The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
So back to the topic at hand-- my area hospital is working on a plan to use plasma from recovering patients to help understand what made them recover so quickly. They are asking people to donate plasma if possible-- is this happening anywhere else or just in NY?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So back to the topic at hand-- my area hospital is working on a plan to use plasma from recovering patients to help understand what made them recover so quickly. They are asking people to donate plasma if possible-- is this happening anywhere else or just in NY?

Yes. They are doing it in Houston too.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

I saw a story on this locally in Florida this morning. They are also hoping to do blood draws from confirmed recovery patients to infuse that blood into sick patients in hopes that the antibodies help cure other virus victims.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Sure is. It’s exactly why the Framers never designed America to be a democracy, and yet our government controlled school system teaches us from a young age that we live in a democracy. We fight foreign wars in the name of “democracy.”

News flash: democracy is a load of shit. This country was designed to be, and is, a constitutional republic.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Boo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 6, 2018
One thing I've been taking advantage of is extremely high-quality restaurants (even Michelin star) are doing delivery, at affordable prices. We've ordered from a handful of the best places in our city in the last couple of weeks, and haven't regretted it once.

Would highly encourage others to do the same. The food quality is excellent, and I like to do what I can to support chefs with this level of talent. It's date night, every night right now!

tulysses

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 26, 2017
China
I've noticed ever since this pandemic became more apparent around the world and anxiety has risen, we all have seemed to devolve into becoming more critical toward each other.

Even on this forum.

Sad.

This is a great forum but I have purposely relieved myself from posting as it seems that even here it escalates to the point of becoming obstructive to the greater good.

We at least in spirit for the most part were trying to help one another.
But I'm not sure anymore.

A Great Teacher once said, "Let him that has no sin, cast the first stone"

The attitude here sometimes depresses me more than it inspires me. We all read more into the words written here and think we all know everything about that person and yet the truth be known, we all for the most part know very little of each other. Even if we've sat in a room together for a few days in a year, we really only know that limited perception.

The internet has become our new form of public lynching.

Because I can.

I have got to deliberately remove myself from this forum for a bit of time. I don't need a ringside seat in a Roman Colosseum.

I've got work to do and plans to prepare for.

Perhaps when we all get back to work, some form of commonality will prevail on this forum.

Hopefully, this isn't the new norm.

Well said!

I think this current situation is a litmus test for us entrepreneurs.

Are you truly providing value to other people?

Or are you just being selfish and want to get what you want?

To criticize is easy.

To build is hard.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
well this is some good news

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I got this in the mail today about my second home. I know that if I were staying there today I certainly wouldn’t be leaving.

View attachment 32078

Not return?!? Wt ever loving F*ck do they think they’re doing. You OWN that house and you have every right to be in it. Idiots! Way to go to piss off every person who has invested in their precious Gunnison County.. they should be happy you don’t level your house and make a parking lot. Ffs.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
From worldometers:

A study by the University of Bonn has tested a randomized sample of 1,000 residents of the town of Gangelt (an epicenter of the outbreak in Germany) and found that 2% of the population was currently infected and 14% were carrying antibodies suggesting that they had already been infected — whether or not they experienced any symptoms. Eliminating an overlap between the two groups, the team concluded that 15% of the town have been infected with the virus [source]

If these findings are correct, Germany’s actual death rate could be as low as 0.22% (2,607 deaths / (2,607 cases that have resulted in death + 1,172,000 cases that have resulted in recovery)). Assuming 14% of the German population of 83,700,000 (1,172,000 people) have been infected and have recovered. [source] [source]

Obviously you can't take numbers from an epicenter and apply them nationwide but it's interesting nonetheless.

This is also interesting (but also preliminary):

“On March 25, the area represented by the sample had approximately 446 confirmed cases of C0VlD-19,” Biobot researchers wrote Wednesday in a post about their research. “Based on our sewage analysis, we estimate that up to 115,000 people are infected and shedding the SARS-CoV-2 virus.”

