The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on my idea?

Idea threads

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
People these days will do ANYTHING for their pets and they are pretty much members of the family.

I got a new dog recently and have been looking at places to board her. All the places I look at were not all that impressive. I know she's just a dog, but I don't want her sitting in a 3x3 cage for days on end, even if it is only $30 a day. I would be willing to pay a lot for for the dog to have more luxury. I have found no "luxury" boarding for privilaged dogs. Even ones that were reccomended to me as being "really nice", were not what I'm looking for. They are mostly kept in cages or in small empty concrete rooms where there's 50 other dogs in similar rooms barking all day (and night I'm assuming).

When I pick my dog up, it sleeps for 2 days straight, even if it's only boarded for one night. I'm guessing it's kept up all night with the barking and probably contributes a lot herself.

Here's my thoughts...

What if there was a luxury hotel for dogs? Think "Bellagio for dogs" (or cats too I guess). It looks and and is run like a hotel. There's no cages in there. It's all private rooms, just like a hotel. Something the size of say a Holiday Inn Express I'm thinking? Each dog gets it's own luxury (sound proof) room, and customers can monitor the dog in it's room via CCTV on the internet. I have seen the CCTV thing before, but you just get to watch your dog sit in a empty concrete cage for the most part. No luxury at all.

The website would have a "gift shop" or "room service" where you can order dog treats online or with you mobile phone, and watch as it's delivered to your dog via the CCTV connection. Have a "day spa" and other little ad-ons that the customer can buy. All can be monitored via CCTV.

Cost could possibly be lower cost than operating a HI Express cause you don't have all the linens and maid services. Plus HI Express has nothing to upsell you with. No room service, no bar, no gift shop....nothing. You pay your $140+ and that's it's (unless you order adult movies on the TV).

My luxury pet hotel would have all kinds of upsells. Day spa, grooming, snacks, day trips to the park, etc. There's all kinds of perks you could add on. Most mobile phones have picture messaging these days. My friend has a camera out at his ranch that takes a picture every hour and sends it to his website where people can look at the pictures. I'm thinking something similar for the pet hotel. Instead of going to the website, the pictures are sent to a mobile phone. Just "extras" like that you could tack on.

I have not given it much thought, nor looked into if any such thing already exsists. It just crossed my mind while looking for a new place to board the dog....again. I have shopped at what were considered "the best" boarders in Houston and some of Austin, I personally have never seen such a thing. It may exsist. But it's not here nor there.

For example, in Houston there's a section of town called River Oaks. It's the Beverly Hills of Houston. It's where all the old money oil tycoons live. BIIIIGG money there. There's an "upscale pet resort" there called "Rover Oaks" http://www.roveroaks.com/HomeDisplay.aspx

I saw it. It's not any more impressive than some no-name boarding house anywhere else.

8x8 concrete room for $34 a day, plus all the extras? No thanks. I can get the dog 20x20' room with a King bed, private bathroom, shower, with shampoo, washcloths, and fresh sheets and towels delivered daily for $80 down the street at the local Ramada. And the dog would have a window too.

I seriously think there's a market for it. Surely I'm not the only one that would pay a lot of money to make sure the dog is being taken care of and is comfortable as much as possible. By "a lot" of money, I'm thinking $100/day or so for starters before add-ons. I'm just guessing the price point. I don't know if the market will pay it or if it's even doable. I just know I'm not rich, and I'd pay it. Surely I'm not the only one.

If a 8x8 concrete room is considered "the very best". The bar sure as hell is set low.

Thoughts good or bad?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I don't know much about the market but I think that you should make a market research, its a great idea! :)

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Z5, that's a greatttttttttt idea if you have a clearly defined market. Yes, some people are willing to spend a ton of money on their dogs. In fact, I used to be one of those people. Just remember: location, location, location. Here's a link to a great dog care facility.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I have a good friend that owns a huge doggie daycare facility in the Bay Area (www.klubk9playcenter.com), and as someone who has trained and raised dogs for decades, he'll be the first to tell you that dogs are pack animals by nature (social creatures), and secluding them in separate rooms (no matter how nice) is much less preferable to the dogs than letting them run around (and sleep) together as a pack.

