The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
The US has surpassed every country with 82,000 confirmed cases.

China has 81,000 confirmed cases with 60,000 recoveries in Hubei
Italy has 80,000 confirmed cases with 11,000 recoveries

US has 82,000 confirmed cases with 600 recoveries.

WE SLACKIN!!!!

Any ideas on how the entrepreneurial-minded folks can help out our healthcare system? It seems to be being put to the test right now... and failing in comparison with other countries.
Imagine believing CCP numbers.

I will remind you that the growth rate of the virus after the lockdown in China was a miraculous 2.1%, every day until it was caught on social media.

The most important thing all American entrepreneurs can do is to completely disconnect their companies with the CCP. Bring as MUCH possible back to this country.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Not sure where your data is from but according to this Coronavirus Testing – Source Data a few countries have tested more than the US.

The US has tested around 800,000 as of today. That’s way more than any other country.

Did you check your source? It says we tested 37k. We have 80k total confirmed cases.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
The US has tested around 800,000 as of today. That’s way more than any other country.

Did you check your source? It says we tested 37k. We have 80k total confirmed cases.
This looks like a pretty reliable source of testing data... it shows 519,338 tests in the U.S. at this point:

All the data we publish is collected and double-checked by humans consulting official state/territory data sources. We prize accuracy and completeness over speed.

SITE: The COVID Tracking Project

Also should look at # of test per thousand of population as we have about 6x the population per capita than South Korea, for example...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
According to the CDC, you're wrong. The number is about 103,000 as of today:

Come on JScott. That’s saying The positive rate would be 80%. It’s 10% according to Birx today. The CDC reporting is not counting every test in the country. I’m not even sure its counting all the tests from quest and labcorp

EDIT: The CDC says right on its site, it includes the CDC tests (which almost no one is doing anymore since its so slow) and the public health labs. Almost all testing is being done via commercial labs now. I recommend checking your sources before posting - you only get what you settle for.

Heres a slightly more accurate source for you, but it still hasn’t included all tests.

Last edited:

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
This looks like a pretty reliable source of testing data... it shows 519,338 tests in the U.S. at this point:
All the data we publish is collected and double-checked by humans consulting official state/territory data sources. We prize accuracy and completeness over speed.

SITE: The COVID Tracking Project

Also should look at # of test per thousand of population as we have about 6x the population per capita than South Korea, for example...

I don’t think they have every thing. I believe I read somewhere you have to add the CDC numbers to the state numbers (which they are collecting) which puts you at around 600,000 tests.

I’m going of Birx answer yesterday where she said the tests currently have a 10% positive rate, so 80k cases means 800,000 tests. She probably has the most accurate data.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
I don’t think they have every thing. I believe I read somewhere you have to add the CDC numbers to the state numbers (which they are collecting) which puts you at around 600,000 tests.

I’m going of Birx answer yesterday where she said the tests currently have a 10% positive rate, so 80k cases means 800,000 tests. She probably has the most accurate data.
I'm sure it is delayed and missing some data, that has to be expected. This page on the same site is helpful though to see the progress by day and results...

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 3.40.16 PM.png

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Another extremely misleading article, just proof of the mainstream media’s positioning:

Malaria Drug Chloroquine No Better Than Regular Coronavirus Care, Study Finds
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...no-better-than-regular-C0VlD-19-care-in-study

1. Look at the headline and then read the article. What is “Regular Coronavirus care“ according to the journalist? In the study its the use of ANOTHER effective set of antiviral drugs lopinavir and ritonavir. Although the Journalist wants you to believe that HCQ is just as affective as doing nothing, the reality its about as affective as another therapeutic treatment.

2. The own studies author says the entire study is invalid due to sample size http://subject.med.wanfangdata.com.cn/UpLoad/Files/202003/43f8625d4dc74e42bbcf24795de1c77c.pdf

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
I'm sure it is delayed and missing some data, that has to be expected. This page on the same site is helpful though to see the progress by day and results...

View attachment 31557
We’re almost at 100,000 tests per day, testing capacity is growing so fast. That’s really encouraging.

