The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time to jump ship?

Kiux

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 8, 2014
Very quickly, Since joining this forum in September, i quit my job and started freelancing and "being my own boss", turns out it pays more, allows me to spend more time doing the things i enjoy and lets me be a little more creative as i don't have to work under someone elses framework.

So whats the problem? the problem is I'm simply comfortable, and i dont want to be, like many of you, i want to make a real change in this world, however in my currently line of work i cannot find any ways to do that, allow me to share with you my professional skills.

I design and build environments in virtual space, a bit like what you see in video games, except for real world architecture, they use these types of things to see what something will look like before its built, or for marketing purposes,

I can 3d model anything (real-time game engines, or prerendered), i can create a fully realistic highly detailed car model, human head, the entire room your sitting in, i can create it in 3d and make it look photo realistic, that's what im paid to do and im very good at it.

The trouble is, aside from using my skills to create a video game (which im doing on the side with a small team of artists from major games companies). Or hiring employees to do my work for me, i have no idea how to use my skills to create a fastlane business, with 3d printing coming up, computers becoming cheaper, virtual reality headsets etc i have been trying hard to come up with an idea but i got nothing,

I love what i do, and would never fully leave it, i would keep it as a hobby, but i think its time to jump ship, take Mj's advice and give the market what it needs, screw my skills, learn new ones if need be, unless you guys have any ideas on how to make use of my skills?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kiux

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 8, 2014
Have you tested if there's a need in the market for people who want to learn your specific trade?

Why not test the waters and teach what you do to others as your niche?

If it pays, I don't see why it can't be automated and fastlane- video tutorial membership etc

You raise a good point, and i have thought about this, but i've seen others try this and fail, there is just too much information out there readily available online for people who wish to learn it, of course it'll take many many years to get very good at it, but to get stuck in, you need only to visit you tube, or browse any of the large pirate based websites dedicated to my field. What im doing at the moment, is using game engines to develop apps for specific types of companies, unfortunately there isn't a huge need for this, on top of that i still have to customize the app a fair bit for each and every company, so its still exchanging time for money unfortunately.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
There are a million people teaching readily available things on the internet nowadays and still making millions.

Is there anyway you can differentiate the competition?

Is there a way you can create a software that completely automates YOU out of the equation?

Is there a need for people in YOUR industry that you can appeal to? Notice hassles and inconvenience? Can you create a solution for yourself that you can see others in your specific field using?

Kiux

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 8, 2014
There are a million people teaching readily available things on the internet nowadays and still making millions.

Is there anyway you can differentiate the competition?

Is there a way you can create a software that completely automates YOU out of the equation?

Is there a need for people in YOUR industry that you can appeal to? Notice hassles and inconvenience? Can you create a solution for yourself that you can see others in your specific field using?

Thanks for your reply,

Can i create a software that automates me out of the equation? unfortunately not, every project is specific and unique, aside from hiring employees this just isn't doable.

Can i create a solution for myself that i can see others in the field using? its a good question, i'll have to think about this one long and hard.

Is there any way i can differentiate myself from the competition? i just got an idea!! even if it doesn't make me lots of money, its worth putting out there for the community, I'm thinking templates rather than tutorials. but in all honesty, it would just be my own spin, this stuff is still already out there, i will just be packaging it in a different way.

Kiux

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 8, 2014
Some other ideas currently running through my head.

Start a 3D printing website, of some sort.

Design products in 3D and sell the idea to company's collecting royalty on each sale.

Last edited:

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
People buy homes, they want to see how they will look.

Why not create a full 3d model, of the inside and outside, put virtual reality headset on their heads, and give them a tour?

This is what I would do if heck I had the talent for design etc :)

Kiux

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 8, 2014

Why not create a full 3d model, of the inside and outside, put virtual reality headset on their heads, and give them a tour?

Hey Koska,

Yep, ive started doing this, not as big of a market, but i have been doing it for a few clients and they love it, but its not fastlane unfortunately, it still involves me sitting down for hours n hours on end, each and every time.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Hey Koska,

Yep, ive started doing this, not as big of a market, but i have been doing it for a few clients and they love it, but its not fastlane unfortunately, it still involves me sitting down for hours n hours on end, each and every time.

This can be also applied to some other areas. I'm not sure if you can really automate that to make it Fastlane..

D

Deleted21961

Remember "Game Programming Gems", "GPU Gems", "Graphics Gems" and so on?
Organize an elite, high-end periodical "best tricks from 3D artists" publication.
Or maybe other one, cheaper, "tricks of rapid modelling for indie game devs". Or something other, who knows.
If you have knowledge and skills, what you now need are:
1) Very smooth, entertaining and valuable execution that people will easily understand;
2) Skill to sell it.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville

came here to say this exact example.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Very quickly, Since joining this forum in September, i quit my job and started freelancing and "being my own boss", turns out it pays more, allows me to spend more time doing the things i enjoy and lets me be a little more creative as i don't have to work under someone elses framework.

