The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
By the way is anyone else just absolutely fixated on this stuff? I can't concentrate on anything else. I consume headlines as fast as they appear. I check up on all sources of news, left right mainstream fringe forums messageboards social media whatever, I'm good at sifting through the crap and coming up with what I think is the actual news. I'm set as far as prepping goes, and I've done my best to guide my immediate family and friends on being set up for when the bad wave hits, so I'm basically just sitting at home in front of the computer all day doing nothing but reading.

I should probably be doing something more productive though, but aside from the tragic elements this is actually a historic, possibly once in a lifetime event, and I'm trying to soak it all in.
Sounds a bit like you’ve turned into an information consumer?

If you’ve all that time on your hands then maybe think if there’s anything you can do to help people close to you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Any theories on why Russia has only 50ish confirmed cases?

I'm not looking for conspiracy theories necessarily. I just find it odd that a country of 140+ Million isn't more affected, given their proximity to Western Europe and China. I get that the bulk of their population isn't that close to Wuhan, but it's closer than the US.

Is it a lack of transparency?
Were they more prepared?
Are they more equipped to handle the situation?

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
New press conference in Denmark from our government.

A help package to employees and companies in the private sector.

To avoid mass layoffs in private companies, the government will pay 75% of the salaries for the employees in the private sector, up till 23.000 DKK ($3,400) / month. If you earn more than that, the company must pay the rest. If you're hourly paid, the limit is 26.000 DKK ($3,800) / month.

To use this package, you cannot fire anyone in your company.

The help package is, for now, available in the following three months.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Population density. The open space provides some buffer. Note that the areas with the highest population density are getting it the worst

Look at Europe and China. Even in the US: New York, California and Washington are getting it the absolute worst..

2 reasons population density is affecting things: A) people are simply closer together to spread the disease, and B) there are simply more people able to catch it. So cities are going to be significantly more at risk.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have also heard this and that many of this year’s flu deaths could be related.

Nothing would surprise me today.

CDC ordered USAMRIID at Fort Detrick in Maryland to shut down immediately back in August 2019. Coronaviruses were being studied/manipulated in that lab.

Interesting. I wonder if some of us have already unknowingly gotten it and recovered.

The world moves very quickly when we aren’t in times of panic, hysteria and meltdown.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Population density. The open space provides some buffer. Note that the areas with the highest population density are getting it the worst
Makes sense, but Moscow and St. Petersburg have higher densities than any US city. If C0VlD-19 is there, I have to assume it would be spreading at the same rate or higher than the US.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
So who here has changed their daily life so far?

I have to admit, I just do whatever I want. It was nice to go to Home Depot today, a Saturday, and there was about as many people there as an average Tuesday morning.

I have gone out to eat several times. I will go to church tomorrow. I’ll probably play golf after.

Maybe I should be more afraid of it, but am just not.

I have been more conscious not to touch my face while out and about. I wash my hands when I get home. I wipe out phone down once or twice a day. I take advantage of the hand sanitizer in public places. I also have plenty of food and consumables to stay home for a month if need be. I am just as heavily armed as usual. I don’t lick random people. That’s about it.

Have most people seriously isolated themselves? Not saying it is stupid or anything... I just haven’t gone to those extremes.
Wife and I have made some adjustments but nothing extreme as yet. We weren't huge social animals anyway, so no major changes required there. We are cleaning common surfaces more, but since we don't have much company in the house it seems like over kill. I did finally clean the driver and passenger side of my truck.

Our biggest challenge is deciding what food to stock up on. My wife was a chef before cancer and some war related issues took her out of circulation. We tend to eat mostly fresh produce. She's stocked up on proteins in the freezer. But deciding what canned goods to buy has proven, I hate to say it, comically challenging.

We are paying more attention to those around us. Trying to keep the recommended 6' if possible and I don't shake hands any more. It's funny, there's a natural action to reach out my hand and then I laugh and say something like, "how about the COVID elbow bumb instead?"

On a more positive note. I had a good conversation with our neighbor yesterday. He's elderly, living alone and closest family is in NY. His synagogue was his primary support group and they've suspended all gatherings. We've always been friendly and chatted, but yesterday I told him flat out, if you need anything here's my number.

