The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
CLOSE THE F*ckING AIRPORTS!!!! Deploy troops with live rounds to enforce it.
This is not the time for irresponsible ****ers to travel around and get infected and infect others!
You're not going to die just because you don't travel for 2 months!

Damn dude. I think you can just close the airport. Planes won't fly without authorization. No need to send in the troops the wholesale murder citizens. "I'll save lives by slaughtering these people waiting in line at the airport!" Come on!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Li Wenliang
was a Chinese ophthalmologist at Wuhan Central Hospital who on 30 December 2019 warned fellow colleagues about a possible outbreak of an illness that resembled severe acute respiratory syndrome(SARS), later acknowledged as C0VlD-19, on WeChat. He became a whistleblower when his warnings were later shared publicly.[1][2] On 3 January 2020, Wuhan police summoned and admonished him for "making false comments on the Internet".[1][3] Li returned to work, later contracted the virus from an infected patient and died from the disease on 7 February 2020, at age 33.

A 33 year old doctor/whistleblower in perfect health dies from the disease. Yea... sounds legit.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
Damn dude. I think you can just close the airport. Planes won't fly without authorization. No need to send in the troops the wholesale murder citizens. "I'll save lives by slaughtering these people waiting in line at the airport!" Come on!

The interesting thing is that I’m sure private aviation will still be running. It’s more equivalent to being in a private car, so no reason to shut it down.

if the do halt all travel, which I think is likely, the value of having a plane and license will suddenly take on new value.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
And more broadly, classical liberal.

Be the one who is the most level headed in your area. Nothing is more important than that.

The biggest dangers come from people, either protesters turned rioters, or government trying to clear the streets. People are now panicked because all their emotional buttons have been pushed by propaganda-style news/ emo-broadcasting. The heightened emotions of humans will likely damage more than the virus at this point.

It's not that the virus isn't real, of course it is. Similar strands have been studied for years in case they ever jumped to human populations in large numbers. But people shouldn't be whipped into a frenzy of useless activity and aggression over it. You have an immune system. Keep up your health and nutrition as much as possible, at your age you'll be better off than most, if you do get sick. Keep sneezing / coughing people away from your grandparents, if possible.

Since you're in the city, having some extra food and water is probably a good idea. An analgesic like paracetamol or ibuprofen is probably all you need from the first aid kit, maybe a thermometer... that way if someone is sick at least you can reduce fever and make them comfortable, and measure temperature. I don't know what the medical infrastructure is like there, but if there are lots of cases, it's likely they will be treating people in tents or asking them to self-quarantine at home.
I exactly needed this. Will try to be level headed more even though I am calmest in my circle.

Yes I am not worried about myself but about parents. They may get sick easily.

Anyhow thanks for the detailed info. I will doing these things.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Just came back from a trip to Walmart, Publix and PETCO (don't forget your pets' needs) to stock up to 30 day supply. As noted in an earlier comment - we had a real hard time in the canned veg aisle. However, the chef figured things out.

Why the run on flour, sugar and baking items? Maybe with kids home from school there's a lot of cookie baking to pass the time?

I was getting some peanut butter and a dad with two boys walked up. One of the boys, I'm guessing around 10, said, "Thank God - there's still Nutella." I couldn't help but start laughing.

Being from Florida, we're use to this kind of thing...well sort of, because of the hurricane threat. Big difference with COVID over a hurricane is that we expect basic services, water and electricity, to remain available. Hurricanes force relocation because there's the very real threat of flooding, structural damage and loss of basic services within a relatively well defined and geographically small area. Stating the obvious here, but with COVID we don't want people moving around. We want people to "shelter in place" to help flatten the infection curve.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
CLOSE THE F*ckING AIRPORTS!!!! Deploy troops with live rounds to enforce it.
This is not the time for irresponsible ****ers to travel around and get infected and infect others!
You're not going to die just because you don't travel for 2 months!
Fortunately, you won't need the troops. When a country closes it's boarders and restricts or eliminates travel the planes can't land and therefore won't fly internationally. Even private planes must get country clearance before they enter a nation's airspace and land at it's airports.

Domestic travel is another issue, but again - if a government restricts travel, the planes won't fly.

Now what to do about a country's citizens that were outside the boarders, say on vacation or biz travel? Do we let them come home? If not, how are they cared for while overseas. If there's no air travel how do they get home?

Bottom line: yes, we need to restrict travel. No, we'll not need military folks at the airports to enforce it.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
UK is not going to be locking down. They are going to let the virus run its course. Maybe it will work.

Maybe this really is a

It will be fascinating to see the contrast in the two approaches. But... my guess is that it won't last long.

When the hospitals get overrun, the public will beg for the heel of government at their throats.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I find it funny that all the talk was on climate change and how its going to wipe us out and then a little vrius snuck along and the world has shat its pants.

