The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This is Phil, father of 2, changing lanes - my success journal

PhilKowalski

Always gets what he deserves
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 14th, 2021
1626251237034.png
Phil's brain ramblings

It was interesting to do the work yesterday. First I thought "Ough, Phil, doing the same mistake again... You want too much too fast.." (having to write 2 episode scripts and 1 online course script, see previous post).

But once I got into it, it really flowed. So my basic idea is to see how can I max out my energy? At which level is it just too much? And then scale down a little bit to find out if I could stay on this achievement (or task) level consistently.

Also, when I did my podcast / YouTube livestream recording this morning, I recorded 12 minutes of good content just to find out, that I didn't activate my microphone on my USB switch.

1626251427803.png

Led to a new discovery, see below.

One other thing, that really gives me energy is my hatred for the rat race. I really am so sick of this whole political thing, these limiting people with their stupid behaviour especially in my work life. This somehow also fuels my energy to get out of there. Strong it is in this one, the dark side, as Yoda would potentially say...

Let me know in this thread if I should write a little bit more about the current situation and how I plan to get out of there.

1626251476844.png

Yesterday's tasks / achievements

These are my achievements as of today
  1. Finish the script for tomorrows episode and for Thursdays episode --> DONE
  2. Write the final script for online course, moduel 1, lesson 3 --> DONE
1626251585165.png
Discovery of the day

Create a quick podcasting / streaming checklist to make sure, not to forget such important things as "turn on that DAMN microphone"

1626251677100.png

Tasks for today

Today I give myself some more tasks, see explanation above.
  1. Finish the scripts for Friday, Saturday and Sunday​
  2. Record episodes for Saturday and Sunday, schedule them (they will not be live)​
  3. Record the first lesson (module 01, lesson 01) on production quality​
  4. Create a podcasting and livestreaming checklist​
  5. Create another scene in OBS for sharing presentation content​

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 15th, 2021

1626331375936.png
Phils brain ramblings

Yesterday was a touch one. I though I couldn't fulfill all the tasks but finally I did. What really helped is to announce it early to my wife (she was ok with it) as well as writing the single tasks down and pin them to my whiteboard. Making it physical (or real) always seems to help me. Once a task was done, I took it from the board and threw it in the trashcan.

I also played around with some green screen for my course lesson recording, as I have a decent camera I'm using (Logitech Brio 4k) as well as a pop up green screen. Played around with OBS and Camtasia whereas the latter one delivered slightly better results. At one point I also thought how to optimize it more, but then I stopped to the the "thing done".

Yesterday in my main job I once again had so many stupid discussions with morons and cowards, that it just fuels my motivation more and more. So many idiots in this rat race and everyone seems to fool each other. I also get a few job offers here and there but right now, I tend to see them as "bribes from the script". Why the heck should I change jobs just to do the same shit with the same morons somewhere else? No, Sir, thank you!

1626331713664.png
Yesterdays tasks / achievements
  • Finish the scripts for Friday, Saturday and Sunday --> DONE
  • Record episodes for Saturday and Sunday, schedule them (they will not be live) --> DONE
  • Record the first lesson (module 01, lesson 01) on production quality --> DONE
  • Create a podcasting and livestreaming checklist --> DONE
  • Create another scene in OBS for sharing presentation content --> DONE
One thing I forgot to mention in this list, that I also do my daily episodes (podcast / YouTube) for weekdays where I live stream. Happens every day and it's interesting to see, that it becomes easier after a short few days

1626331883482.png
Discovery of the day

Perfect is the enemy of DONE!

1626331926459.png
Tasks for today

Unfortunately my time is limited today, as I do have a bi-weekly appointment on Thursday evening. But if that doesn't work out, I will execute on the tasks listed as optional below
  1. Start editing the lesson (cutting mainly for now) so that 50% are done (100% as optional)​
  2. Start to revisit ARM (Autoresponder Madness by Andre Chaperon) once more - I want to get more people on my emial list and this course teaches how to engage with them and motivate them to subscribe: 50% is a must (100% as optional)​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 16th, 2021
1626436109922.png
Phils brain ramblings

Ok, so yesterday, I didn't make it, not at all. Rat race job was extremely challenging yesterday (but this is not an excuse) and I only read 2 chapters of ARM and didn't touch the lesson edit at all.

