across the country that came through for him.

Anyways, while the three of us were out to dinner, the conversation turned to how things were going in our jobs, and he began asking us about how we were planning for the future, what kinds of investments we were making, how things were going with my new rental property, etc. After a while, he seemed to start reflecting a little bit, and he started telling my sister and I how important it is to never take time for granted, and to always prepare yourself for what “could†happen. He mentioned how all his life, he had made money so easily doing different things on the side, that he always took it for granted. All his life, he had the drive of an entrepreneur in that it never “TRULY†scared him to think of starting at ZERO again, because he was sure he could rebuild from almost any starting point. He had developed an ego if you will about his talents, and knew that he could ALWAYS figure out a way to make money if he had to and that someday, ONE of his ideas was going to take off big time.

He ended the conversation with this; WHILE he was living life with that mindset, he never even FATHOMED the thought that a medical problem could wipe him off the map, and that he may never be able to work again or have the strength to rebuild things again. Because of this, he neglected to do a lot of things that adults in their 20’s-30’s, 40’s and 50’s take very seriously. He never planned ahead. He never worried about retirement or investing, or how important each and every day is while you are healthy. He never worried about long-term wealth or wealth building “machines†that could provide passive income into old age. It was all about the present time, and while focusing on his career and trying to take care of our family, he was unaware that fate was about to deal him a very cruel card.

I only take the time to type this to you guys, because it reminded me so much about things I have read on this forum (such as MJ’s thread about “being born richâ€). So many of us take for granted the thought that tomorrow will always be there, when in fact, “NOW†is all you are guaranteed in life. After seeing this unfold in my own eyes through my Father, I know now just how true that message is…

Take care of yourself guys. Think TODAY about what you are doing to live a better life, and what ELSE could you be doing to accelerate things! Don’t wait to take that next step, or to put your dreams on the map. :)

-Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
So many of us take for granted the thought that tomorrow will always be there, when in fact, “NOW†is all you are guaranteed in life.

So true. Rep+ for the story.

It seems so often that when we read of personal tragedies we look at our lives and decide "tomorrow" we will make that change. And then the next morning we wake up and do the same things we did yesterday.

I hope for only the best for your father and your family.

Andy

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I did the Relay for Life cancer walk 2 weeks ago. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Relay for Life program, it's a 24 hour walk in support of those who survived cancer and for the memory of those who didn't. This was my first time doing this event, and I have to say it was unexpectedly really intense.

I had stocked my ipod with podcasts thinking that I could learn something while I was walking in a big circle for hours on end. When I got there, I found the track lit up with luminaries in memory of those who passed away- the walk quickly became so much more than repeatedly walking in a big circle. I put my ipod back in my pocket and drank in all the emotions that were around me. I had to try really, really hard not to cry when a 10 year little boy led the parade for survivors. He was recovering from cancer that he got when he was 6. You can't help but ask yourself "why?". All night long I asked myself that question.

Every lap became a meditation on life. I was SO tired and in pain, but was so thrilled to feel that way, because it meant I was alive. I took the time to just give thanks and to bask in how precious life is. Reading the luminaries and watching the candles inside of them flicker and sometime go out, I was left with an overwhelming feeling of responsibility to live my life to the fullest and to turn my dreams into actions.

There are no guarantees in life. Today is what you make of it and tomorrrow never comes. ++rep for your great insights Mike- and I am so extremely sorry to hear about your dad.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Very good post. I've been there. When you come face to face with reality like this, it teaches you what life is really about. Time. It's really hard to convince people that wealth is not about money. Wealth exists in your mind, period. And your balance sheet, your assets, the quality of your life are only reflections of the value you place on your time.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Thank you very much guys. :)

yveskleinsky,
That sounds like an amazing (albeit sad) and very moving experience, Ill have to look into walking in one of those in the future. My Mom lost her best friend to breast cancer when I was a teenager, so that story hits home with me. Thank you for posting. :)

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Great post! Really enjoyed reading it. The best thing about this story is how you've used the situation as motivation and to learn. Most would probably cry and become depressed but you've used it for the total opposite. Good work! Keep it up! Strive for more each day.

-Andrew

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Mike-

Great insights. As much as it may hurt to see your dad go through this, you are so, so lucky to have a dad that can communicate these things to you and your sibs. Many fathers work like crazy, try to set a good example, but can never seem to put into words the wisdom they want to pass on to their kids. I speak from experience here, as a son of a dad who loves me very much, but can't express his emotions or thoughts to me. Which is a pity, as he's a pretty cool guy.

Our family (incl our little 22 mo old) did a walk for awareness for Pancreatic Cancer this past Saturday. My wife actually created/founded the walk, in honor of her mom who passed away from Pancreatic Cancer just a few months after I first met her (first diagnosis to last breath was exactly 7 weeks). Talk about living each day.

