The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on Toastmasters International and Furthering Education.

TheNewRich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
May 17, 2017
usa
I've been trying to self educate for the last year reading numerous books on self improvement In the last 5 months I've read "How to win friends and influence people", Extreme Ownership, Rich Dad Poor Dad, 7 Habits of Highly successful people, Think and Grow Rich, Influence: Psychology of Persuasion, 5 second rule, and Tribes to name a few. I am 3/4ths the way through Millionaire Fast Lane. I currently work in sales.... until I figure out how to get out of the rat race. Has anyone had any experience with toastmasters? I feel like I lack leadership and I feel like I try to make false sense of leadership with a egotistic know it all approach. *sigh*

I also have a hard time with speaking in front of large groups of people. I just don't know what to say as my mind races. Though it is a bit easier when I'm on medication for my ADHD.
So after all that rambling my question is does anyone have experience with toastmasters and would or has it helped? What are some good books to further my education? Selling, Speaking, Leadership.

Thank you guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I have experience with Toastmasters. The overall lessons on public speaking and communication are great. Of course, communication is more than just speaking and you have to learn to manage body language and facial expressions as well. There are also leadership roles in each club that fosters those skills. Your experience with TM will vary depending on which local club you join. Each club has its own personality and levels of activity. I think the experience would be great for sales if you think you need improvement in that area.

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
I've been to some Toastmasters meetings, but have not been through the program although many people vouch for it. I found that improv class was much more beneficial in terms of handling "the spotlight". Even if you don't like comedy, these classes will absolutely get you out of your comfort zone and at the least, teach you to be comfortable speaking on your feet.

TheNewRich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
May 17, 2017
usa
Stop reading books for the time being.

Go out and practice all that you've read about.
So this is where I'm struggling. I have been applying many techniques to improve discipline IE: Waking up early, Meditation, completing daily task lists, eating healthy, ect. I've struggled with adhd so my mind is always loosing interest and jumping to one idea to the next and so I've taken the initiative to get back on medication as an adult I haven't used any since childhood. Some areas have improved but still is finding an Idea or business model I can commit to and execute. I've been reading a lot of the notable forum posts explaining Copy, Web development, Social Media ect. I get through researching and figure it sounds and or looks awesome.... then I find a new post and jump to that and can't decide.

It's just something I have to work on. I'm not trying to make an excuse I have to take ownership and figure it out. I'm just glad to have found this forum to help guide me. I've spent way to much time looking into the drop shipping/fba/teaspring youtube gurus and not real life entrepreneurs like this forum. I'm glad MJ brought a lot of these scams to life for me in TMF .

Back to square one.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I'm in TM now for 4 years and doing my last month as a president of the club. I learned a ton from it, not just communication skills, but also leadership. I would recommend everybody. Not just for improving your skills, but you also meet other people that are developing. In the US you basically can find a club on every street corner.

But, like many courses, you don't learn much if you keep crawling in a corner each meeting. Try to get in front of the audience every meeting. Fail and learn. If you have a good club, they will support you no matter what. And if you feel good in the club, apply for an officer's role.

Right now I will slow down my TM activity, but it has been an exciting chapter in my life.

Last edited:

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Yes, I've been there a few times. And I refuse it to say that I don't want to go back, because I want to.

I've heard stories of people who where very shy and became a "natural" in speaking in front of groups.

But it seems you have other issues than just dealing with plain leadership.

Why do you want all this? Including entrepreneurship, figure that out first. It comes roughly at 3/4 of MJ's book TMF (Page 214, Your Ignition)

EthanMac1984

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 30, 2017
Tennessee
Stop reading books for the time being.

Go out and practice all that you've read about.

I second this advice. The pursuit of more knowledge has really held me back. A lot of self help books have enough action steps for someone to apply and master for a lifetime. Don't get fooled into thinking you're taking action by reading more books. Read, apply, master.

