The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time Tracking Software recommendations

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Hello All,

I have been on a constant hunt over a month now for a time management tool for my upcoming startup. Tracking and reporting business process is underestimated in my current organization. The need to implement best practices, ensure the potential changes and deal with issues encountered is the ultimate goal.

Our need - Clock-in, time off booking, tracking time spent on projects, resource allocation, Bill the clients based on time spent and expense management along with remote login, app based and offline update feature. Not sure if analytics is necessary.

Would the tool answer these:

What are we actually working on?
How much should we bill our customer?
How much are we investing in a project?
Which of our current projects are losers that we should stop working on?
Which of our current projects are winners that we should invest in?
What resources will I need to complete a project like this?
How long does it really take for us to complete a project like this?
Which of our projects are profitable?
Which of our customers are profitable?
Where are the bottlenecks in our operations?
How far off are our work estimates?
How much should we pay each employee?

Please point out the points you think I might need to consider and share all your suggestions based on the experience with the tools that you have been using.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

gusjosue

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 15, 2015
Guadalajara
Hi Kevin,
I would recommend contract a Project Manager, PMP certified for this case. Software and tools like MS project, Asana, but non of these or similar will give you such detailed information and also consider the effort to load all information to have the expected outcomes, the PMI methodology will give you the difference between a project or a program, and best practices to set up a Project Management Office.
A questions here
What kind of startup is? digital, hardware..
What would be the size of your startup, small, medium?
How many human resources will be?
How many projects will be managed?

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Hi Kevin,
I would recommend contract a Project Manager, PMP certified for this case. Software and tools like MS project, Asana, but non of these or similar will give you such detailed information and also consider the effort to load all information to have the expected outcomes, the PMI methodology will give you the difference between a project or a program, and best practices to set up a Project Management Office.
A questions here
What kind of startup is? digital, hardware..
What would be the size of your startup, small, medium?
How many human resources will be?
How many projects will be managed?

Guchi Thank you for the reply.

What kind of startup is? Cloud based software similar to DropBox for IT companies.
What would be the size of your startup, small, medium? Small
How many human resources will be? 30 people upfront
How many projects will be managed? This needs sometime to be answered.

Gabriel.Costa

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 10, 2015
I use and recommend this one called Time Tracking by primaERP: http://www.primaerp.com

It does pretty much what you described (track time according to client, project, task, activity or any combination of those), provides good reports and creates bills.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Thank you Gabriel! I will have the team give it a shot.
We are currently trying out the free-trial version of Replicon - Time Attend www.replicon.com
Have any of you tried this before? Please let me know you're thoughts.

gusjosue

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 15, 2015
Guadalajara
I took a look at both

primaERP looks like a peoplesoft web time tracking, attendance to billing tool, but only Android mobile version

The replicon has both iOS and Android which gives advatange for both platforms, I will go for Replicon, after some days please share your user experience on it.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
I took a look at both

primaERP looks like a peoplesoft web time tracking, attendance to billing tool, but only Android mobile version

The replicon has both iOS and Android which gives advatange for both platforms, I will go for Replicon, after some days please share your user experience on it.

Sure Guchi.

Am looking forward to try a few free apps as well for iOS and Android. If these simple time logger and task update tool can help, we are ready to handle the rest for quite sometime.

Robert_Sav

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 8, 2015
Hi Kevin,

This is how Yaware.TimeTracker can cover your needs in time tracking app:

What are we actually working on? - yes, you can see in real time, what apps are being used, and websites are being opened.
How much should we bill our customer? - it shows productive time spent at the computer, which you can use for billing customer
How much are we investing in a project? - no, there is no such feature
Which of our current projects are losers that we should stop working on? - no, it does not track projects. But still you can see how long it takes to finish a task. It allows to set realistic deadlines.
Which of our current projects are winners that we should invest in? - no, it does not track projects
What resources will I need to complete a project like this? - you can see what resources were used to complete previous tasks, as a result you can use the same ones for new project.
How long does it really take for us to complete a project like this? - it records time spent on apps and websites, related and not related to work. Hence, it is possible to sum them and get the time needed to complete project.
Which of our projects are profitable? - no, it does not track projects.
Which of our customers are profitable? - no it does not track customers.
Where are the bottlenecks in our operations? - you can see where the time goes, and eliminate time eaters. In addition, you can which tools are not used, but you are paying for them.
How far off are our work estimates? - sure, this app will show productive time spent working.
How much should we pay each employee? - sure, you can choose if you pay your employees only for productive time, or for neutral and unproductive as well. (Yaware.TimeTracker categorizes all resources into three groups: productive (related to work), neutral (less related to work or unknown) and unproductive (not related to work). You can change the productivity status for different resources, as well as add new ones to its database).
There is a 14 day trial, so you can check the service, if it meets your requirements.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Hi Kevin,

This is how Yaware.TimeTracker can cover your needs in time tracking app:

What are we actually working on? - yes, you can see in real time, what apps are being used, and websites are being opened.
How much should we bill our customer? - it shows productive time spent at the computer, which you can use for billing customer
How much are we investing in a project? - no, there is no such feature
Which of our current projects are losers that we should stop working on? - no, it does not track projects. But still you can see how long it takes to finish a task. It allows to set realistic deadlines.
Which of our current projects are winners that we should invest in? - no, it does not track projects
What resources will I need to complete a project like this? - you can see what resources were used to complete previous tasks, as a result you can use the same ones for new project.
How long does it really take for us to complete a project like this? - it records time spent on apps and websites, related and not related to work. Hence, it is possible to sum them and get the time needed to complete project.
Which of our projects are profitable? - no, it does not track projects.
Which of our customers are profitable? - no it does not track customers.
Where are the bottlenecks in our operations? - you can see where the time goes, and eliminate time eaters. In addition, you can which tools are not used, but you are paying for them.
How far off are our work estimates? - sure, this app will show productive time spent working.
How much should we pay each employee? - sure, you can choose if you pay your employees only for productive time, or for neutral and unproductive as well. (Yaware.TimeTracker categorizes all resources into three groups: productive (related to work), neutral (less related to work or unknown) and unproductive (not related to work). You can change the productivity status for different resources, as well as add new ones to its database).
There is a 14 day trial, so you can check the service, if it meets your requirements.

Robert, Thank you for taking time to answer each of my questions! :)
I am signing up for the free trial now. Much appreciate you're help.

harryvent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
May 13, 2016
I've been using Apptivo for managing my business process. It assists to keep track of accounts, customers, easy billing/invoice generation, project management. Reason for switched onto this tool is ideal to use and cost effective. Try to connect them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.