Last edited:

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
My wife and I were wondering the same thing. It's very hard with a country like Russia to know what's going on and what's the truth. No conspiracy theory, just the reality that their government has very tight control over their media. Like with China, we may never fully understand the truth of C0VlD-19 impact on Russia.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

I'm not looking for conspiracy theories necessarily. I just find it odd that a country of 140+ Million isn't more affected, given their proximity to Western Europe and China. I get that the bulk of their population isn't that close to Wuhan, but it's closer than the US.

Is it a lack of transparency?
Were they more prepared?
Are they more equipped to handle the situation?
As far as I'm aware they locked down their borders right away. The globalist media is all about open borders so this doesn't get mentioned, while China gets praised for welding people into their apartment.

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
I was just reading an article earlier about how CV might be the death of modern globalism, or at least, severely push it back.

People are already rethinking their outsourced manufacturing. If it becomes a yearly occurence like the flu, it will just add fuel to the nationalist fire.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Makes sense, but Moscow and St. Petersburg have higher densities than any US city. If C0VlD-19 is there, I have to assume it would be spreading at the same rate or higher than the US.
Just looked it up:

Lol.

Just want to reiterate that these 'confirmed cases' are likely a tiny percentage of actual cases since testing isn't widespread.

Tossek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 5, 2019
Germany
People are already rethinking their outsourced manufacturing. If it becomes a yearly occurence like the flu, it will just add fuel to the nationalist fire.

The moment stock holders are pushing on profit, they will again start to minimize the costs. Aaaand we are back to where we were before.

VDP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 11, 2019
Not trying to create fear but, in the Netherlands, there is a 16-year-old in the intensive care fighting for his life. Statistically, the chance is still not that big if you're younger. It happens tho. Meanwhile, on my Instagram feed, in the very same country, which is very small, people are holding corona parties...

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
The new infections will slow down after a certain number of people have already been infected and recovered. The number I have heard, is that it is 1% of the total population. WA has 7.5M people, so 1% of that is 75k. Maybe 1% is the wrong number, I don't know, but it is some number. It will be interesting to see if WA's new infections decline after 75K.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/simple-math-alarming-answers-C0VlD-19/

As the health care system becomes saturated with cases, it will become increasingly difficult to detect, track, and contain new transmission chains. In the absence of extreme interventions like those implemented in China, this trend likely won’t slow significantly until hitting at least 1% of the population, or about 3.3 million Americans.
Dude, this virus spread in China for 3 months from November until February, during the largest human migration in history. It only infected 0.00005 of China population

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
I was just reading an article earlier about how CV might be the death of modern globalism, or at least, severely push it back.

look at el Erian’s latest tweet. He said this will de-globalize the world. Thank god.

especially for medicines which China makes 90% of for UsA. They could kill us

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Not trying to create fear but, in the Netherlands, there is a 16-year-old in the intensive care fighting for his life. Statistically, the chance is still not that big if you're younger. It happens tho. Meanwhile, on my Instagram feed, in the very same country, which is very small, people are holding corona parties...
Bet he has underlying condition

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Very sorry, all of us in the Netherlands are about to experience this situation with all our friends and family. Hopefully we can stay as healthy as possible. We all need prayers all over the world that we can be strong enough to pull through this time in the best of our abilities. I don't think it matters what age we are, it's whether our bodies can fight it off.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014

Look back on post #1119, so far I have been pretty spot on with what I thought would happen, this was exactly the point I made back then where I though this all was going to go.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...c-discussion-thread.93173/page-38#post-858584

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Just as a random aside.. you know since we’re clearly lacking stuff to discuss and all..

Cooking dried beans takes WAAAAAAAY WAAAAAAY
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
longer than I originally imagined. I tried it tonight just for fun. We didn’t eat until 10pm. Just FYI.. those beans were still kinda hard. Hmmm that’s an idea.
New challenge!!!!

#CoronaHARD
Post a meme
Read 10 posts about the end of the world - listening to YouTube does NOT count!!!!
Drink a gallon of specialized charcoal filtrated water
Only eat rice and beans - ONLY dried beans you cook yourself count! Canned beans are for pussies!
Workout in your home for 45 min
Workout outside but no farther than ten feet from your home for 45min

Hehehehe...