That's what we do. It's also what my wife's dad did, after he lost his wife of 49 years (she passed just shy of their 50th wedding anniversary). It's a really great thing he lived this way, too. Because less than 2 years after he lost his sweetheart, he was diagnosed w/Colon Cancer, and given a year to live.

We again pretty much dropped what we were doing to spend every moment w/him. And we're glad we did-- his cancer had actually spread to his kidneys and he also had lung cancer that had spread to his brain. So he also passed away in a very short time (he died a week before the walk in honor of Sharon's Mom).

The same month that Sharon's mom passed, I lost my uncle and almost lost my dad (dad was driving, uncle was sitting next to him when a car on the freeway jumped the barrier and hit them head on).

It's easy to get caught up on the "loss" side of these events.

We haven't.

Each day, we celebrate life.

Being innkeepers makes that easy, as everyone who comes to stay at our B&B is doing much the same thing-- celebrating a birthday, or an anniversary, or a special friendship, or even a honeymoon or engagement!

All very cool stuff.

And all to remind us that, when it's all over, it's not how long you lived that counts.

It's how you lived.

-Russ H.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Great post, thanks for sharing your stories Russ. My heart goes out to you for the loved ones youve lost, but as you said, I am glad you were able to take so much away from it. :) Shared insight like that from members makes this forum as great as it is.

All the best-Mike

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks to everyone for sharing these personal stories... it is this lesson that really matters.... We can talk about how to build an e-biz or invest in real estate all day long, but what good is it if you don't live ?

I sit on the "other" side of the isle - as I am a cancer survivor myself. It is very heartwarming to hear about people doing some reflection and deciding to live a full life because of an illness or loss of a loved one.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
so people here think that everything will be fine for ever

we just have to focus on being a millionaire because " the conditions in society will be fine for ever "

success is not about us but about the society in wich we live.

if people don't have money to buy your stuff or don't trust anybody anymore or are dead ,then no amount of positibe thinking or strategy of " gold topics " here will help you

people are focused on the details : their wants, their life ,detached from external conditions

whereas they should focus on the global reality in which they live to understand how to escape the hard times that are at the door.

the reality is that we are at the end of the good times ( since 1945)

this topic is from 2008 . 10 years ago

10 years from now, in 2028 i promise you this forum won't exist anymore because of the new conditions in society

so here's the deal

on september 24 , 2028 , if this forum still exists and everything is fine in society

then i ask you to insult me on this topic for what i have just said . and i am serious

you will say " it is september 24 , 2028 . society is fine . you are a son of a B**** "

but

if everything in society went wrong as i predicted 10 years before , then i ask you to apologize before intelligence and Masterminds who understand life

" it is septembrer 24, 2028 . this country is destroyed, that french guy was right "

i am serious

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
life is a game with masters and total naive people

and the problem is that 95 % of people are in that category of " total naive people "

so , to make the point, here is a picture

black resigned because this is mate in one

this is mate in 7 from the beginning of the game

this is unaceptable

this is you guys in the game called " society " because there are masters above you who play to win the game of money, energy , control power and so on

i promise you guys, in the next 10 years, you will feel the power of the Grand Masters of the game

guaranteed

game.png

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

and the problem is that 95 % of people are in that category of " total naive people "

this is unaceptable

this is you guys in the game called " society " because there are masters above you who play to win the game of money, energy , control power and so on

i promise you guys, in the next 10 years, you will feel the power of the Grand Masters of the game

guaranteed

View attachment 21816

Have to say, while your posts are considered the most bizzare in the forum, I find myself agreeing with a lot of things you mentioned. We should always keep an open mind, and the things you talk of might happen some day.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
(This is a long one, so Ill give you all a warning before I bore anyone... :rofl: )

I know the importance of time is something most of the people surfing THIS site are probably aware of, but I wanted to share a thought-provoking conversation I had with my Father this Sunday that truly made me reflect on something many of us take for granted.

I don’t think I have ever talked about it on this site, but my Father is very, very ill. When I was a teenager, he suffered complete kidney failure and a slew of health problems that accompanied it. He has fought off cancer, calcification in all of his joints, and has been in and out of hospitals at least a few times a week for the last 10 years. Formerly built like a bodybuilder at 5’10â€, I watched a very proud man lose all of his hair and almost 40% of his bodyweight, becoming a very frail 130lbs. He very slowly began to recluse from almost everyone, and has had a hard time dealing with the fact that he worked hard to stay healthy all of his life, and hard to support his family only to get dealt a hand like this.

Very recently, his right leg became infected and having no other choice, they were forced to amputate it at the knee. As a well-known youth soccer and wrestling coach in our town, I think that was the last straw for him, as finding out he would never walk normally again was like a death sentence. He has remained strong since the surgery, but has seemed to give up emotionally now when my twin sister and I talk to him. (To make matters worse, WHILE he was in the hospital having his leg removed, his small apartment in Easton, PA was robbed and torn apart). To say he almost called it quits at that point would have been an understatement, and I think the only thing that held him up during that month was the support of our friends and family, and strangers across the country that came through for him.

