The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'd like to give a bit of recognition to someone who usually shys away from the spotlight. There is a forum member who behind the scenes is working to make the global crisis a bit easier for the first responders. In an era where "entrepreneurs" get a bad rap from profiting on the misfortune and/or increased demand for in-demand products, there are some people behind the scenes.

A week or two ago I let it be known that I was searching for medical grade masks to equip an organization who has jump teams that are providing critical machine maintenance to hotspot hospitals in a several state service area. Their teams were out of N95 masks, yet continued working and going straight into hospitals dealing with CoronaVirus patients.

And in typical Fastlane Forum member fashion, a trait unique amongst many INSIDERS at this place in contrast to the rest of the internet (and world, seemingly) a fastlane member stepped up and gave selflessly. Pulling some strings, he arranged for the delivery to me of multiple boxes of N95 masks. And before you ask, he depleted his entire resource to help me provide to this team, FREE OF CHARGE, with the critical protection they needed, just when they needed it. He sent me BOXES of masks, whose retail value has shot through the roof. The same products that are selling for ridiculous multiples, the same products that are impossible to get, the same masks that could have created a crazy profit had he just kept them and sold them... he sent them. In fact, he overnighted them. For free.

I was able to get them into the hands of the jump teams, who will be using them on the front lines. At a minimum, this selfless act kept people from getting sick, and possibly many due to the multiplication effect. At a maximum, we'll never know if he just literally may have saved a life or two or more.

I am not going to OUT him here, as he is the type of guy that doesn't ever ask for the limelight. For those of you who have attended the past few meetups, you might be able to pinpoint who it is but I ask that you not speculate on these pages to maintain his privacy and anonymity. But I know he will see this post, and I know that he already knows he's appreciated with a debt that cannot be repaid.

And that, folks, is what keeps a lot of us connected together through this forum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I love the confirmation bias in this thread...

Guy says, "Here's my data..." and people say, "BULLSHIT!!! HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED!!!"

Media then says, "Guy admits data is wrong..." and people say, "LOOK AT THE NEW DATA...HE'S RIGHT THIS TIME!!! SEE!!! WE WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG!!!"

Guy then says, "Media misinterpreted me..." and people say, "BULLSHIT!!! HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED!!!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Except you, right? Everyone except you.

I'm done updating this thread with what I find for ya'all. It's become absurdity on both sides, and eroded from a discussion and fact finding mission into divided drivel. It started as one of the best threads in the history of this forum, but now has run it's course.

I have had one LEGENDARY MEMBER let me know he was bailing on the forum completely due to the sheer douchebagery of this thread, determining that he needed a break from you (nearly) all.

So, I'll still be reading, and moderating, but I will leave the commentary to the rest of you (armchair) experts. Ya'all can talk into your own reflection. Never forget that intellectual disagreement is not only healthy, but enlightening. Never stop learning. Don't be afraid to be wrong, as that recognition and acknowledgment just may be the edge of true wisdom.

Here's hoping to a continued trend of a break in the curve, and here's hoping that anyone whose eyes grace these pages stays healthy, stays smart, and stays CoronaVirus free.

- Dave

Last edited:

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
This post is not for everyone, but I have been getting calls everyday about ways to TRY to protect yourself. I am working on a podcast episode (out tonight or tomorrow) on this topic of personal protection using the principles of sterility and sanitation from my medical training. Realize that these are not proven, these are my ideas based on extrapolation from lots of experience and practice in sterile techniques.

NOTE: Anything related to cleaning with chemicals, make sure you read the handling and safety warnings, chemicals can cause injury if not used properly in the proper setting.

For those into this type of thing, you might find this interesting...

-------------------------

Practical Coronavirus Protection for Your Family and Friends

Nothing except perfect isolation is 100%, precautions can help reduce the risk though.

Medical workers take precautions to reduce (Cannot Completely Eliminate) risk. Depending on measures taken, can nearly eliminate risk (e.g. hazmat suits with self breathing apparatus), but this type of stuff is not practical in almost all settings.

This is not an exact science, the goal always is to reduce risks as much as possible.