So whats the problem? the problem is I'm simply comfortable, and i dont want to be, like many of you, i want to make a real change in this world, however in my currently line of work i cannot find any ways to do that, allow me to share with you my professional skills.

I design and build environments in virtual space, a bit like what you see in video games, except for real world architecture, they use these types of things to see what something will look like before its built, or for marketing purposes,

I can 3d model anything (real-time game engines, or prerendered), i can create a fully realistic highly detailed car model, human head, the entire room your sitting in, i can create it in 3d and make it look photo realistic, that's what im paid to do and im very good at it.

The trouble is, aside from using my skills to create a video game (which im doing on the side with a small team of artists from major games companies). Or hiring employees to do my work for me, i have no idea how to use my skills to create a fastlane business, with 3d printing coming up, computers becoming cheaper, virtual reality headsets etc i have been trying hard to come up with an idea but i got nothing,

I love what i do, and would never fully leave it, i would keep it as a hobby, but i think its time to jump ship, take Mj's advice and give the market what it needs, screw my skills, learn new ones if need be, unless you guys have any ideas on how to make use of my skills?

You can't teach or hire people like you and remove the tedious labor from your day to day?

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Sell shovels man. Create your own 3d models and sell them to the millions of wannabe game developers.

There are guys making a killing doing this on the unity asset store, and half of them aren't very good.

You could use the unity store or do your own thing. You could link back to your site where you sell high end custom models.

I think you could do a lot with your talents.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
You may have already identified an outlet - "Time to jump ship?" You know who buys a lot of 3d printed objects - boat owners. Specifically - the US Navy. Become world class at helping people visualize things that have/haven't been built. I know of several businesses that do this (but none have applied fastlane principles).

Scale - worldwide. Governments, mega yacht builders, mega yacht owners. Then add aircraft, spacecraft. Be the guy the Smithsonian calls when they want a model.

Time - Once you build one, hit print again and sell it to the consumer market.

Jess Elkins

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 17, 2016
Some other ideas currently running through my head.

Start a 3D printing website, of some sort.

Design products in 3D and sell the idea to company's collecting royalty on each sale.

Starting a 3d printing website could be a great idea but, for 3d metal printing you need to take efforts to learn the technologies associated with it, which includes Slm, Dlm, and many other. To get more information about 3d metal printing you can search for various sites like http://www.atlanticprecision.com/ ,3d printingscene and many other.

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
The easiest way with the best returns (probably, didn't research your specific market) is the mediapreneur standard route:

1. Put free content out there that gets you authority and builds you an audience (preferably a 3 part video series a la The Product Launch Formula by Jeff Walker)
  2. Create 3 tiers of a "how to become a kickass 3D Artist" video course (Fundamentals, Advanced, Mastery) which is super results oriented
  3. Put a super premium price on there (1k+ for the cheapest version - probably)
  4. Watch yourself getting rich

Now, you know your market best, so you instinctively know if this is a good idea or not.

Wanna try it out now?

Read what I've written again and watch yourself thoroughly.

Does your mind say "this is logical and should make me good money" but your emotions say "urrrgh... somehow... no"?

If so, then this route is probably a good idea for you. You will feel many emotional blocks during your journey, this is simply part of the work.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
Interesting. Let´s see what you can come up with.
Think about what market to serve and how to serve it. As you may know, the game industry is very competitive. However you have an advantage of having secured revenue, so you can explore several needs in the market(if oyu want to stay there).
Websites that help people find jobs or workshops are all entrepreneurial and if you can find a need similar to this, then you are fastlaning.

Demigod

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 5, 2016
Have you tested if there's a need in the market for people who want to learn your specific trade?

Why not test the waters and teach what you do to others as your niche?

If it pays, I don't see why it can't be automated and fastlane- video tutorial membership etc

This concept of fastlane video intrigued me to ask:

How can it be done?

DBXI

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 24, 2015
I know a large furniture manufacturer that has a team of devs mocking up 3D environments and showing prospective customers what their office would look like with "XYZ Furniture" inside it. I've seen it and it's pretty sweet. You could spin up a consultancy that drops people on the ground or remote and helps businesses sell their products through VR mockups.

DBXI

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 24, 2015
Side note. VR really is the future for media / gaming. If you guys haven't tried it DO IT NOW it's mind blowing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.