The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The worst that can happen.

Gray Blimp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jun 21, 2016
During high school and college I created little value, which is why I am where I am today (slowlane). The only thing I have to show for that period is good times with friends. I do value those memories. I did have fun. However, now, my friends have all moved or moved on. So I have little excuse to not start creating.

Even though my ventures aren't currently expensive, they are time consuming. I don't have much fun these days. If I wasn't trying to create something for the future, I would be having more fun, would travel more, could be making more personal connections, would have some more money to invest (in equities, etc.). Hell, I may even try to change careers.

The potential upside is greater than the guaranteed downside of trying to create a business. If I try and fail completely, I would be behind financially (didn't passively invest as much), and I risk not having the good times and memories (like I do now, for the time I wasted in my teens).

I don't see any other path, I'm not going to stop. I just worry that all of this will be for nothing, and I won't even have fun twenties to show for it. I'm basically looking for someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing. Or for someone to give me a kick in the a$$.

Thanks y'all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
We can't make your choice for you, but what if you had 2 choices. In choice number one you trade 50 years of your life. You wake up after making this choice, and you're now 70 years old. You have plenty of money in your IRA, but getting up off your couch to go spend it seems like a lot of work at your age.

In choice number two you decide to take a risk. Maybe you fail, but maybe you succeed. If you succeed you wake up each day happier than the last. If you fail you wake up, and you're now 70 years old. You have plenty of money in your IRA, but getting up off your couch to go spend it seems like a lot of work at your age.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
The potential upside is greater than the guaranteed downside

There's your answer. Go for it. You only get one life at a time so you may as well take some risks to improve it.

Why does starting a business have to conflict with having fun in life? There's plenty of time every day to do both. Either way though you're taking a risk. What if you try and fail? Will your life be that bad? I fail hourly - I'm used to it. But what if you try and succeed? How awesome would that be? It's not that big a decision, just get something rolling in business, there's no long lasting personal failure if you tried. If you can think of a way to help people then it's worth a try. The worst thing that can happen is you lose some money and you helped some people.

I love risk! Go for it. You can always steer the ship once it's sailing.

Last edited:

JDMfan13

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 7, 2016
There are people who work a 9-5 and feel like that is their only option in life. They are wrong.

Likewise, there are people who spend their lives avoiding working 9-5 and feel like that is their only option. They are wrong as well.

If you're worried about the negatives, work a 9-5/part time job while doing your entrepreneurial gig. That way you'll still have an income but you will be working for a better cause and there will be a 'safety net' if things don't work out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If you're worried about the negatives, work a 9-5/part time job while doing your entrepreneurial gig. That way you'll still have an income but you will be working for a better cause and there will be a 'safety net' if things don't work out.

That's what I was going to say. Why can't you work your J.O.B., have a side business (if it fails you get another side business. If it is a success you can build it to where you can quit your day job) and have fun all at the same time? Hell, I've had 5 businesses running at the same time, active in them all and had a hell of a time in my personal life. For that matter, I have fun even when I am 'working' so I usually have fun all day every day no matter what I do. So MY question is.... why can't you do it this way?

crueldeceiver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 15, 2017
North America
There's your answer. Go for it. You only get one life at a time so you may as well take some risks to improve it.

Why does starting a business have to conflict with having fun in life? There's plenty of time every day to do both. Either way though you're taking a risk. What if you try and fail? Will your life be that bad? I fail hourly - I'm used to it. But what if you try and succeed? How awesome would that be? It's not that big a decision, just get something rolling in business, there's no long lasting personal failure if you tried. If you can think of a way to help people then it's worth a try. The worst thing that can happen is you lose some money and you helped some people.

I love risk! Go for it. You can always steer the ship once it's sailing.

I totally agree...
upload_2017-4-10_13-32-18.jpeg
The quote "Nothing worth having comes easy" can apply to all aspects of life, from your job to relationships. Anything worth havingtakes effort, so don't get discouraged when you're facing an uphill battle.Oct 2, 2013

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.