The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This Is How Fast Your Boss Can Drop You

A post of a ranting nature...

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I saw a few comments from you that you don't have skills and were going to have to take whatever job you could find.

I know this doesn't directly apply to you but hopefully you can take something away from it. I read an article a few years back about how women were statistically far less likely to apply for jobs with prerequisites they didn't meet than men with the same qualifications. The women felt inadequate and didn't even apply but men's confidence in themselves paid off a lot more often than people expected. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take and whatever. After that, I took more chances on job applications and made the experiences I did have fit into the boxes employers were looking for. Since then, I've gotten quite a few jobs I was definitely not qualified for. I don't have a degree and when I first started out didn't even have really basic job experience. I haven't worked for less than $15/hr or even on site in years.

You have customer service experience. That qualifies you for a lot more jobs than you seem to think. Don't discount yourself.

Sorry to hear about how the job ended though. I had a similar experience in the food industry years back. It was awful but it also gives me motivation to work on never being in the position to have to work at a place like that again.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm like that too actually.. If I feel I don't have the necessaru requirements, I don't apply. But I guess I should start trying!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
UPDATE*

I helped someone for free a few months back with some sales copy and that person recommended me to a business owner the other day and we met up for an interview!

He offered me contract work to help get him get digital marketing clients as well as do sales copy for his website from home.

He said he'd teach me how to do everything from sales funnels to setting up wordpress, using google analytics, cold calling and even doing sales presentations.

I'm excited and look forward to working hard and learning from someone who's actually doing it!

And the funniest thing is, he's a high school dropout..

Our interview lasted 3-4 hours and we talked about how the school system is backwards, entrepreneur mindset, digital marketing and pretty much everything else you would read from Unscripted .

I was so excited to finally meet someone in person with the same mindset and common goals as me and everyone else on this forum.

I'll have to keep you guys updated in the Execution threads!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm like that too actually.. If I feel I don't have the necessaru requirements, I don't apply. But I guess I should start trying!

Absolutely! The requirements list is only a wish list. Sometimes the requirements are stacked up so that only the person they already decided to hire, could ever meet them... but they can pretend that they did a search and "had to" hire that person. For example, I'm probably the only person in the world who has designed an ATVEF compliant, template driven Javascript system using Windows Scripting Host AND who has deployed mortgage origination software updates to more than 100 servers. If someone really wanted to hire me they could put this in the "mandatory requirements" even though ATVEF is now technologically obsolete and irrelevant and the rest of it is irrelevant or overkill to a new job... if it kept you from applying all the better... even if what they really needed, was just someone to train people on Wordpress!

If they really need someone to do the work, and someone who looks pretty good but doesn't meet the "wish list" shows up, they'll hire that person... just like you might want a steak dinner with three types of broccoli and potatoes, with only 100 calories including the cheesecake, for under $5, but what you can actually buy for dinner will not be able to hit all of those "mandatory requirements."

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
UPDATE*

I helped someone for free a few months back with some sales copy and that person recommended me to a business owner the other day and we met up for an interview!

He offered me contract work to help get him get digital marketing clients as well as do sales copy for his website from home.

He said he'd teach me how to do everything from sales funnels to setting up wordpress, using google analytics, cold calling and even doing sales presentations.

I'm excited and look forward to working hard and learning from someone who's actually doing it!

Our interview lasted 3-4 hours and we talked about how the school system is backwards, entrepreneur mindset, digital marketing and pretty much everything else you would read from Unscripted .

I was so excited to finally meet someone in person with the same mindset and common goals as me and everyone else on this forum.

I'll have to keep you guys updated in the Execution threads!
High school dropout, you say?

ROLFMAO

I had a similar conversation with one of my first Upwork clients, but we talked more on how people who jump on the online business and freelancing bandwagon, with high expectations of quick gold, tend to get sadly disappointed.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
High school dropout, you say?

ROLFMAO

I had a similar conversation with one of my first Upwork clients, but we talked more on how people who jump on the online business and freelancing bandwagon, with high expectations of quick gold, tend to get sadly disappointed.
Well it's definitely not "quick money".

