The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time to claim back those wasted years!

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Hi from the UK!

I'm 29, always had big dreams when I was younger. All my life I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but medical circumstances conspired to make that or anything similar impossible. So, not having any idea of what else I wanted to do with my life, I went out into the world doing various odd temp jobs and - long story short - ended up working in recruitment. Being from a welfare family and not raised with any particular goals, entrepreneurship had never even entered my frame of reference. Fortunately managed to avoid the university trap at least.

I loved the job. I believed with every fibre of my being in the value of the work and, for a good while, actually looked forward to Mondays. I read everything, implemented what I had learned, and was fortunate enough to be trained by a superb company amongst an industry widely slated (largely correctly, IMO) for its lack of ethics and service delivery.

I stayed with that company for a few years, then decided to move on and try different areas as it was getting a bit stale. Since, had three jobs in two years - and a short stint in between working for myself at home with a VoIP phone, spreadsheets, virtual office address and Outlook 365. Unfortunately I couldn't keep that up due to cashflow - I sadly had no clue about how to actually use my money until recently, and I still owe £10,000 in credit card payments and vehicle finance, one paycheque away from broke.

And then it dawned on me...

Join new company > launch into it with enthusiasm for six months > get results > get bored and can't face having to go back and repeat the same tedious process all over again. Totally lost the love for it. As my eyes have been opened from reading TMF and various other entrepreneurial havens of the internet and book world, I no longer believe in the employment system. How can I devote the rest of my life to placing people in corporations, if I don't truly believe in "furthering one's career" as an optimal means of self-improvement?

I have also come to loathe the never-ending circular grind of calling hundreds of companies to win projects, then the massive undertaking of delivering that business, only to take a tiny percentage of the enormous fees and be back to square one again. And the ignorance of my overlords in insisting that relentless cold calling is the best and only marketing strategy. Maybe it was 20 years ago. More calls. More appointments. More projects. None of it leads anywhere or builds anything. No big reward, only the onerous restrictive covenants that ensure the company retains all future benefit of my work. The company does essentially the same thing as dozens of other companies do, in an ever-shrinking and ever-more commoditised market.

Most of all, I loathe feeling like a slave as I now do. And being surrounded by other people who have been beaten down into slave-dom; they hate it, but see no exit. It's true - jobs really do kill dreams. I would quit right now, without a moment's hesitation were I in the financial position to do so.

So, what now?

For months I got stuck on what to do. Where to get ideas. But as my thinking process has evolved, I see ideas everywhere. I thought of "Just Eat for taxis" then realised Uber existed. I've investigated dropshipping, and other simple web businesses as a means to make some side income until I can quit. Doesn't really appeal though; I prefer to go all in on something great than mess around with little bits and pieces. I know I definitely don't want to set up a traditional recruitment company (don't want the hassle of traditional employees at all if I can avoid it, let alone in such a volatile and "me-too" marketplace), or to simply become a self-employed headhunter and create a job for myself. Although it does merit some consideration as a short-term solution as I could live in a very cheap country and use Vonage etc. to do business with a rich country. Could build up a nice cash cushion - could also become complacement and keep perpetuating the cycle.

I have two potentials I'm exploring at the moment. One is a blog primarily about giving people the tools to proactively go and get whichever (relevant) job they desire, through the sales and marketing techniques I have learned all these years, rather than being stuck "sending out CVs". But also to give the inside scoop on what really happens in the recruitment process. Ultimately, it would be to build an audience from which to launch an eBook on a whole step-by-step structured process to achieve this goal. There's nothing like this in the mainstream. Careers writers trot out the same trite BS about "10 ways to get your resume noticed" day after day after day. No real talk. And I've used the same process myself to get every job I've ever wanted. So that has legs. And it's the kind of website which can be marketed by getting known for publishing posts on Linkedin...relatively simple massive audience.

The other is an online placement website which connects supply (substitute) teachers with schools directly. I used to work for a company which also had a temporary teaching division and it's a parasitic industry, taking up to 50% margins in some cases while adding little to no value, competing with all the other agencies for the same exact pool of teachers, setting up fake bookings to be cancelled at the last minute just to keep them away from the competition (!), enticing them away with higher pay and then squeezing the margins tighter and tighter when they're all settled in. The agency simply inserts themselves into the middle of an already existing transaction and takes money for it.

Usually I think recruitment automation is an awful idea, but in this case given the finite pool of teachers which the schools re-use over and over again via various agencies, an interactive registration and booking system could work fantastically if well executed and could be transferred to a passive income system (or big sale) relatively quickly with far fewer employees or liabilities than a traditional business. All whilst putting a lot more money in supply teachers' pockets and saving schools money and hassle.

I think my second concept has huge potential, although certainly challenges to overcome especially with regards to legislation. The other hurdle is that it is going to be a lot more costly to implement, whereas a blog and ebook would cost me little more than living expenses.

But, whichever route I decide to follow I am committed to the journey and look forward to the process. :)

What I would be keen to get some thoughts on above all, is how others have gotten over the financial hurdles in the early stages? I'm not convinced my second idea would work without a lot of investment at the front end.

Cheers,

Contrarian

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great intro, great avatar (biker myself... although sans bike at the moment). Like your inside knowledge of the recruitment industry. Oh, like your name too... being contrarian (not just for the sake of it of course) helps with building authority.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Welcome, as @Andy Black said, a great intro. Obviously you have thought long and hard about how to use your experience and skill set to move you forward in a business of your own. Very good analysis that shows both ideas have strong potential.

If I were in your situation I would concentrate first on the end game rather than the particular challenges either business presents. Challenges can be overcome and if they can't then you don't have a viable business anyway.

