The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This Is Upsetting

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Development skills for $3-5/h should never be acceptable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dr. Fastlane

Amor Fati!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jul 20, 2018
Gurgaon
I doubt he will find anyone worthy at that price.

I live in India, so am aware how cheap human resources can get. Never this cheap though.

Finding a decent coder for $15 is very much possible.

PS. "Decent" is a subjective term.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm all for finding the best price for your needs, but yea, it's ridiculous, shameful, and disgusting.

Guy who posted such an ad should be slapped.

And it casts entrepreneurs as people who are greedy and would "burn the rain forest down for a profit", supporting the evil capitalist narrative.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
$400/mo is an average salary in some countries, at a full time 9-5.

For all other cases, it's a good entry point for someone looking to get their foot in the door.

I'm no longer on UpWork, but my first job on there was for $25 to put together a landing page, which I charge $2k for now.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
View attachment 25030
Development skills for $3-5/h should never be acceptable.
I'm curious to know how much profit the prospect hopes to earn.

Judging by the saddeningly low price-point, he must have very low expectations.

Then I would see if I can charge a percentage of that.

Other times I would just simply check for the highest to intermediate price on Upwork to give me a few ideas on a good price. I'm sure the good prices won't be $3-$5.

Have these F*ckers have no clue how much time is spent to perfect the code? I myself had to wrestle a SIMPLE optimization problem on R for my business modelling assignment at college for ONE WHOLE DAY, and by the time I was done, it didn't look like anything my lecturer taught.

Don't tell me people are still lining up around the corner for the job...

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
It really is a shame. One hour working at McDonalds and you make 3-4 times as much. However, there is a silver lining to jobs like this - if you were someone with no experience programming whatsoever, it's a good way of adding work to your resume.

D

Deleted50669

Considering someone offered me > $100K a year to use that very stack (along with the app I built that has no user base), yea, that's dirt cheap and unbelievably shortsighted.

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
Don't see how this is a problem.

Someone, somewhere will be happy for this "opportunity".

As one of the previous posts mentions, think of countries with an average salary of $200.

Now take someone there with little experience. At a rate of $4/hour and a 40 hour work week he or she would earn $640/month.

Thats 3x the average salary in his/her country.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Don't see how this is a problem.

Someone, somewhere will be happy for this "opportunity".

As one of the previous posts mentions, think of countries with an average salary of $200.

Now take someone there with little experience. At a rate of $4/hour and a 40 hour work week he or she would earn $640/month.

Thats 3x the average salary in his/her country.

When people quote this low, it drives other job requests lower. I do not use UpWork. I was checking out the marketplace and seeing the job offers for things like copywriting and software development. When you see things dirt-cheap like this, it makes others think that they can get away with it as well. Then when it comes time to do a larger project that requires the skills, they'll be tremendously undervalued because of jobs like this.

Would you say, I'll pay you $4/5 hour for someone who performs surgery on me? Or find a lawyer for $4/5/hour? Yes, this is seen as an "opportunity" for other countries. But I'm sure other countries want to be paid more for their skills if they can as well.

There's a difference between hiring a VA for $4-5h to respond to your Instagram/Facebook comments. And developing a frontend-backend system.

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
Would you say, I'll pay you $4/5 hour for someone who performs surgery on me? Or find a lawyer for $4/5/hour? Yes, this is seen as an "opportunity" for other countries. But I'm sure other countries want to be paid more for their skills if they can as well.

Sure, everyone around the world "wants" to earn more.

But you can't just ignore economic realities.

This race to the bottom with prices is an inevitable outcome of globalization. There is always someone who can do the same thing cheaper than you. This is the flip-side of any kind of work, which can be done remotely.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Sure, everyone around the world "wants" to earn more.

But you can't just ignore economic realities.

This race to the bottom with prices is an inevitable outcome of globalization. There is always someone who can do the same thing cheaper than you. This is the flip-side of any kind of work, which can be done remotely.

I guess.

What you pay for is what you’ll get. If you’d like to pay the lowest dollar than go right ahead.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
What you pay for is what you’ll get.
Yes, and just think of who will bid on 3-5/hr and why they won't just ignore it. It's not about average salary in the country. Why would someone do the job for 5 if they can find something on upwork for 30+?
The only reason I see is they can't.
Bad English, low skills, no experience, etc.

P. S. Average salary here is around 300, but for software developers its 900-5k+ with around 3k average.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
What's the problem with this?

If a coder doesn't want it, then they don't have to accept it.

If coders are literally a dime a dozen, then that is the market.

No-one is entitled to $X/month, if you can get a better price for your skills then go get a better price.

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
LOL you get what you pay for. Even IF there was someone willing to work for that low, they'll probably have no skills, no experience, etc. That employer will spend way more in the long run with poor quality/buggy code, badly designed websites, slower development times, and employees that jump ship as soon as they build skills and become competitive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.