Pro tip: always read with a highlighter or pen in hand so you can go back and find the action steps easier.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Here's a tip. Go execute.
If you want to learn how to speak, do it. Anywhere. doesn't need to be in a Toastmasters, although it's a boost.
My college English classes offer lots of Q and A sessions in-class on various topics, the recent ones were on multiculturalism and psychological disorders. Usually, most people are too SCRIPTED to put up a debate or an argument on anything they have heard and listened.

But I do. I don't give a F*ck how dumb my questions are, or how long my arguments are, or how anxious or irritated my friends are after the classes. I just ask, answer and debate as given the opportunity.

Guess what? I got the highest marks for my orals although I wasn't graded for my earlier speeches. I gave my teachers the perception that I was outspoken. I gave them perceived value, and they paid with grades.

Execution works anywhere. When you execute, people think you are smart. And you are! Because the A-students are gonna action fake by studying shit rather than going out to swing the bat.

As for writing, I had to relearn it by going to Quora. Contributing and asking just as they do here in TFLF. People there, and in the outside world want answers and opinions not just short and simple, but best told in relatable stories and experiences. MJ also agrees to a degree in UNSCRIPTED .

Besides, this forum also further sharpened those two skills. On a regular basis, I have to write and talk in my interactions with the other Fastlaners here, and I can't just do ordinary shit with them as I have to treat them as properly as partners or investors.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
When asked how I conquered my fear of public speaking I always give the same two tips:

1) Make sure you know what you're talking about so you can improvise if needed or if you stumble
2) Make sure you're talking to people who want to hear what you have to say
3) Prepare what to say when you forget the point you were making

As for number 3 I've heard some good recoveries but the funniest was "Let me stop right here and test to see if you're all listening...where was I up to?" followed by a funny comment about how you forgot the point you were going to make - this will endear you to the audience if it's in a small seminar environment but not really a viable approach for a super serious speech.

As for hecklers I've heard some good comebacks. The rudest/funniest one is "Buddy, if you know so much I'd ask you to come up and give me a hand but I can see it's busy" and the second was during a particularly nasty heckle and the presenter said "Ok, let me quickly take a vote - who wants me to continue?" A sea of hands were raised and then the crowd turned and glared at the hecklers. Very effective under extreme conditions. Softened by an offer to speak to the hecklers after the show to listen to their concerns.

I remember my first time, I was (obviously) nervous as hell and someone took me aside and said "look at me. Bill, there are people who have flown here just to listen to you speak". That kind of blew me away as I didn't expect that to ever be the case. For some reason hearing that calmed me instantly (perhaps the responsibility of letting them down overtook my fear?) and my talk was a standing ovation success. Later, some of the other speakers came up to me and asked "was that really your first time speaking?!"

Now, this won't work if you want to be a politician (I don't know how they do it) but the fear is probably related to being heckled or forgetting what you want to say. I spoke off the top of my head (because I knew and was living my topic) and I knew (hoped...eek) there were probably going to be no hecklers. I can tell you one thing for sure - it's absolutely worth the effort to learn how to speak with confidence and humour in public. One particularly good podcast series that I've listened to several times is "What The Speak" with Brian Kelly. There are 66 podcasts of speakers and some of their advice eye openingly helpful. Highly recommended. When you feel more prepared you'll be fine - trust me.

As for sales books, right at the top of the list of books that helped me is "How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling" by Frank Bettger.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
Great thread at the right time for me. I've been thinking of going to Toastmasters myself.

I think it might be the right step for you because you are experiencing a time of too much reading, not enough doing. Reading happens in your head. Toastmasters happens in the world with live people.

I'm not a psychology professional, but I think that getting into a positive environment like TM and doing real world work to really apply what you have been reading can only do good things to help with depression.

TheNewRich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
May 17, 2017
usa
Thank you, everyone, for the sound advice! I actually don't read books that often I tend to absorb more information listening to audio books. With Books, I tend to mind wander as I'm reading and totally forget what I just read last paragraph or last chapter which takes me forever. If I mind wander in an Audio Book I just replay the past 30 seconds a couple times to get the points down.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.