ETA: You’ll note.. there’s no number. That’s because until the “authorities” say it’s over.. it never, ever, ever ends. We just keep eating beans.

Soak them overnight first. That is the Jedi way.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Very sorry, all of us in the Netherlands are about to experience this situation with all our friends and family. Hopefully we can stay as healthy as possible. We all need prayers all over the world that we can be strong enough to pull through this time in the best of our abilities. I don't think it matters what age we are, it's whether our bodies can fight it off.
1135 right now!
https://www.rivm.nl/en/news/current-information-about-novel-coronavirus-C0VlD-19

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Serious question. If we don’t get accurate testing for another 4-6 weeks and then it takes another 6-10 weeks to test a majority of the population.. how will we know it’s “over”?

We’ll be stuck just listening to the media yeah?

So first, infections will decrease (after increasing) whether or not there is any intervention, because that's biology. Of course, there are good and bad interventions, so we may either mitigate or exacerbate it (google a photo of JFK Airport right now, with everyone waiting to fill out CDC surveys, probably using the same pen). Then, after the decrease, when we're exhausted from listening to the same thing on the news, and finally stop watching their advertisements, and we know more people who have died of skin cancer, bathroom slip and falls, and industrial accidents than the novel coronavirus, we'll suddenly know it's over because our attention will be diverted to the next thing.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Dude, this virus spread in China for 3 months from November until February, during the largest human migration in history. It only infected 0.00005 of China population

Largest human migration, or largest annual human migration?

If we assume that most of China's 80k infections occurred around Wuhan with it's 11M population, then 0.72% of the population was infected.

I don't like having to put more work in to correcting your statements than you put in to making them.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I heard about a conspiracy theory that CV has been stateside since basically the very beginning and the numbers of infected people and even inactive, recovered cases could be massive. We just don’t know because they haven’t been testing for it that long.

Thoughts?

I've been bouncing around forums spending way more time than I should reading about this stuff, and this is about the only CS that I believe has a high chance of being true.

I've had one close personal account who I posted earlier about in this thread (a client early 30s) who went down for a month and was on a respirator late Jan/early Feb. He got tested for flu and it was negative. Asked to get tested for corona and nobody would of course because I doubt they even had any tests in MN where he lives. It kept getting worse past what you'd typically see with the flu and they just told him it was "a nasty virus."

I've seen a lot of other people across other forums (Vigilante on here as well) also say that they came down with something flu-like and got tested negative for flu, but all of them are saying they've never had anything like it. (seems to be a little more severe and more respiratory issues than the flu)

My personal opinion/speculation is that it has been here for quite a while and that there are tons of cases, but most people won't even feel the symptoms of it due to a healthy immune system.

Unfortunately I think it's like the flu in that the immunocompromised are the ones at risk, and there's really nothing we can do to stop them from getting it; just like with the flu they (and their families) are going to have to just deal with it. Not trying to be insensitive I just think that's the reality.

That's why I think any kind of mandatory quarantine is just silly. It's going to come right back after the quarantine is over unless you literally force people with serious, serious consequences to stay in their homes for 4-6 weeks straight. AND you have to enforce that, which seems impossible.

I don't really know what is going on in Wuhan because it's tough to trust what they're reporting, but if they have indeed slowed this down considerably with a quarantine, I believe it's just going to start back over again spreading exponentially once they let everyone go back to life as usual.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Quoting my own post because @Primeperiwinkle wants to get weird

;)

Aaaaargh! I hope citing this article is meant tongue-in-cheek or something. It seriously cites a paper from Nature Medicine, saying UNC Chapel Hill researchers "created" novel coronavirus, yet if you read the actual paper it's perfectly clear that they did not create it. They were studying the over 5,000 wild coronavirus types that were (apparently correctly) believed to be able to jump from bats to humans without mutation. They discovered a strand that exists in the wild, and laid down some foundational research for how a vaccine might be made.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
Sounds a bit like you’ve turned into an information consumer?

If you’ve all that time on your hands then maybe think if there’s anything you can do to help people close to you?

Yeah, I've always been a bit of a news junkie, but it goes up to 11, especially during interesting times.