I'm still living my life as normal. I went to the gym today and there was hardly anybody on the machines. It was F*cking great.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Point of Information:

In times like these when information is unknown, sketchy, unverifiable, and a lot of speculation, all you can do is FACTUALLY OBSERVE what is happening, and use that to make decisions.

This is why I prepped 4 weeks ago. This is why I stocked up on ammo and got 3 more weapons. This is why I was ready before the media started addressing it.

But here are the facts:

First: China's reaction to this virus was unimaginable, like straight out of an apocalyptic movie. Lock downs, full hazmat gear, quarantines, medical shanty towns ... THAT IS A FACT. From that fact, you can DEDUCE that they know the origin, threat, and likely epidemiology that his virus poses.

Second.

Trillions of dollars are at stake.

Major, billion/trillion dollar industries have gone on hiatus.

You simply don't do that for a flu. For a minor threat. Not when you stand to lose billions. To put it medically, industry knows that this can destroy the patient (the worldwide economy) if they don't address it, so they've decided to amputate a leg (a few months of industry) in order to stave it off.

Again, in life, if you really want to gauge the severity of something (or lack of severity) all you need to do is follow the money. Money is telegraphing that this is BIG, from the markets, to the shutdowns.

I don't care about pro sports -- but it was a big indicator, another datapoint to analyze. And it also made it REAL for the generally uninformed.

I hope the money flow is wrong and that yes, this is a nothing burger. The world's countermeasures perhaps can make that more likely. I hold hope as it seems to be a worldwide effort.

So who here has changed their daily life so far?

I stopped going to the gym 4 weeks ago. I've gained 6 pounds. I've never done well with the flu, this thing I don't want to get.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
As a follow up on my roommate who came home sick Thursday morning:

He is feeling better today, his brother did mention that he usually isn’t this sick. He was coughing a lot, constant headache, and temperature swings. Temperature never went over 100 though.

All in all, he wasn’t too bad. But now another roommate is getting sick (had the closest contact with him).

He called to see if he could get tested Thursday, but the turned him down because he was too young & healthy. So we are unsure, but it didn’t seem like it was horrible.

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
This thread is like a time capsule, evolving in real time.

In one month and in the months ahead, it will be fascinating what was said here now, as compared to understanding how things unfold in reality.

Hindsight vision will still be muddy, but while taking advantage of a crisis, the US National government will be seen as opportunists and action-fakers, while the local governments like in WA and NY will be seen as action-takers.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
As a follow up on my roommate who came home sick Thursday morning:

He is feeling better today, his brother did mention that he usually isn’t this sick. He was coughing a lot, constant headache, and temperature swings. Temperature never went over 100 though.

All in all, he wasn’t too bad. But now another roommate is getting sick (had the closest contact with him).

He called to see if he could get tested Thursday, but the turned him down because he was too young & healthy. So we are unsure, but it didn’t seem like it was horrible.
I think they said it starts like this. You feel better and then it progresses in different stages.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
I think they said it starts like this. You feel better and then it progresses in different stages.
Can you explain a bit further/provide a source? I care about these people, so leaving it open-ended like that leaves me at unease. I’m still trying to understand what is qualified as “mild symptoms” for this. @GIlman would appreciate your input as well, and anyone else.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
Just a note to everyone shilling that we’re 10 days behind Italy. We’re actually around 30. We have 3 times the beds per 100,000.

Not even counting that we’re like 6 times their population. If they are breaking down at 10,000 cases, we’ll break down at like 60,000

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I've been bouncing around forums spending way more time than I should reading about this stuff, and this is about the only CS that I believe has a high chance of being true.

I've had one close personal account who I posted earlier about in this thread (a client early 30s) who went down for a month and was on a respirator late Jan/early Feb. He got tested for flu and it was negative. Asked to get tested for corona and nobody would of course because I doubt they even had any tests in MN where he lives. It kept getting worse past what you'd typically see with the flu and they just told him it was "a nasty virus."

I've seen a lot of other people across other forums (Vigilante on here as well) also say that they came down with something flu-like and got tested negative for flu, but all of them are saying they've never had anything like it. (seems to be a little more severe and more respiratory issues than the flu)

My personal opinion/speculation is that it has been here for quite a while and that there are tons of cases, but most people won't even feel the symptoms of it due to a healthy immune system.

Unfortunately I think it's like the flu in that the immunocompromised are the ones at risk, and there's really nothing we can do to stop them from getting it; just like with the flu they (and their families) are going to have to just deal with it. Not trying to be insensitive I just think that's the reality.

That's why I think any kind of mandatory quarantine is just silly. It's going to come right back after the quarantine is over unless you literally force people with serious, serious consequences to stay in their homes for 4-6 weeks straight. AND you have to enforce that, which seems impossible.