Inimitable

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jan 25, 2016
NC

A lot of us pregnant women are being told we will be separated from our newborns if we test positive for COVID while in labor, or even if we're suspected of possibly having the virus. The CDC is currently recommending it be considered, but it's being made to sound like a requirement by many doctors and healthcare facilities. The WHO recommends against the separation. Not that I trust either one, but there's obvious discrepancy even between the 'expert' organizations.

I really don't like someone else making that decision for me, given that no one really knows what the right answer is. I'm afraid to go go the hospital and even cough the wrong way. When I had my daughter, I developed a low-grade fever for a little while about 24 hours after the c-section, with no explanation. What if that happens again this time? It's terrible to even think about.

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
I got this in the mail today about my second home. I know that if I were staying there today I certainly wouldn’t be leaving.

View attachment 32078
The wording of the notice couldn't be more aggressive. Who even wrote this thing? I am not from the US but is this even legal?

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona

A lot of us pregnant women are being told we will be separated from our newborns if we test positive for COVID while in labor, or even if we're suspected of possibly having the virus. The CDC is currently recommending it be considered, but it's being made to sound like a requirement by many doctors and healthcare facilities. The WHO recommends against the separation. Not that I trust either one, but there's obvious discrepancy even between the 'expert' organizations.

I really don't like someone else making that decision for me, given that no one really knows what the right answer is. I'm afraid to go go the hospital and even cough the wrong way. When I had my daughter, I developed a low-grade fever for a little while about 24 hours after the c-section, with no explanation. What if that happens again this time? It's terrible to even think about.

My friend gave birth April 1 in Oregon. She was running a fever (a result of amniotic fluid infection, probably also affected by 16 hours in labor), so the baby was taken away immediately after birth and placed in a separate room. She was given the rapid test, which gave a negative result four hours later, and she was reunited with the baby.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
The only cure for coronavirus is some limes.

I prefer modelovirus though, if im honest.

But in all seriousness, the media is sensationalizing things like usual. 2 Weeks ago we were on the brink of world war 3, now the next plague is upon us.

Also, compared to 100 years ago, we've come a long way with our understanding of viruses and treatment. In people with healthy immune systems, it is rarely fatal. The people who have died were already in poor health.

The jokes and memes I've seen going around show how "concerned" people actually are about this.

Ironically I have a bit of a stuffy nose and sore throat as I type this, so it was nice knowing you guys.

Yes, thankyou. the media IS taking this all out of porportions. Yes, we should be worried, but Covid has a very small lethal rate. As long as we do what we think is appropriate for us not to catch covid, we most likely will not die

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

They started doing this in China somewhere around mid-to-late Feb, that was the first time I read about this treatment, where they were asking recovered patients to come forth. It was used with amazing results, and I suspect is one of the contributing reasons why after that period, their number of active cases started falling fast. Not sure of the exact process (medical terms are confusing af) but it was something like extracting stuff from the plasma and injecting it into the severely ill patients to help them recover fast.

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada

I don’t have anything to add but my wife just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on April 7th in Canada. We heard the same rumours that you had and thankfully we got out in just under 2 days. The staff were great but there seemed to be no consistent standards(granted we are small town Saskatchewan). No one wore a mask except the doctor and even the doctor didn’t wear it every time she came in to see us. They also didn’t seem to have the hospital rules nailed down. I asked if I could leave to get a bite( I couldn’t get anything because cafeteria/gift shop was closed.)The nurse didn’t know, she wasn’t sure they would let me in or not. These aren’t meant as criticisms couldn’t have had a nicer group of doctors, nurses and support staff just that they seemed to be a bit in the dark themselves. All the post-natal visits/appointments are cancelled, and it sounds like even the public health nurses aren’t visiting after births. I would definitely say while beautiful (obviously) it was a very stressful 2 days, constantly worried you might get a fever, and I would be forced to leave or worse my wife come down with something and the baby would be separated. We never asked and they never told us what would happen if either felt sick. And then my poor wife worried about doorknobs, fridge handles etc. It’s good to be home.

I wish you well on your delivery Inimitable.