I also uploaded this weekends episodes (to Podcast, YouTube, Website), which doesn't sound like a lot but was an hour of work. Analyzing it, I think, this is something, that should be outsourced. I know how to do it and will spend some time to create an SOP (Standard Operating Process). My time - once I am at that stage - is too valuable and should be used for creating assets in my business rather than fiddling around with uploades etc.

I also will not post on the weekends here, as I will be away and pre-produced the episodes for Sat and Sun already.

I also will continue to read about Jeff, Sam and how they become unscripted , because this story is really so amazing.
1626436336607.png
  • Start editing the lesson (cutting mainly for now) so that 50% are done (100% as optional) --> not touched at all
  • Start to revisit ARM (Autoresponder Madness by Andre Chaperon) once more - I want to get more people on my emial list and this course teaches how to engage with them and motivate them to subscribe: 50% is a must (100% as optional) --> only 2 lessons completed
1626436462579.png
Discovery of the day

Outsourcing is key business decision (did't consider this anytime soon).

1626436532017.png
Tasks for the weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
  • execute on the homework in ARM (create an empathy map and a customer avatar)​
  • write script for Mondays episode​
Have a fantastic weekend everyone :)

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 19th, 2021
1626702913171.png
Phils brain ramblings

I pre produced the weekends episodes and found, that the download numbers for the podcast, which I consider my "main marketing vehicle" are going down over the weekend. This sparked the idea of doing episodes only on business days. I will follow my approach to publish daily for a few more weeks to see, if the assumption is confirmed (3A approach in full swing so to say ;) )

In addition, I also don't know if YouTube is really worth it. One thing I need to test there is to adjust it more to YouTube SEO do see if it yields better results. The 3A however there is the same as with the "weekend discovery" - I will go on for a few more weeks to have reliable data.

I also changed the tasks I was doing over the weekend slightly. From adjusting my marketing approach (define a customer persona & empathy map) towards cutting the video. Why did I do that? Because I simply thought that going towards completion of my product is more valuable than building a marketing funnel (although building an email list of course is of crucial importance as well).

Also closing out in reading the Great Rat Race Escape and it is a fantastic book. Once I'm done with it, I think I will read it again to make an action plan out of it. But up until now, it really provided huge insights together with touching me deeply emotionally (but I will share my reflection in the "I have read... " thread).
1626703565613.png
  • execute on the homework in ARM (create an empathy map and a customer avatar) --> changed this to cut the first lesson of the online course (see above), DONE
  • write script for Mondays episode --> DONE
1626703765476.png
Discovery of the day

Monitor YouTube audience reach and podcast audience reach over the weekend to watch out for improvements in process.
1626703832638.png
Tasks for today
  • Finish module 1 lesson 1 and upload to video hosting provider (Vimeo)
  • write scripts for Tuesday and Wednesday
Any feedback, especially on the change from "marketing" to "product creation" as described above would be highly appreciated.

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 22nd, 2021

1626988586663.png

Phil's brain ramblings

Did the episodes as planned from yesterday, so that task was achieved. I also enjoy doing my daily podcast / YouTube livestream. What is good, that my partner, with which I am doing the online course together, is also fully committed to the product, so it's good, we can split some of the work there.

But the feeling that occured yesterday still remains. Sometimes it feels like "too many options". Bought two Udemy courses yesterday, one on film making (extremely bad one, the lesson about scripts is 32 seconds long! :rage: ) and one about editing in Davinci Resolve which seems to be quite good. But on the other hand, no complaints, because they were dirt cheap and it was my deliberate decision to buy them. Can blame no one else but me and 1 out of two for 25 bucks is still a pretty good deal.

I also subscribed to Valiers Patreon, because of the scripts he provides and to support his efforts. I really think, I could do high quality video in my niche on YouTube in a similar documentary style. Nobody has done that so far and I will definitely will give this a try.

I think I just need to make sure, that I do not spread myself to thin. Start everything and finish nothing. I received my physical copy of "The Great Rat Race Escape " yesterday. I finished the book on my Kindle on Monday and now will read it again together with the audio book. And this time, apply the steps suggested by MJ (that's how I usually do it with non fiction books - buy the Kindle version first and read it, then buy the physical book so I can make annotations etc)

1626988599738.png

Yesterdays tasks / achievement
  • write scripts for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday --> DONE
1626988615783.png

Discovery of the day

Still foggy, so many options. Need to work through the Great Rat Race Escape again

1626988628113.png

Tasks for today
  • A very easy one: Read / listen through the first few chapter of MJs book and apply

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 30th, 2021

Losing a little bit grip. Basically - just like yesterday - got nothing done today.

Definitely will do the two remaining runs for this week tomorrow and on Sunday and then see about the other tasks.

Let's see, maybe it makes sense to print out my 30 day plan to always have them visible in front of me.

Right on man! Keep at it.
Thanks, man! :)

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Fun story: we were celebrating with the family yesterday and I said to my brother in law that I decided for a new bike (you know, the triathlon goal, see above) and all he had to say (aiming for a quick laugh): so then you are MAMIL (middle aged man in Lycra) which I found a bit insulting.

If you challenge people's belief systems with things you actually do or start, they immediately start to fight their beliefs.

I personally think the underlying mechanic is this: I am not an extremely gifted person, just a regular guy who wants to pursue his dreams. I am like him. And maybe that annoys him because he might think: if Phil can do this, so can I in theory. But eventually I need to leave my comfort zone to do so. Phil does and I don't.

So they start to fight because it's these small stings (as they might feel it) that entices such actions.

I think I remember @MJ DeMarco saying somewhere that it's the process (the training, the hours spent, the pain endured etc) that counts and not the event (the medal)

Last edited:

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Good stuff. Keep going.
If you ever need any guidance on the swim/bike/run - shoot me a text. Better yet, read this book and it will save you hundreds of wasted hours:

View attachment 39282
Thanks, mate. Ordered it :) I need any help I can get. ;)

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of August 3rd, 2021

1627969621630.png

Phils brain ramblings

Alright, quite some interesting things happened over the past few days.

First of all: I finally got a racebike (the first in my life), so I can train for a triathlon in spring time. Got it yesterday and this moring I did a quick ride on it. Completely different to any bike I had before, but that was to be expected.

Fun thing is that although I am quite grumpy the moment I stand up (and the next 10 minutes or so), I am still a morning person. Guess that's biorhythm. That's why I also get a lot more things done in the morning. My podcast is recorded and streamed in the morning.

These report outs will also happen in the morning from now on

So what else did I achieve? I worked on the empathy map for my potential customers and this takes longer than expected. To a certain extent it mimics a colleague of mine. And she is 100% in my target audience. But it was interesting to take a deep dive into what motivates her etc.

Unfortunately I did not work on lesson 2. One thing I need to do for myself eventually is to break down the monthly plan into more daily plans. If I want to have module 1 finished by Aug 25th, what does that actually mean for the 3 remaining weeks? I really need to work on that.

With the new bike, I will also add a few bike rides to the schedule.

1627969610755.png

Last tasks / achievements
  • Do the exercises for ARM (Autoresponder Madness) for chapters 1 and 2 --> PARTIALLY ACHIEVED
  • Record module 1 lesson 2 of the online course --> FAILED
  • Do a 3km run (2 / 3 for this week) --> FAILED(didn't do the 3rd run)

1627969598974.png

Discovery of the day

Spend power to receive power (as in the morning bike run, which energizes me)

1627969582526.png

Tasks for tomorrow
  • Finish the empathy map and customer avatar exercise
  • Finish the raw recording of lesson 2

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!