He's already made good money for himself and has lots of clients, but says he doesn't have time to get more since he's busy working so he's hired me to do the selling (online and offline).

I'm still getting another part time gig in case I don't make enough initially to pay the bills.

I think it'll make for a great learning experience though.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'm still getting another part time gig in case I don't make enough initially to pay the bills.

Brilliant, you're already preventing any one person other than you from controlling 100% of your work time and your income. This time, if either "the mentorship job" or "the bill paying job" has something as unpleasant as Mr. You're Not On The Schedule So I'll Fire You, you can be the one to slam the door first! But knowing you have more than one thing going for you in business, might give you enough confidence so that nobody would even try to pull a stunt like that again.

Last edited:

jon.bianco

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
May 21, 2013
Orange County, Ca
It happens man. It's fine and you will be fine. A good life lesson.

Always remember that employment is a two way street. I terminated my employer last week with no notice. Handed in a letter of resignation, dumped the company property and a handover document on HR's desk, and issued a two week sick note to force them to pay out the entire notice period! f*ck em'

You da'boss!

Paul Weese

Life is about living
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 19, 2014
Steamboat Springs, CO
I've been fired twice, both times because I was two steps ahead of the owner and they didn't like it. In both situations, I was grateful and it led to better days.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I read the whole thread -- and at last -- someone who has the employer's point of view. What are these guys going to do when the shoe is on the other foot? They say they want to build businesses -- which in time will need staffing. How are they going to handle the challenges of being the boss? Remember, there are two sides to every story...

It's perfectly okay to step on people weaker and smaller than yourself. It's survival of the fittest. It's a jungle out there. Only the strong survive.

And on and on. Or...

Great Man treats Little Man.gif

And if they don't?

Karma makes house calls. And when that happens, sometimes you get bit. It happens. (PS - there is a happy ending to this. The shark lived.)

Shark.gif

(and so did the surfer!)

Great update. Fantistico.

Putz restaurant boy goes on with his life too. Need a refill of coffee? You want fries with that? We can shave 15% off the cost of our buns if we use this new supplier (dare to embrace the dream!).

You will greatly surpass him in very little time. Congrats on this new chapter of your life!

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
Great thread. I'm surprised no one mentioned spamming Yelp and Google with negative reviews as retribution. More effective than taking up a table.

Outstanding turn of events! Pretty soon you'll be able to fire the "pay the bills" job and transition to freelancing, or your own venture since you're learning from someone who knows what ACTUALLY works.

I suspect a lot of failures in the online business arena are due to newbies that get overwhelmed by all the different possibilities and don't focus on one area and learning it in depth, or more experienced folks lack the sales skills to properly position their talent & charge what they're worth. I'm guilty of the first myself, though in my defense I've been locked into my slowlane job for quite some time (military) but that's about to change.

Good counterexamples here on the forums are Fox becoming "the Web dev guy," Andy Black becoming "The adwords guy," and SinisterLex becoming "the copywriting guy." They have both experienced freelance success by focusing on one area (that's IN DEMAND).

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'm surprised no one mentioned spamming Yelp and Google with negative reviews as retribution. More effective than taking up a table.

I like the rest of your post, but I think in the long term it wouldn't be worth it to sink to the level of making up lies just for some petty vengeance.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
It's perfectly okay to step on people weaker and smaller than yourself. It's survival of the fittest. It's a jungle out there. Only the strong survive.

You will greatly surpass him in very little time. Congrats on this new chapter of your life!
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
AlexLegault said:
By the end I stopped replying and he said he'd pay me the three hours.

Also, radio silence works :)

Also, the Big Boss might have had a little chat with his attorney or accountant. A chat that began with Big Boss saying "Hey you'll get a kick out this, I've got this little jerk Alex who thinks I owe him three hours of pay when I fire him." And that had the professional adviser point out, not only do you actually owe him the three hours and who cares about that twenty bucks. But also, if you screw him over AND don't file the withholding paperwork for even one day of labor taxes YOU owe to the tax man, you've got a lot more than twenty bucks worth of headaches coming to you, Mr. Boss! Send him away if you want, but with his last three hours of pay!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.