The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! These Are The Headlines That Will Make You Go Viral

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

G

GuestUser450

BuzzSumo: We Analyzed 100 Million Headlines. Here’s What We Learned

Great data dump from Buzzsumo about headlines that created interest and engagement.

Caveat: "We looked at the headlines of 100m articles published from March 1st, 2017 to May 10, 2017 and analysed those that gained the most social shares." - Marketing methods change with the wind and the data is only a snapshot from a 3 month period.

Biggest takeaway:

Questions to ask as you write your copy
  • Why should the reader care about your content?
  • Can you make a promise or claim about the impact of your article on the reader?
  • Can you include an emotional element – especially if looking to gain traction on Facebook?
  • Are you tapping into a trending topic, if so can you call it out in the headline?
  • Can you make it a quiz or challenge?
  • Could you position it as an explanation or answer post?
  • Who’s your tribe – what headlines resonate with them?
  • Will a more partisan or controversial headline appeal to your tribe?
  • Are you aiming for 12-18 words in your headline?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lerrell Copy

New Contributor
Jun 30, 2017
Detroit, MI

Great data dump from Buzzsumo about headlines that created interest and engagement.

Caveat: "We looked at the headlines of 100m articles published from March 1st, 2017 to May 10, 2017 and analysed those that gained the most social shares.I love email marketing even more than paid media." - Marketing methods change with the wind and the data is only a snapshot from a 3 month period.

Biggest takeaway:

• Can you make a promise or claim about the impact of your article on the reader?
  • Can you include an emotional element – especially if looking to gain traction on Facebook?
  • Are you tapping into a trending topic, if so can you call it out in the headline?
Very good information! Keep giving out value, that's how you win.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Marked NOTABLE as it is a must read for anyone who writes blogs, articles, or email headlines.

BradSpencer

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Nov 24, 2016
Orlando, Florida

Caveat: "We looked at the headlines of 100m articles published from March 1st, 2017 to May 10, 2017 and analysed those that gained the most social shares.I love email marketing even more than paid media." - Marketing methods change with the wind and the data is only a snapshot from a 3 month period.

Biggest takeaway:

Shared this in our internal Slack group for article/resources. It's amazing and one thing we do with it beyond "blogs and virality" as it's a good way to develop templates for digital product ideas or how to frame tutorials.

We use stuff like this a lot to sharpen up how we communicate with people in videos as well :)

rajveer12

New Contributor
Nov 3, 2017
Pune
Yupp thats true you must have to give very catchy headlines for your websites which will directly impact on the mindset of the visitor. But it should be neat and clean so that they can understand your language very easily.

Argue

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Bump.

I love buzzsumo. They’re doing an excellent job. They’re a great resource.

Lately, I’ve been studying copy and I’m obsessed with headlines. They’re truly the recipe for success, in my opinion.

Interesting that “will make you” gets BIG engagement. Definitely going to add that to my “swap files”.

Also, in the article it talks about Facebook demoting “exaggerated sensational language.”

I agree, it should be. It annoys me when a product or article promises you the world, but falls short.

In my opinion, use of overtly sensational language is equal to selling snake oil. Not cool.

UnrealCreative

Be not ye the bondservant of man.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
San Juan
Why is TeveTorbes' account deleted? I thought he posted some decent stuff?
Was wondering the same thing. Can anyone chime in?

alexson

New Contributor
Aug 24, 2018
arizona, USA
This is an easy way to get catchy headlines for post or articles. Thank for sharing this tips. It will help me a lot.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Why is TeveTorbes' account deleted? I thought he posted some decent stuff?
I have no clue. Just got an email one day that said he wanted his account deleted.

So it was deleted, he didn't say why. (And I did ask because he had some good content, and I wanted to see if it was something that could be rectified.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Thanks for sharing. I want a course to optimize for other than Google engines.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock