The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Theory X Vs. Theory Y

Anything related to matters of the mind

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Theory X and Theory Y : Theories of employee Motivation

I find it difficult to operate under someone who believes in theory X. I am my own worst critic and will seek out ways to improve. I may not necessarily take those things that are presented to me because.

a. The presenter has no experience in my position. That he is just telling me what I should do as opposed to what he actually did.

b. The feedback although may be true is presented in such a way as to belittle me. So that the feedback giver feels better about themselves by attempting to make me feel smaller than an I actually am.

I thrive under Y theory as it gives me a chance to be a giver. If I am treated well I want to return that favor.

I wonder how some of you react. Do you react better trying to "show up" the person who belittled you as an X theory therefore derive satisfaction from getting even?

Or do you derive satisfaction from knowing that Person is there for you with words of understanding and encouragement and do not want to let them down?

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
I think few employees would prefer theory X over Y. Y is person centered and X is not. On the other hand if you tried implementing a Y style managerial process into a warehouse operation like mine you'd quickly find that the tight controls of X management are probably more desirable for basic routine work

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
After reading the descriptions of X vs. Y styles here is my opinion:

People described by X are the consumers of the world. With the 'world owes me a living' and 'what's in it for me' attitude they look to make the most money with the least effort. So they need systems or direct management or they will literally stop working until prodded into doing something. They may even think that the Government should support them just because they are alive and consuming.

Some of these X types also will scam any system they can in order to get more for less. Like constantly exchanging clothes to the store so are always wearing new ones but they never really buy and keep anything.

People described by Y are the producers of the world. They enjoy learning, working and doing things. They treat the job as if they own the company. If not given anything to do, they will start doing the most valuable thing they can find to do. Management of these people can be very top level. Really just the occasional direction and education. These are the natural entrepreneurs.

If you are a Y type person and are in a job you should hope to be managed with the X style. This should keep you from getting comfortable as an employee and the discomfort of the mismatch in styles should convince you to start your own company. As you should because the world needs the full amount of the value you can bring to it.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
The successful entrepreneurs that I know subscribe to the belief that employees fall under Theory X.

To paraphrase what these individuals have told me: "Employees and entrepreneurs work at cross purposes. An entrepreneur wants maximum production at minimal cost while the employee strives to have maximum compensation doing minimal work. Eventually ALL employees go lame and must be fired. It's a constant never ending cycle."

Speaking for myself, when I was an employee I was not a Theory Y employee. I saw no incentive whatsoever to be "ambitious, self-motivated, anxious to accept greater responsibility and exercise self-control, self-direction, autonomy and empowerment." There was no financial incentive to do/be all that.

In short, I believe that Theory X more accurately reflects our capitalistic society and Theory Y is a rare fantasy.

I would go even further to say that if an entrepreneur runs a business under the Theory Y fantasy, they will be brutally and terribly disappointed at best.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
The successful entrepreneurs that I know subscribe to the belief that employees fall under Theory X.

To paraphrase what these individuals have told me: "Employees and entrepreneurs work at cross purposes. An entrepreneur wants maximum production at minimal cost while the employee strives to have maximum compensation doing minimal work. Eventually ALL employees go lame and must be fired. It's a constant never ending cycle."

Speaking for myself, when I was an employee I was not a Theory Y employee. I saw no incentive whatsoever to be "ambitious, self-motivated, anxious to accept greater responsibility and exercise self-control, self-direction, autonomy and empowerment." There was no financial incentive to do/be all that.

In short, I believe that Theory X more accurately reflects our capitalistic society and Theory Y is a rare fantasy.

I would go even further to say that if an entrepreneur runs a business under the Theory Y fantasy, they will be brutally and terribly disappointed at best.
While not a fantasy I do agree that the majority of the world runs on theory X. As a manager I found most people to be unmotivated to improve. I personally have stepped out of management because I was rarely given the opportunity and the controls to set up a Y theory system. I personally believe that once a persons basic needs are fullfilled they can focus on self actualization. The problem is most people aren't aware of that themselves and you have to cycle through a lot of employees to find a keeper. And my authority was always trumped by someone else in the corporate world.

I still have a JOB in the corporate world but its more self motivated. It's a sales position based on performance. It's not my ideal job but I do well at it because I respond well to Y theory. I switched bosses because I saw this boss subscribed to the Y theory. He cycle through a lot of employees to get his team built. I suscribe that most Use X theory because of its efficiency in the short run. The one time I actually was given the opportunity to practice Y I was able to put together a pretty good team that not only did their jobs well, they actually liked me too. But I was transferred and put back into an X theory type environment.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
What I am really interested in is how you are motivated personally? What factors drove you to try to make your life better. Was it to drive towards something? Fear of Poverty? To make some one look bad and "show them?" Not to let someone down?

Whats your motus operendii? (don't know If I spelled that right. Never took latin.)

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
What I am really interested in is how you are motivated personally? What factors drove you to try to make your life better. Was it to drive towards something? Fear of Poverty? To make some one look bad and "show them?" Not to let someone down?

Whats your motus operendii? (don't know If I spelled that right. Never took latin.)

Speaking only for myself. I used to work in sales. I sold to highly intelligent surgeons. What motivated me were my relationship with my co-workers, my relationship with my customers/surgeons, and the opportunity to continually improve my selling skills.

I had no interest in getting promoted. Management seemed like a lot of work for nothing.

With regards to money, although I enjoyed the high pay, I can't say that it was a big motivator because I have quite a bit of money already.

Once I got bored, I left - after taking my fair severance of course. In Canada, the general rule of thumb is that the courts award 1 month of severance (pay) for every year of service. I would enforce this with legal action if the company resisted the idea.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
People described by Y are the producers of the world. They enjoy learning, working and doing things. They treat the job as if they own the company. If not given anything to do, they will start doing the most valuable thing they can find to do. Management of these people can be very top level. Really just the occasional direction and education. These are the natural entrepreneurs.

If you are a Y type person and are in a job you should hope to be managed with the X style. This should keep you from getting comfortable as an employee and the discomfort of the mismatch in styles should convince you to start your own company. As you should because the world needs the full amount of the value you can bring to it.

Interesting. I agree. I am a Y employee who has always been managed under Y. There's a word for people you describe as Y, intrapeneur. The companies I have worked for have definitely reaped the benefit of managing me in a Y fashion. I also agree with the getting comfortable part, If I was managed X style, I'd quit.

The only problem with the Y style of management is once an employee has reached as far as they can progress at an organisation, the incentive for intrapeneurship disappears. Two things will happen in this case, either the employee will leave for a higher paying step up job elsewhere or the employee will lose all motivation and hit cruise mode, what's the point in improving the company if there's no reward for your hard work?

When I was in management the main problem was retaining those Y employees when they'd reached as far as they could go there. A bonus scheme or a alike seemed to work.

I think what Google does with giving their employees time to work on their own projects and then rewarding them shares/cash etc. directly linked to the success of the project is a great idea! Why leave to start your own web company when the company you work for pays you to work on the project, handles distribution, marketing etc. and then makes you a part owner?

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
When I was in management the main problem was retaining those Y employees when they'd reached as far as they could go there. A bonus scheme or a alike seemed to work.

I think what Google does with giving their employees time to work on their own projects and then rewarding them shares/cash etc. directly linked to the success of the project is a great idea! Why leave to start your own web company when the company you work for pays you to work on the project, handles distribution, marketing etc. and then makes you a part owner?

You bring up some interesting points. What Google is doing is what most business owners will not do: give out ownership. Felix Dennis talks about that in his book How to Get Rich: One of the World's Greatest Entrepreneurs Shares His Secrets: Felix Dennis: 9781591842712: Amazon.com: Books where he loses his best employee rather than give him a stake in his company.

I wonder if the Google model will spread?

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I think being a Y manager is often confused wiht being a milquetoast manager. Wet soggy and wishy washy. What I would do is find the trouble makers and cut them loose. A few heads rolling always attracts attention to let people know you mean business. Then afterwards you can show you are not the devil but someone who actually cares. I let my people know what is expected and praise them for what they do right more often than criticize them for what they do wrong. In my opinion if I'm running around trying to catch them doing it wrong I'm going to be chasing my tail and forever be stressed. Once I have their respect they will have my back. I can forgive the occasional letdown. But if a letdown pattern emerges I am quick to point it out by sandwiching it between two compliments. That way they know I'm serious about improvement but I still have their back. Those that start bad patterns I let them know not to mistake my kindness for weakness. It's really about knowing when to use X. Mainly on habitually bad workers. I call it hire slow, Fire fast! 1,2,3 gone!

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida

One thing this video misses is the point at where the carrot no longer becomes effective. They are saying that simple "if.... then" tasks get you there. However these simpler jobs are lower paying. And if those jobs do not meet a persons basic needs then the incentive goes up. Once those basic needs are met they can achieve a higher self actualization. Without basic needs being met self actualization, That is contribution to community is not a priority. The study is skewed in that they used students and poor people.

One cannot collaborate until he feels safe in the community. This is nothing earth shattering. The self actualization triangle has been around for years. I have used it since my earliest days in management.

Maslow's Triangle

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.