Realize to do this well requires obsessive behavior and thought to what you are doing. Lots of people probably can’t realistically pull this off, depends on attitude and personality.

General plan is personal cover up, isolation or sanitation of any exposed item.

Masks
  • CDC Guidance for the pubic is misleading - should are most effective as part of comprehensive PPE protection. Effectiveness is reduced if used alone without other cover-up. Effectiveness almost certainly > 0% when used alone.
  • Masks were reportedly part of the Chinese strategy, recommended for everyone.
    • Help prevent infected from spreading to others
    • Help prevent uninfected from catching it
  • Mask removal - minimize contact, touch finger loops behind ears
  • Sanitation - Isolate mask for days, some recommend heat In oven at 160 for 30 min (Unknown effectiveness)
Other PPE
  • Masks are just one part of PPE, it’s part of whole body protection
  • You could duplicate this personally
    • Cover as much or your body as reasonable before you leave
    • Idea loose fitting, easy to remove items that you can wash often
      • Sweat pants, scrubs, PJ pants, etc
      • Loose fitting long sleeve shirts, zippered light jackets, etc
      • Gloves, rubber or other impermeable is ideal, but other still offer protection
      • Head covering, hat or beanie.
    • Shoes
      • May be harder to protect since we shoe covers are harder to duplicate
      • If possible can leave shoes outside, ideally in sunshine
      • Multiple pairs, of shoes, rotate and let sit days between wears
    • Part of PPE is removal techniques
      • Think inside vs outside
      • Remove by touching outside with gloved had, inside with ungloved hand
        • Do not touch any part inside clothes while gloved
        • Do not touch any part outside clothes after ungloved
        • Take off shoes while gloved, quarantine shoes (ideally 3 days in sunshine)
        • Step into house from outside with everything else on
        • Place items into wash machine, ideally leave washer open before you left
        • Remove sweat pants, touching only outside during removal. Place in washer.
        • Remove hat beanie, touch only outside. Place in Washer
        • Remove Gloves
          • First glove pull off from fingers
          • Second glove place finger inside top of other glove without touching outside
          • Place in Washer if machine washable
        • Remove shirt or jacket
          • If jacket should unzip before gloves removed (don’t remove yet)
          • After gloves are removed, remove shirt or jacket only touching part against your body (not outside)
          • Place in washer
        • Run washer with hot water and detergents, bleach is best if it won’t ruin the clothes since bleach is sanitizing.
      • Wash hands and arms up to elbows with soap and water for 20 seconds with good scrubbing.
Cars
  • Things like cars and dealing with purchased products are hard situations
  • Letting sit in sun (heat + UV) should help sanitize.
  • Alcohol or other sanitizing wipes, be careful of bleach based products.
  • Use gloves and makeshift PPE even in car, don’t want to accidentally contaminate hands
  • Leave non-perishable heat stable groceries in the car for 2+ days, or quarantine them away from your living space if possible.
  • Other bags place on counter top (assume infected), sanitize counters after done and bags disposed of
  • Wash and clean things before putting away using appropriate products.
    • Becareful of what you put directly on food you will eat.
    • Dilute bleach solution in sink (read how to do this, bleach can burn if not diluted right)
    • Alcohol
    • Soap & Water
    • Soak in water
Behavior Changes
  • Start thinking what likely clean vs likely dirty
  • Touch presumed dirty with gloved hand
  • Touch presumed clean with ungloved hand
  • Sometimes you will need to wear one glove with other hand ungloved
  • Regular hand washing
Supplements
  • This isn’t my area I’m experienced in, and I haven’t looked at studies or data
  • Zinc, decrease virus access to cells
  • Vitamin C, optimize immune health
Packages
  • Time, open air, and sunshine sanitize (1 day min, ideally 2-3)
  • Alcohol and bleach solutions sanitize
  • Quarantine and/or clean packages
Rooms Sick or Quarantined Have Stayed In
  • Communicate with sick by cell or factime/skype if possible
  • Check on them in person if ever in doubt about their well being or you can’t reach them, mask and PPE like going out if appropriate and able.
  • After they clear the illness, it would take several days and the room should clear of any live virus. Can use Clorox wipes and alcohol on hard surfaces as extra precaution
  • If people are placed into 14 day quarantine and never develop any symptoms, it is presumed they were never infected, and the room should not need any decontamination procedure.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I prefer to deal in facts and data, and revise my beliefs as new facts and data emerge.