At his facility, it's completely cageless (unless you specifically want your dog to sleep in a crate), and the dogs (up to 100 a night and even more during the days) spend the days playing together in half-indoor/half-outdoor facilities (fully staffed to prevent any fights or problems), and spend the nights all sleeping in one large common area (again, staffed 24 hours to prevent any problems).

As a dog owner and dog lover, I much prefer this type of setup than having my pup secluded from other people and dogs, no matter how nice the room might be. For people, have a big empty sound-proof room might be a great thing, but for dogs, this can actually be more stressful than being in the company of lots of other animals.

Just something to think about...great idea, though!

good point

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
slightly off topic, but this 'story' illustrates the amount of money some people spend on their dogs.

In my former life, I used to go to tradeshows for RV-ers. I would say that about 2/3 of the people that walked by had little dogs..... and here are a *few* accessories that ALL of these dogs had:

• Strollers (as in they were laying in and being pushed around)
  • Blankets (hand made, I'm sure)
  • Sweaters (as in really elaborately knitted clothing)
  • Hats
  • Sunglasses
  • Backpacks (as in, they were carried in)
  • Color coordination (as in their clothing matched the clothing of 'mommy and daddy'

It was insane. (no offense to doggy lovers.... I love them too.... I've just never done any of the above)

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
slightly off topic, but this 'story' illustrates the amount of money some people spend on their dogs.

In my former life, I used to go to tradeshows for RV-ers. I would say that about 2/3 of the people that walked by had little dogs..... and here are a *few* accessories that ALL of these dogs had:

• Strollers (as in they were laying in and being pushed around)
  • Blankets (hand made, I'm sure)
  • Sweaters (as in really elaborately knitted clothing)
  • Hats
  • Sunglasses
  • Backpacks (as in, they were carried in)
  • Color coordination (as in their clothing matched the clothing of 'mommy and daddy'

It was insane. (no offense to doggy lovers.... I love them too.... I've just never done any of the above)

LOL. See, people will do anything for their dogs. Even get them private rooms at my ultra luxury Royalton Pet Hotel. :smxF: I'm going to be the Steve Wynn of pet hotels. I'll be on the cover of Forbes with the quotes "They laughed at my idea.." next to my picture. LOL

Adam_C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 2, 2008
uk
It's a great idea, my mom won't put the dogs in boarding when she goes on hoilday (some random family member has to check on them)... she reckons they'll get depressed in a cage.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
It's funny that I came across this thread.

My girlfriend wants to start a doggie daycare where we live. I'm all for it, and I am encouraging her to keep with it and start it up.

But the Fastlane side of me has been asking, How Can We Make this Idea Fastlane? What Hasn't Been done, or Could be Done Better, in the Dog Service Industry that Would Take the Dog Industry by Storm?

I actually came up with (what I think) would be a fantastic idea...I'm still working some of it out in my head. One thing I do know for sure is that people are willing to spend a lot of money on their pets - we sure do. My idea would be catered toward the upper-middle class to wealthy people in the world.

As for your idea, I like the idea behind the doggie hotel, but I have to agree with JScott, and as a guy who owns three dogs, they have to be in packs. The private room thing would be hard on them. In fact, I think you would find few dog owners would want their dogs alone in a room.

I think if you could make the pets' owners feel like they were getting top scale treatment while their dogs were still allowed to be dogs (ie, in packs) you could build on that.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Nda. NDA!!! :rofl:

Is that for me?

My idea is nothing like this one :)

Although after reading it again, it does come off that way. :nonod:

Mine has nothing to do with the day care side. More like the interaction between owners and their dogs.

Funny, though...

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Just screwing with you guys. It's so funny that even doing business in the same industry or field can put us on slippery slopes.

If I ever saw an NDA, I'd scoff and say that my company is already working on a similar project.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.