The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thinking about buying a Used Luxury Car

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I recently stumbled across an '04 BMW 325i with 64k miles for sale for $9,400. I need to buy a car, and am thinking about spending $8 to $10k. From what I've seen thus far, there's not much of a premium for a luxury vehicle that's 8 years old. Even Ford's, etc are $8k+...

My question is, should I go with a used luxury car?

It may not be a 325i, I've also seen some good deals on Mercedes Benz C230 and C240. I have no personal (or family) experience with owning a luxury car, but I've read that maintenance costs will be about $2k/year for these vehicles, which I think I could live with.

What luxury brand would be best for my price range?

Ultimately, I'm trying to decide whether having this vehicle now, at age 27, when I'm just starting my journey down the fast-lane will help MOTIVATE me? Or will it DE-MOTIVATE me? I believe it will motivate me, to enjoy something nice like that, and know that I could have much nicer things if I work hard.

What do you think? General thoughts???

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
but I've read that maintenance costs will be about $2k/year for these vehicles, which I think I could live with.

As long as you are ready for things like this. A trip to the Benz or BMW dealer could be costly. I don't know about $2k a year for maintenance. I think it's less than that. Oil changes are $100. Brakes and fluids are normal priced. But if anything goes wrong with the car $2k is probably a good average repair bill.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I think I could live with a $2k repair bill... My main concern is whether owning the car will affect my motivation and is worth the money.

Steven Williams

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 29, 2011
Kenosha
The deal might be good but you must be prepared for the maintenance cost. These type of cars are expensive to fix. If you have the cash flow for future repairs without setting you back on your business goals...go for it.

DealMaker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jun 9, 2011
Pacific NW
I drive an '08 BMW...

They are great cars. If you take good care of them, they can last a long time and hold their resale value pretty well.

With that being said, maintenance costs are something to definitely consider.

I just put 2 new front tires on mine, and they cost over $500. Wiper blades are around $70, and oil changes are spendy.

Is it worth it?

I think so.

My car motivates me, and if you're going to be involved with a business that involves people, networking, etc., it's nice to not have to park your car somewhere around the corner or a few blocks down because it's so shitty you don't want a potential contact, business partner, client, etc. to see it.

On the other hand, a used BMW is not a Lambo... :smxB:

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Yes go for it! :)

merc, bmw , audi all good brands that are well build

the only thing I tell you is try to stay way from bmw´s because they are the most expensive in services... (from the 3)

I for one, go more for the sport feeling of bmw´s but money wise (services) its better audi or merc.

GDevDir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 9, 2011
UK
buying a luxury 2nd hand car you must be either

1. very lucky
2. know how to use a spanner
3. deep pockets for the dealers.

Used luxury cars can be bought dead cheap now, but the parts to fix them are STILL the same price as they were new... so that 5k car your picking up, may need a "little" working doing... at new prices + mechanic time +"im a posh git" vat (thanks BMW/Merc :/)

If it wasn't for my ability to pickup a spanner i wouldn't of been able to afford some of the cars I've had since day 1 of driving, my first car was a merc, then a merc cosworth, then a silly BHP skyline, again for a silvia, crasy spec and now a tidy 5 series ... (btw I'm not from a rich family, or even middle class! so these are luxury items to me and punching well above my weight (sidewalker))

these cars cost HUGE money to maintain, so i hope you either have deep pockets or the ability to sniff out cheap(quality!) parts and fit them yourself.

you'l find doing the oil change yourself will save you *00s of $ but you will damage that "oh so precious" full service history.. but with 2nd hand cars this old... who can really justify a service that costs 1/4 of the car.

also FWIW I;m now selling my cars to live beneath my means to start my business ^^ will miss my shiny pretty cars though :(

*cough* my 5 series for sale... BMW : Stylish 5 Series Sport - Manual - Leather

i think in your situation, buying a car would be a distraction and a money sink ... what you DON'T have will usually be more a of a motivation to get it, if you have a nice car already, your 1 step closer to being complacent with your life and your work will suffer because of it unless you are extremely motivated and self disciplined

If i were you i would do what I'm currently doing and selling off everything that makes you owe or commit money when you don't NEED it. I plan on using my parents car to zoom about in when i need to, and when i'm in a position to need a car again, i'l buy the cheapest thing i can that will get the job done that it needs to do.

luxury items are just that... luxuries, and unless you've already done what you set out to do, i wouldn't think that its a good time to start rewarding yourself with niceties until you've accomplished what it is you REALLY want

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
hmmm, you are going to spend $8k for a car and willing to put 25% of that (decreasing value) into maintenance. Doesn't sound fastlane to me. I rather put $600 annually into a car and the $1400.00 into my business, also look at the cost of insuring the luxury car vs a good valued american or asian import.

SlimTycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2012
I think I could live with a $2k repair bill... My main concern is whether owning the car will affect my motivation and is worth the money.

Affect your motivation in what way? To help you to become more motivated or cause you to be less motivated?

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Affect your motivation in what way? To help you to become more motivated or cause you to be less motivated?
Right, I'm wondering which one of those 2 is more likely...

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
these cars cost HUGE money to maintain, so i hope you either have deep pockets or the ability to sniff out cheap(quality!) parts and fit them yourself.
how much would you estimate?

i think in your situation, buying a car would be a distraction and a money sink ... what you DON'T have will usually be more a of a motivation to get it, if you have a nice car already, your 1 step closer to being complacent with your life and your work will suffer because of it unless you are extremely motivated and self disciplined

If i were you i would do what I'm currently doing and selling off everything that makes you owe or commit money when you don't NEED it. I plan on using my parents car to zoom about in when i need to, and when i'm in a position to need a car again, i'l buy the cheapest thing i can that will get the job done that it needs to do.

luxury items are just that... luxuries, and unless you've already done what you set out to do, i wouldn't think that its a good time to start rewarding yourself with niceties until you've accomplished what it is you REALLY want
I'm currently in position to be able to afford a $10k car, along with $2k/yr service costs. If I don't buy this, it will be Honda and so the only real difference is $1k/yr.

I see a pretty big difference between a 9 year old BMW and a brand new Lamborghini, so this isn't going to make me feel like I've made it - it's just a taste of the good life to make me want it even more.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
You might feel great for about 4 months. Than it'll be just like driving a Buick after the newness fades.

Is a 325i what you really want?
I'm not sure. I've never test driven one - just love the way they look. Any better suggestions?

SlimTycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2012
If you want a 325i and you can EASILY handle the expense. Go for it.

To be honest $10k isn't a lot to spend so that's fine. Take care of it and it will last, that goes for any car.
Oil, tune-up's,etc..will keep your car alive for years.

Enjoy the new Beemer! ;0)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm currently in position to be able to afford a $10k car, along with $2k/yr service costs. If I don't buy this, it will be Honda and so the only real difference is $1k/yr.

My SUV is worth $5000 and I don't even like putting $250 into it. It's just sunk money. As long as you can stomach it. Sometimes it just feels rough. It's like putting your car up for sale and then finding out it needs brakes. You either lower the price $600 or get them done. It's like losing $600 out of thin air.

If you buy that $10k car and have it for 2 years and put $4k of repairs you'll have $14k into a car that will probably sell for $7k in two years. Are you ready to have something that will cost you $300 a month? If so, then that's fine.

My last benz cost me about $400/mo for the 2 years I've had it (luckily I had a warranty or it would have cost me $750 a month). For the guy I bought it cost him over $1000/mo from the day he bought it.

I think you'd be better off buying a Honda at this point in your life.

GDevDir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 9, 2011
UK
how much would you estimate?

is it an e46 your after or an e90?

2004 would suggest an e46 facelift model? ... first of all, the better of the e46s and the 325i is a nice model to go for.

however these are plagued with the "VANOS" issues @ about 100k, so try to find one that has already addressed the issue or is WELL under the mileage for it to go pop. as this is an EXPENSIVE fix

also if you worried about maintenance, that's usually a sign that you cant afford it :S

you can be lucky and find a car that only needs a service, and on the other side of the coin, find one that needs ALOT of money thrown at it, the less you know about cars the more likely the latter is.

do some research and look into e46 buyers guides

heres some forums i would recommend checking out also.

model specific

E46 Fanatics
site - E46 Fanatics: 3-Series, BMW Forums, BMW Modifications, E46 BMW
forum - E46Fanatics - Powered by vBulletin

E46 Zone
site - E46Zone.com - UK home for BMW E46's
forum - E46 Zone Forum

ZHP Mafia
site - E46 BMW 330 ZHP Forum | 330i BMW ZHP Performance Package - Home
forum - E46 BMW 330 ZHP Forum | 330i BMW ZHP Performance Package 1287

BMW general

Bimmer Club
Bimmer Club - BMW Enthusiasts Forum
Bimmer Club - BMW Enthusiasts Forum

BMW Owners Club
Home - BMW Owners Club
BMW Owners Club - BMW Club Forum

United Bimmer
United Bimmer
United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum - Powered by vBulletin

The BMW Car Club of Great Britain and Ireland
BMW Car Club Great Britain
BMW Car Club Forum