For the record, it's people like you and @GIlman (and some others) that keep me coming back to this thread - people with data-driven attitudes that are willing to change and revise their opinions and theories as better data emerges.

This forum may have a rule against politics, but the attitude of some of the people in this thread is starting to sound a hell of a like like talking politics around the thanksgiving table.

I genuinely wonder if this is because a few days/weeks back, this was all theory about "other places". It's pretty easy to be impartial about how this is affecting the UK, affecting China, affecting Italy. We looked at numbers and went "huh, looking like...". But the last few days/week things have changed - it's on the majority of this forum's doorstep in Canada/USA. Numbers don't matter as much when it's in your backyard - now it's all about how you think it SHOULD work out, because it's personal. Just a theory.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just announced in Ireland... From midnight tonight until 12 April, everybody must stay at home except in specific circumstances.

This is with 2,121 confirmed cases, 71 in ICU, and 22 deaths. The worry is the trend.

Again, I'm struck by the clarity, measuredness, and leadership of the Irish government.

Here's the national news reporting on the announcement:

Here's more details (from: New restrictions: Exceptions for leaving your home).

With effect from midnight tonight, for two weeks until Easter Sunday 12 April, everybody must stay at home in all circumstances:

Except

- To travel to and from work for the purposes of work only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service or cannot be done from home (a list of these will be provided)

- To shop for food or household goods or collect a meal

- To attend medical appointments or collect medicines and other health products

- For vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people

- To take brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home which may include children from your own household as long as you adhere to two-metre physical distancing

- For farming purposes that is food production and care of animals

- All public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited. The virus might be in your household already so please don't spread it to someone else

- This prohibition includes social family visits that are not for vital reasons already mentioned

- A further range of non-essential shops and services will be closed. The guidance given earlier this week in respect of retail outlets will be revised to reflect this

- Adult community education centres and local community centres will be shut

- All non-essential surgery and health procedures and all other non-essential health services will be postponed

- All visits to hospitals, residential healthcare settings and prisons are to cease, with specific exceptions on compassionate grounds

- Shielding or cocooning will be introduced for all those 70 years of age and specified categories of people who are extremely vulnerable to C0VlD-19

- Travel to our offshore islands will be limited to residents of those islands

- Pharmacists will be permitted to dispense medicines outside of the current period of validity with an existing prescription in line with the pharmacists clinical judgement

- All public transport and passenger travel will be restricted to essential workers and people providing essential services

- Outside of the reasons listed there is to be no travel outside a 2km radius of your home for any reason

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
They've tragically announced 919 deaths in Italy in the past 24 hours:
  • C0VlD-19: Highest daily death toll as 919 die in Italy

... and 769 in Spain:
  • Spain virus death toll rises by 769 in a day

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
They've tragically announced 919 deaths in Italy in the past 24 hours:
  • C0VlD-19: Highest daily death toll as 919 die in Italy

... and 769 in Spain:
  • Spain virus death toll rises by 769 in a day
Here's some good news, though. This is the daily increase of new cases chart for Italy. Its levelling off, it seems

(you have to click on Italy on the left and then click Daily Increase on the bottom right to see this graph)

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-27 144739.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-27 144739.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 4

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's some good news, though. This is the daily increase of new cases chart for Italy. Its levelling off, it seems

(you have to click on Italy on the left and then click Daily Increase on the bottom right to see this graph)
Cool. Good to see some good news.

The reason for my two back to back posts was that we need to be proactive and preemptive because the danger is very real.

In Ireland the community is responding because of the leadership from the top and their clear communication.

As the interviewer said in the clip you found (posted above this comment, and I paraphrase) ... it instills us with confidence when the leadership has clarity of purpose and is acting decisively and communicating clearly.