Anyways, while the three of us were out to dinner, the conversation turned to how things were going in our jobs, and he began asking us about how we were planning for the future, what kinds of investments we were making, how things were going with my new rental property, etc. After a while, he seemed to start reflecting a little bit, and he started telling my sister and I how important it is to never take time for granted, and to always prepare yourself for what “could†happen. He mentioned how all his life, he had made money so easily doing different things on the side, that he always took it for granted. All his life, he had the drive of an entrepreneur in that it never “TRULY†scared him to think of starting at ZERO again, because he was sure he could rebuild from almost any starting point. He had developed an ego if you will about his talents, and knew that he could ALWAYS figure out a way to make money if he had to and that someday, ONE of his ideas was going to take off big time.

He ended the conversation with this; WHILE he was living life with that mindset, he never even FATHOMED the thought that a medical problem could wipe him off the map, and that he may never be able to work again or have the strength to rebuild things again. Because of this, he neglected to do a lot of things that adults in their 20’s-30’s, 40’s and 50’s take very seriously. He never planned ahead. He never worried about retirement or investing, or how important each and every day is while you are healthy. He never worried about long-term wealth or wealth building “machines†that could provide passive income into old age. It was all about the present time, and while focusing on his career and trying to take care of our family, he was unaware that fate was about to deal him a very cruel card.

I only take the time to type this to you guys, because it reminded me so much about things I have read on this forum (such as MJ’s thread about “being born richâ€). So many of us take for granted the thought that tomorrow will always be there, when in fact, “NOW†is all you are guaranteed in life. After seeing this unfold in my own eyes through my Father, I know now just how true that message is…

Take care of yourself guys. Think TODAY about what you are doing to live a better life, and what ELSE could you be doing to accelerate things! Don’t wait to take that next step, or to put your dreams on the map. :)

-Mike
The realizations of ones death is perhaps the most important thing we can do in iur daily lives. It keeps us out of toxic situations and gives us motivation to live a full life that is true to US and no one else. Why stay in a job you hate if you know your going to die? Why hold back what you truly want to say to that girl if you know you aee going to die? Why not achhiever your wildest dreams if you know you aee going to die? This is it boys. Nothing else. All this will end. All that matters is the flash that you left behin.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
The realizations of ones death is perhaps the most important thing we can do in iur daily lives. It keeps us out of toxic situations and gives us motivation to live a full life that is true to US and no one else. Why stay in a job you hate if you know your going to die? Why hold back what you truly want to say to that girl if you know you aee going to die? Why not achhiever your wildest dreams if you know you aee going to die? This is it boys. Nothing else. All this will end. All that matters is the flash that you left behin.
This is my fear of licing forever. If we live forever, why wouldnt we just go for instant gratification? Norhing bad will happen.why wouldnt we go to war? we are here forever so lets fight it out because it is our turf! Death breeds all that is good in life.

bilkar1985

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Sep 4, 2018
Greece
so people here think that everything will be fine for ever

we just have to focus on being a millionaire because " the conditions in society will be fine for ever "

success is not about us but about the society in wich we live.

if people don't have money to buy your stuff or don't trust anybody anymore or are dead ,then no amount of positibe thinking or strategy of " gold topics " here will help you

people are focused on the details : their wants, their life ,detached from external conditions

whereas they should focus on the global reality in which they live to understand how to escape the hard times that are at the door.

the reality is that we are at the end of the good times ( since 1945)

this topic is from 2008 . 10 years ago

10 years from now, in 2028 i promise you this forum won't exist anymore because of the new conditions in society

so here's the deal

on september 24 , 2028 , if this forum still exists and everything is fine in society

then i ask you to insult me on this topic for what i have just said . and i am serious

you will say " it is september 24 , 2028 . society is fine . you are a son of a B**** "

but

if everything in society went wrong as i predicted 10 years before , then i ask you to apologize before intelligence and Masterminds who understand life

" it is septembrer 24, 2028 . this country is destroyed, that french guy was right "

i am serious

in 10, 20 and 100 years from now, just like 10,20 and 100 years back, you will be wealthy if you provide value and if you solve problems for others. Wealthy in mind and in pockets..
I really don't understand your posting here in a thread 10 years back by a member who writes about a very close person to him. I see this as a "private" subforum and you are either spaming or trolling or both.

Go back to your timemachine and post again for planet Earth in 2018. And learn to RESPECT others!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014

this is unaceptable

guaranteed

View attachment 21816
I'm still not understanding what your point is. There will always be people who are better than you - what can you do about it? What do you recommend? Remove yourself from "society"?

Aldous Acker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 13, 2018
It is a great post and it teaches us about the mental satisfaction that is not related with the wealth and you should enjoy the life as deeply as you can. Nature gives you the inner peace!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.