Kind of defeats the purpose of universal quarantine once you get to 200k-300k tests a day. You could test everyone in New York in about a month eventually.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
So, where's the source for your 800K tests?
View: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1242956568842457095?s=21

Dr. Birx says at some point the latest positive rate is about 10%, and I believe the Vice President said thats how you can get a number of how many tests were done. I could be off by a couple thousand.

Bottom line USA is undisputed leader in testing, with most tests total and most daily tests.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Kind of defeats the purpose of universal quarantine once you get to 200k-300k tests a day. You could test everyone in New York in about a month eventually.

How do you get from 200-300k tests a day to defeating the purpose of universal quarantine? Then you say you can test everyone in NY ina month? Wouldn’t they still need to be quarantined for a month?

I can’t connect your dots at all here.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
A friend in Houston just received this emergency alert on her phone.

Extreme alert.
STAY HOME. C0VlD-19 case count is rapidly rising in every area of Harris County. Protect yourself and your family by staying home and severely limiting contact with others. Harris County issued a Stay Home Work Safe order thru April 3, 2020. Non-essential businesses must close. Remain at home except for essential activities. Visit readyharris.org for more.

In related news, several weeks ago, the mayor of Houston decided to combat this sickness by taking all of his staff to "AsiaTown" for lunch and urging his fellow citizens to do the same.

For some reason, Harris county sent out this alert THREE DAYS after the original announcement (3/23), which made everyone think the other shoe had dropped.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
How do you get from 200-300k tests a day to defeating the purpose of universal quarantine? Then you say you can test everyone in NY ina month? Wouldn’t they still need to be quarantined for a month?

I can’t connect your dots at all here.
You don’t have to test every single person in every city, you need to test enough to catch out breaks. South Korea tested 0.5% of its population and is able to contain.

Once we found all cases, the amount of testing we can do is overkill to stop out breaks. Scott Gottlieb talks about this.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
You don’t have to test every single person in every city, you need to test enough to catch out breaks. South Korea tested 0.0004% of its population and is able to contain.

Once we found all cases, the amount of testing we can do is overkill to stop out breaks. Scott Gottlieb talks about this.

They started when the number of cases was very small. We can't stop testing now that we have almost 100,000 known cases. There's no possible way to trace so many contacts.

If we get it contained and it simmers down to something like a few dozen new cases a day, then yeah... we could think about forgoing mass testing. Until then, it doesn't make sense.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
A friend in Houston just received this emergency alert on her phone.

Extreme alert.
STAY HOME. C0VlD-19 case count is rapidly rising in every area of Harris County. Protect yourself and your family by staying home and severely limiting contact with others. Harris County issued a Stay Home Work Safe order thru April 3, 2020. Non-essential businesses must close. Remain at home except for essential activities. Visit readyharris.org for more.

In related news, several weeks ago, the mayor of Houston decided to combat this sickness by taking all of his staff to "AsiaTown" for lunch and urging his fellow citizens to do the same.

At 2:40p today Illinois joined New York, California, Florida, Washington and Louisiana as a state that is approved for "Federal Disaster Declaration."

I'm trying to google now to understand what that is or what that means, and why our status changed from whatever it was originally.

Our infected cases are being reported on the news as "doubling"
-this was the stat the last time I checked it : 2,538 total cases, and 26 deaths.

We are being advised to not come out of our houses for any reason, unless it's absolutely necessary to do so, or if we are performing an essential duty.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Governments here in North America most likely already made these decisions in Jan. and Feb. that we are seeing now. Everything is most likely already laid out on how they want things to go. The numbers we see are most likely delayed as they go through them first.

Other countries have shown that if the government wants to, they can lockdown and test heavily and quickly to minimize death's, panic and economic harm. We've already past that line of action.

When think about what you would want to do when a new threat like this is discovered. You would want an isolated group of people that you could observe and test things with. This way can learn how and what this virus does. Whether people can get reinfected etc..

When I think back here in Ontario, Canada the first "quarantined" people (that publicly know of) were taken to military bases. I believe they have been there for over a month, with a small line in the media about some being released yesterday out of the 200+ that were originally taken there. No doubt they have been "observed". All other travelers since have been told to self isolate. So am sure they are well aware of more than they will disclose, until they want to.