My dad was in the army for 22 years. He tells a story of after he'd left the military and was on a health and safety course. Everyone was asked to stand up and present to the group. The instructor said he'd certainly got everyone's attention and they all knew what needed to be done. (I can only imagine!)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I'm done updating this thread with what I find for ya'all. It's become absurdity on both sides, and eroded from a discussion and fact finding mission into divided drivel. It started as one of the best threads in the history of this forum, but now has run it's course.
Selfishly, I hope you reconsider, because even though we don't quite agree on where this is going, you've added a lot to this thread, and it won't be the same without you. (Dammit.)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Selfishly, I hope you reconsider, because even though we don't quite agree on where this is going, you've added a lot to this thread, and it won't be the same without you. (Dammit.)

you're still my fav

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Bank-Pix-2020March27.JPG
So today, I try to deposit some checks for my husband's biz. I tried three times and never actually succeeded in reaching a teller. (Thanks to the virus, they've gone pretty much to drive-thru only.) This is how long the line was when the bank closed, leaving everyone waiting out of luck. I called the bank to see what was going on. They said it's a combination of technical problems and so many bank employees off work because schools are closed.

IMO, this is the kind of thing that leads to bank runs. People start to worry, "What the heck's going on? Why can't I get my money? How come I've tried three times and haven't been able to access my account?"

On other forums, people have mentioned that they've been unable to withdraw as much money as they'd like because banks are running short of cash on-hand.

On my first attempt today, the lines weren't moving because the Brinks (or whatever) truck was restocking cash. On my second attempt, I sat at the front of the line for 20 minutes, and never actually connected with a teller. The above pix shows what happened during my third unsuccessful attempt.

Crazy.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I'd like to give a bit of recognition to someone who usually shys away from the spotlight. There is a forum member who behind the scenes is working to make the global crisis a bit easier for the first responders. In an era where "entrepreneurs" get a bad rap from profiting on the misfortune and/or increased demand for in-demand products, there are some people behind the scenes.

A week or two ago I let it be known that I was searching for medical grade masks to equip an organization who has jump teams that are providing critical machine maintenance to hotspot hospitals in a several state service area. Their teams were out of N95 masks, yet continued working and going straight into hospitals dealing with CoronaVirus patients.

And in typical Fastlane Forum member fashion, a trait unique amongst many INSIDERS at this place in contrast to the rest of the internet (and world, seemingly) a fastlane member stepped up and gave selflessly. Pulling some strings, he arranged for the delivery to me of multiple boxes of N95 masks. And before you ask, he depleted his entire resource to help me provide to this team, FREE OF CHARGE, with the critical protection they needed, just when they needed it. He sent me BOXES of masks, whose retail value has shot through the roof. The same products that are selling for ridiculous multiples, the same products that are impossible to get, the same masks that could have created a crazy profit had he just kept them and sold them... he sent them. In fact, he overnighted them. For free.

I was able to get them into the hands of the jump teams, who will be using them on the front lines. At a minimum, this selfless act kept people from getting sick, and possibly many due to the multiplication effect. At a maximum, we'll never know if he just literally may have saved a life or two or more.

I am not going to OUT him here, as he is the type of guy that doesn't ever ask for the limelight. For those of you who have attended the past few meetups, you might be able to pinpoint who it is but I ask that you not speculate on these pages to maintain his privacy and anonymity. But I know he will see this post, and I know that he already knows he's appreciated with a debt that cannot be repaid.

And that, folks, is what keeps a lot of us connected together through this forum.
Thanks to both of you!

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014

I have had one LEGENDARY MEMBER let me know he was bailing on the forum completely due to the sheer douchebagery of this thread, determining that he needed a break from you (nearly) all.

So, I'll still be reading, and moderating, but I will leave the commentary to the rest of you (armchair) experts. Ya'all can talk into your own reflection. Never forget that intellectual disagreement is not only healthy, but enlightening. Never stop learning. Don't be afraid to be wrong, as that recognition and acknowledgment just may be the edge of true wisdom.

Here's hoping to a continued trend of a break in the curve, and here's hoping that anyone whose eyes grace these pages stays healthy, stays smart, and stays CoronaVirus free.