Look at any potential business model you are contemplating and see where it will eventually lead you. Take a period of say 1, 3, 5 and 10 years in each business. What would you be doing? Where would you be? How many hours would you have to work? What ties are you likely to have?

It is no good following a path to success if that path leaves you wanting at the end of it. Many entrepreneurs have become trapped in the success of their own making (myself included). You would be surprised how easy it is to end up running a business with premises and staff and lots of customers but hating every minute of it. If you are not careful it is easy for a business to end up owning you.

Follow each business through to a logical conclusion and see if you would be happy with the life it will require of you at the end of it. Also don't be fooled into thinking the business will be wildly successful and you will have an army of staff that will do everything for you while you check in once a week from your paradise island. Analyse it from the middle ground, (profitable but not hugely so).

Once again welcome to the fastlane and look forward to your participation in the threads.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There's a ridiculous mount of job searching going on in the search engines. High volumes, low cost-per-click, and (unfortunately) highly motivated. It always saddens me somewhat to think of the backstory behind each search... that there is a man or woman trying to get or improve their job. How unhappy are they? How desperate are they for a lifeline? How many of them will truly be happy working for the man? How many will ultimately end up unfulfilled, live their life in quiet desperation, and look back with regret?

Goodness guys. Do we all realise how lucky we are to have found this forum and see that there is another way?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Thanks for the welcomes all, it's good to be here. :)

Great intro, great avatar (biker myself... although sans bike at the moment). Like your inside knowledge of the recruitment industry. Oh, like your name too... being contrarian (not just for the sake of it of course) helps with building authority.

Cheers Andy. I'm thinking of ditching the bike myself (temporarily!) to get rid of the finance payments. Whenever I go to trackdays, or get away for a week touring, I always wish I could spend most of my life doing those things. What a way to live...travelling the world by motorbike, stopping in places now and then to explore and manage the business from the laptop. That's the ultimate goal.

There's a ridiculous mount of job searching going on in the search engines. High volumes, low cost-per-click, and (unfortunately) highly motivated. It always saddens me somewhat to think of the backstory behind each search... that there is a man or woman trying to get or improve their job. How unhappy are they? How desperate are they for a lifeline? How many of them will truly be happy working for the man? How many will ultimately end up unfulfilled, live their life in quiet desperation, and look back with regret?

Goodness guys. Do we all realise how lucky we are to have found this forum and see that there is another way?

Yup. The everyday life that's laid out for us by expectations really is mundane and pointless. Incidentally a few different things led me ultimately to here. One was making use of life coaching services (for other purposes) from a bunch of guys who had quit their highly paid Wall Street jobs to set up this business and live in different cities around the world as a closely-knit group of nomads, experiencing all the world has to offer and living life on their own terms. That really opened my eyes. Up until that point I thought I was quite happy in my job. That's when I read TMF , 4HWW and anything else I could get my hands on. And TMF made me realise that running a traditional recruitment business is a stupid way to get rich.

Another was being approached by one of my clients at around the same time to run a recruitment company for them with them funding it, them paying me a salary and giving me equity with the intention of building it to sell. It didn't work out because my employer found out about it, hacked my personal emails to get the evidence, fired me and went out on a massive campaign to destroy me and my potential investors with lawyers and harassment and prevent me from earning a living. All because I had the cheek of wanting to live my own life.

The very next day I registered a Ltd company and got to work freelancing, but I only got paid for the work I did four months later and I had no money so had to get another job after a month. These guys sold me the dream and I got really excited about it, predictably less than a month in I was frustrated and bored already. Not to mention trying to get me to accept a 20% paycut...the cheek of it!

Most people I think are never fortunate enough to have these experiences which challenge their perceptions of the way the world works. It's almost as if the entire world is set up to make us willingly buy into enslaving ourselves for life and giving up all our dreams in the service of our slave overlords. I find if I dwell on all of this it makes me angry and morose.

Welcome, as @Andy Black said, a great intro. Obviously you have thought long and hard about how to use your experience and skill set to move you forward in a business of your own. Very good analysis that shows both ideas have strong potential.

If I were in your situation I would concentrate first on the end game rather than the particular challenges either business presents. Challenges can be overcome and if they can't then you don't have a viable business anyway.

Look at any potential business model you are contemplating and see where it will eventually lead you. Take a period of say 1, 3, 5 and 10 years in each business. What would you be doing? Where would you be? How many hours would you have to work? What ties are you likely to have?

It is no good following a path to success if that path leaves you wanting at the end of it. Many entrepreneurs have become trapped in the success of their own making (myself included). You would be surprised how easy it is to end up running a business with premises and staff and lots of customers but hating every minute of it. If you are not careful it is easy for a business to end up owning you.

Follow each business through to a logical conclusion and see if you would be happy with the life it will require of you at the end of it. Also don't be fooled into thinking the business will be wildly successful and you will have an army of staff that will do everything for you while you check in once a week from your paradise island. Analyse it from the middle ground, (profitable but not hugely so).

Once again welcome to the fastlane and look forward to your participation in the threads.

Thanks RazorCut, that's good advice. I need to do more thorough analysis, but my feeling is the blog & ebook idea can end up as a big success largely as a one-man operation, and if that becomes the case then it could be scaled into other areas too. My other idea would need a lot more investment, employees, face to face sales meetings, administration, finance and customer service. But the payoff could be legendary.

I hear you about being trapped by the business, I've worked for numerous people who are in exactly the same situation now. One of my old bosses told me if he knew then what he knows now, he never would have set up on his own. But he's breaking the fastlane commandments!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...