The interesting part is how we have different states, and provinces instigating different controls. If/When people decide to start moving to different regions that are more lax that will be interesting to see how governments react. Since holding onto a taxpayer in a country and then region is basically paramount above all else. Of course through all this, you have the interests of individual politicians and the people in there circles coming into play.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
You don’t have to test every single person in every city, you need to test enough to catch out breaks. South Korea tested 0.0004% of its population and is able to contain.

My calculator must be broken because it’s saying that 51,000,000 people and 370,000 tests is .75%. Which type do you use?

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
I find this all to be very interesting and confusing. I think we can all agree that the discussion here was ahead of the curve when this all started.

Maybe @Vigilante is right. Maybe he is now "ahead of the curve" like the forum was earlier. I do wonder, with the first case being in November, how it is possible that the virus didn't spread everywhere due to the nature of it. People are contagious for days without showing symptoms, there were no tests, and many many people are talking about having a "bad flu" that tested negative for the flu.

But, data doesn't lie. A lot of people are sick and dying. We're out of PPE and starting to run out of hospital beds. I just wonder why the spread seems to be so delayed. It all doesn't really add up to me. I appreciate both sides of the discussion and think this is the best place on the internet to be informed on this.

So for now I'd rather be safe than sorry. I will be sitting at home watching it all unfold.

Last edited:

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
I find this all to be very interesting and confusing. I think we can all agree that the discussion here was ahead of the curve when this all started.

Maybe @Vigilante is right. Maybe he is now "ahead of the curve" like the forum was earlier. I do wonder, with the first case being in November, how it is possible that the virus didn't spread everywhere due to the nature of it. People are contagious for days without showing symptoms, there were no tests, and many many people are talking about having a "bad flu" that tested negative for the flu.

But, New York City seems to be in trouble. We're out of PPE and starting to run out of hospital beds. It all doesn't really add up to me. I appreciate both sides of the discussion and think this is the best place on the internet to be informed on this.

So for now I'd rather be safe than sorry. I will be sitting at home watching it all unfold hoping that the markets come back down so I can buy in and my puts pay out.

I haven’t seen any actual proof the hospitals in NY are over whelmed.

just a lot of hysteria

even cuomo was screaming he needs 30,000 ventilators now or 26,000 people are going to die while the entire country had like 3,000 hospitalizations total

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
I haven’t seen any actual proof the hospitals in NY are over whelmed.

just a lot of hysteria

even cuomo was screaming he needs 30,000 ventilators now or 26,000 people are going to die while the entire country had like 3,000 hospitalizations total
Edited that before I saw your reply. Wasn't the message I was trying to convey

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I am furious with this whole shit show. My daughter has gone to second urgent care now.....can't hardly breathe. Has a fever, and the cough. Dr says he suspects covid, but won't test her. Then he asked her if she has been around anyone with Covid. My daughter replied "how would I know that? You guys won't test anyone".

Jeezus Christ !!!

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
I am furious with this whole shit show. My daughter has gone to second urgent care now.....can't hardly breathe. Has a fever, and the cough. Dr says he suspects covid, but won't test her. Then he asked her if she has been around anyone with Covid. My daughter replied "how would I know that? You guys won't test anyone".

Jeezus Christ !!!
Jesus dude just lie and say she met with someone from Wuhan or something
They will take your word for it probably

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018

I'm so sorry, @biggeemac . That's awful.

It's hitting me hard, too. I found out yesterday that my mom has all the symptoms. And they won't test her, either. :wideyed::arghh::inpain::mad::rage:

Both of my parents have compromised lungs due to mold in their house.

My mom is my biggest hero and my favorite person in the whole world besides my husband. Ugh. I didn't want this to be part of the story for her. Or for me. Or for anyone.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I'm so sorry, @biggeemac . That's awful.

It's hitting me hard, too. I found out yesterday that my mom has all the symptoms. And they won't test her, either. :wideyed::arghh::inpain::mad::rage:

Both of my parents have compromised lungs due to mold in their house.

My mom is my biggest hero and my favorite person in the whole world besides my husband. Ugh. I didn't want this to be part of the story for her. Or for me. Or for anyone.

Hope all is well!