- Dave

I appreciate people contributing from different view points, hopefully things mellow out and we hear your voice again. Totally get wanting to take a breather or time away.

Hopefully it wasn’t my replies pushing you away, I mean no disrespect to anyone really, just trying to sort things out like everyone else. Well in full honesty I was a little snippy toward @Rivoli which I shouldn’t have been, just lots of his replies seemed like trolling, so I starting trolling the troll as it where. Your comments, even though often opposite of mine, I felt you had put honest time, thought, and energy into formulating. And I value anyone who is honestly trying to engage in meaningful discussion.

thanks for your contributions.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
On the lighter side, saw this today, it’s been like this all day. Since white gold is in such high demand, I was shocked on one grabbed it and took a risk on it. I don’t think anyone knows what this means. Someone’s going to just go for it eventually I assume.

61E26406-E22E-4BF1-B66F-1AF2E561EB73.jpeg

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
On the lighter side, saw this today, it’s been like this all day. Since white gold is in such high demand, I was shocked on one grabbed it and took a risk on it. I don’t think anyone knows what this means. Someone’s going to just go for it eventually I assume.

View attachment 31593
Dang! I was wondering where I'd left that.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

View attachment 31593
we lucked out and were able to grab a costco sized bag of the stuff. I've never been so grateful to see a shelf full of toilet paper in our closet. Wife and I were plotting and scheming on what to do if we ran out. None of the ideas we came up with were all that appealing.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
They don't work unless they're part of a full system. Its like a ship with a giant hole in the bottom. You can have the nicest engine, airtight compartments all over the place, etc.

No, the masks themselves work. You put a mask on your face properly and they form a protective barrier around your nose and mouth.

Masks were not designed to block viruses from getting onto your clothing or eyes or hair. They do what they were designed to do.

A ship with a giant hole in the bottom in not a ship. The engine inside that broken ship would still be an engine that functions as an engine.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
No, the masks themselves work. You put a mask on your face properly and they form a protective barrier around your nose and mouth.

Masks were not designed to block viruses from getting onto your clothing or eyes or hair. They do what they were designed to do.

A ship with a giant hole in the bottom in not a ship. The engine inside that broken ship would still be an engine that functions as an engine.
I feel like we're talking at each other, not with. So, I'll bow out.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
View attachment 31592
So today, I try to deposit some checks for my husband's biz. I tried three times and never actually succeeded in reaching a teller. (Thanks to the virus, they've gone pretty much to drive-thru only.) This is how long the line was when the bank closed, leaving everyone waiting out of luck. I called the bank to see what was going on. They said it's a combination of technical problems and so many bank employees off work because schools are closed.

IMO, this is the kind of thing that leads to bank runs. People start to worry, "What the heck's going on? Why can't I get my money? How come I've tried three times and haven't been able to access my account?"

On other forums, people have mentioned that they've been unable to withdraw as much money as they'd like because banks are running short of cash on-hand.

On my first attempt today, the lines weren't moving because the Brinks (or whatever) truck was restocking cash. On my second attempt, I sat at the front of the line for 20 minutes, and never actually connected with a teller. The above pix shows what happened during my third unsuccessful attempt.

Crazy.

What state is that?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
What state is that?
Alabama. On a related note, I just saw on the news that a bank employee was diagnosed as positive. Maybe that's part of it. Apparently, the employee's co-workers are now in quarantine. I suspect they're very low-staffed right now. BTW, this isn't a huge bank. It's a local/regional credit union.

Still, I've got to admit, it was a bit unsettling.

(Edit to add: When I called about it, I had the impression that the technical problems, though, might be part of a wider issue. I don't believe this credit union runs their own networks, but I could be wrong.)

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Guys kinda off topic but does anyone know a manufacturer or a distributor in the USA that has 3-ply or 2-ply surgical masks that I can purchase? Our hospitals in Canada are turning to media outlets to ask for free donations of these surgical masks and nobody seems to be stepping up. They cost like $0.3/mask so I was thinking of buying around 10,000 to give out to these hospitals. PM me please!