Bimmer Forums
BMW Forum|Bimmerforums.co.uk|No1 forum for BMWs|BMW Forums|BMW Tuning
BMW Forum|Bimmerforums.co.uk|No1 forum for BMWs|BMW Forums|BMW Tuning

Bimmer Nut
http://www.bimmernut.com/
BimmerNut.com Forums

Bimmer Forums
Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum - Powered by vBulletin

BMW Mafia
BMW Forums - Powered by vBulletin
BMW Forum: E46, E36, E90, E39, E92, M3, M5, E21, E30, E82, E89

DTM Power
DTM Power - BMW Message Board & Forum
DTMPower BMW Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Max Bimmer
maXbimmer - Canada's Largest BMW Forum | BMW News | BMW Parts | BMW Performance
maXbimmer Forums - Canada's Largest BMW Forum

Bimmer Werkz
BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com - BMW Forums and Discussion

Bavarian Board
Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum
Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum

BMW Coders
BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles.
BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. - Powered by vBulletin

Unofficial BMW Board
Unofficialbmw.com :: Index
Unofficialbmw.com :: Index

Ultimate Driving Machine Forum
BMW Forums
BMW Forums - Powered by vBulletin

BMW Land
BMWLand: The BMW forums for UK BMW car owners
BMW Forum Portal • BMWLand: BMW Forums

BMW Driver
BMW Driver-Home.
BMW-Driver.net Forums - Powered by vBulletin

BMW Forums
http://www.bmw-forums.net/
http://www.bmw-forums.net/index.php

Bimmer Fest
Bimmerfest: BMW Forum, BMW News, BMW Research, BMW European Delivery, 335, M3
Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

BMW Clubs Canada
BMW Club of Canada - Welcome - Bienvenue - Le Club BMW du Canada
BMWClubCA - Index

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
is it an e46 your after or an e90?

2004 would suggest an e46 facelift model? ... first of all, the better of the e46s and the 325i is a nice model to go for.

however these are plagued with the "VANOS" issues @ about 100k, so try to find one that has already addressed the issue or is WELL under the mileage for it to go pop. as this is an EXPENSIVE fix
From what I can tell, the E90 didn't come out till '05, which is when they stopped making the E46. With a budget of $10k and wanting a car with < 75k miles, I doubt I can find an E90. I googled 'Vanos' and see that is the name of the engine, but didn't see much about systemic issues with it. What more can you tell me? Were these issues fixed in the E90?

Also, I looked at a couple of pictures to see the difference in styling for '03 vs '04, but couldn't spot anything...?

also if you worried about maintenance, that's usually a sign that you cant afford it :S
I don't mind paying extra, but I don't want to pay ridiculously more...

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
The BMW 325 from that year is really solid.. I would buy it.. 64k miles.. Unless something major or something stupid happens then I bet you can drive it a few years without anything happening..

Those didnt have all the stupid electronic stuff the more expensive models have.. 9k you cannot go wrong..

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Yes go for it! :)

merc, bmw , audi all good brands that are well build

the only thing I tell you is try to stay way from bmw´s because they are the most expensive in services... (from the 3)

I for one, go more for the sport feeling of bmw´s but money wise (services) its better audi or merc.
It looks like the Mercedes C Class and the Lexus IS might be in my price range, but I didn't like any of the Audi's in my price range.

Why are BMW's so much more??

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I just talked with my local BMW/Mercedes mechanic and he told me to stay away from the BMW 3 and 7 Series, said it requires constant maintenance and to go with a Mercedes or BMW 5 series instead.

As soon as I got off the phone I found a '99 BMW 5 series with < 50k miles for $10k.... (EDIT: had the wrong description, turns out it was a '97 and 7 series... DANG!)

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
when I bought my '05 M3, I spent $4k just for maintenance

these things are nice, but very expensive to maintain (not even repair, just keep well maintained)

GDevDir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 9, 2011
UK
VANOS is how the e46,e39 and e38) engine handle torque more efficiently (like Honda's V-TEC) and is present in 3,5 and 7 series of that era.

whoever said toa void the 3/7 series is talking crap, the 5 series suffers just as much and the later BMW's also have VANOS, albeit probably an improved system due to the very nature of R&D

if you are serious about buying one of these vehicles delve into the forums and use the search function, EVERYTHING you could ever want to know has already been discussed at length.

differences between e46 pre-post facelift... have a look here http://www.google.com

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
It looks like the Mercedes C Class and the Lexus IS might be in my price range, but I didn't like any of the Audi's in my price range.