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
I'm surprised how little talk there is in the media about prevention. Actually I'm not.

For instance boosting your zinc and Vit. C, D (lots of sunlight) and E will help you not getting contaminated.

Also Wheatgrass juice and Sunflower Greens are loaded with easily assimilable Selenium. I grow these on an industrial scale right now and give to all my friends and family. There is a lot more we can do than just sit and wait.

(not medical advice)

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Looks like the media was wrong again

Attachments

• CA0A91B2-67B9-48E3-A05C-A9957655BD11.jpeg
    CA0A91B2-67B9-48E3-A05C-A9957655BD11.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 64

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I've spent much of today pondering the predictions made on this forum, and the more I think about it, the more I believe that the infection and death toll will be higher than many of us anticipate.

Comparing this to the Spanish Flu: According to the CDC, about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this Spanish Flu virus. The estimated number of deaths was at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

Some Observations:
I don't see how we expect such drastically lower numbers from C0VlD-19. It's true that medical technology has advanced quite a bit, but on the flip side, our population is more urban (meaning more people packed in closer proximity), less fit, more likely to travel, and more likely to depend on the government for food and shelter. Plus, we no longer produce many of our own medicines and vitamins.

In 1918, the U.S. population was 103 million. Now it's triple that. The Spanish Flu came in three waves. With C0VlD-19, we're only on the first wave, and the numbers are still climbing. C0VlD-19 is more contagious than the Spanish flu, and may have a higher mortality rate. (According to Stanford, the Spanish flu mortality rate was 2.5%. Estimates on the C0VlD-19 mortality rate very wildly by country, but it seems unlikely that they're significantly lower than 2.5% overall.)

If I were a betting person, I'd bet that the death toll here in the U.S. will reach at least 60,000 by summer's end, possibly much sooner. It's not that I want this to happen. I just don't see the numerical evidence that it won't, unless we take further drastic measures as far as social distancing, or a miracle cure or vaccine is developed ahead of expectations.

And let's say (heaven forbid) that 60,000 Americans die by the end of Summer. Is it officially not a Nothing Burger? Or is that number still not high enough? Not being snarky, just wondering ahead of time at what point I get to taunt @Rivoli with my screen captures of his posts? (Sorry, just a little dark humor here.)

But it's a serious question. At which point is this officially a Something Burger?

Last edited:

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
I've spent much of today pondering the predictions made on this forum, and the more I think about it, the more I believe that the infection and death toll will be higher than many of us anticipate.

Comparing this to the Spanish Flu: According to the CDC, about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this Spanish Flu virus. The estimated number of deaths was at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

Some Observations:
I don't see how we expect such drastically lower numbers from C0VlD-19. It's true that medical technology has advanced quite a bit, but on the flip side, our population is more urban (meaning more people packed in closer proximity), less fit, more likely to travel, and more likely to depend on the government for food and shelter. Plus, we no longer produce many of our own medicines and vitamins.

In 1918, the U.S. population was 103 million. Now it's triple that. The Spanish Flu came in three waves. With C0VlD-19, we're only on the first wave, and the numbers are still climbing. C0VlD-19 is more contagious than the Spanish flu, and may have a higher mortality rate. (According to Stanford, the Spanish flu mortality rate was 2.5%. Estimates on the C0VlD-19 mortality rate very wildly by country, but it seems unlikely that they're significantly lower than 2.5% overall.)

If I were a betting person, I'd bet that the death toll here in the U.S. will reach at least 60,000 by summer's end, possibly much sooner. It's not that I want this to happen. I just don't see the numerical evidence that it won't, unless we take further drastic measures as far as social distancing, or a miracle cure or vaccine is developed ahead of expectations.

And let's say (heaven forbid) that 60,000 Americans die by the end of Summer. It is officially not a Nothing Burger? Or is that number still not high enough? Not being snarky, just wondering ahead of time at what point I get to taunt @Rivoli with my screen captures of his posts? (Sorry, just a little dark humor here.)

But it's a serious question. At which point is this officially a Something Burger?
Brother life expectancy was like 40 years old in 1918.

the death rate from this is like 0.3% when you count untested cases

it’s a nothing burger

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!