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Anyone here watch 3Blue1Brown on Youtube?

He just released a very interesting C0VlD-19 infection simulation.

It's based on similar principles as what was done in previous leading studies - but in these simulations, the guy asks and answers a lot of the same questions we're asking in this thread.

Really cool to see, at least mathematically, what can happen in a variety of different scenarios and which variables matter most.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxAaO2rsdIs

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

- Dave
Well if it's worth anything I've appreciated your updates, and would prefer you continued. But whatever you feel is best.

Our stats aren't that great at this point. It's a constantly evolving, difficult to measure situation.

Regardless, look at the irony...

Brilliant scientist comes out with catastrophic model and it makes headline news worldwide and is used as the basis for shutdowns and pandemic pandemonium

SAME GUY comes out a few weeks later, and in a move that is uncharasteric of his industry, admits a significant error and revises his own previous forecast to non-cataclysmic - :::crickets:::

If HE was part of the basis for the PANIC, HE has to be part of the voice of reason for the solution
I've been away from the thread for a couple days. What's this in reference to.

Edit, never mind... just saw the Dailywire article.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Anyone here watch 3Blue1Brown on Youtube?

He just released a very interesting C0VlD-19 infection simulation.

It's based on similar principles as what was done in previous leading studies - but in these simulations, the guy asks and answers a lot of the same questions we're asking in this thread.

Really cool to see, at least mathematically, what can happen in a variety of different scenarios and which variables matter most.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxAaO2rsdIs
One of my all-time favorite channels.

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
A question for Gilman
Why is social distancing so effective? If it can live in the air for 3 hours whether I am 1 foot away from the infected person or arrive in their contaminated air two steps later doesn’t seem like it would make much difference.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
A question for Gilman
Why is social distancing so effective? If it can live in the air for 3 hours whether I am 1 foot away from the infected person or arrive in their contaminated air two steps later doesn’t seem like it would make much difference.

There are probably several reasons.

First, the further you are from another person, the more diluted the innoculum (virus exposure) becomes. It spreads out in the air in 3 dimensions, so it diluted by a factor to the third power (cubed), because that’s how the volume of air expands on three dimension. So say 1 foot away would be dilution of 1 ; (1x1x1), 2 ft apart dilution of 1/8 (2x2x2). At 6 ft the dilution is 1/216 (6x6x6), at 10 feet 1/1000, at 100 ft 1/1,000,000. As you can see the amount the virus is diluted in the air rapidly increased with even small to modest increases in distance. Hope that’s not too confusing to follow.

Besides the dilution effect, we believe that transmission is droplet, droplets have considerable mass and fall out of the air over time. The further you are away from the source, the more likely that stuff has settled to the ground or other surfaces before it gets to you.

Not every exposure even if you breathe it in results in you getting infected. Your body produces mucous and has other mechanisms to protect yourself from infection. The larger the # of viruses in the innoculem, the higher the probability that you convert to infection.

So anything that decreases the # of virus particles you are exposed to the less likely you are to become infected from any exposure. All exposures have risk, some are tiny and some are huge risks based on viral load.

Of course there is a time component. The longer you stay in the same space as an infected person the more likely you receive a high enough virus exposure to get infected. Also those droplets will settle out on surfaces around you or your clothes over time that increases your risk.

Greater distance between people and decreased time together decreases risks as described.

If you are meeting with people, as opposed to uncontrolled exposure to other people. Choose to meet outside in the direct sun with as much space as comfortable to talk, UV kills viruses and bacteria which offers added protection on top of distance.

Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
This is somewhat of a rant, but if anyone here is in the high risk section yet not taking care of yourself as best you can, you're kind of being a selfish a-hole to your family.

My dad has diverticulitis and diabetes, and complained to me about some of the food he eats that makes him feel unwell. Then told me he let the guy at the store he was just at have it, for using gloves but still handling money and everyone using the pinpad.

Won't listen to any thoughts on alternative diets because they"eat healthy already and always have."

And the thing he was buying at the store? Cigs.

Almost ALL of the people I know over 50 are doing a terrible job.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.