Why are BMW's so much more??

thats a good question, maybe someone with good mechanics can handle that.

in biz matters what I can tell you is that bmw operate in the sport executive lux class, they are branded and indeed they are made to be more sporty than mercs and audis.... that being said, thats why I prefer a bmw (and btw the one showed its quite a cool car), merc is always very good quality, guess why? they are branded as a high quality luxury car, audi.... welll audi been kick in a$$ the last years, they upgraded alot the tech and the quality and they have italian design... so thats why they are doing so well.

but in this when its said and done its really a matter of your taste:

bmw- sport premium

merc- quality

audi - no quite as sporty as bmw but not that "old" as merc

go for the one you like the most.

GDevDir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 9, 2011
UK
sit in enough cars and you'l soon find what traits each badge has

merc/bmw both have the highest build quality from what i have personally seen, with BMW taking the edge on interior quality (merc is a bit flimsy sometimes, although later bmws that i've seen are a bit shocking :S) but parts are EXPENSIVEEEE

audi are down a notch imo as their interior build quality just isnt anywhere close to bmw/merc, not sure on part prices here

lexus ... jap tin body with plastic interior to boot, they might be VIP over in jap land, but got nothing on german motors. that being said, their engine and drive train components are AMAZING. Jap components are usually dirt cheap too in comparison, despite the quality being up there with z Germans and aftermarket /upgrades are usually the same price with plenty of options available

IMO jap engine/drivtrain with german bmw/merc interior and body = win

best thing to do is go sit and drive a few, its immediately apparent where the flaws are in each

want the best of both worlds? heard Ferrari's and Lambo's are supposed to be nice :/

Halli

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 18, 2009
London,UK
So you're living on your own and no costly events planned in your current future and this won't affect your living expenses? With 10k available and ready for a 2k (possibly more) per year maintenance costs + fuel costs and insurance costs? If the answer is yes to all these questions then go for it :)

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
I got a old sc300 and love it. If you can find one in good condition their great reliable cars but I'd get a IS for 10k. I've always been a fan of acura/honda, cheap maintenance and good mpg. I like the cl and tl. could get a early 00? My friend has a audi s4, they're sick but like a beemer maintenance is a lot $$$. If you can afford it go for the beemer.

lexus ... jap tin body with plastic interior to boot, they might be VIP over in jap land, but got nothing on german motors. that being said, their engine and drive train components are AMAZING. Jap components are usually dirt cheap too in comparison, despite the quality being up there with z Germans and aftermarket /upgrades are usually the same price with plenty of options available

IMO jap engine/drivtrain with german bmw/merc interior and body = win

best thing to do is go sit and drive a few, its immediately apparent where the flaws are in each

want the best of both worlds? heard Ferrari's and Lambo's are supposed to be nice :/

How about 2jzgte inside of mercs and volvos? Check out this ultimate mancave.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showth...-Supra-from-Thailand-and-my-other-2JZGTE-SWAP

http://www.luxury4play.com/garage/89881-my-garage2010-bangkok-thailand-4.html

cashflow3000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, Washington, USA
hey cparsons -

a couple years ago we bought an '02 Lexus IS300 and it was the best $10K I've spent on a car in my life. could be that we got lucky but we have had no issues with the car, it runs like a dream and looks like one too. yes, the parts are more expensive (we replaced the headlights for $2k, and the tires for about $1K) but its rock solid reliable.

if that is your price point you could do a lot worse than buying a luxury car - go for it!

Have fun, and good luck!

D

DeletedUser2

I think you'd be better off buying a Honda at this point in your life.

so as your driving down your fast lane road, and you hit a bump and realize you need 2K to keep your biz afloat, or you need a running car that just broke, where do you put the money? in the car? cause its an ego thing? do you put it your biz so you can keep it?

bumps happen. I agree with bio. buy a honda. something solid, reliable, and it should motivate the shit out of you to get a better car when your biz is paying for it.

biz first, car second.
my 2.00343 cents (inflation adjusted)

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I found an '03 Mercedes Benz E320 with < 70k miles for ~$12k... test drove it today and am going discuss making an offer tomorrow.

Last thoughts welcome!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
It all depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice. Do i buy a $1300 kia rio or do i buy a $10k used german luxury car? i would buy a cheap little car that is reliable and has great gas mileage and put the other $8k or so away in the bank to invest in a business. then when you are ballin you can spoil yourself.

As far as looks go, if a client is impressed with you i doubt he is gonna look at your car and say "nevermind deal revoked" if its all rusty and makes lots of annoying noises :)

cars are money pits. but dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with having something nice, but i have found that i am more motivated when i DONT have anything fancy and have no money. it creates a sense of urgency to succeed and frugalness.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.