I was however quite early with all this CV prepping stuff. It was weeks ago when I was bugging family and friends to start preparing for the worst, to start stocking up, etc. Even had some coworkers laughing at me. They called me chicken little. They called me bubble boy. It was only on Friday that it finally hit them that I might have been on to something. I had a good chat with a buddy of mine last night, and he said major stores in Vancouver have zero stock of stuff like canned goods. I'm also following the social distancing stance to a T: straight to work and back, no unnecessary social contact situations, and highly encouraging others to do the same, locally and online.

But yeah the bottom line I could probably be doing something more productive.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well, church was moved to a live cast this morning, so I guess I didn’t get to go like I had planned. Although our pastor Randy Harvey is doing a fantastic job despite of circumstances.

I am still going golfing though.

Last edited:

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
This is a nice read:

Meanwhile t
I highly recommend an Instant Pot. I've had one for about five years and use it all the time. I just bought a second, larger one so I can cook rice and beans at the same time.

Add beans and sort out any debris. Stick your finger to the top of the beans and add water until it's up to the knuckle in the middle of your finger. Then add some onions, garlic, pepper, soy sauce, and whatever seasonings you want. Set the manual setting for 30 minutes. Once it gets up to pressure let it cook until the time is finished and the pressure comes down naturally without using the steam release. The whole process takes about an hour.

You can also use it as a slow cooker. I have a batch of pinto beans with habenero cooking for 16 hours now.

Also rice is super easy in an Instant Pot. Since the steam stays in during the pressure cycle, all rice uses a 1:1 rice to water ratio. No matter if it's white rice, brown rice, sushi rice, I still use 1:1 but adjust the manual pressure cook time. About 6 minutes for white rice, 25 minutes for brown rice and let the steam release naturally.

My family always eats lots of beans. My grandma swears by this trick:

1. Place dried beans in boiling water and then turn off hear. Let sit for 24 hours.

2. Repeat.

3. Repeat.

4. Cook beans as normal.

The result is no farts.

Enjoy.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Sorry MJ DeMarco but you are not on tbat island alone, there's plenty who have the same believes as listed. These lie on the libertarian island, neither left nor right.

And more broadly, classical liberal.
Thanks man. Will wait for others to give their input.
@lowtek @Rabby @Roz

Be the one who is the most level headed in your area. Nothing is more important than that.

The biggest dangers come from people, either protesters turned rioters, or government trying to clear the streets. People are now panicked because all their emotional buttons have been pushed by propaganda-style news/ emo-broadcasting. The heightened emotions of humans will likely damage more than the virus at this point.

It's not that the virus isn't real, of course it is. Similar strands have been studied for years in case they ever jumped to human populations in large numbers. But people shouldn't be whipped into a frenzy of useless activity and aggression over it. You have an immune system. Keep up your health and nutrition as much as possible, at your age you'll be better off than most, if you do get sick. Keep sneezing / coughing people away from your grandparents, if possible.

Since you're in the city, having some extra food and water is probably a good idea. An analgesic like paracetamol or ibuprofen is probably all you need from the first aid kit, maybe a thermometer... that way if someone is sick at least you can reduce fever and make them comfortable, and measure temperature. I don't know what the medical infrastructure is like there, but if there are lots of cases, it's likely they will be treating people in tents or asking them to self-quarantine at home.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Even had some coworkers laughing at me. They called me chicken little. They called me bubble boy. It was only on Friday that it finally hit them that I might have been on to something. I had a good chat with a buddy of mine last night, and he said major stores in Vancouver have zero stock of stuff like canned goods
I got the same thing. "You're the only one reacting like this" ... "that's because I've been closely following the science"

I've looked at the papers, I've had conversations with my doctor friends ad-nauseam.

I really don't care at this point. The safety of myself and my family is infinitely more important than what people are thinking.

It's a pattern. I do something, get flack for it, then everyone is doing the same thing 3 days later and realize I was right.

I stocked up on food, people busted my balls, now the grocery shelves are bare. I stocked up on gloves and masks, people busted my balls, 3 days later they're sold out everywhere. I started self-isolating which has people pissed off, now they get it. People were calling me wanting to come over like "what you think my house is dirty?? I clean my house 3x per day" all offended, but now they get it. It's annoying but whatever. CT/NY are the most affected parts of the country. Just fight through any social stigma and do whatever you feel is right.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.