I don't really know what is going on in Wuhan because it's tough to trust what they're reporting, but if they have indeed slowed this down considerably with a quarantine, I believe it's just going to start back over again spreading exponentially once they let everyone go back to life as usual.

My family had something in late Decemeber/early January. My mum had a bad cold and a fever, knocked her out for a week. I also had a temperature for 1-2 weeks around that time - normally I feel colder than anyone and I'm always with a blanket lol, but I was lounging around in shorts fanning myself in the middle of winter. Both of us felt like it was a different kind of cold/flu. No coughing or sore throat, but a fever and feeling very tired. My voice is still not back to normal 3 months later

It's controversial but I agree with the UK's method. Keep the old and sick at home, let the healthy people develop immunity.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Michigan Cracking Down with Better Business Bureau

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Perfect example of how not having enough test capability is creating confusion and risks increase exposure. They didn't test this person because of their age and health. Therefore this person doesn't know if they're spreading COVID or just dealing with influenza or a cold. Some people would self-isolate out of caution, some will not. Some will say, well if I was a risk they'd have told me. End result, more people potentially spreading the disease, risking infecting more vulnerable people.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Yo, i'm trying to not get political, but seriously

F*ck this guy

Idiotic comments like this put SO many at-risk people in danger.

I shouldn't even humor this but holy crap...

A) China is not our enemy
B) The Chinese are Laughing that we're closing schools??? They're taking 100x stronger actions
C) C0VlD-19 NOT the 19th Coronavirus.. it was named after the year the disease was identified.
C2) C0VlD-19 isn't even a virus. It's the disease caused by the virus.

Yea, we should listen the medical expertise of a guy who wanted "a medal for smoking cigars" because "smoking doesn't kill":

Delete my comment if it's too politicized, but holy shit.

This guy is seriously dangerous. There are people who listen to him for guidance.. I had to go back and find this reply

I personally have in-laws who have a single source of news -- Fox News. And as of this morning, they are still convinced that the "liberal media" has forced Trump to "pretend" that this is a crisis (their words). They still remember his words from last month about the crisis being manufactured -- a "hoax" -- and don't believe the President is being sincere in his about-face on the topic.

Not sure how that can be rectified, but unless it is, this thing may potentially be much worse than it needs to be.
Jesus I hope this ends Limbaugh's career - but I'm not counting on it.

aspenriver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 10, 2014
The situation in Russia was asked a some pages back...
We get a bit of information here in Finland due to being a neighboring country.

Just saw a news article that stated:
  • Russia has it's first 3 cases which weren't people that had caught it abroad. The official report however can't be found on the government agency website for some reason even though it is being reported in the state media
  • Different sources have different numbers of infected. Coronavirus-stat.ru is given as one source
  • The low numbers of infected is something that a part of the population is wondering about. Some are thinking that the authorities are downplaying to avoid panic. Others think it is because of the health care system - either people don't want to go and get tested or they are not being tested
  • There is a debate about if Russia should close it's borders and lockdown. Billionaire Deripaska says if the epidemic is not controlled it could be worse than the fall of the Soviet Union. The problem with a lockdown is the country's reliance on factories and other industry that can't be worked from home.
  • There are pictures of soccer fans going to a highest league game yesterday so they haven't closed down sports yet. Another photo shows fans getting tested for fever when they enter the arena.

nowap

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Jan 24, 2020

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Aaaaargh! I hope citing this article is meant tongue-in-cheek or something. It seriously cites a paper from Nature Medicine, saying UNC Chapel Hill researchers "created" novel coronavirus, yet if you read the actual paper it's perfectly clear that they did not create it. They were studying the over 5,000 wild coronavirus types that were (apparently correctly) believed to be able to jump from bats to humans without mutation. They discovered a strand that exists in the wild, and laid down some foundational research for how a vaccine might be made.

Check out the full citation. One is of particular interest, Shi ZL aka Shi Zhengli, Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China.

She worked with researchers at Chapel Hill where they created a chimeric virus to study in their lab.

Shi has been more recently working back in Wuhan and around China on bat hunting expeditions.

Chinese media and the people of Wuhan have accused her of having involvement in the release of SARS-CoV-2. She swears on her life that her lab had nothing to do with it.

It’s not too far fetched to consider that someone working in the lab became infected and introduced the virus to the seafood market.

I’m not saying that this is the truth by any means. But it’s certainly stranger than fiction.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I find it funny that all the talk was on climate change and how its going to wipe us out and then a little vrius snuck along and the world has shat its pants.
Makes perfectly good sense that climate change is taking a backseat to C0VlD-19. C0VlD-19 is a more immediate risk unfolding much faster than climate change. It is in our real-time here and now. People are getting sick and dying right now. On the other hand, climate change remains a huge risk to our long term outlook, but because it is unfolding at a much slower rate, it is getting pushed out. As human's we'll likely keep pushing climate change out because, "I'll be dead by the time that happens," is an all too common refrain.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.