Last edited:

Inimitable

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jan 25, 2016
NC
My friend gave birth April 1 in Oregon. She was running a fever (a result of amniotic fluid infection, probably also affected by 16 hours in labor), so the baby was taken away immediately after birth and placed in a separate room. She was given the rapid test, which gave a negative result four hours later, and she was reunited with the baby.

That's awesome that they had the rapid tests available. I hope we have them in my hospital when I deliver.

I don’t have anything to add but my wife just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on April 7th in Canada. We heard the same rumours that you had and thankfully we got out in just under 2 days. The staff were great but there seemed to be no consistent standards(granted we are small town Saskatchewan). No one wore a mask except the doctor and even the doctor didn’t wear it every time she came in to see us. They also didn’t seem to have the hospital rules nailed down. I asked if I could leave to get a bite( I couldn’t get anything because cafeteria/gift shop was closed.)The nurse didn’t know, she wasn’t sure they would let me in or not. These aren’t meant as criticisms couldn’t have had a nicer group of doctors, nurses and support staff just that they seemed to be a bit in the dark themselves. All the post-natal visits/appointments are cancelled, and it sounds like even the public health nurses aren’t visiting after births. I would definitely say while beautiful (obviously) it was a very stressful 2 days, constantly worried you might get a fever, and I would be forced to leave or worse my wife come down with something and the baby would be separated. We never asked and they told us what would happen if either felt sick. And then my poor wife worried about doorknobs, fridge handles etc. It’s good to be home.

Thank you! It's always good to hear others' experiences, since it's turned into such a scary thing. I'm only 33 weeks right now, so I'm hoping the infection rates will be reduced by then.

Rwill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Sep 9, 2019
canada
I don’t have anything to add but my wife just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on April 7th in Canada. We heard the same rumours that you had and thankfully we got out in just under 2 days. The staff were great but there seemed to be no consistent standards(granted we are small town Saskatchewan). No one wore a mask except the doctor and even the doctor didn’t wear it every time she came in to see us. They also didn’t seem to have the hospital rules nailed down. I asked if I could leave to get a bite( I couldn’t get anything because cafeteria/gift shop was closed.)The nurse didn’t know, she wasn’t sure they would let me in or not. These aren’t meant as criticisms couldn’t have had a nicer group of doctors, nurses and support staff just that they seemed to be a bit in the dark themselves. All the post-natal visits/appointments are cancelled, and it sounds like even the public health nurses aren’t visiting after births. I would definitely say while beautiful (obviously) it was a very stressful 2 days, constantly worried you might get a fever, and I would be forced to leave or worse my wife come down with something and the baby would be separated. We never asked and they told us what would happen if either felt sick. And then my poor wife worried about doorknobs, fridge handles etc. It’s good to be home.

My wife is due in 4 weeks. We've been told that 3 of the doctors where we will deliver are being kept out of the ER rotation to prevent exposure. One of these doctors will be our deliverer but we won't know until then. Once we deliver we won't be allowed to stay overnight in the facility, but will be subject to home visits. In all honesty I can't complain, it's reasonable under the circumstances.

No one in our immediate area has so far tested positive.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
In Australia we are not allowed to go camping, fishing, to the park. Nothing really.

My police officer friend is depressed, he said to me it's so f*cked up he has to go around and tell people not to live their lives.

He hates the restrictions as much as us and is also worried that government won't give up the power, here in Australia.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
In Australia we are not allowed to go camping, fishing, to the park. Nothing really.

My police officer friend is depressed, he said to me it's so f*cked up he has to go around and tell people not to live their lives.

He hates the restrictions as much as us and is also worried that government won't give up the power, here in Australia.
I don’t think in this case governments are interested in that power to monitor movements.

In fact the trend is that they are trying to gamble that this thing is going away on its own without having to freeze the economy, until it becomes obvious that the virus is not going away without drastic draconian social distancing measures. Governments are more worried about having to spend money and no tax to collect.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
In Germany people dont wait for buying, but the wait at the recycling center to get rid of the wast.

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
It is worrisome, I am a member of a large message board for the Calgary Flames Hockey team. (Been a member since 2002, but lost my interest in pro sports a long time ago.) in any event they have actually have quite a vibrant off topic board which I follow for more local news/events since I moved from that area 10 years ago.

So Calgary would be one of the more conservative cities in Canada, and being a sports message board, I assume is 90% male, probably 25-45 year olds, and I know from my somewhat limited personal interactions that many of the regular posters are quite affluent. In any event I would think this should be a group that is non-socialist, pro get back to work, with a healthy dose of male machoness and invincibility. Their Covid thread has been a depressing eye opener to me. They are almost trying to one up each other for more draconian measures, higher fines and tickets, unlimited quarantining, etc. The most recent target was grocery shopping and how the government needs to clamp down on that (How I have no idea). Encouraging to call the snitch line for anything they consider a risk. There was a discussion on golf and how all the courses need to be shut down, because people won’t be able to observe social distancing rules and can’t be trusted. The risk of social shaming has people proclaiming that though they have paid incredibly expensive dues they completely support the courses being totally closed because people can’t be trusted. I look at my 4 day old and wonder if I made a mistake bringing him into this world. (Not really but you get my point.)

I say all this as someone who is still worried about the virus and is trying to essentially quarantine myself and family. ( I have the advantage of living on a farm so not that big of adjustment for us). I am not a“nothingburger” proclaimer but what I see is truly frightening.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
It is worrisome, I am a member of a large message board for the Calgary Flames Hockey team. (Been a member since 2002, but lost my interest in pro sports a long time ago.) in any event they have actually have quite a vibrant off topic board which I follow for more local news/events since I moved from that area 10 years ago.

So Calgary would be one of the more conservative cities in Canada, and being a sports message board, I assume is 90% male, probably 25-45 year olds, and I know from my somewhat limited personal interactions that many of the regular posters are quite affluent. In any event I would think this should be a group that is non-socialist, pro get back to work, with a healthy dose of male machoness and invincibility. Their Covid thread has been a depressing eye opener to me. They are almost trying to one up each other for more draconian measures, higher fines and tickets, unlimited quarantining, etc. The most recent target was grocery shopping and how the government needs to clamp down on that (How I have no idea). Encouraging to call the snitch line for anything they consider a risk. There was a discussion on golf and how all the courses need to be shut down, because people won’t be able to observe social distancing rules and can’t be trusted. The risk of social shaming has people proclaiming that though they have paid incredibly expensive dues they completely support the courses being totally closed because people can’t be trusted. I look at my 4 day old and wonder if I made a mistake bringing him into this world. (Not really but you get my point.)

I say all this as someone who is still worried about the virus and is trying to essentially quarantine myself and family. ( I have the advantage of living on a farm so not that big of adjustment for us). I am not a“nothingburger” proclaimer but what I see is truly frightening.

It's worrying that the default human nature seems to be "trust the government, they know best"

Maybe people don't think that an oppressive government could happen to us because "we live in america and that wont happen here" I realize you're in Canada, but in America it surprises me because we love our freedom (supposedly).

It's good that we have our freedom, but we all take it for granted because we didn't have to fight for it. We've never been in the position where it could possibly be taken away from us so blatantly.

As far as people snitching, there will always be people who do that. Whether it's the kid who always reminds the teacher about homework, or the comrade who is snitching on you to the government, there will always be those people that love to kiss the authorities a$$.

I don't think this virus is a nothing burger either, bit I don't think it has proved to be worthy of the reaction we are having to it.

Do I think this is the beginning of the death of freedom? No. I think we will be back to normal sooner rather than later. All of these conspiracies are mostly just interesting to talk about, but there are messed up things happening everywhere.

But what is concerning, is the precedent we are setting for future viral outbreaks. Where we lock down on a whim and willingly give up our freedoms.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Found an interesting study they conducted in Yale:

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(16)30972-2

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxDuTfrP2Q

"In viral infections however, cells need glucose to properly respond to unfolded proteins. When eating, glucose is abundant. Therefore, during a viral infection, eating provides glucose, which may be necessary survival."

Folks, this is not the time for keto or fasting.
Now I get it why there's honey in a Hot Toddy and why it's a cure for the cold ...I always thought the whiskey was the crucial ingredient;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.